That's not me

That's not me

A Poem by Indyinn
"

Just something that popped into my head

"

Look at me and tell me what you see. I may not be who you think I am. Please don’t mistake my composure for being at ease, that may not be me.

 

They say I’m strong, but I’m not so sure. This is all I know how to be. I made a promise a long time ago that I wouldn’t let either of my daughters go. To hell and back but not dazed, lights of the future are dimmed I’m afraid.

 

Isolation has become my consolation for in it I find familiarity. I am familiar with having two jobs since I as twelve. I am familiar with being forgotten, overlooked and ignored. I am familiar with never getting enough sleep. I am familiar with never having enough money or time to be the mother my kids need and want me to be. I am familiar of having family but no family. I am familiar with not enough me.

 

Assumptions of others I have grown weary, so let them believe what they find necessary. Is she gay, have a boyfriend, never married, NOT DATING?! Alone all the time, what’s she hiding, is she faking? They just don’t get it, can’t understand, would rather believe I’m a lesbian, they choose what they see, cannot accept vows of celibacy.

 

Hypocrites, liars, putting on airs, people who don’t give a damn, just wanna get theirs, that’s not me. 

 

Caring, sharing, helping, preparing, people with stories worth telling…..wait, that is me!

© 2010 Indyinn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Appearances can be deceiving, your words show you are a strong person, I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Apparently it is you cuz this was a wonderful piece of writing with alot of real emotional substance. Bravo for hanging with your daughters, very admirable. Great work, can't wait to read more. Welcome to the site.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Not bad for something that just popped in to your head..
Seems like the character in this write is self doubting
unsure but dependable herself and self reliant...
Nice write....

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2010
Last Updated on October 6, 2010

Author

Indyinn
Indyinn

Seattle, WA



About
I'm a single mother of two who hasn't lost her mind yet. I am an activist, writer, artist and teacher. My greatest achievements are my 15 year old and my 7 year old. more..

Writing
Sometimes Sometimes

A Poem by Indyinn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Clairvoyant Clairvoyant

A Poem by Emily B


Spiral Spiral

A Poem by Robin