The Shot

The Shot

A Story by A.J.

The Shot

 

     I had wanted to take that shot, badly. It would have been convenient as I was standing on my porch and the buck was not thirty yards away, unaware of me one foot outside and the other just inside the crease in my front door. I knew I could take him, and that I could boast for days upon days about my triumph as a man and I could share the meat with my friends and family for weeks on end; our bellies full, testosterone and all that is natural for a man to feel satisfied and drunk. The dog would have his fill of bones and scraps, and the rest of humanity would hate us all, as if we would give a damn. I set my gaze down the sights and clicked the safety off, took a breath. It occurred to me in that instant that my freezer was full, and so were those of the men that I knew. I exhaled and made safe my gun as I lowered it, the deer still unaware as he slowly wandered off down into the valley below my house to take a drink from the spring ebbing from a rock face at the bottom. I sat the rest of the morning drinking my coffee, disappointed in a fashion only a few know, but full. That Buck would return as he always did, and I would be hungry then. 

© 2014 A.J.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't hunt; would never kill a deer.

But I could tell what it means to you in this story. And what it meant not to do it at that time.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J.

9 Years Ago

thanks for reading Marie. as I told Sami in his review, to most hunters, the trophy lies in the full.. read more
Excellent! I love the line, 'that buck would return as he always did, and I would be hungry then.' The imagery is rich in the whole piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J.

9 Years Ago

well thank you! lol. I try to keep my imagery styles different in my short stories from my poetry.. .. read more
I take it that the narrator hates killing game for the sport of it but in ultimate necessity. At least that is what I get in the gist...Excellent, sir...:).....

Posted 9 Years Ago


A.J.

9 Years Ago

that is most definitely the gist. the trophy lies in the bellies of his loved ones, not on his walls.. read more
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

Wow. You are welcome...:).....................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014
Tags: fiction, short story

Author

A.J.
A.J.

Ft. Gibson, OK



About
My pen name is AJ. As far as writing, I enjoy finding the beauty, the tragedy, the strength and the reality of everything, right down to smallest, seemingly most insignificant details. The world as I .. more..

Writing
Awkward Awkward

A Story by A.J.