Riding a Beast

Riding a Beast

A Story by Can't Just Pray
"

A dream, more than a story

"
So at first I was them, the person running. I made my way down through this man-made hole in the ground. It lead to a room that was vast and empty, but there was something in the middle. The walls were like cement, like the floors. I knew there was something to hide from down there, apart from my pursuers. I went into a corridor off to the side and tucked into a corner. I hear my pursuers come through the grate in the ground above. Then I hear them warn each other about 'what's down there.
Switch to third person.
There's a girl tucked in the corner I hid in. She's young - maybe 16. Dirty, but I can tell through the stains & scuffs on her clothes that they were once nice. A t-shirt and skirt. Blonde, not sure if dirty/sandy blonde or average blonde. I can see through the doorway into the room in which the pursuers still bickered. The door way was large, open, like the entryway downstairs. I see another doorway, complete with hinges - size of an average door. There's the pitter patter of feet. Two pairs? Two. The humanoid creatures' faces are marred beyond recognition, but they are both obviously female. The used to be people... Gun fire from the two men doesn't phase the creatures. The creatures are screeching and screaming as they pounce upon the men. Ripping them limb from limb I look away and I am once again the girl.
First person pov.
My hands are clasped over my mouth. The two creatures are laughing and being obnoxious concerning their victory and won dinner. There is a large, deep grumbling noise the I feel all the way down to my core. There is silence. Even the creatures are fearful. A huge hand clasps the frame of the door way I was hidden behind for inside the hollow room. It was green and shared the complexion of the creatures. Only it was as large as my small feminine frame and significantly more muscular. A voice roared "I thought I told you SILENCE!" It was gravely and rough and shook the entire place. I peak around the corner. The two creatures began to plead as suddenly another hand matching the one right above me crashes into them with such force that the two are flung into the darkness in mangled bits. The voice sighed and knocked over the object in the room, then curled up to it as if its cold stone were plush feather. When this monstrous being seemed unconscious - I ran. At the end of this corridor was light. Not sunlight. Artificial? I thought as I ran. I break through. Moonlight. Trees. Shrubs. Outdoors. I sleep.
Awake. I'm floating in the ocean amongst the remnants of a ship wreck. There are small grey and black craft moving through the water searching the wreckage. They're the size of small boats. There is one larger one off in the distance, resembling a battle ship of sorts. I don't know how but I knew they were after me. Or the her which I was. As I contemplated that I realize I'm once again third person and the girl is swimming away for this shore in the distance.
Perspective change
I accept that fleeing is the main objective and I'm swimming after the girl. The craft fire small nets at her. At us. The girl waves her hand and I find myself raising my hand in the same motion, thoughtlessly my arm is thrown in a striking motion as hers. A large wave rises up, the grey and black craft retreat to the battle ship-like vessel as the wave threatens to dismember their transportation. We swim. My brain is spinning. We reach the shore, I am her & she is me again.
First person
I'm under what seems to be the hull of some old ship. It's hollow and broken. Worn. I'm moving rocks on the sand. I realize I can't write help with what I have so I try and write SOS. (This is a day after we swam to shore. We had food.) as Im rearranging my stones, I notice the grey and black swarm gathering on the sea in the distance. I run inland with great haste. It's all a blur from there.
We find a high-tech futuristic style city, which is normal for her but a mystery to me.
The school is where we end up.
A school for people the girls age, only of royalty it seems. There are hundreds of us. She deceives them and manages to become enrolled.
I go unnoticed, a spectre.
She befriends a few young people - notably a young man.
There is a tryst between the two.
The young man is noblest of the noble*
When the clan of black & grey pursuers arrive in town there is panic. These are two different civilizations I realize.
Two opposing factions.
But it is obvious that these people are not fighters, whereas our pursuers can be deadly and vicious.
Negotiations ensue.
They discover the girl is the culprit being searched for.
The young man turns from her in disgust.
She is broken. We run to the edge of town.
Back to where the foliage is dense.
Tears in her eyes, sobbing.
She's lost her first taste of happiness since this misery in my head began.
"Say something she says through her tears." I'm confused now, there is no one near her. "I know you're always there - there's no choice. Stop hiding..." She begins to wipe her eyes. "I can see through that shade." At this point I'm completely lost. I look around and at my own hands. There is a new color about me.
"What?" I question as I fall back against a tree.
"Who are you?" She asked, "How long have you been following me?"
"I don't know... I'm dreaming. This is my dream?" I respond, befuddled.
"What?" She questions.
"This isn't my time - my reality... I'm dreaming. Aren't I?"
"What're you going on about?!?" She asks angrily. We hear voices in the distance. She takes me by the hand and we run. I'm trying to process it all. We arrive to this stone... Thing - about the size of a small house. She freezes and I nearly knock into her. Her eyes are wide.
"What? What is this?" I asked frantically. No response. I approach it. I notice there is a faint blue glow about it. I turn to the girl, she is staring at me. I turn back to this stone structure and raise my hand to it. The glow intensifies. I feel a tug on my shirt. I see the girl is standing beside me, eyes darting between myself and the stone. I see a hand form in the glow, and reach towards my hand. The girl tightly grabs my arm, a fear in her eyes. My hand meets that of the statues glow. It's cold, but hot. It's fingers fall between mine and clasp tightly. I mimic it. There is a flash and a ringing in my ears. I hear my name. Who's saying it? The flash of blue light fades, and I'm awake. Awake awake. Here. In my room. Alone.

What does it mean? Why do I remember it so vivid and clear?

© 2014 Can't Just Pray


Author's Note

Can't Just Pray
Written hastily, very early in the morning in the iPod notes

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on June 20, 2014
Last Updated on June 20, 2014

Author

Can't Just Pray
Can't Just Pray

WV



About
I suppose you'll just have to ask - I'm constantly flirting with change... I've been here before and met some great people & read some great works, but I decided to start fresh. more..

Writing