The Future That Were

The Future That Were

A Story by Invoked.Maniac

You would think that you'd remember being here.

You would think that you'd remember what to do, where to go, what was going to happen, but you don't.

The trees green with moss, the sky a deep, dark, endless blue.
You're running, you're running for your life, but you have no idea what you're running from. You have no idea where you are, what happened to you, or why the hell you decided that it was a good idea to be in this miserable place.

Life has taught you to enjoy the things around you, but you can't.
Life has also taught you that the thing that you enjoy will bring you happiness, but you don't see them anymore.
You're blind here.. you're lost here. The forest is endless, which means that if you ever want to leave this terrible place, you either have to trick yourself into thinking it is a great place full of wonder, that it is a perfect situation for you, that it isn't the SINGLE WORST SITUATION YOU HAVE EVER BEEN IN, or you have to die, defeated.

Running through this forest, you trip. Of all things, you f*****g trip over a god damned root. Of all things that could have possibly happened, you tripped over a stupid root in a stupid forest full of stupid trees. You get up, and stare.

Finally, you look behind you, and you see everything for what it really is.

There was a clearing, there was a perfect place. The sun smiled brightly in this clearing. Everything seemed heavenly and divine in this place of the past. There was a clearing, and on it there was everything you thought that you loved, everything that you thought was right for you. Now, there is a gate, bolted, electrified, and chained.
Looking ahead, you see nothing, because there is nothing to see while you are standing still. Senses take over, and you hear sounds of unknown origin, you smell things that you cannot explain, and this scares you.

Imagining what the source of those things are, scares you. So you sit. You sit, and trick yourself into believing that this place is where you want to be. Honestly, you want to go back, but you know that you can't, and the unknown is full of things that you do not understand.

Someone comes and sits beside you. They look at you, back at the barrier, then ahead. Then, they sit.

With nothing to live for, and nothing to lose, both of you sit, enjoying the comfort of falsity that the both of you have lulled yourselves into.
Slowly, silently you find love in each other.
Slowly, silently you find a new home.
This person understands you, loves you, cares for you.
This person makes you forget that you ever wanted to move from this place, and you don't.

Time passes, and with that passing time the forest seems a little more dense, the sun a little bit brighter.
Your love blooms mutually, everything begins to perfect. The trees begin to die, and the clearing grows.

This place is perfect.
Everything..is perfect..

And just like that, they're gone. In panic, you search this place, this new place, this beautiful, sick place. You see unsettled grass in a scrambled line heading somewhere. For fear of your love, you follow this clue, unsure where it may lead. You ignore the sounds of footsteps behind you at first, then you notice them. You speed up, they speed up.

Faster
Faster
FASTER
Someone is chasing you, and you panic, this could be the person that took away your love.
In tears you run. You run for your life, all the while looking, hoping to see your love. For help, for care, for explanation of their leaving you. You know that you will forgive them, if the unknown thing scared them, then you will understand.
Ahead there is a forest, dark, dense, and terrible. The tracks have ended, and you now understand. Your love has left you, and they will never come back.
HATE
FEAR
SADNESS

Misplacing hope, and thinking that your life is over, you head into this place. The forest is dark, and you want to die, but you don't.

Still, you run.

You would think that you'd remember being here.

You would think that you'd remember what to do, where to go, what was going to happen, but you don't.

The trees green with moss, the sky a deep, dark, endless blue.
You're running, you're running for your life, but you have no idea what you're running from. You have no idea where you are, what happened to you, or why the hell you decided that it was a good idea to be in this miserable place..




© 2014 Invoked.Maniac


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on April 4, 2014
Last Updated on April 17, 2014

Author

Invoked.Maniac
Invoked.Maniac

Norfolk, VA



About
"In the arms of sadness, rose the insufferable bonds of depression. Let us in, and we will show you the pieces that you have missed. Without that which I've lost, I am nothing, and so, I am nothing... more..

Writing
A Walk A Walk

A Story by Invoked.Maniac