What Was Once There

What Was Once There

A Story by J.B.D
"

I could never remember my dreams-so why not write one.

"

Smoothly, breathing wind exhales over the yellow rays of earth; cooling her with each breath. The wheat rocks back and forth, nodding their heads like a fisherman’s’ bobber. Yellow, grainy plains fill the dirt and up, creating their own paths in the world they know. The glow in the suns’ inner brightness and warms each strand of wheat so simply and lazily in a days’ time. The sky with its clouds over hangs the land of wheat, shading it in few areas once in a blue moon. There within the wheat lay a girl, sleeping under the rays of balminess. Her hat tilts forward shading her eyes, and arms behind her head for an easy pillow. Her blue jeans covered in dirt and her tank was simply black and dark as you would find a shadow to be; hair chocolate brown with hints of maroon and gold. Her bare feet carry the terrain as they lay loose above flatten wheat, and not moving for a single breeze of wind. She breathes the warm air with a natural mix of countryside deeply into her lungs with a faint smile carved onto her slumbering face.

 

The wheat moves more calmly, relaxing to the twilight air; the girl’s eyes open with emerald and golden orbs, staring into the stars and the rising moon. She stood up faster than lightning, balancing on the balls of her heels to look around. The sky fading with light, and the air chilling to the skin made the girl shiver. She races through the buttery wheat onto the dirt road, her wavy hair gliding like a comets tail. Rocks, pebbles, and twigs stab at her toes on the long, curving road towards a little red house and a smaller, broken red barn matching with black, pealing trim.

 

She slid behind the red little barn to the makeshift corral of branches and rope; a single grey horse grazes on the simple green grass, swatting at flies with a black and white tail. The glow of the fading sun made the horse glimmer and shine like a mythical beast out of a little kids fairytales. The girl swung herself over the corral, and bound towards the grey spotted horse with black legs, and mixed mane.

 

She lays her hand on its broad black nose, barely reaching its shoulder and spoke, "Hello Daydream, sorry for sleeping on you."

 

Daydream snorts gently and steps closer as night comes near to its very peak. The girl grins and looks towards the harvest moon, reminding her of jack-o-lanterns on door steps in faraway towns. The horse relaxes as the girl smooth out the hair in its smoky eyes, the night taking its time to overcome daylight with stars. The sky seem to move faster and faster, constellations of the bear wandering through the colors of nightfall and Greek Gods playing their music with the lion enjoying his last supper of the day with others just beginning to join. No clouds, neither grey nor white puff ball fill the sky above the girl and her horse in the corral, not near the house or the broken barn to beyond eye sight.

 

"Let’s go for a ride," whispers the girl gently. Daydream only nods and neighs, picking up its feet as if answering her statement with overwhelming joy.

 

She saddles her up, throw some bright red boots on, and heaves over Daydreams back titling her hat just right on her head. She gave a small whistle, gripping some black mane into her hand as the horse gallops hard and fast to leap over the makeshift corral and back onto the dirt road. They blaze past the wheat field, all golden colors replaced by the moons’ afterglow making oranges and reds pop and form with black shades pocking out of the seams of each single strand of wheat.

 

A low haze over lays the trail, making it watery by looks, but touch less with fingers. The girl stares at the sight ahead; a woods cover in a frail red fog and its entrance waiting to engulf them slowly. The horse walks in slowly, making no clamors or dins but the pounds of its hooves meeting the earth.

 

Sounds of snaps and creaks with hints weeping echoes through the branches and trunks; shadows forming and exploding through the red fog of the darken woods. Giant rocks, and twisted trees loom over the trail and fall victim in the woods. Whispers and undertones lay still the air, the girl taking in every word with a leer. Sharp, painful laughter shatters the thick trees, shaking each leaf and branch furiously without a care in the world; its only response was the stillness of darkness creeping up behind the girl ever so slowly. Eyes stare from all around, hunger within them to be set free and harm all who they can catch; boney fingers crack under mouths of fangs, blank faces with no expressions, and some without a face step closer to the edge of the trail. Blackness overhangs the canopy, dripping of thick ooze and slime fall from hungry mouths with growls lingering in their throats.

 

Daydream walks with her head up high, ignoring everything from the past thoughts and beyond; the girl only smirks at the ethereal shadows, knowing they could not harm her without letting them. They walk farther and farther into the depths, noises getting louder and louder and more familiar with each scream. A wall of shadow follows them, creeping on them, and hungry for anything that moves fast.

 

A brightness shown through steadily, the sounds of darkness diminishing and dying behind each step Daydream took. Anger could be felt from all hidden beneath shadows, and evaporate back into the woods ever so slowly; their eyes never leaving the girl and Daydream. Light of the outside shimmers through more till they stood at the edge of the woods, taking in deep breaths of fresh air.

 

"Almost there Daydream, just a little more to go," the girl spoke, grinning with pearls and her smile wider then normally could. Daydream bolts through the dirt, pushing up smoke and making a haze of brown and black into the murky sky.

 

And there they were at a grassy plain high in the sky; the moon and stars were so close, you could literally jump and grab single glow for yourself. The girl slid off the horse, and they walked towards the edge of the tall grassy land. The sky swirls of different colors raging from blues to purples and reds to yellows, as if day and night are becoming one in front of their very eyes. A wind blows, moving slowly and lazily over the land pushing grass aside.

 

Looking down over the edge lays a sea, a sea of only blue and never moving in any beat or rhythm. The sea holds nothing but water, nothing underneath or above; it is only bottomless, getting deeper with only dark blues. No waves exceeding, just swirls and few splashes when colliding with another. It’s only a sea of deep blue, and nothing more.

 

The girl loves the sea; it holds an aware look to it, something she knows but forgotten from her deep sleep in the golden wheat. She sighs as the sweet smell rushes into her face, the smell of mist and clear water fill her lungs with each breathe. She spins around and finds a soft spot to lie to stare at the coming clouds. Big, fluffy white puff balls begin to fill the sky, hiding the stars and the fiery reds. They all had unique shapes without names, just flowing over the sea to soon be over the red house and broken barn. Daydream grazes once more in the grass, enjoying the savoring taste of freshness with twitches here and there.

 

The girl begins to fade, her emerald and gold eyes growing wide, her chocolate brown hair pull up into a snarl of a miniature tornado, skin becoming see-through within each second. She tries to call to Daydream, but her voice was nothing in the air; the edges of her eyes becoming black and the world twists and crushes into different colors of black, grey, and blinding white. She falls into darkness, a blackness with her legs twist into knots and arms stretch at lengths unknown; her screams unheard for her voice was taken by blackness and hearing her own voice laughing with sharpness made her fall faster and faster till she knew the ground was only a few feet below…

 

I woke up with a jolt, shot straight up with my eyes confuse and my head spinning. I stare into nothing, the lights off in my room and my legs tangle in my big, black blanket. I grab my phone, open it and squinted my eyes at the sudden light. It reads 3:15 A.M, a picture of me and Zach in the background back when I had pink hair. I groan, flipping myself back on my stomach, grab my squishy blue pillow, and drift back into a slumber. The room fades out of thought, out of mind, and no words spoken in the upcoming dream I would never remember.

 

I never really did remember my dream I just saw. No wheat field, no off colored skies, no grey horse with the two color mane; just blackness and more blackness drifting in the air around me.

© 2013 J.B.D


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013

Author

J.B.D
J.B.D

Bad Axe, MI



About
Writing and poetry is my passion, and someday soon I would love to have my work published for booking and such; I love music, art, nature, punkiness, gothicness, and unordinary things. I also adore St.. more..

Writing
Hummingbird Hummingbird

A Poem by J.B.D


Face Face

A Poem by J.B.D