Gunnery Sgt Ronald Lee Ermey

Gunnery Sgt Ronald Lee Ermey

A Story by Irishrite
"

Just a short story about one of my idols.

"
It was November 10th, 1986. I was stationed at a little ammunitions dump called Camp Henoko on the island of Okinawa Japan.
To most people, November 10th, is just another day. To a Marine its thee most significant day in the history of the Marines. For on that day in 1775, the Marine Corps was born.
Fast forward back to 1986. I was a cook in the Marines, and on this day I would cook a steak and Lobster dinner for a very important person. None other than GySgt
R. Lee Ermey. A real life Hero of mine. A real Drill Instructor back in the late 1960s, and also an actor who played Senior Drill Instructor GySgt Hartman in Stanley Kubricks portrayal of life in Marine Corps boot camp and Vietnam "Full Metal Jacket".
Upon meeting him, setting his plate of food down in front of him, I was extremely intimidated. You see? R. Lee Ermey was a Marines Marine. By the book in every way. His brass was shined to a high gloss, uniform perfectly starched, boots spit shined to perfect. Everyone aspired to be a Marine like him.
Come to find out he was very calm in demeanor. A genuinely nice guy and very personable. He even told me to sit and talk for a minute. He asked me how my tour overseas was going? What the Corps meant to me?
I will never forget that day as long as I live and breathe on this earth.
So sad to hear of his passing today. GySgt Ermey, may you Rest In Peace and Semper Fidelis. God speed sir.

© 2018 Irishrite


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a really nice story about one of your idols. I can see that he meant a lot to you. Sorry for your loss.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
1 Review
Added on April 16, 2018
Last Updated on April 16, 2018

Author

Irishrite
Irishrite

Pell City, AL



About
Just a guy with a lot of messed up thoughts in his head trying to make sense of it all. more..

Writing