Big City Snow

Big City Snow

A Story by Isla Rae

     She had been waiting a long time for this! It fell softly at first, gently drifting to the ground in sparkling, white flakes, but it was finally here! The falling snow rested perfectly along the top bar of the swings.
     Harper slowly stood up, pushing the chair back from behind her. It was late afternoon, and Harper was in her favorite place: the library. She loved the library. Everything in it was so modern and exciting! The cream colored walls and matching tables and chairs were perfectly painted. All the books were practically brand new, each possessing that wonderful smell only new books can have. The thing Harper loved most, was the large, window-wall that had recently been added. It was simply an entire wall, made completely out of window panes. A few tables and chairs were set up neatly along the wall. The sun cast it's delicate light over the seating area, providing Harper with a beautiful place to sit and work.
     The window-wall looked out onto the public park just outside of the library. The playing children provided an excellent escape from homework.  A large and beautiful maple tree stood to the left of the window, casting unique shadows on the floor of the library.
     The clock ticked methodically. Harper could hear her phone vibrating inside of her bag, but she ignored it. She slowly walked to the window, pressing her finger tips gently to the pane. It was the first snow of the year! Cars busily drove around the perimeter of the park, heading home from the colossal city that surrounded it. The skyscrapers seemed to pierce the gray-blue sky. Flat business buildings gently caught the falling snow.
     Harper ran her fingers through her choppy, mouse-brown hair and shivered. She wasn't prepared for the snow. Although it was cold before she got to the library, she hadn't expected the wind and snow to blow in so quickly! Sighing, Harper buttoned up the heavy, brown sweater she was wearing, pulled over it's hood, and tugged at her matching red scarf. Casting a dismal glance at her unfinished homework, Harper quickly packed everything back into her backpack. If she didn't leave soon, the snow would make it nearly impossible to bike home.
     Harper slipped her hand into the pocket of her bag and pulled her phone out to check it. Being a rather diligent and careful person, Harper always liked to double check things before she left anywhere. She had two texts from her friend, Griffin.
     They read, "Saw the snow! :) Outside waiting for you. Car warming up."
     "Ready to go, when you are."
     Harper smiled. When she looked up, she saw a rather tall looking guy with thick, dark hair, swinging on the swings distractedly. Her eyes met his and he grinned and gave her a mock solute. It was Griffin.
     Harper let out a quick laugh.
     "Shhhhhhhh," the library curator scolded.
     Harper just shook her head, a half-smile still lingering on her face, and ran for the door.

© 2015 Isla Rae


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on January 9, 2015
Last Updated on January 10, 2015