Storm’s Fury

Storm’s Fury

A Story by Itsdandammit
"

A challenge to describe a word without using it.

"
We heeled hard to starboard, the spray shooting high past the bowsprit. We dipped and tilted, picking up speed, the sails caught the wind and popped hard, pregnant now with the breath of the storm that gathered itself, roiling and churning with malevolent purpose, bearing down as the dark hulk of a grizzly over the frail form of a small child. Daylight dissolved into shadow and a wave of icy cold pushed across the deck, eagerly clutching the men who's faces turned suddenly bleak with the knowledge that we were caught. We felt its grip tighten on the aging vessel as she creaked and moaned in fear. As if she knew her fate, all of our fates…

© 2023 Itsdandammit


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tom
This is extremely tight and poised. Very well executed given the brevity. Not sure if this is practice or purpose but if this could be sustained over a mark of time you have a novel/a (subject notwithstanding). To clarify I mean your prose style is novel-worthy, not that the story could be expanded though, of course, the mind wonders to where it might.

Posted 7 Months Ago


Itsdandammit

7 Months Ago

Thank you Tom, the piece was practice and sort of fell onto the screen. It was fun..sometimes I get .. read more
Re reading this again. I imagine a big wooden ship, I could hear the cracking of the wood and the yells of fear as it battles the storm. A well written piece, makes one feel as if you are there. Great work.

Posted 8 Months Ago


Itsdandammit

7 Months Ago

Hi praise, from one of my favorite writers. Thanks!
Storms whether it takes land or water is furious Storms experiment our courage in any way to make us conscious that one is living. Good work.

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Itsdandammit

7 Months Ago

Having experienced some ferocious storms I know your words to be true. Thanks.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 10, 2023
Last Updated on September 10, 2023