When the heart breaks

When the heart breaks

A Poem by J.A

Pay close attention when the heart breaks.

It is subtle, without a sound.

Without warning from the skies

It’s a slight tear or crack, you’ve never noticed.

Just a picture perfect smile, with a lens out of focus.

Did you see it coming? Nope, not a clue.

Now I’ll take your questions.

Cause the world pays attention when the heart splits in two.

Wonder why, when, or how did it begin.

Whose fault was it now?

Does it matter?

Nothing ever does when you drown.

When you’re gasping for some air, and the last thing in your mind

is if everyone is staring.

Doesn’t really matter, since we’re scattered in flames.

Or who broke whose heart first? It’s all shattered the same.

If you want to know the truth,

I’m the scum of the earth.

Holding gold within my hands, but not knowing its worth.

Cause the fact is, I’ve been broken. But they just couldn’t tell.

How could she truly love a man who’s just a shell of himself?

Pay close attention when the heart speaks.

It’s asking you, for once, to pick up the pieces.

Do it on your own, take your time, you’re gonna need it.

Doesn’t really matter if the world hates you for leaving.

Cause she couldn’t keep a heart that wasn’t beating.

All you have right now, is the silence, and these words.

You’re the one who's breaking her, so it shouldn’t hurt. Right?

I guess they'll never know,

At least to the world, this poem is

entertaining.

Cause everyone loves misery,

And misery loves company.

(Especially when happiness is fading)

They're paying close attention to your words now... it’s amazing.

Cause poetry sounds better

when the heart is breaking.

© 2016 J.A


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This made me want to weep! I'm a bit misty eyed right now. I hope that your feelings have strengthened and trudged through this! What a murky swamp hopelessness and sadness can be to cross, but crossable it is! This is well written and the words carefully take you on the tour of your emotions and your heart and even my own before gently telling me that the poem is over now, but not without leaving me with a souvenir of bittersweet sorrow. well written, friend! You made me almost cry!

Posted 8 Years Ago


My heart squeezed you have some very, very powerful lines in this poem. Is this how you truly feel when it comes to what people enjoy reading? I mean this poem was amazing don't get me wrong something funny is what I'm definitely gonna have to look for after this. Tears want to prickle and I keep fighting them.
The imagery at the begining of the poem is excellent it really gets your reader thinking of their heart breaks pulling them into the subject of this poem. Bringing to light their own pain as they read your words.
The negative self talk, how many do that? I know I only fought myself with that and continue to battle it every day as I struggle to fight the remnants of my past relationship. If you didn't have the readers full attention yet, now you certainly do.
"Holding gold within my hands, but not knowing its worth" AMAZING imagery perfect wording for what EVERYONE does when they mess up the relationship. Couldn't be worded any better!
"How could she truly love a man who’s just a shell of himself?" When I read this line I literally spoke out loud my resonating shock, this is a comparison I love to use obviously not in the man sense but you know what I mean. In fact I believe I have it mentioned in different ways in a couple of my poems. It is the best way to describe an emptiness inside, a way to paint a picture to make the readers feel and see the pain, the hollowness.
"Doesn’t really matter if the world hates you for leaving.
Cause she couldn’t keep a heart that wasn’t beating."
This is beautiful and painful, it could mean a couple of different things and I would love to understand it better. From what I am gathering from this you are saying; because you are broken you hurt her, that no matter how wonderful she was, she was incapable of keeping your heart because of how damaged you are? is that right?
I like how you keep your readers engaged through out the entire poem with the imagery, the wow factors, and then almost as if you are talking straight to us/about us (the readers)
This is absolutely amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


J.A

8 Years Ago

Oh wow! Thank you so much for this. Yeah this was one of the hardest poems I ever had to write. You .. read more
Rachael Lea

8 Years Ago

I know too well how much it affects the person who is breaking the heart. I love this poem and it is.. read more
Excellent work J.A. The words jump off the page forcing their way into the reader's heart providing a recollection of moments of heartbreak. The pain is instant though it's been growing for sometime, and we're often blinded by the imminent pain. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 25, 2016
Last Updated on January 25, 2016
Tags: poetry, romance, heartbreak, love, broken

Author

J.A
J.A

Queens, NY



About
This will be my Sanctuary. more..

Writing
Repose Repose

A Poem by J.A


Faces Can Lie Faces Can Lie

A Poem by J.A



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Don't care Don't care

A Poem by Archos