TeleMarketeers ~Holly's Pickle

TeleMarketeers ~Holly's Pickle

A Story by JD Major
"

a Short-short Story ...

"
a Short-short Story ~570 words ... 


"Hi, it's Carson at Dandy Products, do you have MagicLight in your home, sir?"
"Will it work in a doghouse?"
"Can your dog clap, sir?"
" ... Huh?"
"You know, Clap On, Clap Off."
"Dogs can't clap, you idiot!"
"Ciao, sir."

Laughing, Louise tapped me on the shoulder. Her call-center station is between hot Holly's and mine. I took off my headset.
"As much as I'm a fan of your smartass banter, Carson," she said, "you know our calls are recorded, and you know Dwight McFright has no sense of humor." 
( Dwight is the call center's Supervisor; I'm currently hatching a plan to murder him ...but that's another Story.*)

"I can't help myself, Louise." I said, "Sometimes our Colds just beg for a put-down." 
(Colds are our cold-call recipients, and yeah, the stuff some of them come out with is priceless.)
"Ain't it the truth," she said, "but sometimes you're just too clever for your own good."
"Which reminds me, pal," I added. "Are you still in for Operation H?"
"I am if you still wanna part with that Hamilton you offered me."
"I do, and you're upGo for it, pal."
(An Alexander Hamilton, AKA a Sawbuck, a $10 bill.)

On a wink, Louise removed her headset and tapped Holly's headset.
"What's up, Louise?" Holly asked, tabling her set and pausing her dialer.
(a Dialer automatically dials Colds, one after the other.)
"Yesterday, I couldn't help overhearing you accepting Dwight's offer of dinner Friday, sweetie. You're not actually gonna go through with it, are you?"
"Any reason why I shouldn't, Louise? Dwight's considering me for the Assistant Supervisor opening."
"I can think of two reasons right off. One, you've only been here a week and a half, and two, don't you think it might be good idea to ask somebody why the current Assistant Supervisor is leaving?"
" ...Okay, why's he ...she ...leaving?" She looked around. "Where is he ...she, by the way?"
"He-She Who?"
" ... Pardon me?"
"I've been here eighteen years, Holly, and I've yet to see an Assistant Supervisor."
" ...Oops." Holly's pretty brow furrowed. "Guess Dwight's hitting on me, huh?"
"Louise did a slow nod. "How do you feel about that, sweetie?"
"Like I wish I hadn't said yes ...like I want to get out of it ...but, he's the boss. How can I?"

"I couldn't help overhearing you, Holly," I said, nudging Louise. "It seems you're in bit of a pickle." 
Holly nodded. "Don't know how I could have been so naive."
"Actually, Carson," Louise said, "maybe you can help Holly."
" ...Oh?" I said.
"You study law, nights at City U, don't'ya? Know anything about Workplace Harassment Law? Maybe you can share some advice with Holly."
"Yes, a little, and I'd be glad to."

Louise turned to Holly. "If I were you I'd take young Carson here to lunch and grill him for all he's worth."
" ...Oh, I probably shouldn't impose, Louise, I'm sure Carson has better things to do." 
"No imposition at all, Holly," I said. "I'd enjoy cutting my teeth on a real-life pickle."
"There's no time like the present," Louise chimed in, "and you can't beat Burger Heaven's Value-Wednesdays, across the street."

"You up for it, Carson?" Holly asked me.
hung my headset and killed my dialer. "Let's do it, Holly."
As I slipped past Louise, I slipped her the Hamilton.
..................................................
*TeleMarketeers ~Carson's Revenge

© 2022 JD Major


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on July 23, 2022
Last Updated on July 24, 2022
Tags: Attraction

Author

JD Major
JD Major

Canada



About
I like writing short pieces--humorous & serious--on just about anything. more..

Writing