My Thoughts on Education Affecting Literature Appreciation

My Thoughts on Education Affecting Literature Appreciation

A Poem by Justin Guidroz
"

People often ask how my minds works. Here's some insight: be cautious, CONTAINS RADICAL INDIVIDUALISM!!!

"

 

As of late, it seems as if I have taken a break
From this happy medium where I can forget
All of the formulas and formalities of schooling.
This is, however, quite the contrary,
For, as of late, I have felt quite drained
Of any creativity or feeling of art.
So,
Although I am still in the Iron Maiden
And the sharp spikes of knowledge are slowly piercing me
Draining all creativity and energy out of me,
I have somehow found a small pocket of inspiration
That no spike has yet penetrated and let leak out of my body.
So, before it is lost, I should say
That it seems that school has the deviant intent
Of crushing any sense of individualism or creativity out of one’s soul.
These teachers, these purgers of innocence,
Seem to boil everything down to equations,
Lifeless letters and signs of reduction.
Even literature, a form of free expression
Is crammed into needless form and extensive analyzed nonsense.
So not only are we punished, but so are the writers, the artists
Of these masterpieces that we meticulously butcher and dissect
Like beautiful animals, once free and happy,
Now dead on cold desk as pens slice the pages open,
Underlining one sentence that someone found important, like an organ,
To be used and manipulated upon be the sick scientists of analysis.
These writers, whose works, for years, were cherished and pure,
Will now be pushed aside by generations
Who now see reading more as work than pleasure.
It is truly sad that education kills uniqueness,
Forcing all to a mold of conformity that society has deemed right,
And it is also sad that all of us
Dutifully (and also law-inducingly) have to be purged
And join the monotony of society.

© 2009 Justin Guidroz


Author's Note

Justin Guidroz
So, what's on your mind? How do you see education's effect on students? Be free, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The way they teach really does kill creativity! I hate all of their suggestions for my writing! They complain I'm too fancy and have to use simple words. They sacrifice all style for clarity and dumbing down writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Some education is good, like math, science and english, my problem lies within history... you think back to grade school they tell us bout Christopher Columbus discovering America then later on you find out that wasn't really true, if they didn't want to tell us at a young age then why say anything, so a lie actually so why believe anything else they say. I really think the history books are made many times to make the US look good. Now i said English was good but I have to say though when it came to reading books or poetry they tried more to brainwash you to their theories on what was meant instead of allowing students to think for themselves. I could go on but won't.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Odly enough I've been listening and reading a lot on the internet and in books about school and creativity, a lot of very smart people have stood up to say that school and the world in general have been trying to make creative people and kids as a whole fit the mold they deem worthy of this country. It is quite sad to see so many great people criticized because of what they love to do. You can be a doctor or a lawyer but you can't be a writer or an artist "those just aren't respectable jobs" it's ignorance at it's greatest. They don't see what they are doing to kids and their creativity. Maybe they won't grow up to be the next Van Gogh or Stephen King, but at least they are having fun just creating what they want. You are right in what you say and hopefully the rest of the people in this country and others will see it that way soon.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Sheep herded not for their wool, but for their individualism. Processed into conformity and used to support the herders. But that is a bit animalistic I suppose. What do I know, I'm a pig. Great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 22, 2009

Author

Justin Guidroz
Justin Guidroz

St. Bernard, LA



About
Hi, my name is Justin Guidroz. I've sort of disappeared lately, haven't submitted much to the site. Life is just in an up most turmoil right now, and I'm fixing that which needs to be fixed. I have be.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In Gold In Gold

A Poem by Alice Oiseau