Hanging Out With Chris

Hanging Out With Chris

A Story by Justin Guidroz
"

Friendship going to unnatural lengths.

"

 

Hanging Out with Chris
Justin Guidroz
            The passenger door was pried open and Steven slid onto the seat. He held his long black coat stationary on his bottom, so as to not drag the coat behind him. He heard the trunk open, followed by a thud that brought the back of the car down an inch. The trunk slammed shut and Chris opened the door, sat down on the squeaky vinyl seat, and closed the door behind him. He reached into his coat and pulled out a black cloth handkerchief and proceeded to clean the gleaming blood off of his hands.
            “Close your door, Steve.”
            Steven obliged, and the door shut with a soft click. Having finished wiping his hands clean, Chris put the key into the ignition and started up the car. They backed out of the driveway and turned onto Carol Street, and drove towards the interstate. Silence filled the car, the keys hitting and playing off of each other was the only music to be heard, like a melancholic dirge of bells.
            “Hey, let’s lighten up the mood a little, shall we?” Chris said with a grim grin. He pressed the power button on the radio and Kenny G’s clarinet hummed out of the speakers. Chris began to whistle with the tune merrily and looked over at Steven, whose face was a cold stone wall.
            “You ok, buddy?” Chris inquired, but Steven’s expression remained impassive. Chris turned his gaze back to the road, his bright headlights illuminating small stretches of road, the only thing visible in the dark twilight night. The clock read 3:04 A.M., its green numbers slightly illuminating the cabin. Chris sighed. “Steven, don’t be so down about this, he knew this was going to happen,” he explained as if to reassure him, “Besides, strugglers are more fun. Be happy you got a fun one! I remember my first one, totally boring, just accepted his faith. What is the fun of living if you accept death? I like to live unexpected, unassuming, and spontaneous,” he said cheerfully.
            “What is your problem, man?” Steven croaked, shuttering slightly. “How can you do this and be so, happy? We are murdering somebody, Chris!”
            Silence fell over the car once again, and Chris said low, “If I knew you were going to be such a pansy, I would have left you home.”
            “Jesus Christ, Chris! How can you be so nonchalant?! Who the hell are you?! You’ve changed, Chris, you’ve changed. I don’t even know you anymore!”
            “I’m sorry I grew up! I’m sorry I’m not the same kid I was in grade school! I’m sorry I’m not who you want me to be! You know, I stuck my neck out for you, and you completely ignore what I’ve done! Do you know how hard it is to make those people accept someone else? You said you wanted to hang out more, and I’m trying man, I’m trying!”
            “I said hang out, like, go to the movies, not join a satanic cult! If I knew it would be this, I wouldn’t have come at all!” Steven began to cry.
            The car stopped abruptly, skidding down the deserted road. They came to a stop, and Chris looked at Steven, “Get out.” Steven looked at Chris bewilderedly, and smiled testily, “You’re not kicking me out here.”
            “I said get out!” Chris screamed, striking Steven in the face. He yelped, clutching his brusing cheek. “GET OUT NOW!” Chris was fuming, staring intensly at Steven. Steven continued crying, trying to speak.
            “Y-y-ou are my o-on-only f-f-friend-d. D-Don-Don’t l-le-leave m-m-me, p-p-pleas-se…” Steven babbled, his tears making his mouth salty.
            Chris leaned back on his chair and sighed, running his hands through his hair. “Are you coming with me?” Steven nodded. “No complaints?” Steven nodded. “No more skittish redraws? Steven nodded feverishly. Chris thought for a minute, Steven’s tears running down the seat. “Ok, ok Steven, you can stay. I’m sorry, man. I just, I get so much from everyone else. I just want someone to accept me.” Chris sighed. Steven put his hand on his shoulder and sniffed. Chris smiled, “I love you too, pal.” Chris started up the car, and they kept on driving.

© 2009 Justin Guidroz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on September 14, 2009

Author

Justin Guidroz
Justin Guidroz

St. Bernard, LA



About
Hi, my name is Justin Guidroz. I've sort of disappeared lately, haven't submitted much to the site. Life is just in an up most turmoil right now, and I'm fixing that which needs to be fixed. I have be.. more..

Writing