Pharaoh

Pharaoh

A Poem by John Sullivan

Rumi's reflections
a quiet Quran

count the grapes on the vine
know you're just a man

hope for vague apotheosis
faith's a fine line

to wait they say is holy
I wonder how the saved pass the time

they say the way is narrow
living on the government's dime

I can't see the plan
the reason or the rhyme

what of Ginsburg's mental Moloch?
the heavy judger of men?

a blind idiot God
the mirror's my closest friend

© 2024 John Sullivan


Author's Note

John Sullivan
Inspired by recent psychoses and obsessive readings of my holy books...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

That last couplet when you reflect on our world today, is powerful. All this conflict. The vast difference between the haves and the have nots. The meek shall inherit the earth? Just when I ask. When I look in the mirror I remind myself of the power of kindness. There needs to be far more. A thought provoking write John. I have no time for organized religion.

Chris

Posted 1 Month Ago


metaphysics, meal time for questing men. interesting poem John, simplicity of structure and diction that seeks to open the mind to far greater questions.

for myself it was the Title. Pharoah posed/poses issues of choice that l gladly let wash over my thoughts this morning.

ken

Posted 1 Month Ago


I'm not much into religion.... however little I know..it seem like you are questioning the Holy Week, God, who will inherit the earth? the waiting (to get into Heaven?) if you live on a government's dime will you reach Heaven? you seem to doubt the plan set forth..who is the real judge of man?
Is God the judge?
Warmly, B
PS Sorry John, I am really dumb when it comes to saviors, etc....not a believer..


Posted 1 Month Ago


Pharoahs are thought of as great thinkers...maybe they are.
"to wait is holy..." but I wonder what we are really waiting for...Emily Dickinson did not belief, or at least claimed she did not...Yes, the way is very narrow on the government's dime.
The meek will inherit the earth, but when? How?
I don't see anyone writing wills that include us.
I like your philosophical nature, John...and how you pen it.
j.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Powerful introspection. Great work.

Posted 1 Month Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
5 Reviews
Added on March 26, 2024
Last Updated on March 26, 2024