A DOG AND CAT STORY

A DOG AND CAT STORY

A Story by Joseph B Clipper
"

a children's tale

"
  Once upon a time...(I've always wanted to say that) once upon a time there was this guy named Lou.  Lou was a mailman and new to the job.  He had never done route 42 before.  As he walked down the street he checked his list for warnings.  "WARNING: FRIENDLY DOG AHEAD!" A rather curious entry. Lou opened the gate and there was spike, a pit bull.
    Spike ha d built up quite  a thirst chasing some squirrels.  He was lapping water up big time from his bucket when the gate opened.  Water was dripping from his jowls as he smiled.  Lou turned white as a ghost.  He turned and ran down the street, throwing clumps of mail at spike close behind him.
    Lou paid too much attention to Spike and trips over a crack in the pavement.  Spike jumps on top of Lou and gives him a kiss.  lots of kisses.  Lou isn't fond of dog kisses, but he liked these.  He was relieved he wasn't lunch.  After the bath, Spike lays on his back kicking and yelping.  Lou gives him a rub on his belly.  Lou is a great belly rubber from way back.  Spike runs home.
    Tether looked upon spike with disapproving eyes.
Puppies will be puppies, but Spike should really stop chasing the newer postal workers.  They just don't understand.  Tether is a long haired chihuahua his sleek black coat looks nothing less than regal to his son Spike.  How they got to be father and son i will tell you, but right now they are late.
    Sandra, Spike's mother, is a Maine coon cat she also has long black fur.  Most of which are standing on end waiting for the boys.  She is at the meeting hall of all the city's animals.  A special council meeting is being convened.  The mayor a constantly sleepy bulldog and his deputy a doe call the meeting to order.  Spike and tether stand at Sandra's side.  The mayor looks at Tether and Sandra and wonders which one is the dog.
    The reason everyone has gathered is because Sandra and tether want to get married.  They wish to officially adopt Spike and be a true family under animal law.  These are early times and such a family structure is unheard of.  The animal kingdom has accepted dogs and cats living together but only the governor can sanction such a marriage.  The governor of Delaware is a pigeon. He won the election because of his ability to poop on the humans.
    Tether spoke up.  When our pets got married they insisted that we animals get along.  We got along.  In fact we bonded like no dog or cat had before.  After a time we decided to get married, but we knew the council would not sanction it.  So two months ago we stood on the bridge over White Clay Creek.  Under the full moon, with the night sparkling in my loves eyes, we swore our love and devotion to each other.  A love that will never die.
    A car pulled up and a shadowy figure stepped out.  It carried a bag.  The bag was moving and i could hear something.  The bag was tossed into the creek.  I tried to tell Sandra that it sounded like there was someone inside, but she never hesitated and jumped in after it.
She was struggling with it when they got caught in the rapids.  I dove in and together we pulled the bag to shore.  Inside was Spike.  No worse for wear and just as happy go lucky as he lives everyday.  This is the foundation of our family.  We ask the council to recognize that love and harmony should never be restricted.
    The doe lifted her hoof to wipe a tear from her eye.
Everyone at the meeting hall was moved.  Even the mayor had to clear his throat and shake his jowls.  He pretended not to be touched by their story.  The Governor looked to the council, then began to speak.
let it be known throughout the land that we the animals of Delaware will be the first to declare that love and harmony should never be restricted.  Tether take your family and go.  Go and continue to light the way for us all.

© 2014 Joseph B Clipper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on March 9, 2014
Last Updated on March 9, 2014
Tags: animals, love, faith, dedication, interracial, metaphor

Author

Joseph B Clipper
Joseph B Clipper

newark, DE



About
i write various poems and stories. i call them my 1000 stories to tell. i'm sure i've written something just for you. more..

Writing
TRUMP TRUMP

A Story by Joseph B Clipper