This is An Exercise in Articulation

This is An Exercise in Articulation

A Story by JOe
"

I never felt articulate, or very much descriptive. This is my first attempt at being so.

"
I remember every time you faced me and said a word I could smell your lip-gloss. Cherry, I think it was. Or maybe strawberry. I was never really very good with distinguishing smells. But it was intoxicating, and the thought that you were so close to me that just the short distance of your breath could bring the smell to my nose was nothing short of the work of a miracle.
There was very little wind, surprisingly light for being just off the beach. But every time it blew it pushed your hair over your face, strands parted so that you could see just fine, and I could still see your eyes. Eyes whose color I could not remember, for I was too lost in them to absorb anymore details.
But whenever your bangs over-took your face you’d push them back to the side. There was no grace to it, it wasn’t so I could see you, or so that you could see me, but it was just a habit, nothing more. But I was so glad for that habit, I never wanted to lose sight of any bit of you.
I listened so intently to every word you said, but only so much of it actually registered with me. I never stopped listening, I never ignored a word, but there’s only so much I can truly pay attention to when I’m studying your face. I couldn’t keep my eyes still, they shifted with such curiosity over your face. I picked up everything: your eyes, your eye lashes, your skin tone, your freckles, how the thickness of your bangs was twice the size of anyone else I’ve seen. But in all the words that went through my ears, while three quarters of them came right out the other side, I still managed to pick up on the fact that the speed of your voice rivaled that of a rapper’s. But I was absolutely lost in it. It was sweet godly music to my ears. Like the trumpets of heaven you hear when you die, I could sing to it, I could dance to it, I could fall asleep to it. No person had ever stricken me so hard, no day had ever been so uneventful, yet so perfect in my life. No drain on my wallet had ever been so worth it before, and yet I’ll never even get a piece of what I long for. The beauty and perfection that I drool over every day.
Your voice was the only voice I could hear when you were not around, like singing a song you’ve known since you were a child, it never got old, it never was forgotten, and you could hear it any time you wanted, like it was playing through speakers right around your head.

© 2010 JOe


Author's Note

JOe
This was not about grammar or structure. Purely about my ability to accurately describe the situation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok, I really like how your writing is so emotionally driven. You have described the moment really well, especially with hearing everything and nothing because of being immersed in the moment.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a nicely written piece! Good job. I like how you described her voice and how the words she said only 1/4 of them registered in your brain.
Nice job with the descriptions! Keep doing a good job!


Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2010
Last Updated on June 22, 2010

Author

JOe
JOe

Parlin, NJ



About
I'm Joe. I constantly show up, say I'm going to be active, post one thing, and disappear for a few years. Get used to it. I write a lot of poetry, prose, and lyrics. You can consider about 97% of i.. more..

Writing
(Untitled) (Untitled)

A Poem by JOe