Kenshiro Hidori by Cylis Derrens Book Review

Kenshiro Hidori by Cylis Derrens Book Review

A Story by Jaded Silence Press
"

Book review for KENSHIRO HIDORI by Cylis Derrens.

"

 

Kenshiro Hidori by Cylis Derrens Book Review

 

About three weeks ago, I had the tremendous pleasure of reading and editing my first project for Jaded Silence Press. The amazing adventures of Kenshiro Hidori, a Japanese man given an amazing opportunity after the deaths of his parents and grandfather.

Altogether, edits took about a week and a half. Give or take. Mostly I had to do some indenting and changing of paragraph lengths. I suppose I work differently than many of the other editors for JSP. I try to skim it first to find any overwhelming mistakes that really take away from the story. I couldn't find any with this story and ended up reading it.

Cylis does an amazing job of telling you the many lives that Kenshiro lives. From his times in Feudal Japan to his adventures in Ancient Greece. Each chapter spins a tale of each of Kenshiro's lives. Each chapter almost be classified as a short story. He gives details without overwhelming the reader with facts and statistics, making it a pleasure to read.

With the first chapter you learn how his parents and grandfather pass away. How he gets involved with time jumping.

Within each chapter you encounter many of histories BIG names. From Cleopatra and Marc Anthony to Helen of Troy and Achilles. Cylis makes history come to life with a combination of facts and myth. He intertwines the fiction with truth and does it in such a way that you wonder which is which.

Each chapter has it's own separate plot and storyline that help move the overall story and plot a long. The beginning of each chapter gets you acquainted with the new life and era that Kenshiro jumps into and each ending shows you how he moves from era to era.

 

Kenshiro Hidori is an engaging Historical Fiction that takes you on an amazing adventure. The adventures start almost immediately when you learn of the deaths of his parents, Samata and Mariko Hidori, after which he ends up in the care of his grandfather, Yoshi Hidori. His grandfather is the owner of a Dojo and regals Kenshiro with tales of the past. The first chapter takes you through the roller coaster ride he went through, dealing with the loss of his parents and eventually his grandfather.

        The second chapter deals with his life in Feudal Japan and how he becomes a legend.

        Each chapter is like that. He starts out small and ends up ruling an vast empire.

        The story even has a touch of romance and nostalgia as he falls in love in each era, in each lifetime. In each lifetime he gets married and has children, with each child you get to see his sensitive side. How gentle he can be and just what he'll do to protect his loved ones. You get to see that even though, he's a warrior that his family is the most important thing in his life. Or lifetimes.

 

        For me, this being my first project for JSP, was a real treat. There were not, to me anyway, not a lot of edits that had to be done. It was fun to read and didn't leave me the impression that I'd actually had a history lesson.

        It left me with a sense that I'd actually learned something and in a fun way. I think that if many teachers could employ Cylis' way of teaching, there would a much bigger interest in learning. Because, while learning, you wouldn't feel like you were until it was over and by then it would be too late to do anything about it.

 

        Take look at KENSHIRO HIDORI and lose yourself in history.

 

- Sarah Secoy, Editor

© 2008 Jaded Silence Press


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
A websearch shows that this book doesn't exist.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on March 20, 2008

Author

Jaded Silence Press
Jaded Silence Press

Plattsburgh, NY



About
Jaded Silence Press is looking for a variety of horror, dark fantasy and supernatural stories to fill its pages. If you�re interested in getting published in anthologies feel free to submi.. more..

Writing