Book Review of My Side

Book Review of My Side

A Story by Jaded Silence Press

 

Book Review of My Side
 
            The first project that I worked on for Jaded Silence Press was the book called My Side written by Lina Young, or Fantasyfairy as many of you know her as. This little story is about my work on the book, what I’ve been doing with it as far as editing/formatting concern and my overall critique of the book.
            When I first started reading this book it reminded me greatly of an episode of Jerry Springer. For those of you who have read it, I’m sure that you will all agree. For those of you who haven’t, you’ll understand that bit here soon enough. The introduction chapter states the living conditions of the families that she grew up with as a child. It can be a little confusing if the reader doesn’t take the time to absorb all of the knowledge that is given. 90% of the names that are used in the first chapter are used throughout the rest of the novel.
            Lina’s novel spans to an astounding amount of 240 thousand words and over 450 pages with size 11 point font. I originally had it set at size 9 font, but figured that might be a little hard for readers to get through so I decided that 11 would be better. Changing the font size added an extra 100 pages to the novel.
            I’ve finally figured out how to get the formatting on the template to look identical to the pdf format on Lulu. It took me a while of playing around with the settings but I’ve finally got it situated. I had to reset the headers and footers and then set them again, therefore separating them from the rest of the body. Now that it is separated, the chapter headings can go at the top where I’ve been wanting them all along. Phew, thank God!
            Also among the editing, I’ve been catching some small grammar mistakes here and there, nothing too major on that point and making sure that everything is justified and looking as it should be. Plus I’ve been taking out all surnames and numbered street addresses at Lina’s request. Editing is so much fun…NOT! But it is needed.
            Now onto what I thought about the book. I personally thought it was well written, clear and concise. While reading it, I found myself hating certain characters while adoring others. Granted, even though these people aren’t fictional characters written by the author, they do have a way of making us feel things for them. That was a very well done aspect of the novel.
            Lina’s descriptions of her childhood, teen years and adulthood lead us all on a journey of a woman who is trying to find herself amongst adverse conditions. Every novel has conflict in it and this one certainly has enough to slap all other novels down in that regards.
            Lina goes through and tells about her life growing up around drugs, alcohol, sexual and physical abuse, sex, lies and just an overall emotional roller coaster that is her life. This book certainly touches down on the humane aspects of life and even gives a glimpse of the dirtier and more unethical things that you don’t often hear about.
            It took me about three weeks of hardcore editing and reading to get through this novel and I must say that it’s kind of one of those books that you can’t put down. You want to know what will happen next even though none of it is fabricated. A reader just gets caught up in her life and wants to know if she’ll make it out on top or get forced down to the bottom once again.
            This book certainly goes into being one of my favorites and it’ll probably stay as one of my favorites even with many many other novels coming in for Jaded Silence Press. I think perhaps because it was the first one that I’ve sat down and started editing or just perhaps it’s because of how well Lina wrote out the events. She takes the reader into the depths of her soul and bares all of her secrets. She did an amazing job with this novel and I know that it’s not easy for someone to write about the trials and tribulations of their life. Kudos to her on a job well done!
 
 

Lead Project Editor: Pauline Ramsey

© 2008 Jaded Silence Press


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

Jaded Silence Press
Jaded Silence Press

Plattsburgh, NY



About
Jaded Silence Press is looking for a variety of horror, dark fantasy and supernatural stories to fill its pages. If you�re interested in getting published in anthologies feel free to submi.. more..

Writing