The Ornament Written & Illustrations by William & Jacqueline Eyster 10/04/2016

The Ornament Written & Illustrations by William & Jacqueline Eyster 10/04/2016

A Story by Stories By Jacqueline & William Eyster
"

I had this story started and we had the chance to enter it for a possible spot with a local magazine in Irvington, Indiana. So I thought why not bring it out. christmas is around the corner literally.

"

The Ornament
Written & Illustrations by William & Jacqueline Eyster 10/04/2016

MUSIC 
"CANDY DANCE BY JEFF POOLE"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i775ybbeao

I awoke to the sunlight bursting thru the blinds. I roll over to kiss William on the nose. I say GOOD MORNING!!! Then I pull the covers off laughing. He yells out. STOP. COLD!! AS I laugh out loudly and put my slippers on. I look out into our backyard as the snow blinds me in the morning light. I say coffee? From under the covers I hear, yes please. So I make coffee and biscuits with butter and jelly. As I pass thru the livingroom of our small apartment I plug in our Christmas Tree. All the shopping is done gifts wrapped and Christmas is dripping from ever place in the apartment. I feel like going for a ride says William. I am game, sounds good to me. We smile and clinch coffee mugs as we eat breakfast watching "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" singing along to "HAVE A HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS THIS YEARRRRRR!!" We sing loudly. Getting up and getting ready we have to bundle up tight. READY and on our way to the truck. Seeing our breath until the truck completely heats up we laugh and joke. 
Hey lets go towards North Indiana out on the farm roads. My family used to have a corn and tobacco farm years ago up there. I said really I didn't know you come from farmers William? I was very surprised. After about 2 hours of driving around we pass this little old store off the to the side. We are not sure if it is still open for business and we see a blinding flash of light from the window that the sun was shining on. WE had driven by it and I thought I caught a Open sign. William turned around and we went back to the tiny store. It looked like an antique store or like a small flee market. Cozy and inviting with a small fire burning in a small fireplace. The smell of hot chocolate and coffee filled the air with the smell of cookies and baked goods. I smiled as we walked in we both had seen the gleam of a light come from behind the window glass. 
Hello we both said as we hear a big voice say "HELLO AND WELCOME" look around folks if you have any questions about anything I will tell you. There isn't anything here in this store that I do not know about. Almost all family heirlooms and gifts thru the years. They always find their way back to us to resell to another needy family. Needy I said to her. Yes she smiled. Love and togetherness is what this store is about. William and I split and went our separate directions. I was so taken by what I was seeing. Old bottles, plates, fixtures, dolls, trucks, lunch pails, furniture. They all looked like they were trapped in a time frame of 1880. Even the way it was set up. Like you stepped back into time. I heard a jingling sound. I turned around and walking towards the window I was mesmerized by the gleam of light hangin from a small tree sitting on top of the rack. I saw hands reaching and I jumped back. It was William. We laughed I said we had I swear this same ornament. William said If you look at it in the light you see a bunch of hearts. I said yes they look pink or red if you look at it directly. William said. YEAH!! How did you know that. I said my mom and dad took us riding and my mom found it at a garage sale here in Indiana on our way home to Southern Illinois. We had moved so much gosh I don't even remember when I last saw it. William smiled as he looked thru it to see the hearts. He said look Jackie. I looked directly thru it and there were the hearts. I said you know I never saw it again after my parents split. Weird huh? As William stood there holding up into the light. He said you know you might be right. I never saw it after dad left. Can we buy it I asked excited. Maybe if we show it how much we love each other it will stay with us. 
As we walked up to the counter we noticed small tables off to the side. I said UMMM HOT CHOCOLATE!! .. William smiled and said yeah!! lets get some. Hi my name is Donna Louise. Hi Donna Louise I am Jackie and my husband William Eyster. She smiled. Eyster? Well that's a scream from the past. I grew up with a few. The names escape me now. You from Indiana William? Yes ma'am I am said William with a smile. I have been gone a long time. Now I am back home to stay. Whatcha got there she said to me as I handed her the thin glass ornament. You know "She" doesn't take a shine to everyone. Only the ones with real love in their hearts. She has been around since 1875 in my family. Passed down and passed down. There must be a reason you picked "Her". I can tell you the story if you like. WE said ABSOLUTELY!!! WE said could we do it over some of that fabulous smelling Hot Chocolate. She laughed a hardy laugh and said of course. We brought us back two cups piping hot marshmallows and a dash of whip creme and a candy cane inside with 2 shortbread cookies. She poured herself a cup of coffee. We sat down to the table and she held up the glass ornament and a tear came to her eye. 
Way back in 1870 on the farm right behind us is how this came to be in our family. Farmer Jack and Donna Newkirk and their family. Their children were Tommy and James the twins they could sing like angels. Billy who was the artists and could duplicate whatever he saw they said on paper. Jackie and Donny were the story tellers and with Billy's picture they wrote children's books then faded out of sight after 40 years. This all starts with them. I actually have the story written in our family book. Would you like to read it? No we said in unison we want to hear you tell it. OK she smiled. This ornament actually was sold right from this very store to the Newkirk children. It has been said that "She" keeps coming back home to us and know that within the next 2 generations she will be back home. This store used to be a thriving store many many many years ago. WE enclosed the back half to make for a larger living space. WE have been opened for business since 1872 literally started as a feed store and mill then we started selling vegetables and eggs, baked goods then moved onto selling goods. It was said this ornament was seen in a black and white page and the store owners wife bought it to brighten the window glass looking over the fields. This store is open every morning from 8 am until 7 pm the original hours. I still get an order or 2 for feed when someone runs out. Now they do the online thing. 
Ok let me get back to the story. 
The children heard their parents arguing from outside about money and not being able to bring enough at market. Jack said, I hate to say this Donna but if the winter is that rough this year. I may have to go to Kansas City to work to support the family and farm thru the winter. The children blocked their parents out and gathered under an old apple tree. I have an idea said Tommy. If we work really hard this summer we can hopefully make enough to maybe get a little more at harvest. The other children lit up with smiles. YES!! THATS IT!! The very next morning they children got up early and set to their chores without being asked and went right to work. They worked thru that very hot and dry summer but they new at harvest something special would be in store for them. This was not going unnoticed by their parents. Who went to find empty beds in the morning. Beds made and rooms clean and the chores almost complete. Donna called for the children to come and eat. They were tired but again they knew if they helped instead of complaining it would be more help and daddy wouldn't have to go to Kansas City to find extra work. Jack looked up from breakfast and said to his children. Thank you kids for working so hard. We may actually have extra this year. Tommy spoke up and said, daddy you wont have to go to work in the city now. Then he quickly looked down, the children sighed. You know children shouldn't be listening to adults talking. Tommy apologized and said he wouldn't do it again. Jack and Donna nodded accepting the heartfelt apology. You kids need to be getting to school so you get an education. Something me and your momma didn't get to finish. I want you to learn all the stuff in those books. They filed in order to kiss and hug their parents then off to school. Harvest was getting close. They walked by the store and saw her shining in the window. That was going to be on our Chistmas tree they all smiled and ran towards the schoolhouse. 
See back then .10 cents was alot of money and the shop keepers wife had set the price that high so no one would buy and she could enjoy another holiday looking into it with the rose colored hearts. What she didnt know yet, she would be out when those children pulled their money together to buy it. Back then that was pure luxury and food and a roof came first. You didn't have a bunch of clothes and purses and shoes like you do today. They each had a good Sunday out fit they got once a year. Then the good Sunday outfit was passed down until it became rags to sew into a quilt. See all those quilts over there. Yes as we stretched our necks to see them on the walls. ALL clothes all those patches are good Sunday clothes passed down. My grandmother used to call them Sunday Quilts blessed by the Lord. You know why she asked? Why we replied. Because the farm clothes were so worn she sewed them together over and over. Until they were worn away. There was nothing to sew into a quilt she laughed out loud. 
The day finally came they started to harvest the crops. The kids worked extra hard never giving their parents a harsh word all year. They all worked long hours in the fields. Sometimes they would help other families as well as those families helping them. Community of support is what they used to say. WE cannot survive without each other. They were thankful and appreciative of each other every Sunday. They all sat down to potlatch on Sundays sharing a meal with each other. AS the last of the crops came in the kids gathered maybe if we pray and work real hard today maybe we can get an extra penny and that will be ours for Christmas chimed Donny and Billy. Mom and dad Newkirk watched in surprise as the children busied themselves with helping and Tommy and James singing Bible hymns. All the kids joined in as they looked over the empty fields their hearts swelled with pride. Daddy took momma's face in his hand and kissed her gently on the cheek. The children giggled when they saw this. Hey kids lets get some grub. Ur momma has biscuits, ham, and butter. The kids ran quickly to wash up then into the house. AS they came in the brought eggs and fresh milk. At that moment the knew that they would be fine for the winter that year. 
Getting up on a cold morning and see the windows covered over with frost and feeling the heat from the fireplace warming the room. It was the 1st snow fall and Christmas was that week. They did their chores and came together on the porch. The had made .2 cents each. They had enough money to buy it. Daddy and momma were getting a tree so they wrote a note and ran out of the door. AS they ran past their parents. Mom Newkirk called out. Where are you all going? To the store to buy a piece of candy. Daddy says, dont spend all that money foolish now. WE wont daddy. They ran as their breath made white trails behind them. They ran into the store. WHOAH!! said Mr Rogers. I have glass over there. What can I get you kids. Out of breath they pointed toward the gleaming glass ornament in the window. Well the Misses might get upset but everything is for sale he smiled. My Rogers looked at the price and thought, that is not right? He said wait a minute kids. I have to check something. No wonder he hadnt been able to see it. TEN CENTS FOR THIS he thought. The catalog said 4 cents. He came back and said. Sorry kids the price was marked wrong. All of their faces dropped and they started walking towards the door. NO CHILDREN. It is 4 cents not ten. The kids were very happy. So they paid the 4 cents and had 6 cents left. He wrapped it and they each took turns carrying it home carefully not to break it. By the time they reached the house walking and not running. The tree was up and the smell of pine tree filled the house. For some reason my mom and dad like the pine scent. 
WE made decorations and then we asked mom and dad to open this gift early. It was for the family from the kids to their parents that they loved so much. It was their thank you for giving them life and teaching and loving them so much. Mom opened the box and she help it up and tears came from her eyes. She said Jack look at this. Rose colored hearts inside of the glass almost like they were suppose to be there. They hugged the children and daddy hung it up on the tree so everyone could see it in the reflection of the flames. Christmas was truly for family coming together and the giving and receiving of love. Well, what do you think of that said Donna Louise. WE came back from the story like we had been transported there. Seeing everything, feeling everything and smelling everything. I held up the ornament. It was a simple glass blown ornament. Nothing fancy. On the inside it looked like pink and red hearts stretched into each other from top to bottom. it looked like hearts and love. Holding it I felt so good as I passed it to William to take in the beauty of it. WE said how much for it Donna Louise? She said. I think it was meant for you and William. I think it is my gift to you both. She smiled brightly. The placed it into a wooden box on a small pedestal inside.
All of the sudden it was so cold and the snow was blowing hard on our faces. William and I were lying on the ground we had fallen on ice. My head was bleeding and will had skinned his face. We looked up and the building was dark and had cobwebs on it. snow blown and stuck to the windows. No "Open" sign. No smoke from the chimney. WE peered thru the windows all dark inside but looked so familiar. No Hot chocolate no bakery goods. Just a closed store. From behind us we heard a voice. Are you folks ok.. You might want to be getting out of this. Storm is blowing in all of the sudden it is gonna be a whopper. It was a older man town Marshall. WE said. How long has this been closed?? he said the widow died about 10 years ago about this time. Always seemed to get a heck of a storm too. You kids need to be getting on. He smiled as he got into his car. WE got into the truck and there was the wooden box on the dashboard. We turned to wave to the Marshall. Nothing. Will and I sat close and headed for home. That is how we came to be the new home owners of The Ornament.

The End ?????
Jacki Eyster Songastry
WillJai Eyster RoJa Roxz

Stories By Jackie Eyster's photo.
Stories By Jackie Eyster's photo.
Stories By Jackie Eyster's photo.
Stories By Jackie Eyster's photo.

© 2016 Stories By Jacqueline & William Eyster


Author's Note

Stories By Jacqueline & William Eyster
Please ignore the grammar and punctuation. I was writing like a maniac.
PLEASE DO LISTEN TO THE SONG HERE BY JEFF POOLE. I was listening to it when I wrote this story. :)
Thank u very much for reading.
Jackie Eyster

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on October 6, 2016
Last Updated on December 20, 2016
Tags: The Ornament, Stories By Jackie Eyster, William Eyster, Jeff Poole, Stroy with music, Christmas, Suspense

Author

Stories By Jacqueline & William Eyster
Stories By Jacqueline & William Eyster

Indianapolis, IN



About
Hi WE are Jackie & William Eyster. Husband and wife story writing team. WE love writing creative stories and poetry. It makes our heart happy and we love to share with everyone. WE hope you enjoy our .. more..

Writing