Stay Together

Stay Together

A Story by Jack Crawford
"

My first attempt at horror.

"

 It was unlike Eve to go out on a Friday night. Normally she was lost in a good book or writing one of her own. Although there was something different about tonight. She put on a pair of black tights and a dark blue dress that complimented her eyes. There was a college bar within walking distance she always heard people talking about. After grabbing her purse she sent a text to her mom ‘Going out with some friends’ text you when I get home later.’ She lied about the friends’ part. If she told her mom she was going out alone she would worry too much. Her mom always worried too much. She would be fine.




The bar was alive with laughter and casual conversations. College kids from the local university would always flood to 4th Ave. I sat at the bar laughing with a young woman I had met earlier that night. She was pretty with dark red-brown hair and eyes as blue as the sea. We had been talking for a few hours. Her name was Eve. She was a junior at the university working on an English literature degree. She looked at her phone.

“It’s getting late,” She said as she looked back up at me.

“Wow, is it really 1:30 already?” I said after looking at my phone. “You live on campus? Want me to walk you home?”

Even her eyes expressed the smile that spread across her face. It made my heart skip a beat, “Sure.”

We paid our tabs and left the bar. Where 4th Ave ran north to south, 5th Street went east and west. We walked down Fifth Street continuing the conversation from the bar. I hesitated for a second when I saw a man walking ahead of us. I couldn’t put my finger on it but something about him felt out of place. The man took off running and disappeared in the shadows between two buildings.

I grabbed Eve by the arm. She had seen it too. An obvious attempt to hide from us, “Lets head back to the bar and call an Uber.” Eve said.

“Not yet we don’t know where he went he could have circled around behind us. Let’s just hide in this doorway for a few minutes then we can head back to the bar.” She nodded and we quickly moved. I held her close and put my back to one of the walls trying to fit in the shadows as best as possible. She wrapped her arms around my waist and laid her head against my chest. I could smell her lavender shampoo and what must have been a citrus scented body lotion or perfume.

“Alright I’m gunna take a look around,” I said after a few minutes. She held my hand as I stuck my head out and looked both ways. “It looks clear let’s head back.” Just as we stepped out of the doorway the man walked out from around a corner looking both ways, sprinting when he saw us. “Run!” I said as I pulled her with me.

“Let’s cut through here, we'll get to the bar faster,” I said as I took a sharp left.

“Are you sure? This doesn’t look right,” She followed me anyways.

Halfway down the alley I pretended to trip pulling her down with me. After she got to her feet she turned to help me up. I stalled letting the man catch up. I stood up putting myself between Eve and the man. He mirrored me in body size and height. The only difference was the dark hoodie he wore to hide his face. He lifted his hands and lowered his hood as I turned to face Eve. Terror covered her face but it turned to confusion as she looked back and forth from me to my second self. When my hooded doppelganger flickered several times, smiled and disappeared. She was frozen with fear. She watched my pale skin darken and turn to scales. My fingernails popped off as long claws extended from my fingertips.

She tried to back up but found she couldn't move, "What's happening?" She mumbled hysterically through paralyzed lips.

I lifted my head turning it back and forth like someone cracking their neck. I was unhinging my human jaw making room for the rows of serrated teeth that filled my mouth. As I crouched she began to scream. My teeth sunk into her throat as I tackled her to the ground. Her scream was quickly drowned by the crimson blood that filled her mouth. After I had eaten my fill what was left of my prey was cold and stiff. Once I had finished restoring my external Identity I walked back to Fifth Street, eager to return to my den and warm up.

© 2018 Jack Crawford


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really liked the story, your way with words pulls one into the situation you present. My only complaint is the title, as it sort of takes away from the climax of the story in a sense. The story ended in the way I expected due to the title, but if the title had refrained from mentioning reptiles, the twist would have been much better, but that's just my opinion. Great short story nontheless!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Crawford

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, I never thought about that, I'll start thinking of a better title.



Reviews

Great story! I was intrigued the whole way through. I didn't expect the ending at all. The only small thing that I would change is the prologue. It's great that it humanizes the girl, thought I think it would have flowed better without it. Just a thought. Keep up the good writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked the story, your way with words pulls one into the situation you present. My only complaint is the title, as it sort of takes away from the climax of the story in a sense. The story ended in the way I expected due to the title, but if the title had refrained from mentioning reptiles, the twist would have been much better, but that's just my opinion. Great short story nontheless!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Crawford

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, I never thought about that, I'll start thinking of a better title.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2018
Last Updated on March 27, 2018
Tags: horror, murder, suspense, monster, thriller, JackCrawford

Author

Jack Crawford
Jack Crawford

Morenci, AZ



About
I have always enjoyed writing but haven't been writing for a few years now I'm getting back into it and have several projects that I am working on. more..

Writing