As High As A Kite

As High As A Kite

A Story by Jack The Rabbit
"

Another bit of imagination from the mind of yours truly.

"
     The wind blew hard against me again and I inhaled deeply, my chest expanding enough to make my lungs stretch as much as they could, filling my breast with a piece of the sky. Cars sped past me and I regarded them as only pieces of scenery, knowing they were there but not caring. The woman next to me, noticeable only by her startling red hair, turned her attention towards me though I saw her only as a shape. "Jack." She said, her voice coming to me like a dream. The world was a dream in those moments of melted pastels. I felt all powerful. "Jack, fly. I'll hold on." Her voice was reassuring but subdued, as if carried on a breeze. I knew I could do it. A car past by at that moment, trailing behind it a gush of misplaced wind. Again, I inhaled and felt myself swell with the gathering of air. This time I filled my lungs and my feet left the sidewalk. As if caught on a gust, I flew up into the sky like a kite. I looked down, holding my breath, to see the woman holding a string that ran from my chest to twirl between her fingers. I got the impression that she smiled. Go. With a smile, I spread my arms and let the wind take me higher. The street vanished below me and I was at peace among the clouds, their condensation gathering on my body. More dew coated me and I felt my limbs come loose. All of the particles that had been me were loosening from their solid form and spreading out until I knew I had become a cloud as well.
"Where's Jack?"
"Free."

© 2010 Jack The Rabbit


Author's Note

Jack The Rabbit
I tried to convey the sense of utter peace I felt when I imagined this and I hope it showed. Any tips?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, wow. You play well with simplicity. It makes things work for you.

I'm not quite sure how you could get more of a 'sense of utter peace' out of this, becuase it seems pretty perfect to me.

Ah, and I actually just posted the other piece I was talking about when I reviewed your melting bottle piece... Though I'm glad you like the other one.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010

Author

Jack The Rabbit
Jack The Rabbit

Orldando, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Jack is an alias that just happens to sound cool with 'Rabbit'. Both are names that I'll go by. I'm from Florida and I've been trying to get some stuff out in the world. My writings are all origin.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Jack The Rabbit