Returning To Nature

Returning To Nature

A Story by Jack The Rabbit
"

This is true up to the point where I open my mouth. Worm phobia.

"
     I fall back into the water, vaguely aware that I've created a splash up above. I'm weightless, but somehow still sinking. A strange feeling, this. I can see the sunshine through the green haze of pond water and I squint my eyes. Even underneath a few inches of water, the b*****d is still bright. Despite this, I'm cold. Not quite cold enough for shivers, but discomfort seems to have no problem taking hold of my muscles and tensing them. Nevertheless, I do nothing to push myself back up to the surface and instead relax into the oblivion. No need to breathe. I forgot how. No matter. Little particles of suspended bits drift past me and I watch, focused on something so absolutely that I forget I'm slowly falling to the bottom. I land. Pond muck and algae squish underneath me like slime, my limbs coated in it. I can feel it trying to gush through my shirt and press into the back of my neck. At this I do shiver. My shoes hit the floor and I settle against the dirt and grime like all the other things on the bottom of this particular pond. Tiny fish swim hesitantly by me, though I see them as if looking through a green bottle full of dirty water. Shadows. My clothes finally rest back against my skin and I feel my hair still floating free. It feels strange after living under gravity all my life. Now that I have an end to my journey, I relax even more, my mouth opening. The cold enters my throat and I feel it numbing me. It is no time at all before I'm completely cold, my body feeling no longer attached. I have become part of the pond. Fish swim through the cavern of my body like they would a tank ornament.  In my mouth, out my foot. One or the other. Soon enough, I forget I ever had a body. As far as I can recall, I have always been part of this pond, sitting here in the muck, living with the dirt and fish. I feel at home.

© 2010 Jack The Rabbit


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Jack The Rabbit
As I write this, I'm shivering with utter disgust. I hate the bottom of ponds and all the things that live down there and I don't think you could pay me enough to lay there and open my mouth for all the floaty bits to get in. Ugh.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are far too kind, Seirai. : )

Posted 13 Years Ago


You make it seem like you would do just that, though. It's that convincing, the way you've written it.

I love the imagery of this, along with the same relaxed calmness in the other two bits of writing that I've read from you.
The phrase 'green bottle full of dirty water' amuses me so much. It oddly reminds me of science projects from school when I was younger, with the food coloring and the oil in the bottle...
The descriptions of the discomfort of the cool water causing tensed muscles and or finally shivering when you hit bottom are perfect, as well.

It's beautiful. I'm glad I stumbled onto "Melting Through The Bottle".

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010

Author

Jack The Rabbit
Jack The Rabbit

Orldando, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Jack is an alias that just happens to sound cool with 'Rabbit'. Both are names that I'll go by. I'm from Florida and I've been trying to get some stuff out in the world. My writings are all origin.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Jack The Rabbit