Hello & Goodbye

Hello & Goodbye

A Poem by Jacqueline D. Lopez
"

I’m not saying I won’t cry...

"
It’s crazy to think of the many things we take for granted in our everyday life. We never stop to just appreciate the things that were put in our lives that are part of the way we are today. We overlook people in our lives. We take advantage of them. We believe that they will be there forever but when they can’t, they’re the bad guy. I looked at most people in my life like that but as i seem to have mature a little over time, I now realize it’s okay. It’s okay that we move on. It’s okay to say goodbye. There is always a hello and a goodbye. A beginning and an end, and it was probably time we reached that. I’m not saying I won’t cry, I’m just saying that those tears will dry. Things won’t be the same but they aren’t supposed to. I always heard ”life is unfair,” but in a way life can be fair. In order to gain something we must lose something; it’’s a balance. No matter how hard we try, things will never be perfect. I understand they won’t be there for long, but I will never just forget them. Each and every person I’ve come in contact with has made an impact in my life, even if I don’t like them. They have all given me a memory that will be apart of me. I might not see this person again but it’s fine. I will not reminisce on what I have just lost but what has been created throughout our time together. A memory, a relationship, a friend. We lose to only gain once more. Throughout most of my life, I have taken these “lost relationships” for granted, when really I never lost the relationship. Just because that person is gone, doesn’t mean my relationship has gone with them. I see people as memories; you must cherish each one that is given to you. It’s okay if it’s just a distant memory that just seems impossible to remember now, but it’s there. Even the smallest part of it is there and it will always be there. It is now a part of you. It has impacted you in a way. It’s probably even the reason why you are the way you are. Your flaws are most likely due to a past experience with someone, but soon you will meet someone new. Those holes, those irreplaceable cracks will be filled in. What was lost can be regained. Of course it won’t disappear just like that. It won’t hide the fact that it was ever broken but it will show that things don’t have to be broken forever. So these memories, these friends that I might never see again, this is for them. I need them to know that it will be okay. I will never forget the individual bonds I have made with each and everyone of them and I would never plan on doing so. We had our ups and downs through the years, even if I just met some of them this year. It was the best year. You have all, in a way, shown how you care. You have all made me smile which I see as the greatest gift anyone could have given me. I feel happiest when I’m around you all. “Family isn’t whose blood you carry, it’s who you love and who loves you back.” I see you all not just as friends but as family. I have this love for my friends that just makes me really happy to have them in my life. I will never forget these incomparable bonds that have formed over time. In truth, new memories will be made. New friends will be made. New bonds will be made. I won’t be there to see some of my friends mature into adults. I won’t even be there to see them graduate from high school but my friends will be given more friends to greet them at the end of that line. Someone who will play a bigger role in their life, and I congratulate them because we took that first step to say goodbye and now life has rewarded them with a new hello. It was the only way we were able to grow...

© 2018 Jacqueline D. Lopez


Author's Note

Jacqueline D. Lopez
Ignore grammar/punctuation mistakes. Feel free to leave any suggestions. Let me know what you think. Thanks. :))

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on October 12, 2018
Last Updated on October 12, 2018
Tags: #memoir, #teen, #writer, #love, #friendship, #family, #memories, #goodbyes, #hello, #newbeginnings

Author

Jacqueline D. Lopez
Jacqueline D. Lopez

Oxnard, CA



About
more..