Roses are Red

Roses are Red

A Story by Jade
"

A story I wrote years ago, I got really really bored, and I write weird things when I get bored. I never finished it though, like so many of my other works....

"
This is the story of my life that I can remember... It is short, yes, but I learned a lot about love throughout my trials and experiences. I felt like I had to write it down for future generations to read, and possibly learn from. It goes like this....

*Sighs* 'Another day, just sitting here not doing anything productive and just wasting myself away in this small flower shop.' says a young red rose to herself. She is smaller than her acquaintances and her petals weren't yet in full bloom. 'I will most likely be stuck here doing or seeing nothing my whole short life...' she continued.

The sweet tinkling of bells brought the me out of my thoughts. A man had just walked in. He was tall, his short dark hair was a mess, yet he was wearing a suite and tie. He hurriedly walked up to the store clerk.

"I'd like to buy a rose for my daughter, she has her Christmas concert tonight." said the man in a noticeably impatient voice.

"Well," said the clerk, "we have a variety of roses here if you'd like to take a look." He motioned to where I was. I got excited, maybe he would pick me! The clerk led the man closer to me as he looked around.

"I will probably choose a red or pink one, since those are her favorite colors." said the man as he edged closer to me. By then, the clerk had already walked back behind the counter, only looking up and grunting when he heard the mans voice.

After a couple of minutes of searching, the man startled me when he picked me, of all of the more beautiful roses. Holding my stem gently he laid me on the counter as he talked to the clerk.

 "I chose a young one so it will last her longer. " he said as he counted out the change from his pocket.

"Good choice," grunted the clerk while handing the man his change.

When the man left, he hurriedly grabbed the bag I was in and walked to his car. After about fifteen minutes of driving, it appeared as though we had arrived.

We were at a tall building with many cars in the parking lot, and people hurrying to get inside. He picked me up and quickly walked into the building.

"Crap, I'm late," I heard him say to himself, while checking his watch.

We were soon in a big auditorium with hundreds of people sitting in seats. The lights were dim, but the stage with children singing and dancing was brightly lit. After about an hour, the performance ended, and a little girl was running up to the man.

I saw at once that she was very pretty. Her glossy dark brown curls went almost down to her waist, and her deep green eyes were glowing.

"Did you see me daddy?! Did you see me?" she asked her father eagerly in a voice that resembled music.

"Yes princess, I did! You were wonderful!" replied the man enthusiastically as he looked at her with pride. He then took me out of my bag and handed me gently to the little girl.

"This is for you my darling Alexis, you did wonderful!" he said. Alexis beamed, clearly excited about getting me, a small red rose. She caressed me and jumped to hug her father.

"Thanks daddy," she whispered in his ear. Then, looking up at him, "But where is mommy?" she inquired.

"I don't know honey, maybe she got stuck at work." he said, annoyance flashing in his face, the quickly disappearing.

They made their way home and Alexis wouldn't let me go until we reached their house. She got a small quaint va
se, filled it with water, and carefully set me inside. Placing me on the center of the dinner table, I noticed my surroundings for the first time.

The house I was in was small, but fairly clean. The furniture was old and worn out, but the place looked like someone had at least tried to make it look nice. It was then that I noticed that there wasn't anyone in the house but Alexis and her dad.

© 2013 Jade


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!

Author's Note

Jade
If you have any questions or comments, please do so.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My only question is "Will you make more short stories like this?" because my comment is "Its awesome!"

I loved the point of view reading and I began to think of the endless possibilities of, one, where the story could go and what the lil' pink rose would tell us readers, two, would it be a happy ending or would the rose get broken in forgetful childish excitement, and three, what would the rose's last thoughts be at the end of the story.

I was a bit sad to see there was no last thoughts except for "they gave me a drink" and I liked that, but there could be a conclusion referring back to the start when the rose was complaining. This is only a small suggestion in an otherwise flawless and beautiful gem of a story. Do this again if mood strikes you!

P.S. is there a reason the title is about red roses? or are you just referring to the ageless starting lines of that poem we all know?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jade

10 Years Ago

Ha ha, I didn't think anyone would like this one. Yes, I will probably make more short stories like .. read more



Reviews

I feel the ending and beginning were a bit weaker than the other parts, do to it being a little bit vague, but I was honestly smiling the whole time I was reading this. It was just so sweet! And most of the time it managed to be pleasantly subtle rather than vague. It's also very well written, making it quite satisfying to read, and the whole concept was extremely creative. The relationship between Alexis and her father is easily understood, and you manage to make him flawed yet someone we can empathize with in barely no time at all. It's really impressive that you can write in a way that's just so damn fun! So impressive, in fact that I'm going to subscribe.

Posted 6 Years Ago


My only question is "Will you make more short stories like this?" because my comment is "Its awesome!"

I loved the point of view reading and I began to think of the endless possibilities of, one, where the story could go and what the lil' pink rose would tell us readers, two, would it be a happy ending or would the rose get broken in forgetful childish excitement, and three, what would the rose's last thoughts be at the end of the story.

I was a bit sad to see there was no last thoughts except for "they gave me a drink" and I liked that, but there could be a conclusion referring back to the start when the rose was complaining. This is only a small suggestion in an otherwise flawless and beautiful gem of a story. Do this again if mood strikes you!

P.S. is there a reason the title is about red roses? or are you just referring to the ageless starting lines of that poem we all know?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jade

10 Years Ago

Ha ha, I didn't think anyone would like this one. Yes, I will probably make more short stories like .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2013
Last Updated on June 11, 2013
Tags: roses, life

Author

Jade
Jade

Nampa, ID



About
I'm Jade, and I'm a young writer that loves deep literature, reading, and writing. I love philosophy and thinking about those really deep things that most people don't ever think about. I h.. more..

Writing
Stupidity = Me Stupidity = Me

A Story by Jade