The Swift Passing of Life

The Swift Passing of Life

A Chapter by Jaffa Forbes
"

Contest Entry

"

 

Prologue

 

 

The world we know is huge, I mean, massive.

But the actual world we exist in, the circles we twirl in, the footsteps we make, the places we go, the city that we live in...

All these are really quite small.

 

A long time ago, a once close friend, my last and only girlfriend infact, said to me:

"Arthur, the world is small. It's so small that I could pick it up in one hand!"

Needless to say, I laughed and thought this complete nonsense, but knowing my girlfriend to be the intellectual sort,  I then asked her:

"How can that be? My hand is barely big enough to hold an apple!"

To which she replied dramatically,

"But surely that apple is the world?!"

 

At the time I didn't understand her, and a knudge, a little niggle at the back of my mind started to grow. It had been there for a while I think. She was beautiful and witty and intelligent, but it was like a brilliant white flame to moth. She eclipsed me. After a short time I had had enough. She was too eccentric, too full of life, too crazy that I could no longer stand the heat. She was too intense, and I have not seen her for a good 20 years now.

 

And yet, even now, I am searching through my old files and blowing away the cobwebs, I am trying to find her telephone number.... because I want to know what she meant.

I want to understand her.

I need to understand her soon because if I don't, I may not ever have the chance.

I have Four Weeks until I die.

 

My name is Arthur Swift.

And I want to start to live.

 

 



© 2008 Jaffa Forbes


Author's Note

Jaffa Forbes
revisions made 4/05/08
revisions made 26/03/08

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

At first I was taken off guard by the centering but after a while I got into it. It's an excellent prologue with just enough of a taste to draw the reader in and hook 'em good. You're up against some stiff competition, so I would like to make a few suggestions.

The idea of the writer at the typewriter is WAY overdone. It's really clich�. It is my opinion that it weakens the piece. (slight, but there)

The other thing I have hesitations with is the idea that this guy would blow off a "close" friend after just one statement. I suppose if it was the last straw... ...or if he wasn't as close, a co-worker or acquaintance or friend of the girlfriend I could see him shying away.

Brilliant work, good luck with the contest.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

sad... but great work. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


When it comes to reading fiction, I'm way too picky. Which is annoying, but I can't really help that for me, it has to be something different. The words sort of have to move on their own, it has to flow a certain way that I don't completely understand.

But whatever it is, this is it. It's great. I'll definitely read more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


w-o-w. this is good. its causal and honest and i want to read the rest. the centering was a little weird but its very intriguing and I'm dieing to read more. great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
reading this reminded me of something a friend told me. something like how big and how crowded the whole world is but we manage to carve out a place for ourselves. you can enjoy a handful of life, being perfectly content with what you hold but then there is always the chance to reach out for more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


this is fantastic. for me, the very first requisite for good writing is if the opening hooks you. this prologue does just that, and makes me eager to continue on with the story. it's quite pretentious of me, but i often put a book down if the first line isn't great. right from the get go, this story is glazed with such powerful voice, and i can't wait to read more. i look forward to reading more of your writing, but especially in regards to the continuation of the story of arthur swift.
very well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I enjoyed reading this, it is quirky and unusual. I'd be enough for me to want to read on, good stuff! ;-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


This prologue is amazing! I couldn't look away, I had to finish reading it. The fact that he needs to know what she meant because he only has 4 weeks to live was an excellent touch.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I love it. This is an awesome piece.I was trying to submit a title for you, but I got lost in the shuffle somewhere? Got confused about the submission.

So I'll submit it to you here. "An Aquired Taste for Fruit Lost"
Good luck with this piece in whatever plans you have for it.

~Taj

Posted 16 Years Ago


Good job. It pulled me in, and I liked the words you chose, and the way you described his longing to be with this one girl, who pulled him in because of her wit and intellect, yet was as intense as fire. Kinda reminded me of myself, and made me reminesce over one past relationship i had.

the format was a little confusing at first, the centering, but the others who reviewd were right, it pulled you in more, the way you spaced it out.

overall, i love it. and want to read chapter 2.

Posted 16 Years Ago


At first I was taken off guard by the centering but after a while I got into it. It's an excellent prologue with just enough of a taste to draw the reader in and hook 'em good. You're up against some stiff competition, so I would like to make a few suggestions.

The idea of the writer at the typewriter is WAY overdone. It's really clich�. It is my opinion that it weakens the piece. (slight, but there)

The other thing I have hesitations with is the idea that this guy would blow off a "close" friend after just one statement. I suppose if it was the last straw... ...or if he wasn't as close, a co-worker or acquaintance or friend of the girlfriend I could see him shying away.

Brilliant work, good luck with the contest.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1325 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2008
Last Updated on May 4, 2008


Author

Jaffa Forbes
Jaffa Forbes

Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom



About
Jaffa Forbes is the bored business student of Canterbury, UK. He is a writer of all things, but mainly poetry and novellas, not to mention the odd satire article. He is fond of speaking about him.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


Muse Muse

A Poem by