He went where she could not follow

He went where she could not follow

A Story by JaineDoe
"

He promised he never would.

"
He promised he would never venture where his beloved Jolene could not follow and she promised the same. Both sealed their promise beneath a blossom tree with a sweet and chaste kiss, their hearts bursting with love and joy to have been so fortunate to find and fall in love with one another. They had married a short time after that day and had loved and lived together for thirty five years, they kept their promises until now.

Jolene watched, frozen to the spot as paramedics worked mercilessly to revive the man upon the floor in the living room. Memories flashed through her mind of happier times, their wedding day, their first kiss. John's body was cold, he had been dead for hours, a suspected heart attack. Standing before Jolene was a police officer explaining this to her but Jolene was not present, she had retreated into her thoughts. 

"I love you, you old fool."
"I love you too, my Pistachio Dove"

They had smiled, shared a kiss, sat pressed side by side watching the sunrise that morning. Jolene felt a gentle hand press upon her shoulder and she shrinked away from the contact, she did not wish to be disturbed, did not wish to be pulled from thought because if she was pulled from her thoughts then she would have to feel the cold weight of reality pull her down. She would have to admit to herself that John was dead and she refused. 

"Mrs. Strange? Is there anyone who can come and sit with you?"

A voice spoke, and Jolene craned her head so quickly in the direction she had heard the voice coming from and she looked.. surprised, surprised to be asked this, why did they ask her this? 

"Why? My husband will be along any moment now, he is always around this time you see, all home in time for dinner. My John and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary.. it's just us, our children will be celebrating with us on the weekend." Jolene rushed out, little smiles here and there as she spoke. Tears welling in her old brown eyes. She realised that her house was almost swarming with people, paramedics, two police officers, neighbours who were clearly concerned due to the flashing lights outside of her home.

Jolene suddenly became confused and flustered, waving her arms in the air as she began to demand "Why are you in my house? You're making a mess! My John will be home any minute! We are celebrating and we would appreciate the privacy! Get out!" She urged and began to push at the paramedic who was just packing away the medical equipment. Another paramedic waiting near the body to be moved upon a stretcher to be transported away.

Jolene watches them transport the body who she refuses to believe is her husband until they are gone from sight, the police are not long behind along with the neighbours, everyone is apologetic but Jolene cares not, she could not wait to be rid of them and after they are gone and the silence creeps in, she returns to the living room where a man she knows too well waits for her in the middle of the room. He has a smile only for her.

"Hello my Pistachio Dove.."

He said. Jolene's breathe hitches, her head cocking a little to the side, lips twitching into a heartbreaking sorrowful smile.

"They said you were dead, John.. I knew it wasn't true."

She finds herself whispering in response. John's smile falters somewhat and Jolene feels the weight of reality beginning to seep in because of it. 

"You cannot be dead, you made a p-promise all those years ago do you remember? You said you would never go where I cannot follow..  I cannot follow you in death.." She whimpered. "P-please" She whimpers, a stray tear rolling from her eye as she does so.

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry my love.." He apologies, Jolene dares to cross the room to wrap her arms around the man she loves but when she makes it to the middle of the room, he is gone and Jolene shakes, frantic. "John! John please don't leave me!" She cries out. She drops to her knees, praying to the god she long since stopped believing in to bring her husband back but she is given nothing but silence..


----------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued.

© 2018 JaineDoe


Author's Note

JaineDoe
Constructive Criticism is welcome, please note that I am very new at this.
I know already that this story is poor.. ^^;

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's very well written, with good descriptions, makes you read and see the story as in a movie, love it (: you should continue on this story (:

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wouldn't say it's poor;it has potential. It's just...unfinished.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 5, 2018
Last Updated on September 6, 2018
Tags: Death, Mourning, Longing, Lovers, Married

Author

JaineDoe
JaineDoe

United Kingdom



About
Um.. 29 I would very much like to write Horror/Crime/Thriller fiction more..