My Sword

My Sword

A Story by Jamie Bradshaw
"

A young squire is chosen to defend the honor of a strange Lady.

"

**This is the intro to a story I'm writing. Please let me know what you think** 


  The dark knight approached me. I drew my sword and advanced. What was I thinking when I accepted the challenge to defend the woman's honor? I don't know her. She doesn't know me. But, no other man, knight or squire, would accept. Why did I? The Lady of Swamp Light Keep. What kind of title was that? What swamp is this keep in, anyway? I've certainly never heard of it. Apparently, though, everyone else on the tourney field has because like I said: not a single soul accepted the challenge of the dark knight to defend this woman.

  I narrowly deflected the knights attack. His great sword was easily six feet from tip to pommel. He wielded it with ease and grace, so I'm amazed that I wasn't split in two! I think he's playing with me for his amusement, or for the assembled crowd. I think the former! The Lady did not move. In fact, she seemed quite oblivious to my efforts to stay alive and defend her honor. Her honor? I'm not even sure what the affront to her actually is. I swing at the knight with my sword. My opponent is agile despite his size. His plate armor looks heavy, but he moves with the grace of a cat. He's not even bulky, just large, in a strange way I cannot quite convey. Large, agile, and playing with me, just like a cat toying with its prey before finally gobbling up the poor critter. I am that poor critter.  

  A slash from the Cat Knights sword! I feel the burn of steel on flesh as the blade kissed my cheek. Another, and another. The flat of the blade hurts almost as bad. I've no doubt, now, the Cat Knight is playing with me. The shield I carry starts weighing me down, it's usefulness now in question. I'm not cut out for this. I'm just a squire. Squire to a poor, landless knight. A poor landless knight that hasn't taught me five things about being a knight. Or, for that matter, a swordsman. My lack of skill is apparent for all to see and I know this because they laugh. I am the entertainment. The Silent Lady sits. I can only assume that she watches. I believe I will die this day, on this tourney field, in front of the whole kingdom. A fool of a squire, stupidly defending a mysterious Lady against and an equally mysterious knight. I deserve my fate!

  "Enough!" The Silent Lady commanded silence from the crowd with her one word proclamation. The commoners, and the assembled Lords and Ladies murmured in shock. The king, who's presence I had forgotten, glared at this strange woman. Why does he just sit? Is he not the king? His queen stares down at her slippered feet. Is this the proud queen of the realm? The king's knights, the knights squires and even the lowly men-at-arms, the common soldiery, all stand in shocked silence. Not a single movement from the crowd. Not a single word. The sun suddenly feels blisteringly hot. The birds seem eerily silent. The dogs have all stopped barking. The children are silent. The children are silent! Even suckling babes! Who is this woman? 

  The Cat Knight, my hitherto relentless attacker, lowered his sword. He stands still and silent. His menacing grace seems more potent in the silence. A slight breeze wafts lazily by and the scent of roses tickles my nose. This is surreal. My exhausted limbs lower sword and shield. I breathe in the sweet air. An agonizing itch afflicts my body, the heat from my armor threatening to boil me alive!

© 2014 Jamie Bradshaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very good Jamie. It is descriptive and interesting, you definitely have me intrigued - Will you be uploading more?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jamie Bradshaw

10 Years Ago

Glad you like it. I will upload more as I write it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 27, 2014
Last Updated on April 28, 2014
Tags: fantasy, lord, lady, king, queen, sword, knight, squire

Author

Jamie Bradshaw
Jamie Bradshaw

NY



About
I'm married with children. I sort of play guitar (been in three bands: Red Red Cabbage, Pagan Holiday--now known as 13PaganHoliday13--, and Wicked Imp). I have three cats: Olive, Bean, and Tux. Co.. more..

Writing