They call it functioning anxiety

They call it functioning anxiety

A Poem by Jane Stones

I force my eyes shut begging rather to stay in the nightmares of sleep than to face the reality of consciousness. The butterflies are there before my first thoughts, frantic in their quest to escape the bounds of my skin. If I could only open my mouth and let them fly free perhaps I could have a normal day.


It doesn’t work


I do not know why they are there. I rack my mind to find some semblance of understanding. Why this uncalled for fear? Why do I feel like I cannot cope again, when I cope every day? Please somebody put them to sleep. I can’t take another day of tight shoulders and sweat… of threatening tears that never come… of analysing every word I say and every word said for some mistake that proves I am indeed stupid… messages not sent because I am afraid… constant busyness to quiet my screaming mind… fingernails bleeding from ripped skin … not near as painful as the damage in my brain.

Please help me

© 2017 Jane Stones


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on November 13, 2017
Last Updated on November 13, 2017

Author

Jane Stones
Jane Stones

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
My words are simple. They rarely make you think past them on a first read. I just write, just let the words flow, its not extravagant poetry worthy of praise but its honest and real and ready to be sh.. more..

Writing
Grief Grief

A Poem by Jane Stones