The Assurance Of Kings

The Assurance Of Kings

A Poem by NightShade
"

They say that In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One Eyed Are Kings.

"
You once told me that some day, we'd be living like kings.
Yeah... We've come a long way since then...

Do you remember surreptitiously raiding the iron clad box of life behind a Safeway? Slip-sliding our way, across the pungent wet, towards shared sustenance; knowing that we were more than this? That we'd get over this and never lose track of ourselves?

Yeah... We've come a long way since then...

Do you remember how we ruled our street? How we earned our way and took only what we needed? Do you remember what happened when we strolled onto someone else street? How we forgot our mortality? Those were the days when we felt like gods!
 Pulling bits of tooth from our knuckles, we thought we knew our limitations, our borders and what we had to do to expand them. Expand them we did!

Yeah... We've come a long way since then...

Do you remember all the fools we endured? All the hustles, shakedowns and scams? Do you remember running the rooftops and the under-dark beneath the streets? Remember lying concealed under vehicles praying this s**t would work? It had to work! Each plot and scheme succeeded on the merit of our conviction.

Do you remember what happened when it DIDN'T work?

I do. Vividly... I remember the thumb-sized, cauterized holes in your chest. I remember trying to hold down your thrashing form and a Salvation Army dinner... I distinctly remember your passing; thinking that your kingdom should have extended far beyond our little universe in the Valley.

Yeah... We've come a long way since then...

Gone are the weaknesses of a diseased Spirit; the brutal twists of mind!Gone is our vainglory; our pride in foolish things. Forgotten are our petty hatreds and our lust for what's not ours or needed!

These things have been replaced with a thirst for righteousness, honor, correct action and wisdom! With the desire for humility, compassion and strength. Now we truly know what it means to be kings!

Oh yeah... We've come a long way since then...

You once told me that someday, we'd be living like kings...

Now it's my turn to assure you that in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed are kings and in the kingdom of the Gods...

We'll get by... We'll get by...


© 2011 NightShade


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it, Each lines was packed with emotion, longing, and hope. The flow was wonderful and your use of words created a vivid scene as I read.

You hooked me from the beginning, and kept a hold of me through the end; Not once did I stumble from the words, or lose interest. Great job, keep up the good work.

Vinny~

Posted 12 Years Ago


A good, honest tale of growing up--of growing wiser.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Dang... Spot-On fantastic write...
who has not cringed suspended in hindsight...but then again who has not had an epiphany of sorts while adjusting to the lenses
bravo ...read this three times

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was amazing.
The imagery lit up in my mind as I saw it all happening RIGHT in front of me.
In my mind I saw two men living a hard life...and in the end, I only saw one.
The poem shows sadness, remorse, and even hope really well. I love it.

100/100 (Going in my favorites)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

860 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011

Author

NightShade
NightShade

Los Angeles, CA



About
Rather than go on about myself, I think that I'll just post some of my work and THEN you'll know me a bit better, eh? more..

Writing