Massasoit

Massasoit

A Story by Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
"

I am venting....

"


















A statue of Massasoit stands on the lawn of Utah State Capital.
 While walking past, 
I play with the thought of placing the sign in his hands
to greet the legislators.
My sign said "We, American Indians welcomed you"

 This great leader of the Wampanoag Confederacy saved the Pilgrims from hunger at Plymouth.
He sent envoys to welcome the new settlers, smoking the pipe of peace and negotiating with early leaders in 1621. He allowed them to live, hunt, fish and share the land of his people. He sat with them and listened to their ideas, their concerns and even aligned himself with their political views.

What would Massasoit think today?

Utah legislators cut three quarters of a budget that helps indigenous people. The remainder of monies needed to be spent to do an assessment on the problem. The biggest cut came out of services to minorities. 
We rallied in the rotunda of the capital building to save the Office of Ethnic Affairs. They told us"it was not working the way it was right now,  and that the Governor was going in a different direction."

 We knocked on the door of the Governor's office to ask him some questions but were told that he could not meet with us.
Although he did have time to fire the Director of Indian Affairs last week. 
We would have made time to listen to his concerns to change the leadership for our community-had he asked. 
Does he know the impact of this action? In the meantime we are left without a voice in government.
He has not responded so far to questions.
Do we not deserve a seat at the table?

Does he know that the state he represents is Indian country, named in the language of the Great Ute tribe?
so many questions to ponder.
Why does the White Man fear diversity?
Could it be that he is afraid of losing power, a place of privilege he feels entitled to and has to safeguard. I observe that the laws in Utah reflects the interest of the most powerful, influential and affluent members that do not need help.
How very different from traditional Native ways, where the health of a community was gaged by how well they cared for their most vulnerable, the elders and children.

Let us acknowledge and validate each other with respect and dignity. Let us learn from each others differences for the benefit of all. Treating each other humanely. We the first inhabitants of this land have made great contributions to this Country.  
 
We welcomed you to the Wasatch Mountains when you were persecuted  for being different and fled west.  
We showed you foods that grew in certain areas, medicines to heal yourself. We shared with you so that you could build homes for your families here upon our land. 
Showed you where to hunt and gather food so that you could live, just like Massasoit did with the pilgrims.

 We share a unique political relationship. For we are the only ethnic group that has entered into treaties with the United States Government.  These are Nation to Nation contracts, binding and liable to international law if not kept.
Elected Legislators,
Do you remember that whole tribes were moved out at gunpoint and put on reservations? Our ancestors endured concentration camps for years and many of them died. We have paid a high price with land, resources, culture, language and a way of life. 
Don't insult us with signs that feed our children and communities false information. There are billboards plastered along our roads stating that "Jim Bridger discovered the Great Salt Lake." 
Tell the whole truth especially when it is about the history of our state. Don't edit and leave out information that you are ashamed of. 

Remember the words of Justice Black "great nations, like great men should keep their word."

Let us live in peace, harmony, respect and the basic necessities of life. Many of our people do not have basic needs such as running water, electricity, healthcare and education. Your founding fathers promised they would take care of our people in exchange for all that was taken.
 
Remember your promises in the treaties you wrote and signed.   
 
You do a disservice to our nation when you choose to promote and single out the interests of one group above another. 
This disservice promotes distrust, disharmony and disunity.

Many peoples, cultures and races make up our world. 
Honor our differences so that we can make a better world for our children.

© 2012 Jaweena...Eileen Quintana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You speak great truth here.
You brought tears to my eyes.
This writing of yours is no rant, but a call to stand together, a powerful call.
Diversity is power, it makes sense that those who wish to control fear diversity.
Massasoit would want us to stand together, to protect this land and all of those that live in it...I will honor the actions of Massasoit.
Massasoit is the honorable one, there is much to be learned from him.
I did not know the statue in front of the capital was of Massasoit, how many times I walked by and did not know, and yet it makes sense...knowing this means a lot to me personally.
Excellent writing!


Posted 13 Years Ago


Our people have withstood genicide, massacres, everything that could be taken from a human being. They SURVIVED!! We are adaptable. We are resilient! We are POWERFUL!!

We are obligated to those that gave so much before us....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have no greater goal then exactly that....my Brother!! to exchange ideas, ponder upon complex issues that face us in this world. Aren't words wonderful, the capacity to communicate. If we five fingered beings could do this a little more- so many of our problems would be clarified to resolution. My message is there, but learning how to use my words is hard for me sometimes. English is my second language which I learned when I was put in Boarding School. I really struggle to convey my thoughts in a style that fits me. I love reading the writings of professionals like you- I am learning something new daily!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Each day we lose more. Native American and all people are losing their freedom and ability to survive. I believe the "Massasoit" would be disappointed. The way of the Native American is simple. Abuse Earth less as possible. Eat what you kill. Love and protect the water, the earth and the sky. Be teachers to your children and respect all people. Today we need strong leaders with wisdom and common sense. We are on the wrong road. Each day we lose our freedom and the green earth is abuse and destroyed. What can we do. I believe all Tribes must gather. Strength in numbers. A powerful and sad story. You made me think.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


every word the truth , a disgrace and insult to the indigenous people of this land . of earth .

Posted 13 Years Ago


I won't vent here and now. I will say Bravo! Your words of truth are a Tour de Force.
Copy this, and send it far and wide. I agree with you completely, how can anyone disagree?
This is excellent.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1189 Views
7 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 8, 2011
Last Updated on July 15, 2012

Author

Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
Jaweena...Eileen Quintana

UT



About
"Ya'at'eeh" means hello in the Navajo language. My name is Eileen Quintana....Jaweena was a name that my brother called me when I was a baby. I am learning how to write about my unique perspective.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Saxicolous Saxicolous

A Poem by OT


geese geese

A Poem by paul