Cradle-board

Cradle-board

A Story by Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
"

Traditional cradle-boards have been used in my family for years protecting our babies from harm. Many people don't understand the concept, so I thought I would try to explain.

"


Soft, brain-tanned buckskin sewn with sinew,

adorned with floral designs of seed beads in varied colors

individually, painstakingly sewn into intricate patterns 

distinguishes the tribal linage of newborn baby

curved shade made of supple limbs of the Tamerisk bush

cleaned and braided together to protect eyes from the rays of the sun.

Little brown arms and legs swaddled securely within leather straps.

Enveloped, embraced by natural gifts from Mother Earth, sacred plants

 and four-legged brothers and sisters.

Protecting and preparing infant warrior for life's many battles.

Cradle-board created with blessing songs, prayers and a ceremony

celebrating new life.

From within this safe cocoon, introduction to sacred elements follow.

Fire, wind, water, land, sky and brothers and sisters of all shapes & sizes

 TEACH.

Observing and becoming aware of the universe baby

 LEARNS

 he is one part of this world.

What he does has a bearing upon those around him. 

From within the confines of his cradle-board he learns 

patience, 

endurance

 discipline

and the power of one.






 

© 2011 Jaweena...Eileen Quintana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When baby is wrapped securely in a cradleboard-you can stand it up against a tree outside, so that baby can watch animals, the movement of tree branches, feel the wind, sunlight and be taught by the best teacher of all-Mother Earth and Father Sky. Thus learning about their surroundings. Cradleboards keep baby safe and takes the place of momma's arms when she is busy. We often put a mesh see through netting to keep insects off baby. I will have to post a picture of one of my babies wrapped!


Posted 13 Years Ago


'and the power of one.'

too many think of that in selfish terms . when it in fact that knowing the role of an individual is makes the whole complete.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ya'ateeh Coyote,
Our traditional teachings handed down hold so much wisdom. We have abandoned them to live in a world in between. Confused and lost in self identity we have lost our strength. The teachings of our elders are rarely heard anymore. We need to step up to take the responsibility to embrace our past, present so that we have a future! We need to teach our white brothers how to listen to the world around them without trying to control everything!
"Ahehee" thank you to a powerful warrior in deeds and words Coyote. Your sacrifice is noted and appreciated beyond what you think. I appreciate the exchange of thoughts.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful words and photo. Your poem is true and the way should be the desire of all men. I saw terrible things in my life. I went to Africa a few times and saw the starvation and sickness. One million are dying a month of HIV and starvation. No-body cares. 1.2 trillion on war is Ok. If we follow the words in this poem. The circle of life would assist their brothers with a open heart. Thank you for the beautiful poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

919 Views
5 Reviews
Added on March 18, 2011
Last Updated on March 18, 2011

Author

Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
Jaweena...Eileen Quintana

UT



About
"Ya'at'eeh" means hello in the Navajo language. My name is Eileen Quintana....Jaweena was a name that my brother called me when I was a baby. I am learning how to write about my unique perspective.. more..

Writing