"Shima" Mother

"Shima" Mother

A Story by Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
"

I wrote these entries into my journal after my mother passed away.

"

"Shima"

 

 

You come into this world birth, childhood, youth, adulthood and old age. You walk all over Mother Earth. You live, suffer, rejoice and finally die, within such a short time compared to time for trees, mountains and rivers.

 

You need to figure out what your purpose in life is accomplish what your heart and mind directs you to do. Make a difference, figure out what your contribution is…

 

I believe natural things will always recognize and remember your spirit. Just as shima (my mother) use to say to me when we would walk out in the desert herding sheep or gathering herbs “you need to talk to them, the plants all have names, when you gather herbs you say the name of the plant, you plead with the plant to help heal you.”

I watched her thank the plant for its sacrifice/contribution with her own offering of corn pollen. She would counsel to only take what you need.

 

I remember she would always tell me when traveling over land you should always greet the mountains, rivers and animals. Make an offering give a gift.

We took mom who was 91 at the time, into Yellowstone National Park several years ago.

I explained to her that the land we were going into was inhabited by many animals, moose, elk, buffalo and bears and that you could still see them roaming all over the land. Upon entering the park she asked us to stop the car and made us all get out of the car and face east. She offered a prayer, it was to the animals-our four legged brothers and sisters.  She honored them by acknowledging that we were visitors and asking permission to enter, this was not our land it was theirs we had come there with good thoughts and intentions we did not mean any harm. So it was that she asked our animal brothers and sisters to allow us on their land and to allow us to leave peacefully. Which we did after visiting several days and offering prayers.

 

I am astounded by the wisdom of my people! Humility, thankfulness is an attribute that is not being taught anymore. We have forgotten our place in the universe, we as indigenous people no longer practice these simple basic respectful offerings to those we share Mother Earth with. WE NEED TO DO THIS! Don't let your busy life of appointments, cell phones, and hi -tech time guzzling inventions rob you and your precious children of these basic fundamental practices.

 

Teach them that everything has a spirit.

 

We are only a part of this magnificent circle, acknowledge and thank creations around you for their contribution. ..Always have an offering (gift) to show your gratitude in the spectrum of time, we are only here a very short time.

 

What is my purpose in life?

 

You can not figure this out until you know who you are.

WHO AM I?

Are we teaching our children this important lesson? Shima on many occasions told me to teach the children who they are, so that they may gather strength in their identity. When they know the clans or relations of their parents and grandparents, they will understand the direction their family is going .They need this for times in their lives when they will face hardship (pain is a part of life. no getting around that.) As a child and into adulthood I often heard her tell stories of hardships that my family went through, she was raised by my great grandmother who lived during the 1800's. Mom often told stories of war times when our people faced starvation, kidnappings, and enemy tribes leading raiding parties against us. Not to scare us but to teach us the history of our people.  She would also stories of happy events, times of celebrations, First Laugh, kinaalda ceremonies. She told these stories so that we were aware of the sacrifices, strengths, and endurance of our ancestors. She was teaching us her memories of them. Knowing and teaching who you are and your purpose in life.... is the greatest gift you can give your children.

 

We live in a world filled with tormented people who don't know these things so their lives show no direction. Let us not allow this to happen to our children!

I am a Tohani (Near Water) woman born for the Tobaha (Edgewater) clan, my maternal grandparent is Bitahnii (Folded Arms), and my paternal grandparent is Kinyaanii (Towering House.) 


I am “na hooka diyin dine” a "Holy Sacred Child on Mother Earth" this is what I was taught by my mother.  

© 2011 Jaweena...Eileen Quintana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like you had a wise mom! Love the story you told!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your family has great wisdom. I feel the truth of your words. To know who we are and to have a purpose is more important than most people know. So many of us have forgotten. This is a powerful story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful, as ever. Thank you for sharing these precious words. I have always admired your pride in your heritage. So glad you are teaching your Children and Grandchildren.
AheeHee'

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your Grandmother was a wise and kind woman. People who see the land as life. They are the real people with true vision. We live in a world that don't respect the green earth, the water and the sky. We need all three to be healthy for all the animals of this planet. It is too late for many. I tell anyone who will listen. When the animals are gone. Man will be next. I pray for logic and common sense. The story is powerful and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thank you for sharing this and thank you for being you ~ my parents didn't teach me about the spirit , but once I found one , I found the rest . in that i found humility and respect .

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

792 Views
6 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 23, 2011
Last Updated on March 23, 2011

Author

Jaweena...Eileen Quintana
Jaweena...Eileen Quintana

UT



About
"Ya'at'eeh" means hello in the Navajo language. My name is Eileen Quintana....Jaweena was a name that my brother called me when I was a baby. I am learning how to write about my unique perspective.. more..

Writing