Border

Border

A Story by Jay Dean

Border

A rumbling of thunder woke Saul from his restless sleep, he opened his eyes to a blanket of stars in the darkness of the early morning break. The laudenum had worn off, and the aches and pains began to remind him of his illness he had not yet overcome. Sam, his horse looked at Saul with a half dazed expression, perplexed by his slowness to move and uncanny like manner. Saul tried to utter a "hello" but was too parched to say the word, instead he gestured a nod to his companion. Saul reached for his canteen, eager to gulp the stale river water he gathered from a river along the trail many days ago. Saul and Sam were lucky to of rested as long as they had while nestled next to a calm campfire with gold embers and gracious heat that acted like a guardian to all that was bad, it was hard to return the long cold trail. Saul was on the run, accused of robbing the silver city stage, and worse off, he is on the run from the pinkertons, He came across news of the Pinkerton's hunt for him while traveling through Pecos and read the headline "Wanted, Dead or Alive" sought with full bounty by the Pinkertons. Little did Saul know he was only being chased by three pinkertons, two that were twin brothers named Gerald and James, trackers by trade, although together they were only half as good as a half decent tracker and a third named Claude, a master dead shot with a revolver, but lacked the intellect to put his magnificent skills to proper use. Captain Knotts assigned the three incompetents to the task as a demand from Mr. Pinkerton himself to fulfill a request by a lady friend. This was a great opportunity to rid the dead weight from the Pinkerton's force as they could pursue more important matters, and at the same time it would please Mr. Pinkerton. The three incompetents did not work well together, and the two brothers did not trust Claude, as well Claude did not trust the brothers. Gerald and James have never been able to make a decision they both agree upon and by the time they find a solution, it usually had spun into a new problem all together. Saul figured he had about half a days lead over what he thought was a full on search party from the large Pinkerton search party but time was growing shorter due to his long rest and it was time to move.

Sam's hooves blaze through the trail kicking dust into the golden sunset, Saul held tight anxious to get to the border, and freedom.

Hours later along the trail Saul came across a broken down wagon and a young pretty lady crying in distress, behind her showed a figure trying to hide behind a tree., As soon as Saul could figure out what was happening, a man jumped out with his pistol drawn and aimed it at Saul. It was Paris Pete! who is known for accidentally shooting a stanger through an outhouse peephole while in a shooting match with another cowboy he called out to a draw. Paris Pete had had his story posted in every paper clear up to New Amsterdam that he was a wanted man for his ridiculous crime, although the story was famous for reader entertainment, not so much public awareness. Paris Pete instantly recognized Saul because he read about him on the front page before reading about himself on the second page, and he knew, Saul was much more wanted than himself. Paris Pete realized Saul is more dangerous to rob then to leave be, because by robbing Saul and leaving him without supplies it would draw the Pinkertons right to him By saying who robbed him. Paris aimed his gun at Saul and said "Saul, you go south now' and don't turn back". "I thought you were going to rob me" said Saul. "If you do not go south as fast as you can this very second I will shoot you dead in your tracks". Saul agreed and said nice to meet you Paris Pete, and tipped his hat to his lady friend. The lady returned a in-genuine courtsey. Saul and Sam rode south, determined to now finally hit the border.


Meanwhile the Pinkertons were closing in on Saul and Sam but took a wrong turn on the trail and could no longer track the distinct footprints of Sam. They arrived at a bluff made of thick lush grass and thorny stickers and all three came to a stop. The three stood silent as a gust of wind sang through their empty canteens as they finished their water. High up, a hawk circled over as a vouyer to the three incompetents standing dumbfounded. Gerald turned to James and said "Remember that time in Topeka and you couldn't track that Cheyenne, we'll I will let you make it up to me here, now you tell me, where do we go?" James said oh and what about that time in Salt Spring where you couldn't track that horse thief that left a trail like a wagon on sand. Claude said "will you two make up your mind?" Both brothers turned to Claude and said in unison you be quiet grunt. Suddenly out of frustration Claude drew his weapon toward the brothers and said watch this, the brothers hesitated in fear then Claude suddenly pointed the gun to the sky at the hawk hovering over them and shot it square in the beak! The hawk fell right at the feet of the two brothers and Claude grinned. Claude said "Now pick a path and let's go" James said lets move southeast... and the three carried on.

A few hours down the trail they came across Paris Pete and his lady accomplice but Pete was caught off guard to set them up and quickly exclaimed "Don't shoot! Let us go I will tell you where Saul went!" The three set out on the trail laid out by Paris Pete


Saul and Sam arrived at the outskirts of Pharr,Texas, and came to a watering hole fed by a natural spring, a fresh start was nearby in Mexico and Saul jumped in to cool off before the final push to the border and freedom. Sam's long neck sank into the spring and drank,drank and kept on dranking after being incredibly parched on the long trail. Saul was in a complete bliss in the spring and lost track of time and paying no attention to the world around him. Just then Sam decided to look up from his long drink to find the three pinkertons standing in disbelief they found their hunt. Sam yelled an exasperated warning to Saul! but Saul was defenseless in the water and his colt was on the far side of the pond. The two brothers said wEWe eee we got you now! "Get out of the water geek, we're gonna have some fun" Saul refused. The two brothers fired into the pond barley missing Saul, Sam yelled in fear and kicked his legs high in the air. The brothers both raised their pistols and aimed at Saul for their final shots to finish the job, when all of the sudden the sound of a revolver clicked behind the two brothers. "Now you two put your guns down nice and slow and things won't get messy" said Claude. "What the hell are you doing CLAUDE!" Said Gerald "Starting Over and Heading clear up to Canada" said Claude. "We will find you before you ever make it" said Gerald "You idiot, he is going to Mexico!" Said James. Saul laughed and even Sam could sense the flaws of humaneness at play. Claude pointed his gun at Saul and said tie them up and write "untie me tomorrow" on this paper here and put it above their heads.


Claude points his gun at tells Saul and tells him to get on his horse. Claude then reaches up tie Saul's hands together. Claude hopped on his horse and attached a rope to Sam's neck so he can be pulled along. We are almost to Mexico, and when we get there, I will untie you. If I am stopped by other Pinkertons I have to at least look like I captured you. "But we're going in the wrong direction, it won't matter" said Saul. Claude remained silent.

Claude, Saul and Sam arrived at the border of Mexico just as the sun turned red setting into the canyon. Claude untied and released Saul and Sam as they arrived into a small village named Jalisco that looked beautiful in the reflection of the fires set outside with the moonlight casting a white light . "Welcome to freedom! Your free to go! "Thank you" said Saul. "Where are you going to next" said Claude. "This is it, I have found peace" said Saul.

A day later a traveler came across Gerald and James and untied them and brought them to the nearest telegram station and received a note that read "Find Paris Pete" - Mr.Pinkerton.






















© 2015 Jay Dean


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
Added on March 4, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2015
Tags: Border western humor simplicity

Author

Jay Dean
Jay Dean

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jay Dean


The Garden The Garden

A Book by Jay Dean


The Island The Island

A Story by Jay Dean