Opening paragraph for a writing competition

Opening paragraph for a writing competition

A Story by Jazz
"

This is for a competition being run by a UK newspaper. The object is to write the opening paragraph to a story in 50-150 words. It also has to include the word 'row'. I set this in the Victorian era!

"

I stood at the window, my hand anxiously clenched and held against my breast. The moon bathed the driveway in a milky white light. All was silent and nothing stirred. The occupants of the manor in which I stood rested safe in the arms of sleep in the many bed chambers surrounding my own. His arrival was imminent. I nervously adjusted my bonnet and pulled my thin lace shawl tighter around myself, my gaze not once straying from the driveway. The final row I was to ever have with my father had taken place the afternoon previous. Now here I stood, with only a small satchel stuffed with food snatched from the kitchen to my name, awaiting my destiny, my love…my life.

© 2011 Jazz


Author's Note

Jazz
I might carry on with this story when I get more time. Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful reviews on all my work. I will return the love very soon. I'm in the process of moving away from home for the first time and everything's been so hetic!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good start, had the feel of the era down and there was some very good description. I think you should carry on with it....just sayin'.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 1, 2011
Last Updated on September 1, 2011

Author

Jazz
Jazz

Lincoln, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Hello! My name's Jazz. I'm 19 and I'm studying English Literature and Creative Writing at university. I mainly write poetry and short stories. I'm influenced by writers such as Emily Bronte, Charl.. more..

Writing
Crow Crow

A Poem by Jazz


Opposites Unite Opposites Unite

A Poem by Jazz