Twelve Steps

Twelve Steps

A Poem by Robert Luna
"

This is inspired by a piece i read from Raven about an addict. I hope you enjoy

"
I�m a broken promise
you could never keep
All your shattered dreams
You can�t see slip through your hands
Self narcissistic it would seem

I'm broken,
All my pieces scattered
for you to see
But I'm all you need
Fist of concrete
and blacktop for my feet
City streets all fast to sleep
Still hearing my heart beat

Near forgotten whispers
still haunt your thoughts
Handed out my love and hugs
in the form of 45 slugs
Sleepin on dirty cardboard
Laying lilies at my feet
calling me your personal Jesus
lost messiah
back alley Prophet
Out for my own profit
Twelve steps behind you
Never able to escape your past

You were so beautiful
so beautiful� once
Look what I have done to you
Could�ve had the world on a string
Until I got my fingers into your veins
But nothing left of who you were
Living the life of twenty dollar w***e
Looking for your next high
Screaming out as you cry

I am broken
I am the lie that took your life
I have no pity, nor sympathy
So close your eyes
I was all you ever need

Photobucket

Another Round
A Poem by Raven

© 2008 Robert Luna


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Having dealt with this battle myself and the on going struggle I face every day. I have a deeper appreciation for this. I have heard the quiet moans of that internal beast that hungers to destroy everything I have worked so hard to gain. Trust, love, forgiveness, and my life. I was using heroin, cocaine, and using booze to chase it all down with. I still have a hard time looking at my own face in the mirror knowing what I have done and wonder about the things I did that I can't remember. You truly captured that feeling I feel and know.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A great read Robert but you seem to have some verb confusion in the last sentence, "was all you ever needed" past tense or "am all you ever need" present tense, other than than that slight thing, a wonderful write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Robert, this is very well written...
I am humbled that my piece was part of your inspiration...
~*~blushes~*~
You have described the battle very well, your words flow through-out this piece. Very captivating indeed...You have a brilliant way of expressing love, loss and longing...
It is a pleasure to read your work and to know you as a friend...Thank you for your friendship and kindness
I have learned alot from you and look forward to reading more of your work...

"Twelve steps behind you
Never able to escape your past "

the whole poem captured me, but these lines have a deep meaning for me
thank you again
~*~ blushes ~*~


Have a wonderful day
love & light always






Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I have a friend who has some issues. That is what this poem reminds me of: Her... She has some problems in her life that she can't get away from, and has tried to quit several times. She's tried quitting it all at once, and now she's trying to quit gradually. Bravo with this poem! You made me feel for the person in the poem! You captured the right amount of emotion with this poem, and I congratulate you on your successful poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I believe we all have our vices in one form or another - this is so wonderfully and prophetically described. Quite a delight to read in its empathy. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is such a prevalent problem for the people afflicted with the addictions, of whatever types really, even those addictions that don't entail indulging substances - perhaps some way Psychosis and Emotional obscurity can contain people with similar consequences, but that's not meant to soften the impact conventional drug addiction has on humanity. It's tragic on many fronts. You have used language here that speaks almost silently of the inner turmoil of a mind 'Never able to escape your past '. I thought the Narrator was addressing herself; 'I was all you ever need ' but I may be wrong. It was quite profound for me to assume that anyway. It took me quite away from the Poem itself, although very temporarily. The assonance was compacted at times but this seem to empathize the conditions the subject was enduring. On the whole it was an emotive piece driving a wedge into ones awareness of such issues. It was written sensitively without detracting from the punch required by such a topic.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Fabulous my friend. You've nailed the emotion of addiction and all that goes with it. It's so heartbreaking that so many lose the battle and end up far worse than we have. It makes me sad for each and ever one. Your poem is beautiful, one of my faves now. Smiles ... you nailed it!

Sorry it took me so long to get here, this is the first time I've logged on lately.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Can I applaud you on yet another piece brilliantly written?

I just loved the angle you took with this. The way you crafted your words were simply amazing, turning this into almost a "love" letter from the character's addiction, but come to think of it, anything that is a addiction is like a love relationship but the fact remains anything that's addictive can't be good for you. (Does that make sense at all?)
You did a marvelous job in portraying that cruel reality to the world, without sugarcoating

So for my question, no applause, I am giving you a standing ovation

Btw: Loved the pic, worked perfectly with the poem

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chilling....

Loss, agony, heartbreak, desparation, destitution, prostitution....it's all there...everything that squeezes the hope right out of a life manacled, mangled, stangled, stunted....

It's so very hard to get free. Not impossible, but very, very hard....

Thanks for the read request, as always.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That is beautifully written and the message within the poem is so powerful. I was once an alcoholic so this just speaks volumes to me.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

another psychological experience. You never stop watching into yourself, do you ? thanks for sending it to me. I like your courage how you write again and again.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

935 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 7, 2008
Last Updated on May 7, 2008

Author

Robert Luna
Robert Luna

Somewhere between here and there



About
My name is Robert. I write therefore I feel I am. My words come from my heart, soul, and mind. I write what I feel and see, life is my inspiration. Life itself is art in its purest form. There is noth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..