In Mourning

In Mourning

A Poem by JenY.
"

A poem for my sister, Marj, who passed away on March 31st, 2013.

"
As I feel the faint vibration from the alarm on my phone,
my eyes flutter as they try to adjust to the morning sun
shining through the window blinds.
I realize my reality, close my eyes again so that I could lay here
a bit longer and replay memories of you in my head over and over again.

I smile as I remember how as children, you would take
my hand and guide me on our many daily adventures.
Your fearlessness combined with my apprehensiveness
made us a force to be reckoned with.
As we grew older, our dynamic never waned.
We went from playing with Barbie dolls and making mud pies
to playing out parts from our favorite movies and teasing mercilessly.
Your humor was infectious and had a way of brightening my day.

As your illness invaded your body and you became weaker,
I wanted to fall to pieces so many times but you wouldn't let me.
The light in your eyes still shone bright and beautiful.
I recognized that familiar fearlessness as death knocked on your door.
You said "I'll be okay. I'm going to be with our other family" as you started
your grandest adventure of all...the journey home to the Spirit world. 

I open my eyes again and glance around, hoping to see a glimpse of you so that I 
can run to you, hug you tightly while laughing with joy as we did when we were children.
My heart sinks when I realize that you are not coming back.
A lump forms in my throat and tears spill onto my pillow as sadness overwhelms me. 
It's been three months and three days.

I miss you, Sister...always and forevermore.

 

© 2013 JenY.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nizhoni! Love - that you are writing about your experience! Great tribute to a great woman!
Welcome to Writerscafe!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I can see by your words that your sister's memories shall always be a part of you. Celebrate in knowing that her spark left something of happiness behind. Even though we all have people who walk the journey before us, they are always with us in their deeds and actions and the heart that they gave into the world. I'm sure that she has seen your words and is smiling at the bright heart of a sister who still has more of the great journey to continue upon.

A wonderful tribute to a loved one. Thanks for sharing. Hope and light.
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sorry for the loss. A great tribute...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2013
Last Updated on August 3, 2013

Author

JenY.
JenY.

Flagstaff, AZ



About
I'm a 39 year old Navajo (Dine) woman from Flagstaff, Arizona but am originally from Dennehotso, AZ. I'm an amateur when it comes to writing poems but I have always enjoyed reading them. more..