Alive

Alive

A Poem by Jennifer Elizabeth
"

Something I wrote due to addiction. I've recently become sober and I want others to know they aren't alone and things do get better. Remember your self worth.

"
"Describe it, you know, what it feels like to be alive; truly alive from the core of your soul. To be content and smile just because, to walk outside and see the beauty of the day no matter the weather. Can you? I'm not sure how many people can, but I know that feeling is possible and from this day on I will pour my heart to achieve it. There comes a time when trying to numb yourself from pain ends up hurting you, the numbness fades and you are basically an empty shell, skin and bones, hurting a thousand times more than how u felt the beginning. It's like being a newborn, you're naked, your thoughts aren't clear and your brain hasn't developed, but this time mom isn't there to reach you, dad isn't there to teach you. They already drove away and burned the bridge they crossed to leave you. At this point you have to make a choice. You can cry like a baby, stay alone, malnourished, unloved and die or you can chose to learn and to grow. You can always rebuild a bridge if you have the right tools. Although I'm just learning to crawl, I will end up sprinting and I'll never stop learning. Those bridges will no longer be burning. So, like I asked "what does it feel like to be truly alive?" I'll be sure to let you know after I try and survive."

© 2014 Jennifer Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really good. The format reads more like a journal than a poem, but this is a really good read. It makes you think, as well as being relatable.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 5, 2014
Last Updated on April 5, 2014
Tags: addiction, love, heart, inspirational, drugs, hurt, life