Lonely, she sits

Lonely, she sits

A Story by Jennifer piche
"

A short story that follows a girl with depression and suicidal thoughts.

"

Lonely, she sits: a short story written by Jennifer Piche

 

Grade eight

Lonely, she sits. She thinks about the future. *Dreams* about the future. You can see it as you pass her by in the cafeteria, filled with her grade eight classmates, and younger, annoying grade sevens and sixes. You can see the potential she has. See her eyes looking far from the dull walls around her. Not just the walls of the rooms she remains seated in, but the walls that block her from proving her worth. Proving why she was meant to be born. Born for greatness.

But no one will ever see how bright she really is, as she shines like a star. Because those who block her light from shining are not focused on education and such, but focused on popularity, and seeming cool in front of “friends”. She is the only one that sees what no one else has realized. They have no future. The future is now, and they are wasting it. “Middle school doesn’t matter.” They seem to think. But it does. She knows. She knows where her fellow students will end up in twenty or so years.

 

 

Grade ten

Lonely, she sits on the cold, stone floor in the bathroom, now crowded with seniors applying and re-applying their makeup. “Loser.” One mutters, followed by a giggle from both her and her friends. The pretty one crouches before her. “Lucy. That’s your name, right?” she smiles maniacally. Lucy nods her head before taking a bite in her granola bar. “Look at me!” the girl snatches the tasty granola bar from Lucy’s hands and throws it against the wall, gaining every ones attention. “You better get out of here before I hurt you.” She whispers the last three words softly, so the other girls don’t hear. A single tear rolls down Lucy’s cheek. This is not the first time she has experienced this situation. And she knew it would not be her last. So before she gets whatever punishment the group of girls would do to her, she leaves the washroom, for she knows to never not take a mad, popular girls threats seriously.

Lucy runs to her homeroom. 15 minutes until class. She dares to look back, as she was afraid someone she passed would notice the many tears that she let form and go.

In the classroom, she finds her familiar desk and sits down. In front of her was the chalk board that still had her complicated and completed math equation (that no one else had the brain to answer) from her previous class. The classroom was a place of peace for her. No one but her would ever be here. No one could ever block her shine here.

“It’ll be over soon.” She reassures herself. The four words she has said so many times in high school. “High school is only four years, two more to go.” She winced as she thought of two more years she must endure of torture.

Grade twelve

Lonely, she sits on the uncomfortable cafeteria chairs. The past year she gathered the courage to step foot in an area like this. An area full of mean girls. Since her first years of high school, it’s only gotten worse.

As people pass by, nobody bothers to look at her. At her light that shined, the shine that dimmed so much since middle school. Nobody cares how much potential she has anymore. She isn’t noticed. Because no one seems to care. She chose not to be in the spotlight. She prefers the darkness, where no one can judge or hurt her. “It’ll be over soon.” She says for the final time, for she remained in this “hell” for only one more hour. One more hour. The past four years were worthless, she thinks. There’s no point in college or university. And yet they weren’t. She had gotten accepted to every university she applied to. They don’t specialize in beauty or popularity, they specialize in education. Her light can finally shine. Her parents, who love her deeply, always saw it. Saw what she was capable of. But Lucy, herself, did not.

Lucy chose to let those around her, who bullied and tortured her for what felt like forever, end it all. End everything she could have done. Her hopes and dreams since she was little, shattered and irrelevant. She chose the easier path, the path so far that was rocky and dark, but soon became bright and amazing. Lucy could’ve benefitted to the world. Show everyone what she has really been capable of being for the past years. Instead, she passed her pain and sadness on to someone else, her parents.

Lucy committed suicide. 

© 2016 Jennifer piche


Author's Note

Jennifer piche
I want to know if this story is good enough to enter in a provincial contest. Please point out spelling and grammar mistakes and anything I should fix.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on October 6, 2016
Last Updated on October 6, 2016
Tags: shortstory, depression, suicide, realistic, story, sadness, education

Author