One Each

One Each

A Poem by Jenny Davis

ONE EACH




Father, wash it all away

Cry for humanity's return...

One drop for me,

One each for my family,

One each for my friends.


Flood the lines of confusion

Clear a path for new beginnings...

One path for me,

One each for my family,

One each for my friends.


Let a rainbow reflect our errors

Show us the truth in color...

One color for me,

One each for my family,

One each for my friends.


© 2008 Jenny Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colours and metaphorically can symbolise the multifaceted character and nature of humanity. I love work like this, because it makes the reader think and reflect. The rainbow has a place in legend owing to its beauty and the historical difficulty in explaining the phenomenon.

In Greek mythology, it was considered to be a path made by a messenger (Iris) between Earth and Heaven. In Chinese mythology, it was a slit in the sky sealed by Goddess N�wa using stones of five different colours. In Hindu mythology, it is called Indradhanush, meaning the bow of Indra, the God of lightning and thunder. In Norse Mythology, it was called the Bifr�st Bridge connecting the realms of �sgard and Midgard, homes of the gods and humans, respectively. The Irish leprechaun's secret hiding place for his pot of gold is usually said to be at the end of the rainbow. And, In the Biblical Canon of Christian and Jewish scripture, the rainbow is explicitly stated as a sign of the Noahic Covenant between God and The Creation, and the biblical God's promise to Noah that never again would The World be purified by The Deluge (Genesis 9.13-15)

Excellent example of poetical homage; soundly composed and structured. Well done!

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Noah never knew rain like this... I once wrote. I love the poetic metaphor of Noah and the flood. You apply it here beautifully. You don't even mention him. LOL It just felt implied to me. Really beautiful... even if I did put too much of my own interpretation on it than you meant. LOL A message of hope shines brightly into the world.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is quite pretty. The New Year is always a great time for "new beginnings". :-) It's right around the corner too.
My favorite line would have to be "Cry for humanity's return" It's difficult to convey the feelings of where a rather large portion of humans have become rather inhuman in their behaviors and traits. The way you present the poem though, you show your own self-lessness by including your friends and family.

Great picture too, it suits the poem. Take care!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Reminded me of the dry weather in the south, what I've done by linkin park and just what a rainbow can mean. So many things go into the forming of a rainbow, and I think it is a good symbol of the vast diversity of life. I really liked how you tied it into the piece and spoke of absolving errors and new beginnings. Terrific piece.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A poem like this stays more beautiful, the less people say.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

this is so beautiful... Loved it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A lovely thought for the rainbow. Thank you for sharing . debileah

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

very insightful and creative. i love the imagery you create with your words and the message you are sending. great job! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a very positive poem with a good metaphor throughout the poem. I loved how the rainbow represented strength in getting through this world's obstacles and hardships. Plus, I like how it represented a prayer, and how you were wishing for the best of the ones you care about dearly.

Nice job. I enjoyed this and the metaphor in this poem is quite good.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well this is both melancholy and hopeful, sort of like a hymn in structure with the repetitive refrain. Here there is a deeper meaning in the colours of the rainbow, almost a political statement, about the need for peace and harmony in a world gone awry. Well done. Cheers! Rob

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

After the day i have had today, this is a most refreshing and revitalising piece to read. The elusive clarity we all desire but so few of us find. I think we over complicate life instead of taking a step back, simplifying what we see and aknowledging there is something far greater than us. Much enjoyed...thank you. Julian:)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
26 Reviews
Added on February 13, 2008
Last Updated on February 24, 2008

Author

Jenny Davis
Jenny Davis

NY



About
Next Vent Radio poetry show: Sept. 12th, 9PM EST! Be there or be sorry you weren't...haha ;) Join Group Vent Radio Home Page Check out the show: Latest works that I have read and loved: IMM.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..