Adrenaline Inc.

Adrenaline Inc.

A Story by Jerome Vande Velde
"

I don't want to describe my story. it might ruin it a bit.

"

Adrenaline Inc.

I have 1.6 seconds before the Car crashes. The seat belt is not on and there is no way avoid the collision. Time moves 4 times faster in my head and I am trained to do this. My Right foot pushed the break with all I got. My left hand reaches to the Belt, My right hand gives a serious notch to the wheel, Then my right hand takes then over the seatbelt to move it toward it's lock. the car has Turned about half way around itself and I can feel myself pushed inside the seat.  I hear a click, the belt is fastened, I put my left hand on my knee to avoid breaking it. my right hand tries to reach the key so I can turn off the motor, but it's too late, I can hear the back of the car being bended in the collision with that wall. the speed indicated 98km/h. I just don't get to turn of the motor off. There is a White bright light and a big buzzing loud noise.

It's over, the driver didn't make it. me, I'm back behind my desk. all I can think of is f**k!

Antonio had to be there. "You didn't make it again did you?" I f*****g hate this guy.

"No Antonio, I did not. can't you read ?"

it was written there, 'Ms Lucia Benedict - Casualty."

The car took fire and exploded. She burned alive before anyone could make it.

"Jason!" - It was the Boss, "That's the Fourth person this week!, I want you in my office. NOW!"

I could Hear Jason chuckle. "Bye bye Jason, see you never again". could this guy be more of a d****e?

I knew this wasn't gone be good. But what could I do?

Inside His office, Marcus was standing behind his desk like a mafia villain staring at the screen on the wall. His hand together behind his back. He was clearly trying to intimidate me.

"you seem to be letting go Jason." He said .

"I'm sorry Marc." I've been having particularly difficult cases this week.

"You think so?" he asked. was he seriously asking me this?

"pretty sure yeah?" I said," 120km/h straight on a wall, 1.6 seconds to do anything? You call this easy?"

"But she didn't make it. Think about the Three kids who don't have a mother anymore. "

How does he even know she had Three kids? the bureau of last moments didn't gave us that information.

"She wouldn't have died If the fireman arrived faster, " I said.

"That's no concern off yours he said."

wasn't it? because I'm the one getting in trouble now.

" I don't know what to do with you, you have a serious lack off skills." - Marc

I just didn't know what to say, this was just such a big load off crap!

but then it daunted on me, 0.9 seconds to put on the seatbelt. it was written there in big in front of him.  That's a f*****g record since Jennifer left us.

I had to point it out off course.

"I'm gone give you a last chance." he said. Who give a last chance to a guy who just broke a second. I should have a promotion! I've been waiting 3 years already to get my own team.

"as we are talking I have a case that just came in seconds before you entered." - Marc

"What is it?" I asked

it was a men aged 74. driving on the high way and falling asleep. He drove through the rail and is about to fall of the bridge.

" I can give you an acceleration of 6. " he said, but we both know I was fucked. Who saves a man falling from a bridge.

"there is a kid next to him" - he said.

"I got it" - I said.

As I was walking toward my boot it daunted on me. He could have saved this guy right before he hit the rail, but he waited, so he could get me fired if I didn't save him.

I couldn't wait, I had to start now before I lost control again,

I sat on my seat. placed right leg a bit on the side , My left hand was on my left leg, turned up and the right hand was holding the bottom of the wheel.

Lea placed adrenaline in his system from her computer,  "6 times?" she asked me. I looked at her shaking my head just enough to say yes. "They really want you gone don't they?"

 "Can we just do this?" I said.

she pressed the button, it was about to start.

The back left well was on  the bridge, the front left one just passed the border, I could hear the poor kid next to me scream like he knew it was the end.

there was no way to get this car back on the bridge, but I could see a river down me.

the kid didn't had his seatbelt on. Why don't they never have their seatbelt on? honestly?!

It was a 4x4,  I had about 0.4 seconds of control, the river was about 30 meters below, that would make a 2 second fall. or 12 as I would perceive it.

I had an Idea, but it was a long shot.

I put my foot on the break, but not completely. the car would start to rotate as the break only worked from the left. the right one was floating in the air. the kid stopped screaming, Fear must have taken over.

0.4 seconds, or 2.4 to me I could feel me being weightless. I stretched my right arm to grab the seatbelt of the kid, as my left one would press the button to open the windows. I punched the kid in the face accidently. but I continued. I felt so slow, I could hear the windows open, so I pushed of my left leg to bridge the distance to get that belt.

I had it. 1.4 seconds until I hit the water.

I knew I couldn't make it in the lock on time because of the armrest.

So I put it around it. it would get stuck around it enough to matter.

but then I noticed that the windows stopped opening. F**k!

I have 1.1 seconds left.  nothing I can do,  I putted my hand on my knees.

no need to turn of the motor, it's gone flood.

F**k! they are gone drawn!

Contact.

I could feel the back of my seat crush me. my hand slided from my knees into the seat.

I wouldn't break them,  so that was good.

I could hear the Kid next to me exhale as his long was collapsing on itself. S**t!

the car was on a standstill, slowly sinking. I made it!, I couldn't believe myself. but the kid got knocked out. then I saw there was no head-support. He just got whiplashed.

It wasn't over, I could feel me get pulled out, but I had to resist, I couldn't stop now or they would die. I took my right hand and undid myself and the kid as I pulled my legs out over the seat and the depleting airbag. I pushed at the top of the middle of the front window, that had a big crack all over it.  as hard as I could, the water was already seeping in.

The windshield gave right before the water would start pressing on it.

but the car was filling even faster now, I shook the kid, no response, I felt his heartbeat, it was weak.

the car was gone get filled in a few moments, I got on my seat, bended not to hit the roof, take a bread and I took the kid's arm, and as soon as the car was full, the water would stop flowing and  pushed myself out, straight to the top,  I swam as hard as I could to the surface, but the kid was holding me back.

it felt like an eternity.

but right before I started to weaken, I hit the surface, and I took a deep breath,

The company was still trying to get me back. but not before I took the kid over me, and started to swim belly up to the side of the water, the current was weak, I know they would make it. so I let go of myself, and a white light ,and a buzzer later, I was back at the headquarters.

Lea was looking at me with unbelief.

"What did I do?" I asked.

"You are so lucky mate" - Antonio

"F**k off, don't you have work to do?" - I couldn't resist. I felt good about myself.

"I do, unlike you soon" - Antonio

I was about to explode, this guy was gone get what he deserved: My fist in his face.

"You broke protocol" - Lea before I even could do anything.

I looked at her, "what?" I asked.

"you didn't came back after the he stopped panicking." -she said.

"This guy is in water about to drown and he is not panicking?" - me.

"I tried to pull you back, but you resisted" - Lea

Then it fell on me. she did.

I looked at the screen in front of me. it had turned red.

The person I tried to safe got aware of my present.

A big alarm started to sound over the office. everybody got up and looked around trying to find who broke protocol. it didn't take them long before they realised it was me.

soon, one by one they all got closer.

"He is so fucked, it's always him right? I hope he's gone get fired."

Shivers went through my body as I heard Antonio say that to someone.

"JASON!" - Antonio was saved by the bell again as the Boss yelled my name from the other side of the office. He was furious. I had never felt that little.

"JASON!" - I could hear him come closer. people where moving aside to let him come closer.

"You complete idiot, I gave you your last chance, and you decided to break protocol?"

"Do you realise I am gone have to explain that to above?" He was pointing to the roof for some reason. and to top it all off, we work on the last floor.

I had a smile on my face for a fraction off a second.

"why is he in trouble?"-  I heard someone say, but it wasn't loud enough and nobody paid attention anyways.

"You are so fired." - Jason again

the boss was looking at him, almost smiling, "Oh! he must certainly is!"

The bosses phone started to ring.

Those two are so doing each other I thought to myself. why are they so happy about this?

"Uhu" , "Yeah", "Yes" , ...

he wasn't even saying anything, whoever he had on the line, this was not good.

after a moment he hanged up, looked at me and said "To my office, now!"

not even yelling at me. just calmly. what had happened?

I got up, walked over to the other side of the hall as I could feel everybody staring at me.

the silence was painful, all I could do was look at the floor. it was just a few meters, but it felt like an eternity.

I got out of the hall, into the corridor. turned right and went into the door right at the end of it.

The boss was right behind me as I walked in.

There was a man, sitting in the couches on my left. Black suit. neat as f**k. Asian ethnicity.

He stood up, fastened a button from the jacket of his suit.

"Jason Peterman?" - he asked looking at me.

I had so many questions in my head my voice decided to pitch as I answered "yes"

This man was quit tall. very dark hear, and pale green eyes.

He took his hand out. and said: "Matthew Blackman,  Department of internal affairs"

I took his hand and shook it, I had never felt so weak.

"Nice to meet you." I said, with a normal voice this time.

"I heard that you have had quit an interesting weak" - Blackman

I didn't know what to say but that seemed ok to him, he wasn't expecting an aswer as he walked toward the office desk to pick up a piece of paper.

"How did you got in here so fast?" - the boss

no answer. how did he actually?

The man leaned on the desk and read the paper as I was still standing in the middle of the room.

"Sir?" the boss tried again.

"Jason!" he said my name after he looked up at me, but then he paused and turned his attention to the boss.

"I'm sorry, Can we have a moment alone?" - He was looking him straight in the eyes with a look on his face that made you not want to disappoint him.

"Sure." the boss said, after he flinched.

He walked out of the office, and that left me alone with the guy.

frankly, he was so intimidating that I got scared.

"Let's sit down" He said looking at me but with his hand flat pointing toward the two couches .

"Sure" I said. after I looked at his hand to see where he was pointing to.

I sat on the couch with the wall in my back. hands on my knees, unsure how to hold myself.

he went to stand on the other side off the table, undid the button, and sat down in front of me.

he crossed his leg, and started to look at the paper again.

"I heard that you killed four people this week." - he said.

"Well, I didn't really kill them, you see..." I tried to reply but not only did I not know what to say ofter that, he continued,

"And you broke protocol, making an old man aware that when he panics, there is someone else taking over his body"

I just didn't know what to say to that. I did break the protocol, but I saved him by doing so.

He leaned forward and looked me straight in the eyes and said: "But you saved him by doing so..."

 I had a crop in my throat.

Suddenly, there was another voice in the room. " C'mon, Matthew, He couldn't have saved them. you know that."

there was a man sitting on the chair of the boss, his back to us.

He slowly turned around. too dramatic to not be on purpose., he had a lollipop in his mouth.

Mr Blackman didn't  react to anything.

How did he got there, he wasn't there when we came in, and He didn't walked in, I would have seen him.

"Mr Xavier Blackman" said the Blackman. the man in front of me.

"Blackman and Blackman" said the guy from the other side of the room.

He was Looked just the same, from a minor amount of diferences., he was even holding himself the same way.

"I don't know what to do with this man" said Matthew.

"Bullshit, we know before we came in." - Xavier

"Yeah, yeah yeah..." - Matthew.

I was stunned, paralysed by the impossibility of this situation.

"Here at Adrenaline incorporated we handle people from the real world who are in dire straits to save them from themselves. we take over from where they mismanage their situation to try and save them from certain death." Xavier said that looking at the corner of the room.

He paused and looked at me. " But you know that don't you?"

"you know that reflexes don't exist, reflexes are just someone taking over your body."

He looked at me trying to enlighten a baby as he said that. but I was to preoccupied to try to understand how he f*****g got into the room!

"Don't handle him like a baby" said Matthew. " He's pretty good at what he does."

"Is he now?" asked Xavier.

Matthew turned around on his chair as much as he could to look at Xavier and said:

"His team here are specialised in car crashes"

Xavier looked away, as if he couldn't handle eye contact with Matthew.

Only right before he did I noticed his eyes. light blue, with a touch of silver?

Both man had such unrealistic eyes.

"I know" - said Xavier, almost annoyed by the statement.

My heart was beating trough my chess, My breathing was way too fast way to loud.

They both looked at me as if I was about to panic.

"Mister Peterman." Matthew was talking to me. "We have come on a special recommendation off an old friend of yours."

I went back in my chair. putted my hands on the arm rests.

The only Friend I can think off I ever had was Jennifer, but she is dead now.

"He think she is dead" said Xavier

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I had to swallow, but I couldn't get it trough. Was Jennifer alive? I would think normally think that this would be a joke, but those man seemed to serious, so convincing!

"It looks to us that your potential is wasted here, Perhaps a new job is in order?" - Matthew.

They had a point, nobody is gone miss me here,  the only person I can talk to is Lea, and she just got in  3 weeks ago, she will move on.

"He doesn't talk much" - Xavier

I had to say something, but all I could think of was "Sorry..."

Wait, Jennifer was alive?

"Marcus, your boss doesn't like you" said Matthew.

No s**t I thought to myself.

"Most Colleague are jealous about the progress inside the company you made until a few years ago."

he continued.

"And one person in particular has been very vocal about it."

"Yeah, Marcus and him are friends outside the workplace" - said Xavier to Matthew. but obviously meant for me as Matthew didn't react.

"We are here to offer you a new Job." he said again. "are you interested?"

"Sure" - I said, before knowing what it was.

Xavier made a move of disappointment in his chair.

"what is it about?" - I asked.

Xavier putted his hands in the air for a moment, as if his team just scored a goal.

"Special operations. Intervention in sports. only for the best." - Matthew.

"Isn't that against the rules, can't we only intervene in life threatening situations?" I asked.

"Obviously!" said Xavier, "It's top secret.", looking at the corner of the room again.

"Is this where Jennifer is?" I asked.

"You two are quit connected." - asked Matthew.

"I suppose we are." - I answered.

"If I told you that she needs your help, will you take the job?" - Matthew.

"I will sir, anything" - I said.

Matthew stood up, so I stood up too.

"Let's rejoin with Marcus" - He said.

He walked toward the door, before I fallowed I noticed the chair was empty now, and Mr Xavier was nowhere to be found. I tried to say something, but didn't even know what to say.

Matthew opened the door, and made sign to let me trough.

"We will be in contact." - He said as I walked through the door.

I turned my head over my shoulder as I was walking into the corridor to ask - "When?"

But before I could I noticed that he was gone already, just like Mr Xavier.

The boss was still waiting there right behind the door.

As I walked out, he tried to walk in, bumping into me as he did so.

"Mr Blackman?" He said before he entered the room.

but he froze when he noticed there was nobody there.

he turned and looked at me, and asked "Where is he?"

"I don't know," I said. "I'm going home."

Without even looking back I walked away.

I passed in front of the door leading into the hall and I could see Antonio looking at me

I had a stupid smile on my face, and obviously that frustrated him. The pleasure was mine, and I walked away.

 

© 2016 Jerome Vande Velde


Author's Note

Jerome Vande Velde
- This is the first time I wrote something, English is my 3rd language and I am terrible at grammar. I hope you can look besides that, and like my story non-the-less.
- I copy-pasted from Word. I hope this wont give to much problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I could use some comments about my writing style, personages and story/universe. please, go nuts.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Added on August 28, 2016
Last Updated on August 28, 2016
Tags: Adrenaline