Phantom Bridge (Part 2 of 3)

Phantom Bridge (Part 2 of 3)

A Story by Jerry Ables

The next day, Neal was at home having lunch when suddenly, he heard a knock at the door.  He answered it and much to his dismay, it was Lucinda's mother, but suddenly, it occurred to him that he could bid her wait in the living room while he went upstairs to get a necktie for strangling her to death so she'd never know that he killed her daughter, and also that he may never again have to hear her insults.  He had just seen his mother-in-law die when suddenly, he heard another knock at the door.  He opened the door and it was Lisa, who'd come to get her purse, which in the excitement of the night before, she'd forgotten at his house.  In a low and angry tone, she told him why she was there.  Neal took her in, took out that same necktie which he'd just used to strangle Lucinda's mother to death and with it, he dealt that same horrific fate to Lisa.

 

Late that night, Neal loaded the two murdered bodies to take them to the funeral home, where he would cremate them and dump their cremains in the river from off the Hammond Bridge to join those of his murdered wife, and once Neal had done that terrible task, he heard that same angry whisper from the night before telling him once again, 'You will pay...you will pay...you will pay'.  And once again, Neal looked around himself in terror and became enraged, screaming, 'You want to fight me?  Huh?  Just bring it on, you stupid punk!  Come on!  Bring it out right now!'  For a moment, he stood and waited, and then, he scoffed that the voice he was hearing wasn't so tough after all.  He got into his van to go home and get into bed.

 

Late one night, three weeks later, Neal was driving home and the same angry whisper had continued to torment him every time he'd crossed the Hammond Bridge.  Suddenly, there was coming a thunderstorm and his car broke down in the middle of crossing the Hammond Bridge.  He tried to get out to see what was wrong, but noticed his seat belt was jammed and became very nervous.  From out of his visor, he grabbed his cell phone to call for help when suddenly, he heard another angry whisper, and this time, it was saying to him, 'Your time has come...your time has come...your time has come'.   Furiously, he started to scream, 'I've had it with you' when suddenly, he looked in front of himself to see three ghostly figures looking at him with evil grins on their faces, as if they'd been craving their vengeance on him.

 

 

© 2009 Jerry Ables


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on October 4, 2009
Last Updated on December 8, 2009