Chatham

Chatham

A Story by Jessica Jaufmann
"

Flash piece written at Chatham Manor

"
I don't feel much else other than peace. The thin cloud cover brings out the natural elements that makes this place feel so deeply instinctive. Almost addictive. These grounds belong here; and the spirits own the grounds. Chatham Manor itself looks so comfortable in its place above the river. I'd really like to take engagement pictures here. The bell at the episcopal church will toll in about ten minutes, I wonder if I will hear it from all the way up here....
The sun will come out soon, masking the cold and the dark shadows Chatham has. The shadows that watch my every pen movement. The shadows that don't want to talk. And once the sun comes out, that feeling of being watched will go away. But I don't think that's a good thing. I think places like this should be shown for what they are. And this place is not happy and sunny and bright. It is a penumbra; icy and full of secrets. The trees are bare. The grass is dead. The gardens are full of thorns and plants to keep insects and animals away. And yet it all feels so indigenous. Like a castle frozen by a century winter, never to thaw. Its existence was before a time I couldn't even imagine living in. 
There are people having a meeting here and I wonder what for. Before the drop to the river, there is a large antique raft. They stand next to it. Why here and why so early? Although, some don't think that 9am is early. 
"Rapid, flexible, dynamic." I hear one of them say as they walk the steps from the gardens to the Manor. I sit in between, smiling at them as they carry out their work day. Four more minutes until the bell. That's just about all I'm waiting for at this point....
I hear it perfectly.
The sun is coming out and I fear the light will mask the spirits. They don't want to talk to me right now. I'll be on my way. 

© 2016 Jessica Jaufmann


Author's Note

Jessica Jaufmann
Flash piece, tear it up!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
Eerie, that's what I like! Nothing like an old house and someone in touch with those "things" that await inside.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jessica, this piece of writing sounds like a quick write completed in a short amount of time, so it is sporadic and choppy; however, it is chalk full of some excellent literary gems. Are you looking to develop this piece to a short story of sorts? this is a method for developing writing I was just acquainted to: you let someone else find gems in a quick write and you (the writer) develop details from them;
Gem 1: "These grounds belong here; and the spirits own the grounds"
Gem 2: "I hear it perfectly"
Gem 3: "The sun is coming out and I fear the light will mask the spirits"

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 15, 2016
Last Updated on November 17, 2016
Tags: ghost story, manor, mansion, river, rain day, writing weather

Author

Jessica Jaufmann
Jessica Jaufmann

VA



About
Published writer, aspiring author. Mom and wife! I hope you enjoy my writing! more..

Writing