Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

A Story by Jessyca Lynn

The icy chill on the tip of her nose woke her up slowly, whatever dream may have been on her subconscious moments before was gone not even twenty seconds after letting it go. It was still dark, she didn't think she'd wake up so early today.


Today.


She searched in the dark for her lamp and set it to the lowest level of light, not wanting to wake the person who still occupied her warm bed. After a silent scramble for pajamas and a nice warm sweater she checked the clock, a quarter after Midnight. So it had begun already.


She picked up her small blue phone in anticipation, not expecting much, but always hoping, for one sign of a message from a friend. She always made sure to send her friends messages just after midnight, even if she had to set an alarm to remember. There was nothing.


Nothing.


She tried to brush it off and turned on her computer, going to check her horoscope. Not something she did often, but just in hopes that it would cheer her up. After a quick Google search she found herself a nice little four sentence horoscope to brighten her day.


Don't let other people's insensitive actions dictate your mood today, Sagittarius. Your state of mind is your responsibility, and you should work to come to a point at which you have full control over what you feel at all times. If something isn't working out, let it go. This isn't a good time to try to stick a square peg in a round hole.”


She could feel a sudden happiness fill her chest, it was perfect, until she looked back to the top of the page and saw the date: December 4th. That's not today, today is the 5th day of this last month. Her feelings of being ironically celebrated today disappeared, she was nothing special.


Special.


Too down to even check today's horoscope she skipped on to the classic social-network websites, surely someone would be up this late that would at least mindlessly say something. Facebook always reminded people when there was a birthday, and she always said it to every little name that popped up next to that little red present. Empty as well, no new messages on Tumblr either.


Feeling defeated she grabbed the one thing that never failed to make her feel better, Harry Potter. A tradition she started 3 years ago. She watched Harry Potter all day long, typically by herself. Sure, the family took her out to dinner and her love was always exceptionally sweet on this day, but there's just something you get out of people you thought were your friends, that you show the kindness you want to receive, in just a simple “Happy Birthday.” She wasn't sure why it was such a big deal to her, it's been like this every year since Elementary school.


She sighed and settled in on the couch, Harry Potter was drawing a cake in the dirt, on the floor of a shack in the middle of nowhere. That's exactly how she felt. As he blew out the imaginary candles on the floor, his life changed. Hers remained the same though, and she lost all of her excitement, all of her will.


Will.


Not wanting to feel like this on her special day, her mark of two decades of life, she tried to remember that the people who love her, love her more than enough to make up for those individuals she'd met throughout her life who couldn't care less. Maybe something good will happen.


Happen.

© 2013 Jessyca Lynn


Author's Note

Jessyca Lynn
Version 2: Every ending of the paragraph now matches the final word. Yay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
@
Maybe today you'll see something good happen.
Even if it doesn't happen to you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was great, and very sad to read. 100% Rating from me.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 5, 2012
Last Updated on February 7, 2013
Tags: Happy Birthday, Birthday, Twenty
Previous Versions

Author

Jessyca Lynn
Jessyca Lynn

Logan, UT



About
I've always aspired to be able to live off of my writing, but with no real motivation and a love for video games, my chances look pretty grim. I'm working on it though, trying to rediscover my imag.. more..

Writing