Friendship

Friendship

A Story by Justin E
"

The true essence of friendship.

"

The two friends hiked the mountain’s face.


“Dude, remember that time when I asked you to come over, and we watched that movie with that really hot actress? What’s her name?” the one asked. 


“I don’t know, but, yeah, that was a good time,” the other responded. 


The one smiled, and each one of his strides had a pop to it. The other was smug faced; he strained as he put each foot in front of the other. 


“Wasn’t that concert the other night amazing?” the one asked. 


“Yeah, it was. Thanks for buying those tickets for my birthday,” the other replied. 


The one periodically turned around to see how the other was doing. The other distractedly peered at the ground. 


“By the way, how’s your mom doing? If you and her are struggling, I can cover your groceries again,” the one stated. 


“She’s okay, not much has changed. Actually, that would help us out a lot. Thanks,” the other said. 


The one chuckled as the destination became visible. The other grunted at the distance to the stopping place. 


“How about we go ride bikes tomorrow, if the weather is this nice again,” the one proposed. 


“I can’t. I have a lot of homework to do,” the other answered. 


The one inhaled at the view. The other sighed in relief. 


“Look at that view,” the one said. 


“Yep,” the other responded. 


The one tripped and went over the edge, but managed to grab the side of the mountain. The other walked toward the place where the one had fallen.  


“Help,” the one cried. 


“I can’t. I’m too tired,” the other said. 


The one lost his grip and fell. The other continued up the mountain’s face, and each one of his strides had a pop to it. 

© 2015 Justin E


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Reading the initial parts I felt the stark difference in the attitude of each of them, while the ending quite astounded me, i must agree. How would you like to explain "his strides had a pop to it", am not quite sure if my train of thought follows yours.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Justin E

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your comments. Although this is quite bleak, from my experiences in friendships, there.. read more
Justin E

8 Years Ago

Further, my intention was that "his strides had a pop to it" would elicit a sense of contentment, or.. read more
Aravindhan

8 Years Ago

Your explanation does throw light on the grey areas. The sudden change of circumstances while the "o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Added on December 7, 2015
Last Updated on December 7, 2015
Tags: flash fiction, fiction, story, friendship

Author

Justin E
Justin E

VA



About
I recently discovered my love for writing. I have always enjoyed being captivated and emotionally invested in a good story. My hope is to write stories that will captivate and emotionally move other r.. more..

Writing
Every Day Every Day

A Poem by Justin E