The Smiling Palor

The Smiling Palor

A Stage Play by Jhuang
"

A betrayed desparate middle-aged woman struggled between toleration and total collapse.

"

The Smiling Parlor

 

 

Characters

Ling                     A middle-aged woman from an upper middle-class family in southern China.

Mei                      Ling’s best friend. She has divorced with her husbands more than fifteen years’ ago.

Zhang Jian              A project manager in a construction company.

Feng                     The caretaker in Ling’s house.

The Old Man             Zhang Jian’ father and has been paralyzed in bed for two years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACT I

SCENE I

SETTING:      In a wide, neat and well-decorated parlor of a villa, one end of which has a stair that leads upstairs, two middle-aged women are sitting on the sofa and drinking tea. The style of the parlor is modern with polished glass-faced tea table and a large wall type TV hanging under the pale blue chandelier. Some architecture models of Chinese traditional style are on the shelf of the showcase beside the window and a Chinese landscape painting is on the wall.

AT RISE:        LING() is the hostess of the house. She is in her early 40s. Her age is leaked by her wrinkled face, even though covered by heavy make up. She wears a brown coat with small flowers and shows an air of nobility and refinement. Her guest, MEI (), is similarly dressed but does not has the tenderness that the hostess possesses. She has a long curly hair which flows smoothly down on the black silk scarf she wears on her shoulder. )

LING

I am lonely, never so lonely deep in my heart. It is that chilly loneliness which makes my teeth shudder.

MEI

Huh�"so�"

LING

It is your word that loneliness is the shortest way to desperation. To that I would add insanity.

MEI

I’m sure he is more lonely and helpless than you. And it is my firm belief that all men are lonely.

MEI (Continued)

Tonight when you are in bed, you can observe where he lays his hands in full sleep. If he put them on his thigh, well, he is moderately lonely and wants your comfort. If on his head, he must be very lonely and is seeking comfort from another woman. If on his heart, ah, he is so lonely that even that other woman can not console him and he is in deep remorse for his wrong decision to resort to that certain woman.

LING

He never sleeps before I do. Always be occupied with those management or business books which he takes as his Bible. Sometimes I wonder why are there so many books on telling you how to make money. Those are the devils which devour people’s life.

MEI

If there are as many books on telling you how to love and get love, people’s life would also certainly be devoured.

LING

I’m dumb to love now. I do not know what it is. I’ve never known it.

MEI

Then go out and find it. Night clubs. Single parties. Love is waving to you. Women of our age are surprisingly popular now.

LING

(chuckles)

My son is already an adult now. I would not be an old siren and swagger around and shame my son.

MEI

Then why your husband did?

LING

Because he is such a shameless b*****d.

MEI

It’s no wonder that a person who learns traditional Chinese stuff is so conservative.

LING

You learned modern avant-garde stuff, huh?

LING (Continued)

Then who accumulated a whole bottle of sleeping pills and telephoned me and said we would meet in next life when facing a divorce?

MEI

Oh, I was pretending then. It was a threat to He Qiang (何强) to leave the house to me.

LING

Really? You were such an excellent actress then. I was totally deceived by your performance then. I rushed into the car in my nightgown and went to your house. What was the time then? I’ve forgotten. Finally we found an unconscious Li Mei (李美) lying in the dark corner of the basement. And the doctors even flushed the cork of the drug bottle out of your stomach.

MEI

And I won the house and the fattest bank account without going to the court.

LING

That’s because He Qiang had already transferred most of his savings abroad. See how he immigrated to Canada the second year with that woman at such an ease! You never knew how much money he had got in his work. That’s the result of not controlling his purse.

MEI

He went to Canada because he escaped there after all the bribery he had taken was raked out by his enemies in the municipal government. He competed for the vice-mayor but ended up losing his original position.

LING

I know that. But he still lives a comfortable life there.

MEI

Not as I am here as a free golden intellectual woman in China.

LING

We were still young then. We are calmer now.

MEI

I’m wondering why you are so calm about this affair. Are you sure about his crime?

LING

Can I sit here and defame my own husband? Do you think I am calm now?

MEI

Surprisingly calm. What did you do to calm yourself down?

(LING stares at Mei for a moment blankly, which makes Mei a little embarrassed. She then relaxes and starts to speak.)

LING

Nothing. I sat in the balcony the whole night last night without closing my eyes or uttering a sound! I would not cry or anything and make myself a laughable moaning wife. He didn’t come back last night and didn’t call to inform me of it, as his usual practice. I walked in straightly at 7 o’clock this morning to cook the breakfast! It’s Sunday and the caretaker doesn’t come. I washed the old man, changed his bed sheet and fed him breakfast. Oh, the old man! He has lied in the bed for two years and never said a word but always moaned. When Zhang Jian (张建) calls him “Pa”, he moans. When the caretaker washes his body, he moans. When I say “eat the food”, he moans. And this morning when he had the breakfast he moaned so much that I moaned with him.

 

MEI

Why?

LING

He moaned because his bored; I moaned because I was in agony!

MEI

Does Zhang Jian care for his father?

LING

Yes, he does, only in his noble mouth as he always has, but leaves all the work to me! When his father had the stroke two years ago and couldn’t live on his own anymore, all Zhang Jian’s sisters and brothers agreed that they send the old man to the nursing house. But listen to him! He said he would not let his father go to that filthy place where the old men like his father were maltreated. And as the eldest son in the family, he had the responsibility to care for his father in his own home!

(Ling chuckles in a sneer and looks out of the window distantly.)

LING

All his brothers and sisters became anxious to hear his first sentence, and were greatly relieved to hear the rest of his speech! What a noble thing he had done! Why he doesn’t behave the least nobly to his own wife and family?

MEI

Well, all his brothers and sisters live in the countryside and are busy with their own living. Who would have the time and energy to care for an old disabled man? Of course they were glad to hear this.

LING

And we fetched the old man here from his small earth cottage in Zhang Jian’s home village. Then his used his sweet words and honeyed phrases to flatter me. He successfully threw the bag to me! Since then I became a pitiable housewife. No, a mere servant and housemaid.

MEI

You shouldn’t have agreed to quit your job and crouch in the family. You ignored my advice then. Hiring a caretaker will solve all the problems.

LING

He said hiring a caretaker had no difference from the nursing house. We shall hire one, but I need to be home and supervise her work.

MEI

A foolish trick to tie you to the house ever since, and you fell into the trap!

(Ling lowers her head and meditates. She heaves a slow breath out.)

MEI

You were simply not determined enough to say no.

LING

Not determined enough! Softness is not me! When I gave birth to Pingping(平平), he tried every way to urge me to stay home. Even my Mom advised me to leave the job and be a housewife to raise the baby. What did I say? I didn’t agree! I love my job in the museum. It is not pressing and boring at all. And I was to be promoted to the director of the Ancient Architecture Department when I quitted at that time.

MEI

Then why did you give up at last? I told you again and again if you ever walked inside home, you would find no opportunity to walk out.

LING

(softens her voice)

He said he had always wanted to let his father live with him and enjoy some good life. But he thought that would increase my burden and didn’t do it. Now his mother had died and his father was paralyzed, he wanted to fulfill his longtime wish.

(Ling lapses into an air of sorrow.)

LING

And Pingping was about to take his College Entrance Examination. I wanted to take good care of my son then and saw him go to a good university.

MEI

Anyway, you softened your mind.

LING

I thought a person has to make some sacrifice in life.

MEI

Sacrifice? Do not mention sacrifice. And never make sacrifice to a man. The more sacrifice you make, the more sacrifice he will ask of you.

LING

True, it’s true. They keep asking more and more till they rack the last drop of blood out of you. And they never appreciate your sacrifice when they betray you.

MEI

Men are cold-blooded animals.

(A pause.)

He Qiang called several days ago. Playing golf with some leaders of Chinese community in that Canadian city he lives. He said his wife and he would be more than welcome if I visited them. His wife! He laughed in his habitual fake disgusting way that he hadn’t changed for so many years. I would spit him on his face if it were not on telephone.

LING

When will Feifei(非非) come?

MEI

He called me for this, saying she was to arrive next weekend.

LING

Why doesn’t Feifei learn Chinese? So you mother and daughter can talk directly without He Qiang.

MEI

He Qiang said she learned Chinese in Canada. And I think she can speak Chinese. She left China at 3 and a half. She already began to recite Tang Poems when she went to China.

(She smiles faintly.)

Remember she came to your house with me and she read every character on the landscape painting? Chunjiang Shuinuan Ya Xianzhi. (春江水暖鸭先知). She was such a talkative soul then.

(A brief silence.)

MEI

(sadly)

But turned silent after our divorce. I think it’s just she doesn’t want to talk to me.

LING

She must be a young lady now. Then why she insists on coming back, after so many years?

MEI

I don’t know.

(She ponders for a while.)

Will she still call me Mom?

(A pause.)

But she never calls that woman Mom �"ha�" she likes me in this. An iron mind. Do nothing I don’t want.

LING

If you truly had an iron mind, you would have not let go of her when you divorced.

MEI

If you had it, you would not have quitted your job then.

LING

Well, women are genuinely soft species, not as hard as men. That’s why it is the women who are always hurt.

MEI

No, women are not soft, but warm.

(They are silent for a while.)

LING

I had to admit you are tougher than me. I would rather die than having my 2 years old baby snatched out of my breast.

MEI

I hope Feifei can forgive me. She will understand her Mom. She is an independent girl.

MEI (Continued)

He Qiang said he had intended to send Feifei to travel to Europe with that woman for her holiday. She must have rejected this idea and insisted on coming to see her Mom.

LING

She is a good girl.

MEI

But�"but she had her Dad book the hotel�"

LING

She will not live with you?

(Mei shakes her head in confusion.)

LING

Well, she has to adjust herself for some time.

LING (Continued)

Every one needs an adapting time. When Zhang Jian’s father came, I was so sick of having a moaning old spirit lying in the bed only a wall away from me. In late night, I heard his moaning. That really scared my mind out of my corpse. Now when I heard his rhythmical moaning, I want to dance to it. Ha-ha�"weird, though.

(Mei sees her friend with a curious expression, a little disgusted. Then she lowers her eyelids and lets out a long breath.)

MEI

I’m so sympathetic with you and your sufferance.

LING

This morning when I spoon-fed him, he slowly opened his eyes and surveyed me up and down for many times with his grey sad eyes. Then he closed his eyes and stopped breathing! Then he opened his eyes and smiled! Oh my god! He smiled with the only few muscles in his wrinkled face. Weird and frightening smile! His head even trembled a little. I nearly dropped the bowl to the floor.

(Ling opens her mouth wide and gasps as she puts her tea cup on the table. Mei can’t hide her surprised look and calms down later.)

MEI

What a dying man!

LING

I think I know him. Really. More than anybody else. I understand him. A man waiting for his death. Or aspiring for death!

(A long silence.)

MEI

I think it is he who calms you down from madness of his son. Huh�"

 

LING

To be honest, I myself was surprised by my calmness. Yesterday afternoon when I saw Zhang Jian holding a young woman in his arms, my heart throbbed, but for less than ten seconds. I did not run to them and shout around. I did not call him to question him. I did not even stop nodding to the saleswoman in the shop! Pingping called me when I was just back home, I said everything was OK. Perhaps I was not calmed down by the old man. I was calmed down by my strong feeling of loneliness.

MEI

Loneliness�"

LING

The emotion of loneliness totally overwhelmed me when my heart stopped throbbing. I told the saleswoman to wrap the dress for me and drove home feeling as if I were a small sparrow flying north with the flock of wild geese. A single raven groaning in the remote willow tree under the setting sun.

MEI

I know. I know.

LING

No, you wouldn’t know that bitterness when I put down the phone of my son, went upstairs and saw that dying old man lonely in bed!

MEI

Oh, my.

(Ling has tears in her eyes.)

MEI

You really calmed down. You are always a calm person. I remembered when we were juniors in college. You already had been together. One day we saw Zhang Jian carrying he famously flirtatious girl in the chemistry department on his bicycle and they talked happily and laughed. We were enraged and hurried back to the dormitory to inform you. You were watering the flowers and grasses that you grew in the balcony. You heard our hasty descriptions and didn’t even raise your eyelids!

LING

I trusted him then.

MEI

Then why not now? Did you mistake somebody else for him?

LING

He is a different person now. He was a simple and honest young man walking out from the poverty-stricken mountains then. Now he tries every way to dig out who is the father of his business competitor’s wife.

MEI

How time flies! We are all very different now.

LING

One thing that is not different in me is that I am as dedicated and honest to our relationship as ever!

MEI

(pouts)

That’s because you have no choice.

LING

No choice! Have you forgotten the piles of love letters I used to throw in the dustbin? You picked all them up and collected them, saying you were going to design an exhibition center for them.

MEI

(giggles)

I did design an exhibition center, but it’s for gravestones. All kinds of gravestones are there. And the patron of the center is such an eccentric man that I imagined him to be a living gravestone to commemorate his lost sense!

 

LING

And how Mom had wished me to marry the young colleague of Dad. And I could be a teacher too after graduation so that we could stay in the college with them.

MEI

I mean the choices after your marriage.

LING

After the marriage�"

MEI

Once after the marriage, a woman becomes a nail already hammered to the fence, a button already sewn to the sleeve. Men can marry and remarry and remarry as if it is a natural course bestowed by God, and women are destined to hang themselves up in one tree.

LING

After the marriage, Mom was mad at Zhang Jian when he said that we were to go to Shenzhen to create a world of our own and design skyscrapers out of the barren and destitute land there. But Dad, he raised his head from the piles of books on his desk and said, “Let them go. It’s a good thing for young people to have the aim of serving the construction of the country.”

MEI

Oh, your father�"he was a reputed professor in the mathematics department. The classroom was always filled with students in his Advanced Mathematics course.

LING

And Zhang Jian even didn’t attend his funeral last year! He briskly boarded the plane to Thailand when I informed him of Dad’s death, with a thousand excuses. Not to miss the negotiations there. So I went back alone and fetched Mom to stay here after Dad’s funeral.

(The tears in Ling’s eyes eventually brim out.)

 

LING

I asked her to stay longer instead of coming back to the shabby crowded apartment on campus and living alone. She said there was already an old man in my house as my burden and she could still live on her own. I insist on not letting her go. She bought a ticket secretly by herself and left. How can I�"

(Ling chokes and then sobs.)

MEI

Ay, she probably is more free and at ease on herself, as I am now. Out of the binding of family.

LING

When you are out of the binding of family, you have lost it.

MEI

That’s better than when you are still inside the binding of family, and you have lost it.

LING

(forcefully)

Lost!

MEI

Cruel, but true.

(Ling stands up, does nothing, and falls down in the sofa, in hatred.)

LING

What does family mean to a woman?

MEI

That depends. But definitely different from what it means to a man.

 

LING

What have I lost?

MEI

Well, you haven’t lost all, but definitely more than you have gained.

LING

No! I have lost all! All.

(Neither of them speaks. Ling stops sobbing. Mei stares at Ling confusedly. The rhythmical moaning of the old man can be heard from upstairs and the sound becomes more and more distinct.)

MEI

Do you want to dance to it, huh?

LING

(exalted suddenly)

Yes, I do! I do. My body moves with it now. I want to moan with him, too. Oh, what a melody! The melody of human. Listen�"sing�"ha-ha�"

(MEI is shocked to see the sudden excitement of Ling at the sound of moaning. She seems to be excited by Ling’s emotional burst, but returns to sense soon.)

MEI

Does he always moan so loudly as this?

LING

(still drowned in her fantasy)

Not as loud as this, perhaps. And not so charming and exciting. I like it�"I like�"

(Mei is alert now and speaks in a grave tone.)

MEI

Have you had lunch yet?

LING

No, I haven’t found the time to prepare for it.

MEI

Oh, my. What did you do all the morning?

(She looks at her watch.)

I came here at about 2 thirty and it’s already four. He must be very hungry.

LING

Hungry? Not hungry. He is just too bored and wants to sing a little bit to entertain himself.

MEI: Oh�"Ling�" When will the caretaker come back?

(Mei finds Ling is maddened by the moaning. She goes to the TV and turns it on. A singer is singing. We can hear the singer singing, “Our love is as light as the air, but that’s more than I can bear.” Ling returns calm from the zeal. She sits back in the sofa and closes her eyes. Mei crosses her legs and relaxes. After some time, Ling opens her eyes and speaks.)

LING

Pingping called yesterday and seemed to have told me something about his girlfriend. He grows up now. Always a good boy.

MEI

A good boy, yeah. Three years older than Feifei. When Feifei left for Canada, he dragged the corner of my dress and asked me where Feifei went. I said she went to a place far away from Shenzhen. He then asked when Feifei would be back. I told him it would be a long time. And he cried bitterly at my feet. I held him up in my arms and cried with him.

(Both of them smile.)

LING

He told me his Dad was a stranger to him for a long time. But Zhang Jian is to blame. He cares nothing about his son. Whenever I talk about Pingping, he is disinterested and says nothing.

MEI

He is not glad that his son doesn’t take architecture as his major.

LING

Nonsense�"his son is different from him. He can’t make his son live a life like him.

MEI

Well, men’s minds are weird.

LING

Perverted! I say Zhang Jian’s mind is perverted now.

MEI

Not perverted, but returns to the original. As a man ages, he returns more and more to his original state of mind, that in his childhood. He grew up in a poor mountain village. He must have hoped every able man could build better houses than those earth cottages he saw.

LING

Then early in his childhood, he even dreamed of finding one woman after another!

MEI

Well, he must be very lonely in his childhood.

LING

(coldly)

Excuses. There are excuses for every evil deed in this world.

 

MEI

No one is born an angel.

LING

Then is everyone born a devil?

MEI

Calm down, my friend. Ok. I’ll take you out for dinner. I need to call the caretaker to come. What’s her phone number?

LING

She is supposed to be here soon. At 7.

MEI

That’s good. We’ll leave a message to her to take care of the old man.

(An advertisement of paint is on the TV. Ling turns her head to watch it and murmurs.)

LING

Paint.

MEI

Zhang Jian once did the paint business, yes?

LING

My life is painted white by him.

(Mei takes to remote controller of the TV and turns it off.)

MEI

You are crazy. You find him in everything. You can live a life without him. Without a man. Just as I am doing and have been doing for so many years.

 

LING

You are tougher than me.

MEI

Am I?

LING

Yes!

MEI

I only see things clearer than you. Look around at the circle we are in. At this city. This corrupt city. How many families are breaking every day? How many women are being betrayed every night? Hundreds. Thousands. There are so many women who are just like you. It’s so frequent and prevailing that it is righteously normal and reasonably natural. Stop enclosing yourself in the closet and pitying on your sorrowful experience. Accept it and make your choice. It just happened.

LING

Choice! Is there any choice for me?

MEI

Forgive him!

LING

I can’t.

Mei

Then forget him!

(Ling sits down. Mei walks closer to her. They are silent for a while.)

LING

I found I have forgotten the color of my dress on our wedding. I asked him for it. He said it was red. I checked the photo album and found I wore a white dress, and a pair of black shoes. Mom scolded me for it, saying it was not auspicious.

MEI

Twenty years is really a long time, and it changes every thing. See how Shenzhen has changed in all these years. We as the builders witness it. The other day I came by the No. 7 middle school. I designed the teaching building the second year I came here. It was the tallest building in that area then. Even the mayor marveled at its height at the opening ceremony of the school. Now it is only a dwarf!

LING

In the 1980s, we worked hard in poverty and adversity, but we were happy. In the 1990s, we were busy making money, and became lost. In the new century, we sit to enjoy the convenient life, but we are desperate!

MEI

In the 80s, we dreamed. In the 90s, we confused. In the new century, we depraved.

LING

We are old now.

MEI

Aged. But we are still holding the responsibility of life. We still have to right to pursue for better.

LING

I have never been so helpless.

MEI

You lost your prop.

LING

I have never had a proper prop in me.

MEI

That’s why you collapsed so thoroughly.

 

LING

I will pick up my pieces and struggle to fight.

MEI

Don’t to struggle to fight. Struggle to survive.

LING

Survive? That’s too weak!

MEI

To survive. You need to be strong to do it.

LING

I can be stronger.

MEI

Few people are weaker than women in their post-middle-ages.

LING

I’m not a porcelain doll.

MEI

You are as fragile as a mirror.

LING

But when the mirror breaks into pieces, any fragment can cut your throat.

MEI

You are blind now.

LING

I have never seen so clear.

 

MEI

What do you see?

LING

The sword of justice in my hand. The crown of love on my head.

MEI

(sarcastically)

How poetic that is!

LING

We are too soft. So they ignore us.

MEI

They ignore us because they are ignorant.

LING

I will not tolerate.

Mei

Then you will suffer.

(A silence.)

LING

Last night in the balcony. I met YU [].

MEI

Who�"who?

LING

She said we three sisters in the same dorm went to Shenzhen together and she left the earliest.

 

MEI

What�"

LING

She said how she regretted that she had refused to choose one of the many courters around her knees and marry one of them.

MEI

Jiang Ling (江™)! Stop talking nonsense! She’s dead!

LING

Now she is tortured by loneliness of lying there along in the barren hill.

MEI

She is not lonely. We visit her so often. And the trees we planted around her. There are so many birds there.

LING

She told me a husband was somebody you should grasp and control, instead of somebody who grasped and controlled you.

(A silence.)

LING

She said she had always admired Zhang Jian and me, almost envious. Since we were in college.

MEI

Admire! You know she also liked him, but quitted competing for him with you.

LING

Yes, she left him to me.

MEI

Not leaving him to you. She just quitted.

LING

And I lost him!

(A pause.)

I sinned, against a dead.

MEI

It’s your husband who sinned. He sinned against a dead, and an alive.

LING

I will not forgive him, for Yu’s sake.

MEI

(She lowers her head.)

For Yu’s sake, you might need to forgive him.

LING

Why?

(Mei is silent. She wrings her finger with a ring on it.)

MEI

You know how did Yu die?

LING

(surprised)

A falling steel bar from the building under construction.

MEI

Maybe it’s time to tell you. We didn’t intend you to know it.

(Ling stares at Mei in curiosity.)

 

MEI

Can you remember the day when the accident happened? It’s a Sunday, like today.

LING

Yes. Oh, yes.

MEI

We took a day off from hard work. All of us engineers in that construction plot did. But not Zhang Jian. He is the chief engineer. The project still went on in Sundays.

LING

Yes. I know.

MEI

That Sunday, Yu went downtown with a man who she probably would have married if she hadn’t died.

LING

Then why she appeared in the unfinished building and had a steel bar hit her head?

MEI

The man proposed to her. He begged Yu to marry him in a flower shop.

LING

Oh, did�"did she�"

MEI

She did not. She didn’t promise the man immediately. But I believe she would, probably later. She had always wanted to marry and no longer be the only single one in us three. And the man, you know him, Hu Shan (胡山) loved her deeply.

LING

Yes, we met him on Yu’s tomb, on Qingming Festival last year.

LING (Continued)

He brought his wife and daughter along.

MEI

A dozen of courters before. Yu rejected them one by one. She told me she wanted to fix down.

LING

But why not? She never told me why she always wanted to marry but always refused to marry.

MEI

She could not let Zhang Jian go in her heart.

(Ling is shocked.)

MEI

She said she saw the shadow of Zhang Jian everywhere in her life. But she could not get close to him. Because he was already your husband.

(Ling remains silent.)

MEI

She was in real agony. But she was about to walk out of it, by marrying Hu Shan.

LING

She did not.

MEI

No, she did not. She ran out of the flower shop and directly went back to Zhang Jian that day.

LING

Ah�"

 

MEI

She found Zhang Jian and asked him. To deny all her hope before truly marrying Hu Shan, I guess. She asked him was still any possibility between her and your husband.

LING

Zhang Jian told you this?

MEI

Yes, after Yu’s funeral. But asked me never to tell you about this. And your husband replied, “My baby is sleeping in Jiang Ling’s body right now.”

(Ling weeps. She covers her hands on her face.)

MEI

And Yu ran into a corner of the unfinished building after hearing the determined reply. May be to weep, just as you are doing now. Without wearing a safe helmet. Ignorant of all the dangers in her despair.

(Ling wails. She can’t hold her breath. Mei has tears in her eyes. She sighs.)

LING

Yu died for me. She sacrificed her life for me.

MEI

It’s fate.

LING

Fate! Did fate tell Zhang Jian to betray me?

MEI

She never tells one what to do. She just knows what you will do and sits there and laughs. Coldly.

LING

You hide so many things from me.

MEI

Zhang Jian didn’t want to increase your guilt. He must be very guilty then. I tell you this to want you to cherish your husband. He did love you. Cherish him, for Yu’s lonely spirit in the hill.

LING

Yu told me. She told me to cherish him in our wedding. In tears. I never knew her pain, and loneliness.

(Ling is calmer now. She folds her arms before her breast and lets out a long breath.)

LING

I want to visit Yu’s parents some day.

MEI

We will go together.

LING

Will you have time? I mean you have a company to take care of.

MEI

I think it’s you who will not have time. The vice manager will see to the company. He has been in charge of most of the business since May.

LING

Since you knew Feifei would come?

MEI

I want to spend some free days with her. I owe her too much. But will she want me to stay with her during her stay?

LING

Of course she will. She comes to see you.

 

MEI

May be. I’m in real anxiety now. I can lose my business, but not her anymore.

(A pause. Mei sighs.)

But I have already lost her.

LING

Yes, it’s me who has no time. I can not go anywhere while the old man is in house. I had always intended to see Mom. The other day I called her. I can sense she is really very lonely. She nagged to herself in such a desperate way. We went back to visit her this Spring Festival. But Zhang Jian could only stay for three days. So he hurriedly took a plane back to Shenzhen alone. Mom said then I can no longer tie such a man like Zhang Jian around me. She said he ran wild. I did not pay any attention then. Now I see. I see! Mom makes sense!

MEI

She must have sensed something.

LING

Mom warned me, in such a sad way.

MEI

Old people always see everything through. But they don’t point them out. They don’t want to interfere any more. They are tired.

LING

How can I face Mom if I go to see her? I can’t.

MEI

Give you some time to calm yourself down. You will accept it. So will everyone. You need to relive, live a life anew.

LING

I can’t imagine how I will relive.

 

MEI

Time will show. You need to be strong.

LING

I can’t face Mom. I can’t face Pingping. I can’t face all my friends and classmates.

MEI

It’s not your fault. It’s Zhang Jian’s. He is to blame.

LING

But it will be I who bear the contemptuous eyes of the world! I can’t face the world.

MEI

Since he can face it. So will you.

LING

He is shameless. I want my reputation.

MEI

So you mean I’m an infamous woman since I got divorced so many years ago?

LING

I don’t mean it. But�"

MEI

You are a coward!

(Ling is speechless. She stands up and starts to go.)

LING

I’ll bring you a cup of coffee.

 

MEI

No. A glass of water is OK.

(Ling walks off. Mei sits in the sofa alone. She closes her eyes and rubs her temple. Then she gazes on the Chinese landscape painting on the side wall. The moaning of the old man is heard again and seems to be louder than the previous fit. Mei rises slowly and listens to it intently. Ling walks in with a glass of water and a cup of coffee. Ling gives the glass of water to Mei and goes to sit.)

LING

How I love the moaning! I used to listen to it with a cup of coffee. Enjoy the beautiful solo!

MEI

I’ll go upstairs and see him.

(Mei puts the glass of water on the table and goes to the stairs.)

LING

It’s a pity he can’t say hello to you.

(Mei climbs on the stairs for several steps, halts and turns back to Ling.)

MEI

He stops moaning. Can he hear me coming?

LING

Yes, he has sensitive ears. He always opens his eyes wide and holds his breath when the caretaker hums the melody of his hometown.

MEI

Oh, the caretaker can hum the melody of his hometown?

 

LING

They come from the same county. Dabie Mountains [大别山] in eastern Hubei.

MEI

Then he must know I’m coming and stops moaning. He may need something and wants someone to come to settle it.

LING

He is just lonely and wants to attract attention.

MEI

He hasn’t had her lunch.

(Mei turns back and climbs on. She now stands on top of the stairs and pushes the half open door full open. She looks inside the room.)

MEI

Oh, what a mess! What have you done?

LING

What have I done? I have agonized because of what I have been done to.

MEI

There is porridge all over the quilt. How did you fed him? Oh, what a miserable old man!

(A pause.)

He opens her eyes.

(A pause.)

Oh, he moves his head slightly. He turns his head toward me.

(He is frightened a little and shudders.)

Oh, he looks at me. Do you know me, poor old man?

MEI (Continued)

(She turns downstairs.)

He really has the sad eyes that touch me deeply. How I sympathize with him!

(Mei walks downstairs.)

MEI

A man lying in bed for two years! See nothing but the ceiling. I will use euthanasia if I were like this.

LING

The important thing is the despair that you can not get rid of. Lapsing into despair is ok. Being not able to get out of it is most gnawing.

MEI

(softly)

The despair must have tortured you for so long.

LING

(desperately)

I don’t want to live like this anymore.

MEI

Then think of changing.

LING

I’m powerless now.

MEI

At least try it before drowning yourself in the pain.

LING

I will. I will.

MEI

Relax first. I’ll take you to dinner. We’ll find a nice place to have a rest and forget all these.

LING

Perhaps. Perhaps.

(Mei stands up. Ling also stands up.)

LING

Ok. Let’s go. Let’s go to find hope.

MEI

Let’s go to relax.

(They walk off stage, arm in arm.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SCENE II

At Rise:       The parlor is dark and empty. It is night already. The sound of the washing machine can be heard from the back. The gate of the villa is opened. And then the light. We see a middle-aged man in blue suit. He is ZHANG JIAN, the host of the house. He is in good body shape, strong but not crude, wearing a pair of golden glasses. He carries a black leather briefcase. He walks to the sofa in the middle of the stage, put down the brief case on the table and takes off his jacket. He surveys the parlor and calls.

ZHANG

Ling!

(Nobody answers. He sits down. A lady of about thirty comes out from the back. She wears an apron around her waist and has a dark skin and wrinkled face. She is the caretaker, ZHAO FENG (赵凤). She has the air of usual shrewdness of aged countryside woman.)

FENG

Mr. Zhang, you are back. I’m doing the laundry.

ZHANG

Ling is not home?

FENG

No. When I came, Mrs. Zhang has already left.

ZHANG

Do you know where she has gone?

FENG

She left a note for me, saying she went out for dinner. And let me take care of the old uncle.

(Zhang Jian frowns.)

ZHANG

Is he well?

FENG

Yes, I’ve fed him dinner and washed him. And�"

ZHANG

And what?

FENG

Changed the quilt and bed sheet and his clothes.

ZHANG

OK.

FENG

(hesitates for a while before speaking again)

When I came this evening and went to uncle’s room, I�"

(Zhang looks at her and urges her to continue.)

FENG

I found the porridge all over the bed, the quilt and uncle’s clothes and even face. I don’t know what happened. I left this morning and all things were all right.

(Zhang Jian is slightly surprised to hear this. His face turns grim.)

ZHANG

OK. Give me a glass of water.

(Feng cleans her hand on the apron and starts to go to the kitchen. Zhang Jian leans back and looks at his watch. He then heaves a long breath. Now his cell phone in the pocket of his jacket rings. He takes the phone out and looks at the phone.

His face shows an expression of annoyance. He puts the phone down on the table. Feng walks in with a glass of water. The phone now stops ringing. Zhang Jian takes the water.)

ZHANG

Does my wife say when will she be back?

FENG

The note does not tell so.

ZHANG

You have many clothes to wash?

FENG

It’s about to be finished.

(Feng goes back to her laundry. Zhang Jian is alone again. He gazes upstairs. Now his cell phone rings again. Zhang Jian takes it up, looks at it and sighs. Then he answers it.)

ZHANG

Hello. (…) Yes, I’m home now. (…) At my home! (…) Do you have anything to say? I’m tired.

(coldly)

I’ll see to it. (…) I say I’ll see to it! What can I do now?

(angrily)

Whatever you want! It has nothing to do with me. (…) No. (…) No. (…) No. I’ll hang up. Do never call me when I’m home, OK? (…) I always warn you. (…) You have destroyed me. Totally!

(He hangs the phone and throws it to the table. The then looks around vaguely. He takes up the glass of water and drinks quickly. He finishes the glass of water and puts the glass down. Feng comes in and starts to go upstairs. She lowers her head as she passes.)

ZHANG

My father must have been asleep?

FENG

Um�"He sleeps very little. But maybe she falls asleep now. I turned the light off for him and he did not make any sound.

ZHANG

It’s good.

(Feng continues to walk upstairs. Zhang Jian goes to turn on the TV. Some romantic drama is on. The hero and heroine are hugging and talking their love. He watches for a while, then quickly becomes impatient and goes to turn it off. Feng goes down with a vacuum cleaner. She begins to clean the floor of the parlor.)

ZHANG

Why not do the cleaning in the morning?

FENG

OK�"I�"I�"just�"

(Feng stops there and can not say anything, red-faced.)

ZHANG

Ling told me you are also from the county I come from?

FENG

Yes, Mrs. Zhang also told me. I come out with my husband to Shenzhen.

ZHANG

Do you have any child?

FENG

Yes, one son. He lives with his grandma back home.

(Zhang Jian nods knowingly.)

ZHANG

What does your husband do?

FENG

In a construction plot.

ZHANG

Where?

FENG

In the southern suburb. Near the bay. Build some stadium.

ZHANG

I know. How much can he earn?

FENG

Um�"120 Yuan per day. A very hard work.

(Zhang Jian thinks a while and raises his head.)

ZHANG

Have you been here for a full month?

FENG

No. Still have several days to go.

ZHANG

OK. We’ll give you a fair pay.

FENG

Thank you, Mr. Zhang. You and Mrs. Zhang are good people. But it is really hard to work in your house. An old man to take care of all day and night, you know.

 

ZHANG

OK. We’ll pay you what you deserve.

FENG

 I know, Mr. Zhang. I cooked uncle egg custard for dinner just now. How he liked it! He had a full bowl of it. As if he hadn’t had his lunch.

(She stops abruptly. Zhang Jian turns his head to the door, indignantly.)

FENG

Oh, Mr. Zhang. It’s late. I’ll go to uncle’s room and sleep. He usually wakes up frequently all through the night.

ZHANG

Bring me a cup of tea before you go.

FENG

OK. Mr. Zhang.

(Feng goes to the kitchen. Zhang Jian stands up and walks to the several architecture models in the right side showcase. He looks at them carefully. Feng comes in with a cup of tea. She sees Zhang Jian and hesitates.)

FENG

Here is your tea, Mr. Zhang.

(Zhang Jian does not move.)

ZHANG

OK.

(Feng puts the tea on the table and goes upstairs. Zhang Jian is still in his deep meditation. Then his cell phone rings again on the table, interrupting his pondering. He turns his head and sighs. He goes to the cell phone and answers it.)

ZHANG

(To the phone.)

Yes? No? It doesn’t matter.

(He turns back to the architecture models and walks to it again.)

All these. They don’t matter to me at all, now. (…) I hope�"no�"I hope�"

(He falls into a long silence, listening to the other side of the line.)

Yes.

(His voice turns down gradually.)

Uh�"Mm�"mm�"

(Suddenly he walks to the center of the stage and turns excitement. He raises his voice.)

Listen. Love. Huh? I do not believe in it any more. But I have a family. A son. A father. And a wife�"

(The door opens abruptly. Ling enters alone. She is a little drunk. Her face is red. She walks slightly unsteadily. Zhang Jian suddenly stops and looks at Ling. Ling notices him and halts there, gazing at him. She takes several breaths to calm down as Zhang Jian now resumes his talking.)

ZHANG

Yes, I’m listening. (…) OK. (…) OK. (…) I’ll call you back when I’m ready.

(He hangs the phone and turns to Ling.)

ZHANG

You are eventually back.

(Ling turns to the kitchen and walks to it. Zhang sits down on the sofa. He sees the cup of tea, takes it up and drinks it.

He finds it not to his taste and puts it down, disappointedly. Ling walks in with a glass of water. She goes to sit directly on the sofa on the left side. She drinks some water.)

ZHANG

Had a good time tonight, huh?

(Ling gives him no response. She continues to drink the water. The she smiles coldly to her husband and replies.)

LING

Very good. Thank you.

ZHANG

With whom? Li Mei?

(Ling makes no response. Zhang Jian smiles contemptuously.)

ZHANG

Leaving the hungry old man at home alone for the whole day?

LING

The whole day? Well. A whole day. Not for the whole two years.

ZHANG

So you left him uncared and went out, for a day!

LING

Not leave him uncared for two years. That’s what you did!

ZHANG

I have my work to do.

LING

I had, too!

ZHANG

So you are still indignant about giving up your work! Work! So many wives had given up their works for their families and I don’t see anybody keep complaining like you do. Is your work your all?

LING

Yes! Now I see. It’s the rest of my life. It’s my all!

ZHANG

OK. Then drop your family and go to find your work.

LING

Family? Do I have a family now?

ZHANG

You do not. You do not have a family here. But get one in the museum. Just go to find it.

LING

Definitely not here! I have no family here!

ZHANG

What a b�"barbarous woman! I wonder what’s in your eyes, and your heart!

LING

In my heart? I have a dream. A dream of a good husband, a loving son. A dream of life. Such an unrealistic dream!

ZHANG

What do you want? I’ve never been so confused.

LING

I want simply a family, a life.

 

ZHANG

Nonsense. Are women of 40s are all crazy?

LING

Yes. They are not as agreeable as young girls in their 20s.

(Zhang Jian is silent for a moment.)

LING

Yes. Those young girls are attractive, lovable. That’s because life has never tortured them yet. The time will come, for every woman. It will drive every woman crazy. In their 40s.

(Zhang Jian stands up abruptly and walks to the stairs.)

LING

Whenever I see young girls in their flowery age, I pity on them. Genuinely from my deep heart. Because I see a miserable life facing them in their older ages. They will be betrayed, deserted, or even driven to craziness. They can not escape.

(Zhang Jian halts and turns to Ling.)

ZHANG

How I see a perfect model of craziness for them here!

LING

What an evil witch I am! For two years I�"

(Ling puts the glass on the table. She lowers her head and sobs. Zhang Jian walks back to her.)

ZHANG

Li Mei must have instilled those stupid ideas of hers into your mind!

LING

Now I see few people are less stupid than I am!

ZHANG

You must know she is different from you. She has no family. She is single and is free to do anything without having to shoulder any responsibility.

LING

Responsibility! I’m ashamed to mention it.

ZHANG

You have it. Always have. Responsibility of a family!

LING

Do you have the responsibility of a life, too?

ZHANG

Yes, of course. I work to support the family.

LING

Work? What do you work for?

ZHANG

For the family.

LING

Shame!

(Both of them are silent. Zhang Jian sits on the sofa.)

ZHANG

Why are you so angry today?

LING

I’m not as comfortable and gay as you are.

ZHANG

Who says I’m comfortable?

LING

Comforted by�"by the holiday you have�"

ZHANG

Ah�"I went to Hong Kong yesterday for a contract and just returned this afternoon. I’m tired to death now.

LING

Ha�"Hong Kong is a good exc�"excursion�"

ZHANG

You’ve also been there for so many times�"

LING

Shame!

ZHANG

Do you want to sing a song of shame today?

LING

What a good idea!

ZHANG

What a crazy woman!

LING

I have to be crazy!

(Silence.)

ZHANG

What happened?

LING

Well, a lot of thing did.

ZHANG

Did Li Mei tell you anything? What did she tell you?

LING

A lot of things, things that I can’t even imagine.

ZHANG

About me?

LING

About everything.

ZHANG

Oh God.

LING

Yes! She told me everything I need to know. What life should be. What a family should be. What a woman should be.

ZHANG

You women!

(Silence. He lets out a brief breath.)

ZHANG

You drank too much. Go to take a bath before going to sleep. It’s already late.

LING

It’s early. A night is always early for a lady.

ZHANG

Damned Li Mei!

LING

Dare you curse her like that!

ZHANG

Do you want to know how many men she has slept with in our circle?

LING

Stop it!

ZHANG

(sneers)

Everyone knows she flirts with all the young men in her company.

LING

She is also your classmate from college.

ZHANG

It’s a good thing He Qiang divorced her early. She must like it to death. For she was so boundless to be single again. Even gave up her child.

LING

Damn you!

(She stares at him in anger.)

LING

Damn you all men!

(Zhang Jian rises and goes back to the kitchen. Ling lean back and closes her eyes. The moaning of the old man can be again heard, ever louder. Ling hears it and opens her eyes wide, in excitement. She stands up and walks to and fro as the moaning becomes rhythmical. Zhang Jian enters from the kitchen with a glass of water and also hears the moaning. He notices the over-excited reaction of Ling to the moaning and looks at her in surprise.)

 

ZHANG

What the hell are you thinking all day? I can’t understand.

(Ling stops walking and looks at her husband.)

LING

Do you know I’m also paralyzed as your father is? Do you know I’m in more severe pain than he is? Do you know how I suffer everyday? Do you know how desperate I am? After nearly 20 years’ marriage, I suddenly realized I have long lost my heart to love and accept love. And yesterday�"

ZHANG

(alert)

Yesterday? What yesterday?

LING

Yesterday when my heart was stabbed by the cruel dagger, I bled! But I did not feel pain at all. I’m numb. What a terrible disease that is!

ZHANG

What are you talking about?

(He sits down and drinks the water. Ling walks to his side and stares down at him.)

ZHANG

What’s that for?

(Ling is silent and gazes at him angrily.)

ZHANG

What do you want?

LING

(firmly but desperately)

I want justice.

ZHANG

What justice?

LING

I want a life!

ZHANG

Mad woman!

(Ling steps back and halts. Then she slowly sits down on the sofa and her face becomes tender.)

LING

I was wrong. I was wrong.

(She shakes her head.)

ZHANG

Wrong? For what?

LING

I was wrong to wear a white dress on our wedding. And a black pair of shoes. Mom warned me. She did.

(Zhang freezes at hearing this.)

LING

Mom told me to be kind and respectful to your relatives from the mountain village. Dad held his tears in his eyes and sighed that his beloved daughter was eventually about to fly away from the family.

(Zhang Jian lapses into a fit of deep meditation.)

LING

Yu didn’t appear until the last moment of the wedding. She held my hand and told me to cherish our marriage.

(Zhang Jian looks at his wife with sad eyes.)

LING

And your father. The old man upstairs. I bowed to him. But some of your relatives said I should kowtow. And I did. I knelt down before him and kowtowed. He is so surprised that he even knelt down with me.

(Zhang Jian seems to have tears in his eyes and turns his head to another direction.)

LING

And Mr. Lin, our class tutor in college. He drank one cup of liquor after another, calling for all our classmates gathering around him to go south and build the development zone here.

(Zhang Jian sighs deeply.)

LING

But I was wrong. I was wrong to make that decision. A mistake that can never be made up for anymore. All these things are gone. Long gone.

(Zhang Jian rises and leaves quietly. He goes up the stairs to the bedroom the rest.)

LING

Gone�"

(Ling starts to weep. She sits on the sofa alone, helplessly. She weeps sadly.)

(Curtain)

© 2013 Jhuang


Author's Note

Jhuang
I am not a native speaker of English, so excuse my awkward expressions in many places. I expect your responses. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on February 25, 2013
Last Updated on February 25, 2013
Tags: family ethics, marriage, sacrifice

Author

Jhuang
Jhuang

Beijing, China



About
I am a loner, or a ranger. more..