Zero Hour

Zero Hour

A Story by J.E.M
"

It's not really a story, just more or a monolouge really, it isn't long though; 250 words approx, its describes a place, see if you know it

"

Where there should be darkness, I see a sky on fire. I stand on a thirteenth story balcony staring at the most disgusting, dissolute and deplorable city in the world, and it is beautiful.

Where I should see a sky with stars scattered, light pollution leaves the city with an intense ominous orange glow. My night-time lullaby is the siren song of police cars harmonised by the tones of decadent delinquents, the meaningless profanity they shout, the empty curses, they are pleasingly familiar.

The spirit of the city never sleeps, its trains continue to rumble at its belly and the lights of the many structures are a mass of twinkling eyes. I find it ironic that the heart if the city should be an eye, the eye; the ever turning Ferris wheel beats red this June, as it had in February, I see just before the horizon.

My estate stretches out before me, deprived dilapidated housing, abused mistreated parks where young and old alike smoke in the small green of the concrete jungle.

The wind kisses my face, I smile. The night air is humid and carries an aberrant scent; why does my city smell so Caribbean? I welcome the new tropical smell; it makes my second home feels as though it were the first.

Below the streets are not paved with gold, but I would gladly kiss those streets to show my appreciation any day. And above shine the orange glowing heavens over the glorious city of London

© 2010 J.E.M


Author's Note

J.E.M
The image is a photo I took myself, but unfortunatly it is marred by bad quality, if only you could see it the way I could.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very poetic. For some reason, I find that standing on the "thirteenth story balcony" adds a bit more of an eerie beauty to the piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really love your word diction and imagery here. The description of the city is especially convincing and I feel as if I were actually there. Well written!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I had figure from your profile that the city would be london but you threw me at "the spirit of the city never sleeps". I ove the imagary in this; I feel as if I am standing on that balcony as i read it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Awww. Wow you certainly love your city. I feel exactly the same way about NYC. I woud lvoe to go there. Anyway even though this phrase is used alot for poetry the imagery is amazing. I feel the love you have for your city. GREAT Job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought this was a well written write here.
I have a question why the bigger letters toward the end?
This is wonderful. I like it alot.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2010
Last Updated on June 7, 2010

Author

J.E.M
J.E.M

London, West, United Kingdom



About
So I'm J. (I'm a seventeen year old girl from London, but with Caribbean heritage) a writer by nature, since I was four years old (first story was 'Aladdin and the Magic Teapot;', horrible reviews) an.. more..

Writing
Before Dark Before Dark

A Book by J.E.M


One.....the note One.....the note

A Chapter by J.E.M



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Madness Madness

A Story by A.Lee