Campus Games (part 1)

Campus Games (part 1)

A Story by Jodi
"

Ashley and Katelyn meet when they find they are to share the same house on the campus of the college they attend in New Mexico. Ashley has hopes of becoming an artist while Katelyn dreams of becoming

"

 

Chapter 1

 

"This way," the student guide motioned with a smile.

 

Ashley followed the guide out of the administration building and into the bright sunshine. She squinted her eyes until they adjusted to the bright light. They crossed a large parking lot.

 

"Hi, Dalia."

 

Her guide looked towards the direction of the voice. "Oh, hi, Mrs. Doyle." She turned back to Ashley. "That's one of the math teachers."

 

"Oh," said Ashley as she watched the teacher get into her car and start it.

 

"See, it's a pretty simple layout, Ashley. It is Ashley, isn't it?"

 

"Yes."

 

"The parking lot and administration building are in the center of the campus which spans a good two hundred or so acres."

 

"Wow, that's big."

 

"Pretty big. Anyway, the buildings with the classrooms are towards the west side of the campus and the houses, or dorms, as some people say, are on the east side, surrounding the student parking lot. You got a car?"

 

"No, I don't. Have you been here long, Dalia?" Ashley asked.

 

Dalia nodded. "I'm in my final year of accounting."

 

"So it's been a good experience?"

 

"I think so. I mean, it's a typical college to tell you the truth. There's really nothing bad or extraordinary about it."

 

"I guess that's a good thing."

 

"As an African-American, I can personally say that they treat everyone equally. They don't care what you are around here. It's who you are that counts."

 

Ashley smiled as they wove through a cluster of ranch-style houses.

 

"Fortunately, the weather here doesn't usually get too cold. Especially since you're going to be in one of the houses at the back edge of the campus in row J which means you'll have quite a walk to your classes."

 

"That's okay," said Ashley. "I don't mind the exercise. So there are usually five girls per house?"

 

Dalia nodded again. "Yes. Everybody should be there by now getting unpacked and settled in."

 

"Are they all newcomers, too?"

 

"No. They've all got one or two or more years to go, but I know it's not their first year. You can see the house from here now. See it? It's the peach colored one."

 

Ashley followed Dalia's gaze and studied the house. It was a simple, ordinary looking house.

Towards the front and right side were neighboring houses about fifty feet away. Towards the left was a road. About twenty feet away from the back of the house was a tall stucco wall with a dense stretch of oleanders just beyond it.

 

"What's back there?" asked Ashley.

 

"Back where?"

 

"Behind the house."

 

"Oh, there's a strip mall back there. There's a pizza joint, a small Chinese restaurant, a drug store, a small grocery store and a few other stores, too. A lot of the students hang out there. So where are you from?" Dalia asked.

 

"Nevada, originally. I've been living further south in Las Cruces for the last year, though," Ashley told her.

 

As they approached the short walkway towards the front door of the house, Dalia took out a silver key from her pocket and handed it to Ashley. "Here's your house key. It works both the front and back doors."

 

"Got it," Ashley said, taking the key from her.

 

"Never copy it and always keep it with you."

 

"Okay."

 

"I hope they don't have the door unlocked," said Dalia, placing her hand on the doorknob.

 

It turned easily.

 

"Shame on them," Dalia said as she pulled the door open and stepped into the house with

Ashley close behind her. "Now, now, girls. Haven't you been lectured enough on campus safety?"

 

"Yes, I suppose we have," said one of the two casually dressed girls in the stark living room.

 

"Then why was the door unlocked?"

 

"Dalene was bringing stuff in from her car," said one girl.

 

"Well, you ladies should still keep the doors locked at all times. You may be in a pretty safe

area, but still, crime can happen anywhere."

 

The girls muttered their agreement, then Dalia began the introductions. "Girls, this is Ashley Severson. She's starting her first year as an art major."

 

"Hello," Ashley said with a smile.

 

The others smiled and said hello as well.

 

"This here's Nicolette Carey. She's taking computer programming," said Dalia.

 

Ashley smiled at the slender green-eyed redhead of about average height. She wore jeans and a T-shirt. The girl seemed to be more on the serious side, but not unfriendly in any way.

 

"And this is Rose Andreas. She wants to teach physically and mentally challenged children."

 

"Hi," Ashley said to the very plump, Hispanic girl. She was shorter and closer to Ashley's height. The sweatpants and sweatshirt-clad girl struck her as the naïve type who was friendly, but shy and quiet.

 

Ashley and Dalia left the two girls to continue on with their chat in the living room and headed further into the house down a long hallway.

 

"Your room's the first one on the left, but first I'll introduce you to the girl in back here, okay?"

 

Ashley nodded.

 

Dalia knocked on the partially open door of the back corner room. "You in here?" Dalia called out.

 

You couldn't see directly into the room because of the way the wall of the closet angled outward.

 

"Yeah, I'm in here all right," called out a semi-frustrated voice. "I wish they'd at least give us decent window coverings of some kind."

 

They stepped into the room where Ashley found a slim blue-eyed blond girl of average height fumbling with the blinds covering one of the windows. She was dressed in short shorts and a low-cut knit top that exposed her cleavage.

 

"What's wrong with what's here?" Dalia asked her.

 

"The blinds are bent. Anyone can see in easily," she said, turning to face them.

 

"I'll mention it to maintenance when I leave. First, though, I'd like to introduce you to Ashley."

 

"Hi," Dalene said with a quick smile that seemed phony before she turned away and began to

load her dresser drawers with clothes with hurried, impatient movements.

 

"This is Dalene Wilson. She's our queen of physical fitness, you could say," Dalia added.

 

Dalene continued putting her clothes away, never changing expressions. It was then that Ashley decided she didn't like her. She sensed the girl could be conceited and snobby. Nonetheless, she was polite and said hello.

 

"Remember to keep the doors locked, will you?" Dalia said.

 

"Yes, boss. Anything else?"

 

"That's all, ma'am. Take care."

 

Dalia turned to leave, and Ashley followed.

 

"Don't forget to let maintenance know I need new blinds," Dalene called out after them.

 

"I will."

 

Once they were out of earshot Dalia said, "That's Dalene for you. Always complaining. She can be a drag, but she's okay once you get to know her."

 

"Oh," said Ashley with a smile as they entered her room.

 

"Yours is the smallest room in the house, but since you're the new kid on the block, it'll have to do."

 

"It's fine," said Ashley. "It's only for a year anyway."

 

The small, bare-walled room which was in the middle of the front part of the house was small but sufficient.

 

"Well, I guess this is it then. I'll leave you to unpack and to go over all the rules in the brochure as far as what's allowed and what's not."

 

"Are wall decorations allowed?" Ashley asked.

 

"Sure. As long as they're not explicit or offensive in any way. It'll all be in the handbook."

 

"I'll go through it over the weekend."

 

"Where is all your stuff anyway?" Dalia asked.

 

"My aunt Hilary's got it in her car back at the administration building. She's talking with the dean. He's an old friend of hers. I'm going to head back there as soon as we're done here."

 

"Oh, I see. Well, you can show her the way here. Think you can remember it?"

 

"Yes."

 

"If you have a lot of stuff, it might be best if you drive around and park on the street just outside here," Dalia said, motioning with her hand as Ashley followed her back through the house, past the kitchen and towards the living room where Rose and Nicolette were discussing decorations for the bare white walls in the living room.

 

"I like that idea," they heard Nicolette say. "It'll be different than what we had last year."

 

Dalia led Ashley to a room in back at the other end of the house. Ashley thought to herself how nice it would've been to be assigned to this room because of the way it was set apart from the others. Dalia knocked on the door which was also partially open.

 

"Come in," called a cheery voice.

 

Dalia pushed the door open wide enough for them to enter. "Hi there," she said.

 

"Hi," said a tall skinny brunette with straight, shoulder-length hair clad in jeans and a T-shirt.

 

"Hi," said Ashley, gazing into the girl's friendly brown eyes.

 

"This is Ashley Severson," she told the girl. Then, turning to Ashley she said, "And this here is

Miss Katelyn Reed. Miss Reed's studying law."

 

Katelyn smiled. "And what are you studying?"

 

"Art," said Ashley.

 

"Oh, you draw and paint?"

 

Ashley nodded. "Mostly paint."

 

Katelyn smiled. "Sounds like fun."

 

"Well, we'll leave you to get settled," Dalia told Katelyn as she and Ashley turned to leave.

 

"Bye," said Katelyn.

 

"Bye," said both Ashley and Dalia simultaneously.

 

 

Chapter 2

 

The next month was spent falling into the routine of attending classes and doing homework. Once or twice a week Ashley would either speak with or write to her aunt and her friend Joy. She and Joy had been friends ever since she moved to New Mexico. Joy had been a great support after her recent loss, along with her aunt, the only living relative she had left. Her aunt was getting older, though, and had health problems with emphysema being one of them, so she tried not to burden her with too much and helped out around the house as much as she could. With her gone to college, since she had no husband or children to help her, she'd hired a housekeeper to make things easier on her.

 

Ashley let the others set up the kitchen and decorate the living room as they saw fit and concentrated just on her own room.

 

The rules were simple. On a dry erase board in the kitchen was a list of the household members' chores which rotated weekly. These chores consisted of dusting and vacuuming the living room, wiping down and mopping the kitchen, and cleaning the two bathrooms. They did their own laundry. The washer and dryer were just off the kitchen in a small utility area by the back door. They bought their own food and washed their own dishes. They were also responsible for the upkeep of their own rooms. The campus had people who mowed the grass on a weekly basis.

 

The layout of the house, which had no cellar, was simple as well. Beige wall to wall carpet filled the house. A long hallway which ran from side to side divided the house into two halves. The front half, from left to right, was where Nicolette, Rose and Ashley's rooms were, along with the living room. A bathroom was sandwiched between Nicolette and Dalene's room at the left end of the house while the back half, from left to right, housed Dalene's room, the kitchen, the other bathroom, a closet, and then Katelyn's room.

 

Ashley hadn't even been at the school a month, yet she'd already received a few propositions. She turned them all down. Not because she didn't think she'd like them, but because Ashley was gay. One hundred percent, very happily gay. She refused to associate with any straight, hard-headed bigots, so when Joy had assured her she wasn't the least bit homophobic, the two began their friendship, discussing both guys and gals whom they fancied.

 

She knew her aunt knew she was gay, be it by intuition or just by the fact that Ashley, who wasn't exactly bad looking with her aquamarine eyes and light brown hair that fell in waves to her waist, wasn't interested in dating. If her aunt had any qualms about it, she kept them to herself.

 

"Rose, you have a phone call," she heard Nicolette call out from the living room next door to her. Then she heard Rose's door open next to her on the other side. She wished she were in one of the corner rooms rather than in the middle of the house. She was the closest to the living room and the kitchen, so trying to sleep in on weekends wasn't always so easy. Katelyn's room was sort of close to the living room, but since the hallway ran between that room and hers, it didn't seem as close as it was. Plus, her closet bordered most of the hallway wall. You passed by the side of the closet when entering that room.

 

Ashley closed her textbook and placed her elbows on her desk. Then she rubbed her tired eyes just before she rose to step out into the hall. After she used the bathroom that she and Katelyn mostly shared seeing that their rooms were the closest to it, she glanced into the living room where Nicolette and Rose sat watching sitcoms before going into the kitchen.

 

She was both surprised and not surprised that Dalene turned out to be the one who kept mostly to herself. She was surprised because Dalene didn't seem shy, but not surprised because she was pretty sure that Dalene felt herself to be too good for the others.

 

What did surprise her was Rose's obvious desire to mingle with others as she seemed one of the more shy and insecure girls she'd met. She was sitting in the living room chatting one evening with her and Nicolette and noticed Rose's discomfort whenever she'd ask her questions about her life. Yet she didn't seem to want to hang out by herself in her room. It was as if she believed that that'd make her feel lonely, alienated and unwanted, so she put up with the discomfort of being around others.

 

Katelyn was more in the middle. She wasn't a loner, nor was she overly sociable. The girl seemed confident and cheerful around others, and based on her tomboyish appearance and overall mannerisms, Ashley had the fleeting impression every now and then that she might be gay.

 

She made herself a cup of salted caramel tea, then took it into the living room and sat down on the couch next to Rose. Nicolette sat in a matching plush chair closer to the TV.

 

"Hi," Ashley said to Rose.

 

"Hi," she said so softly that Ashley wondered if she'd really spoken at all.

 

The trio sat in silence for a while, then Ashley stood up to bring her mug into the kitchen. She passed Katelyn exiting the kitchen just as she entered it.

 

"Hi," said Katelyn in her usual cheery voice.

 

"Hello," Ashley said, turning to smile back at Katelyn who had also turned back for a second or so with a smile of her own.

 

 

The days passed by and finally, it was nearing Halloween. The weather was cooling down, making sweaters and light jackets a necessity at night. After her last class of the day let out one sunny Friday afternoon, she decided to head over to the strip mall after dropping her books off in her room. She really enjoyed the small Chinese fast food restaurant and she treated herself to one of their scrumptious combos once a week.

 

The eatery was deserted when she entered it.

 

"Hello there," said the Chinese man behind the counter. "It's Ashley, correct?"

 

Ashley nodded, aware that the young man desired to serve her with more than just food as she scanned the combos. "I'll take the number nine this time," she said after a moment.

 

"Number nine, coming right up, pretty lady" said the man, scurrying to fill her plate. "So how are you doing?" he asked as he worked.

 

"Okay."

 

"Been studying hard?"

 

"Too hard," Ashley said with a roll of the eyes.

 

"Then why not come to my place tonight? Some friends of mine are going to hang out with me and party the night away. Think you'd be interested?"

 

"No, thanks. I really have a lot to do, though I appreciate the offer."

 

"Perhaps some other time," the man said with disappointment dripping from his voice as he handed Ashley her plate.

 

She took it with a brief smile and sat down to eat. Though she was constantly being undressed by the man's eyes while she ate and wished other customers would arrive to take the attention from her, she enjoyed the food just the same. When she was done, she snatched up her purse and went in to use the bathroom before heading back to the house. No sooner had she entered one of the bathroom stalls did she hear someone finally enter the store.

 

Now you come! she thought to herself as she peed. It occurred to her then that the feminine voice she was hearing sounded familiar, though she couldn't put a name to it. They spoke very briefly even though she could never make out what was being said through the wall that separated the restaurant from the bathroom.

 

Just as she flushed the toilet and pulled up her panties, someone entered the bathroom and the stall next to hers. Oddly enough, when she peered underneath the wall between the stalls, she noticed that the small feet clad in brown loafers stood just inside the stall, feet facing the toilet, deathly still and quiet.

 

Well, aren't you going to pee? Ashley wondered.

 

The person continued to stand completely motionless.

 

Odd, Ashley thought. Who would enter a bathroom stall and simply stand there?

 

Unless they were waiting.

 

But waiting for what?

 

Ashley's heart rate sped up. She was about to pull the door to the booth open when the person suddenly turned, exited their stall, and proceeded to head towards the door as if they'd decided at the last minute that they didn't have to use the bathroom after all.

 

Next thing Ashley knew, the room was plunged in total darkness. Because there were no windows in the room, she was rendered completely blind.

 

Panic seized her as she flung open the door to the stall. Relief then washed over her when she saw the strip of light coming from underneath the door to where the restaurant was. Now she could hear another customer enter the place and begin giving his order.

 

Ashley began to move towards the door, assuming the bathroom's fluorescent light bulb had simply blown out and that she was alone in the bathroom when a sudden movement blocked out the strip of light.

 

"What the… Who's there?" Ashley demanded, knees turning to butter.

 

Suddenly, whoever was in the bathroom with her grabbed her and tried to shove her back further into the room.

 

"Let go of me!" Ashley cried before a hand quickly cut off her cries.

 

The person now had her back against them with Ashley facing the door and desperately struggling to break free of the psycho that held her and run towards the life-saving strip of light. She couldn't tell the person's gender or height, but she could tell that they were rather heavy. She struggled to hang onto her purse, assuming that that was what her silent attacker was after.

 

Her attacker then removed one of their hands to fumble with something metallic which they dropped. The instant it clanked to the tile floor, Ashley lifted her right leg and kicked her attacker in the knee. This momentarily stunned them, and Ashley wasted no time. She flew to the door, flung it open and ran through the brightly lit restaurant and out the door, leaving the counterman and the few customers that were now present gaping in wonder at her.

 

She hadn't wanted to stop to tell the counterman that a nut was in his bathroom for fear of them coming out and shooting at them. Instead, she ran to the pizza place three doors down and headed straight towards the pay phone. She called the police and, as quickly as she could, relayed what had happened to the dispatcher. She watched for the police from the pizza place's window. When they arrived, she ran out and explained to them in more detail what happened.

 

"Stay put right here while we go check it out," one of the officers told her.

 

She waited, pacing nervously along the walkway, peering into the Chinese restaurant. She could see the look of surprise and concern on the counterman's face. After a few minutes, they came back out of the restaurant.

 

"Well," said one of the officers, "he doesn't seem to know who could've attacked you. He did say, though, that he witnessed a plump woman enter the bathroom around the same time you did and that she left a good five minutes or so after you, but that's all he seems to remember. He couldn't say what hair color she had because she had a bandana on her head."

 

"All I could tell was that the person was on the chubby side. It was simply too dark to see anything else," said Ashley.

 

"Yeah, but I'm afraid all we can do for now is make out a report. Hopefully, there'll be no more incidents like it."

 

"I sure hope not," said Ashley. "Meanwhile, I think I'll refrain from using public bathrooms for a while."

 

With that Ashley turned and headed back towards the house. She walked with quick strides, nervously looking around her as she made her way. She was still a little shook up when she opened the front door where Rose, Nicolette, and even Dalene sat. Rose and Nicolette were watching TV while Dalene was gabbing on the phone. She talked and laughed so loud that she couldn't imagine how Rose and Nicolette could even hear the TV.

 

"What happened?" asked Nicolette, taking note of her nerve-wracked appearance.

 

She began to tell them when Dalene interrupted her. "Hey, will you be quiet? I'm trying to have a conversation here that's long distance and you're being rude."

 

"Come on," said Nicolette turning to face her, "ease up. The poor girl was attacked."

 

Ashley continued, not caring about being quiet enough for Dalene. Rose and Nicolette listened attentively while Dalene, who was now talking a bit more softly, half-listened, though if she had any empathy for Ashley or concern for her own safety, she didn't show it.

 

After a few more minutes, Ashley headed into her room. She heard Katelyn enter a moment later and the murmur of voices at the same time she heard heavy footsteps tread down the hallway, past her door, then what sounded like Dalene's door closing.

 

Ashley opened her sketchbook and began sketching a calming, serene scene depicting an ocean with romantic cottages and relaxed people.

 

Time passed as she sketched. Dalene and Rose took off as they usually did on Friday night, but Nicolette and Katelyn stayed behind.

 

Eventually, she realized that her pencils had gone blunt and that she had forgotten to take her electric pencil sharpener which she planned to get when she went home for Thanksgiving. She opened the top drawer in her desk. The little sharpener she'd purchased at the university's shop was not there. She realized she probably left it in her last art class but checked the other drawers as well just in case.

 

Still no sharpener.

 

She looked at the digital alarm clock that sat on the small nightstand by her bed. Its red numbers said it was just a few minutes before nine. Still early enough to see if she could use someone else's. She rose and stepped out into the hall. She could go left to Nicolette's room or right to Katelyn's.

 

She decided on Katelyn's and headed right. Light shining underneath the door suggested she was still awake. She knocked softly on the door in case Katelyn had fallen asleep.

 

A second later she heard movement behind the door and then the door opened. "Yeah?" Katelyn asked with a smile, shaking her bangs from her eyes.

 

"I'm sorry to bother you," Ashley began.

 

"You're no bother."

 

"I lost my pencil sharpener somewhere and was wondering if you had one I could borrow."

 

"Sure, come on in," said Katelyn.

 

Ashley followed her into her room. The neat, organized and comfortable looking room was more rectangular shaped than square like her own room was, Ashley noted as Katelyn began rummaging through one of her desk drawers.

 

"Wow," said Ashley. "You definitely have the nicest room, Katelyn. It's nearly twice the size of mine and has more of a secluded feeling to it."

 

"Yeah, it does," agreed Katelyn, momentarily glancing at her. "I'm glad I got this room." She then stood upright.

 

Standing as close as she was to her, Ashley was rather impressed with her height. Katelyn was no doubt a good eight or nine inches taller than her.

 

"I hope this will do," Katelyn said, handing her the sharpener.

 

"It will, and thanks a lot. I really appreciate it."

 

"Oh, it's no problem." Katelyn had a pleasant smile which showed dazzling white teeth. Then she casually placed her hands in the pockets of her jeans, looked down at the floor, then back up again and said, "Hey, I heard about what happened over at the strip mall. That must've been pretty scary."

 

"It was," said Ashley. "I doubt I'll be using public bathrooms for a while."

 

"Yeah," said Katelyn with a smile of understanding as Ashley turned and headed for the door.

 

"Well, I won't keep you much longer," Ashley told her.

 

Katelyn shrugged as if to say it was no big deal.

 

"I'll get this back to you in a little while."

 

"Oh, no, keep it. I have another one."

 

"Really? You sure?"

 

Katelyn nodded.

 

"Thanks so much, Katelyn," Ashley said with a smile. "You really saved me tonight."

 

"Glad to be of help," she said, following Ashley to the door. "So you don't do much on weekends?"

 

"No, not really," said Ashley, turning to face Katelyn just as she got to the door. "I'm not really the partying type. Besides, I don't know anyone around here yet."

 

"Yeah, me neither," said Katelyn, leaning against the side of the closet wall. "I mean, I have acquaintances here, but no real friends. You from here?"

 

Ashley shook her head. "I'm originally from Reno."

 

"Oh, yeah? And how do you like Albuquerque?"

 

"It's nice. Where are you from?" asked Ashley.

 

"I'm from Belen. It's a small town about an hour south of here."

 

"I know where it is. When my parents died last year in a car accident, I went to live with my aunt Hilary in Las Cruces."

 

"Oh, so you're way down there," said Katelyn. Then her face turned serious. "I'm sorry to hear you lost your parents and so young, too. I'll bet that was hard."

 

"It was," Ashley admitted. "Sometimes I still can't believe they're gone."

 

Katelyn studied Ashley a moment, then asked, "So how old are you, Ashley?"

 

"Nineteen, and you?"

 

"Twenty-three."

 

She and Katelyn were silent a moment as she studied Katelyn's attractive dark features, then suddenly, an overwhelming feeling of self-consciousness came over her, although it didn't exactly make her uncomfortable. She smiled, afraid she was blushing.

 

Katelyn smiled, too.

 

"Well," Ashley said, "I guess I'll be on my way now."

 

"Okay," said Katelyn. "Don't hesitate to knock if you need anything else."

 

"Alright."

 

"Have a good night."

 

"You too," said Ashley, flashing a smile, then turning to head down the long hallway towards her room. Her small, tight, cramped little room that had barely any walking space around the sides of the bed. What little was around the foot of it was where the desk and dresser were. It was no wonder the closet didn't stick out inside the room as well as in Rose's room, seeing how small those two rooms were. Their closets were actually side by side, wedged in between their rooms. The only rooms without something between them were Rose and Nicolette's rooms. She was glad that if she had to be stuck being the closest to the living room and the kitchen that at least there were a couple of closets between her room and Rose's. Still, she'd swap with Nicolette, Dalene or Katelyn if she could.

 

Oh well. It's just a room, she told herself. Besides, it won't be forever.

 

She sat down at her desk with her newly sharpened pencil and continued with her seashore sketch. She stretched her arms straight up overhead and yawned nearly two hours later, stood up, and prepared for bed.

 

Once snuggled down under the covers, she replayed the day's events in her mind.

 

Suddenly, an image of Katelyn popped into mind and she wondered why she hadn't noticed just how attractive she was before that night.

 

 

Chapter 3

 

Ashley awoke the next morning excited. Now she had more to look forward to than just an associate degree in art. She had Katelyn to look forward to as well. Yes, she was on a mission. Never had she felt quite like this before, she realized, as she smiled to herself. She couldn't wait to see Katelyn and was rather glad to know it was the weekend. If it weren't, she'd have to wait until the end of the day and that would be hard.

 

Hold your horses, girl, she told herself. Maybe she's not even interested in you or maybe she's going to be busy all day. She may not even be home today. For all you know she could be spending the day with friends, or, for that matter, a lover.

 

She ground the sleep from her eyes and tossed her blanket aside. When she stepped into the hallway she saw that everyone's doors were closed except for Rose's. She headed into the bathroom and washed up. When she was done she went into the kitchen to fix herself a toasted bagel with cream cheese. She periodically glanced towards the doorway in the hopes of Katelyn entering the room.

 

She noticed the hum of the dryer and then Dalene came through the kitchen to fetch her clothes from the dryer.

 

"Good morning," said Ashley.

 

"Mmm," Dalene muttered.

 

Have a s****y day, b***h, she thought, taking a seat at the table.

 

Dalene gathered her clothes into her laundry bag and carried them back to her room without a word or even a glance in Ashley's direction.

 

Ashley ate at the table with her back towards the door when suddenly, she heard rustling sounds behind her.

 

Katelyn?

 

She spun around, then felt her shoulders slump slightly at the sight of Nicolette.

 

"Hi," said Nicolette.

 

"Hello," said Ashley as she finished her bagel and headed back to her room. There she plopped herself down on her bed, still in the sleep shirt that fell nearly to her knees, where she planned to listen for Katelyn.

 

But what will I say to her when I see her? she wondered to herself. That I'd like to spend the day with her if she really is gay and single because I think she's hot?

 

Her door was suddenly thrown open, startling her into an upright position.

 

"Where is it?" demanded Dalene.

 

"Where is what?" Ashley asked with confusion.

 

"My big baggy green T-shirt with the blue flowers. I know you have it."

 

"I don't have anything of yours, Dalene," Ashley said rising from her bed, "and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't come barging in here…"

 

"Bullshit!" she screamed. "I know you have it and you better give it back or else I'll go through your things myself."

 

"The hell you will!" Ashley yelled, becoming angry.

 

"Yeah?" challenged Dalene. "I ought to just slap the truth right out of you."

 

"I don't think so."

 

Just then, Katelyn stepped out of her room and came down the hall towards where Ashley and Dalene stood. "What's going on, folks?" she asked.

 

"None of your business," snapped Dalene as she stepped into the hall to face Katelyn.

 

"It most certainly is my business if you intend to slap this poor girl around," Katelyn told her. "I mean, really, Dalene. Don't you think you should be picking on someone your own size?"

 

Katelyn was now right up in Dalene's face in a challenging way that dared her to raise a hand to strike one of them. Although Katelyn was skinnier than the busty and slightly curvy Dalene, Katelyn was a good four inches or so taller.

 

Dalene stared at her with defiance. "I got ten bucks that says I can whip your a*s."

 

"I got more that says you can't," retorted Katelyn.

 

Dalene's face turned crimson with fury as she roughly shoved Katelyn. Dalene appeared to be surprised that she hadn't knocked Katelyn off her feet. Katelyn quietly held her ground as

Dalene once again attempted to push her to the hallway floor. When that failed to work, she threw a punch that Katelyn abruptly caught in her fist as if she wore a catcher's mitt and had caught a baseball instead.

 

Now Dalene's anger was turning to sheer frustration and embarrassment. "Let go of me, you b***h, let go!"

 

"I'll let go when you promise to leave Ashley alone," Katelyn told her in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

 

"Okay, fine! I'll never say another goddamn word to her again," Dalene insisted desperately.

 

Katelyn released her hold on Dalene.

 

Dalene looked angrily from her to Ashley, then spun on her heel and into her room, slamming her door loudly behind her.

 

Katelyn then turned to Ashley. "You okay?"

 

Ashley nodded as her heartbeat returned to normal. "Yeah. You saved me again. Thanks."

 

"No prob," Katelyn said with a smile. She was both proud and pleased to be able to rescue

Ashley, though she'd rather not have to do so in the first place.

 

"She's losing it," they heard Nicolette say.

 

Ashley and Katelyn turned to see Nicolette standing beside the kitchen doorway.

 

"Especially since her shirt's right here." Nicolette held it up. "It was on the floor wedged in between the washer and the dryer where she must have dropped it. I'll go give it to her and tell her where I found it."

 

"Okay," said Katelyn who then turned back to Ashley and peered down at her. "Want to come hang out with me for a while?"

 

Ashley smiled, nodded and followed Katelyn to her room, admiring her long, well-muscled legs which were mostly exposed. Her sleep shirt only fell to her upper thighs.

 

They entered the room where Katelyn walked over to her bed, propped her pillow up against the wall and sat down on the bed leaning against it with her knees drawn up. She told Ashley to sit wherever she'd like.

 

Ashley sat on the edge of the rather wide twin-size bed. Even the bed was larger than her narrow strip of a bed.

 

Katelyn folded her forearms across her thighs and asked, "Feeling better now?"

 

Ashley nodded.

 

Katelyn smiled gently. "So, Ashley?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"You got a boyfriend or something?"

 

Ashley shook her head. She hesitated a moment, then said, "I've never actually been with a woman before, but I don't have to have been to know that I'm gay."

 

"Really?" Katelyn said, still smiling.

 

"Really. That okay?"

 

Katelyn chuckled. "Yeah, I think so. Especially since my ex had the same parts we do."

 

Ashley smiled. So Katelyn really was gay.

 

"They say the first breakup hurts the worst, but I'm rather glad to be rid of her, to tell you the truth."

 

"Was it that bad?"

 

Katelyn looked thoughtful. "Well, I wouldn't say it was necessarily bad, but it wasn't going anywhere either. You ever been with a guy?"

 

"Yeah, I dated a guy," Ashley said, "though we didn't do much. You been with any?"

 

Katelyn shook her head. "No, I pretty much always knew what I wanted, so that's what I focused on."

 

"Is your family okay with it?"

 

"Yeah, they are. I think they knew I was gay long before I did. Parents sense these things, I guess. So, are you sure it's what you want?"

 

Ashley looked at Katelyn, admiring her eyes of warm chocolate and dared to say, "If I met a girl as nice and as good looking as you are I'd be sure for sure."

 

Katelyn smiled. "Aw, how sweet."

 

"Do you not like guys?" Ashley asked. "I mean, I know you're attracted to women, but what do you think of guys in general?"

 

Katelyn shrugged. "I don't know. Guys are just guys, I guess. How 'bout you?"

 

"Honestly?"

 

Katelyn nodded.

 

"They're jerks."

 

The two laughed heartily.

 

"At least most of them are, anyway," Ashley added.

 

They laughed some more, then went on to talk about things in general such as their hobbies and goals in life, along with what teachers they liked and disliked. Ashley learned that Katelyn hoped to become a prosecutor around the same time Ashley went home to paint all kinds of paintings that would hopefully sell at local galleries, and maybe, if all went really well, she'd branch out from there.

 

"I considered international law at first," said Katelyn, "then I said, nah."

 

"What about being a defense attorney?"

 

"No way. Defend people who are more than likely guilty as charged? I don't think so. I don't think I could live with myself if I helped to secure a killer's freedom."

 

Not long afterward, Katelyn asked to see any sketches Ashley had, so they headed for her room.

 

"Wow, you're good!" said Katelyn with a smile of amazement and delight.

 

"Thanks," Ashley said, filled with her own amazement and delight over the fact that this sexy, friendly, intelligent girl seemed to like her.

 

"I like this one with the little girl and boy playing with the kittens," Katelyn said before placing the sketchbook down to study a framed photograph. "That's one very beautiful girl in this picture."

 

"That's me, silly," Ashley giggled.

 

"I know. I'm just teasing, though it's the truth. Who are the people with you, your parents?"

 

Ashley nodded just as there was a knock on the door. She stepped over to the door and opened it.

 

It was Nicolette. "Did you hear the news?" she asked.

 

"No, what's up?" asked Ashley.

 

"I still can't believe it," Nicolette said with shock. "A girl was murdered in one of the houses here on campus."

 

"Oh, my God!" exclaimed Ashley.

 

"You're kidding?" said Katelyn at almost the same time.

 

But they could see just how serious Nicolette truly was.

 

"So what happened and who was it?" Katelyn asked.

 

"I don't know who it was. All they would tell me was that she was a freshman and that she was alone when it happened. She was strangled, I guess, from what I heard, but it didn't appear like anyone had broken into her house."

 

"She must've known her attacker," said Katelyn, "or at least trusted whoever it was enough to let them in."

 

"Where did this happen?" asked Ashley.

 

"On the other side," said Nicolette.

 

"The other side?" asked Ashley, confused.

 

"You know how our house is on the southeast side of the campus?"

 

Ashley nodded.

 

"It happened on the northeast side. There are ten rows of houses with ten houses to each row. Ours is in the tenth row, row J, and the murdered girl lived in the first, row A."

 

"And they don't have a clue as to who could've done it?" Katelyn asked.

 

"Nope."

 

"That's pretty scary," Ashley said with dismay written all over her face. "When they talk about crime in the big city, you don't think of a college campus. You think of rundown neighborhoods filled with gangs and hood rats."

 

"Crime isn't only an inner-city thing, that's for sure," said Katelyn.

 

The trio heard the sound of a door being opened further down the hall, and Nicolette, who was in the doorway, glanced in that direction.

 

"Did you say someone was killed?" asked Dalene.

 

Nicolette nodded. "I'll tell you about it in a sec." Then she turned back to Ashley and Katelyn.

"I'll see you both later. Sorry I had to ruin your day and it's not even lunchtime yet."

 

"Yeah, well, just be careful," Katelyn told her before she went off to talk to Dalene.

 

Ashley closed her door and glanced at Katelyn. The jovial atmosphere that had filled the room not so long ago was now replaced with anxiety.

 

"This really sucks, huh?" said Katelyn.

 

Ashley nodded. "I wonder if my being attacked at the Chinese restaurant has any connection to this."

 

"I was wondering the same thing."

 

"I do not want to have to tell my aunt about this, Katelyn. All she'll do is worry."

 

"But hun, she's bound to find out. Murder's big news, I'm afraid, especially on a college campus."

 

"I suppose you're right. I guess I better call to let her know I'm okay just in case she knows about it already."

 

"Okay," said Katelyn, following Ashley out of her room. "I'll be in my room if you need me. Just please promise you'll be careful if you go out, Ashley."

 

"Oh, I will. You can rest assured on that one."

 

Ashley phoned her aunt who was understandably concerned and promised to be extra careful and not go out after dark, especially alone.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Later on that day a pair of detectives, assisted by one of the campus directors, went door to door questioning everyone who was available, hoping for even the tiniest of clues to help them catch the killer.

 

"Are you the only ladies living in this house?" asked one of the detectives.

 

"No," said Katelyn. "There's a girl named Rose Andreas who lives here too, but we haven't seen her all day."

 

Just then, the door opened up and in walked Rose.

 

"There you are," said Nicolette. "We were wondering where you've been all day."

 

Rose closed the door and looked warily at the detectives and the director. "Just out and about. I heard the horrible news," she said before the detectives asked her the same questions they had asked the others.

 

Shortly afterward, the detectives left the house and the girls fell into their usual weekend routine. This meant that Dalene would spend most of the time out of the house while the other three spent most of the time in their rooms. Even Rose was gone more and more these days.

 

Try as she might, Ashley couldn't imagine where Rose could possibly spend so much of her time. She could see Dalene having enough phony, conceited people like herself to hang with, but quiet, shy Rose? Must have a boyfriend, Ashley concluded. After all, there were plenty of guys who liked quiet girls like Rose, and although she was heavy, she wasn't ugly.

 

After a while of reading, she thought about knocking on Katelyn's door.

 

Katelyn.

 

Wonderful, gorgeous Katelyn who she just couldn't stop thinking of when she wasn't thinking about the student that was killed and the horrible fate she narrowly escaped herself.

 

However, she opted not to go to her room so as not to come off as a pest. Instead, she decided that since it was close enough to dinner time anyway, she'd go fix herself something to eat and hope that Katelyn would come out to do the same at some point.

 

She set her book down on her nightstand and stepped out into the hall. The sound of crying stopped her dead in her tracks. She glanced towards the right, then towards the left.

 

Who could possibly be crying?

 

Heading towards the left, she realized, as she spotted light from underneath the door closest to hers, that it was Rose she was hearing. Just to be sure, she ventured on past Rose's door towards Nicolette's closed door.

 

The sound faded.

 

She doubled back, took a deep breath, then knocked softly on Rose's door. At first, she didn't think she heard her or that she was going to answer if she had, but then she got a meek response. "Who is it?"

 

"It's me, Ashley. Can I come in?"

 

Ashley could sense the hesitancy on the other side of the door.

 

"Yeah, I guess. It's not locked."

 

Ashley opened the door and found Rose sitting on the edge of her bed, tissue in hand.

 

"I heard you crying and I just wanted to see what was up. Can I help in any way?"

 

Rose studied Ashley with skepticism, then smiled softly. "No, thanks. I appreciate your concern, but I'll be okay. I just get a little homesick at times."

 

Ashley smiled understandably. "I know what it's like. Where's home anyway?"

 

"I'm from the area."

 

"Got a big family?"

 

Rose nodded. "Four sisters and three brothers."

 

"Wow!" Ashley exclaimed.

 

"Most Mexican families are quite large."

 

Ashley laughed. "I guess so. Why is that anyway?"

 

Rose shrugged. "Don't know. It's just how we are, I guess."

 

Just as Rose went to blow her nose with the tissue she'd been holding, Ashley noticed cuts on the palms and backs of her hands.

 

"What happened to your hands?"

 

Rose looked at her hands as if noticing the cuts for the first time. "Oh," she said nonchalantly, "I passed by some kids playing ball and the ball whizzed right by me and into some thorny hedges. Guess I got scratched up a bit helping to find the ball."

 

"So where do you hang out on weekends? You're usually not here."

 

"Here and there," Rose said evasively.

 

"He must be quite a prince," Ashley said with an impish smile, trying to coax the mysterious girl to open up.

 

"I wish," Rose said sorrowfully. "Maybe someday, but right now I just don't seem to fit in anywhere, you know? Guys aren't interested in me because I'm fat and other chicks don't want to hang out with a Mexican."

 

"To hell with any guys who don't want you just because of your weight, and how about hanging out with your own kind if you feel others will reject you?"

 

Rose shrugged, seeming to consider Ashley's advice, then placed her hands in her lap, still holding the wadded tissue, and looked up at her. Her look had changed. Now she was eyeing

Ashley as if she were an intruder.

 

Ashley began to back out of the room. "Well, I'll give you some space. I'll be around if you decide you want to chat some more."

 

"Thanks," Rose said before she shut the door and headed for the kitchen just as Katelyn exited her room.

 

Ashley's face lit up as fast as her heartbeat sped up.

 

"Hey there, what's up?" said Katelyn.

 

Ashley motioned her into the kitchen and Katelyn followed, curiosity furrowing her brow.

 

"I heard Rose crying," Ashley whispered, "and so I knocked on her door to see what was up."

 

"And?"

 

"She said she was homesick."

 

"How strange," said Katelyn.

 

"Why?"

 

"She said she never got along with her family. Something about feeling like the black sheep of the family because she was the only one born out of an affair her mother supposedly had."

 

"Oh," said Ashley.

 

Katelyn glanced towards the hallway, then back at Ashley. "It's never good to gossip, so let's just keep this between us, okay?"

 

"No problem. I probably wouldn't be telling this to anyone else. I feel I can trust you more than anyone else I've met around here."

 

"Good," Katelyn said with a smile as she rummaged through the refrigerator.

 

Ashley watched her, admiring the way her snug a*s looked in the jeans she wore.

 

"You know," Katelyn said, closing the door to the refrigerator and standing upright to face Ashley, "I'm rather tired of the same old, same old. You had dinner yet?"

 

Ashley shook her head.

 

"How about it if I have a pizza delivered and you split it with me?"

 

"Sure, let me go check my money and…"

 

"Oh, don't bother, hun. It'll be my treat."

 

Ashley turned back to Katelyn.

 

"Really, it will be. I'd love to treat you," Katelyn said with a twinkle in her eye. "The only way you have to pay for it is to share it with me and keep me company for a while. That is if you'll agree to do so."

 

"Of course I will and I'd love to spend time with you," Ashley said with a smile.

 

"You like mushrooms?"

 

"Love them."

 

Excitement swept through Ashley as she skipped happily down to her room to run a brush through her hair while Katelyn phoned in the order. She studied her reflection in the mirror and noted her happy expression. That changed when she looked down at her dull sweatpants and sweatshirt, but thought it may look a bit odd if she changed now or touched up what little makeup she wore.

 

Ashley left her room shortly afterward and watched as Katelyn stepped into the darkened living room to take the pizza once it arrived. She looks good even in the shadows, she thought to herself, watching her sexy silhouette brighten as she turned and came towards the lit kitchen.

 

"Let's grab some silverware, drinks and some napkins first," said Katelyn.

 

"I'll fetch it. You can go get set up in your room and I'll be in in a sec."

 

"Okay then. See you there," Katelyn said with a wink.

 

A wink that suggested what? Ashley wondered. That they'd do more than eat pizza? Or could she be mistaking a friendly girl who simply wanted to be friends and nothing more?

 

The answer would come not long after they finished most of the pizza.

 

"I'm stuffed," Ashley said, "yet it was really good. Thanks for the treat."

 

"You're quite welcome." Katelyn stood up. "I'm going to go and put the rest of it in the refrigerator for now."

 

Ashley watched as Katelyn gathered the pizza and some other items from the bed they sat on while they ate, and then leave the room with both hands loaded. She studied the room closely once Katelyn was out of sight.

 

By the nightstand stood a picture of her standing between what appeared to be her parents.

She had her arms draped over their shoulders as she smiled broadly. The rest of the room appeared to be an ordinary room for a college student with textbooks, pens, and pencils, along with other typical items.

 

She was still sitting on the side of the bed when Katelyn returned. She walked slowly towards her, hands tucked casually in the pockets of her pants.

 

"Do you want me to go now in case you want to study or go to sleep?" Ashley asked, suddenly feeling a little timid.

 

Katelyn smiled slightly, then asked, "Do you want to go?"

 

Ashley thought a moment, then shook her head slowly. "No," she said softly.

 

Katelyn sat down next to her, shook her bangs out of her eyes and gazed at her. She then smiled and reached for one of Ashley's hands, cupping it gently in her palms and studying it intently. "So tiny," she said with a smile, glancing back at Ashley.

 

Katelyn then released her hand and leaned towards Ashley for their first kiss.

 

Ashley leaned closer as well.

 

Their lips met in a sweet, soft, tender kiss that seemed to be filled with a mixture of curiosity, lust and emotion.

 

After a moment, Katelyn pulled back, smiled, then said in a hushed voice, "Hold on." She stood up and walked towards the door which Ashley couldn't see very well from the bed. She heard Katelyn click the lock into place before returning to where she sat. "They don't usually knock first."

 

Ashley chuckled.

 

Katelyn sat back down next to her and leaned towards her once again for another sensual kiss. Little by little, Katelyn nudged Ashley onto her back with her weight where they kissed a while longer. Then Katelyn stood up and pulled her shirt up over her head along with the sports bra she wore while Ashley sat upright to remove her own shirt and satin-lace bra.

 

Katelyn shrugged out of her pants and underwear, then Ashley laid back so she could remove her sweatpants. Katelyn helped, tugging at the sweatpants before taking a moment to feast her eyes upon Ashley's body. Delight and excitement shone in her dark eyes.

 

"You're quite a beauty," she said softly.

 

Ashley smiled. "The feeling's mutual."

 

And it was. Katelyn was a stick, in a sense, that most guys wouldn't exactly go for, yet she possessed a certain kind of beauty that appealed to her as well as strength that gave Ashley a sense of security. She could easily see other gay fems such as herself desiring the tall, dark, muscle-bound girl. Delight stirred within her as she watched the way she held her shoulders high, chest erect. She had very small breasts, yet she had firm, erect n*****s that made her quiver with a desire that was foreign to her, but wonderful just the same. Muscles rippled gently from Katelyn's shoulders down to her forearms as she moved to hover over her with her arms at her sides.

 

Pinned beneath Katelyn with her lower legs dangling over the side of the bed as she trailed a line of kisses down her face and neck, she felt her passion growing surprisingly fast. Katelyn's flesh felt heavenly against her own as the trail moved down to one of her breasts. Her body arched against Katelyn's swirling tongue, demanding more. Warm breath mixed with the cool moisture left on her quivering skin as she quickly swung her tongue to administer the same heavenly treatment on the other breast.

 

Ashley's breath now came in short, shallow breaths. She noticed that Katelyn's breathing was getting heavier as well with her own mounting desire for ecstasy and release.

 

Katelyn's tongue slowly and teasingly trailed down from her breasts to her lower belly as she slid off the bed to kneel on the floor.

 

Ashley's legs spread instinctively, longingly. "Please, Katelyn," she begged.

 

Katelyn glanced up at her with lust-filled eyes.

 

"I can't wait any longer," Ashley told her.

 

Katelyn slipped her silky panties off with ease in one quick, fluid motion and Ashley wasted no time. She threw her legs around Katelyn's neck and pulled her closer to her before she clasped her ankles securely in back.

 

"Guess we are getting desperate here," Katelyn said with a grin.

 

"Please hurry," Ashley urged, amazed at just how desperate she truly was.

 

Katelyn dove between her legs and expertly licked and sucked at her p***y till she brought her to a squealing orgasm.

 

She let her heart rate slow down for a minute, then, sensing Katelyn's own urgency, she motioned her onto the bed and switched places with her. Katelyn bent her knees so that her feet were on the very edge of the bed as Ashley moved in between them. Katelyn gazed down to where she knelt, hot with desire. Ashley slid her hands up towards Katelyn's firm breasts. At the same time, she began to lick Katelyn's p***y till she shuddered in ecstasy, placing a hand over her mouth to keep from crying out too loud.

 

They took a moment to catch their breath, then Katelyn sat upright next to Ashley. "So how ya feeling now?" she asked.

 

"Wonderful," Ashley replied with a grin.

 

"So you're certain this is for you?"

 

"Without a doubt."

 

Katelyn looked thoughtful a moment. "It sure was good."

 

"Yes, it was. A little fast, but good."

 

"Well," said Katelyn with an impish and suggestive grin, "we can always make it last a little longer the second time around."

 

With that, they made love again... Slower this time.

 

 

Chapter 5

 

Ashley awoke the next morning even more excited than she had the day before. Her thoughts went immediately to Katelyn and all that they'd done together the night before. It was close to midnight when Ashley had finally returned to her room with much reluctance, noting that Rose and Dalene were still out.

 

"I'm going to kill those b*****s!" she heard Dalene scream.

 

Oh no, she thought, not again. Now, what did I do?

 

"Kill whom?" she heard Nicolette ask.

 

"Beth Ashton and Julia Drake."

 

"Why?" she heard Rose ask shyly.

 

"Because they're such a******s!"

 

The voices got further away as they headed into the kitchen, so Ashley was unable to make out everything that was being said. She rose, threw on her robe, then headed for the kitchen herself. Katelyn was seated at the table along with Rose and Nicolette. She smiled at Ashley when she saw her."

 

"Morning, hun," she said.

 

"Good morning," Ashley answered back.

 

Dalene continued, oblivious to her surroundings as she pulled a jar of peanut butter from one of the cabinets. "They're just such lying, back-stabbing b*****s! Beth had a party at her house last night, which she invited me to. Then when I got there she changed her story and said she hadn't invited me. So then when I said I'd leave, she said no, no, don't do that. I have a guy I want you to meet, and believe me, he desperately wants to meet you, too. So I told her that if he was better in the sack than my boyfriend, I'd give him a try."

 

Nicolette and Rose glanced at each other with slight amusement on their faces.

 

Katelyn looked up periodically from the magazine she was thumbing through and glanced at Dalene as if she were as pathetic and as immature as she sounded. At least she sounded that way to Ashley, who was quickly becoming rather embarrassed for her on top of sick of her tirades.

 

"So we go up to her parents' room - her parents are out of town - and we talk a while, have some beers, smoke a little grass, then he comes onto me like a hurricane. At first, I was like, whoa, buddy! Don't be so rough and so damn desperately eager. So then he chills enough to shuck our clothes and we go to get it on. Next thing I know, Julia pops open the door and snaps pictures of him on top of me."

 

Dalene finally finished smearing enough peanut butter on her toast.

 

"How awful that must've been!" Rose interjected while she could, sounding sympathetic, or at least trying to.

 

"Tell me about it!" Dalene screamed. "I chased after her to try to get the camera, but the f*****g b***h locked herself in another room and Beth demanded I get the hell out or else she'd call the cops, and I was like call the cops? You're the ones who invited me here so you could play this sick joke on me! So the sick b***h insists I crashed her party and that I better leave, but as I told her, if I find out anyone's seen those pictures, she's minced meat."

 

Dalene picked up her toast, turned around to lean back against the counter, then chomped into the toast as if she were just as angry at it.

 

The others sat in silence.

 

"You say it's Beth Ashton and Julia Drake?" Rose finally asked.

 

"Yeah," Dalene said with a nod. "The a******s live in the first house in row D with some mousy chick they call Gertie."

 

"I'm surprised. They always seemed cool," Rose added.

 

"Yeah right!" snapped Dalene. "Cool my a*s."

 

When Ashley decided she was too hungry to continue to stand around and listen to Dalene anymore, she went to the cabinet to pull a box of cereal from it. She had no sympathy for the girl. Not only did she accuse her of stealing her shirt, she also never apologized for her false accusation once she'd learned that she had simply dropped the damn shirt in the utility area.

 

Dalene looked over at Ashley, now sensing her animosity. Taking her last bite of toast, she turned and left the room, leaving the others to roll their eyes behind her.

 

"She really brightens up a room just by leaving it," Nicolette said.

 

Rose giggled while Ashley and Katelyn smiled knowingly.

 

After Ashley finished her cereal, she asked Katelyn if she were planning to use their established bathroom.

 

"No," she said shaking her head. "I've already showered."

 

Ashley then went to take her own shower. When she was done, she threw on a pair of jeans and a pink short-sleeved knit top. She then applied a touch of makeup and brushed out her long hair. When it was knot-free, she put it back in a braid and stepped out into the hall. Nicolette and Katelyn's doors were now closed. She headed towards Katelyn's room, glancing left along the way into the kitchen, then right into the living room. No one was present. She assumed Dalene and Rose had left the house, which would explain the bang she'd heard while in the shower. Dalene made it a regular practice to slam the door when she came and went.

 

When she approached Katelyn's door, she rapped softly.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"It's me, Katelyn."

 

"Come on in."

 

Ashley entered the room to find Katelyn sitting on her partially made bed propped up on a pillow, paperback in hand. She too, wore jeans; only she had on a dark purple top to go with it. She was a turn-on even in casual clothes and not much makeup. Ashley admired the way she did her makeup. With her looks and coloring, the effect was stunning.

 

"Hi, sweetie. What's up?" she asked with a bright white smile.

 

"Oh, not much. I was just wondering what you were doing today."

 

Katelyn set her book aside, still holding a touch of that brilliant smile. "Why, I can be doing whatever you'd like me to be doing. Want to go out somewhere?"

 

"Sure, if you're not busy."

 

"I'm never busy on weekends."

 

"You don't feel the need to be alone after dealing with so many people all week?" Ashley asked.

 

Katelyn appeared to consider this, then said, "No, not as long as you're the one I'm hanging out with."

 

Ashley smiled while Katelyn got her sneakers on. "Where to, Miss?" she asked, now standing upright.

 

"You lead, I'll follow."

 

"Okay, why don't you go grab your purse or anything else you don't want to leave lying around here, then we'll take off somewhere," said Katelyn, stuffing a woman's wallet into the pocket of the black suede fringed jacket she now had on.

 

God, she looks hot, thought Ashley. She looks tough, but not mean. Just what I apparently like in a woman. "Sure," she said, temporarily checking her appreciation.

 

Yet Katelyn had caught the lustful look in Ashley's eyes before she left the room. That was okay, for she was sure she had been thinking the same dirty thoughts as Ashley had, yet Katelyn needed more in a relationship than just sex.

 

Wait a minute. Were they actually in a relationship?

 

Katelyn thought about it a moment. Yeah, I guess we are, she finally concluded. If we can continue to get along this way and have great sex too, while we're at it, then why not?

 

Katelyn glanced at herself in the mirror and grinned a silly grin, enthralled by the idea of Ashley being her girl.

 

Ashley exited her room just as Katelyn exited hers.

 

"So why did your mother wait till her mid-thirties to have you?" Ashley asked as they casually strode towards the strip mall while she studied their surroundings as well as Katelyn. It was a cool yet sunny day. Birds fluttered about. "Did she just want a life before you took it over?"

 

"No," Katelyn said with a chuckle. "According to her, it took her that long to not only find a decent man but to find one who was willing to have kids, so that's what took me and my sister Loretta so long to enter her life."

 

A man slowly cruised by, checking them out as he passed.

 

"Pervert," Ashley muttered.

 

Again Katelyn chuckled. "My, you're an outspoken one."

 

"You could say that. So just what is it with men being so afraid of responsibility anyway?"

 

"It isn't just that. A lot of them don't want the competition, you know? They want a woman's undivided attention. As my mother always told me before she realized I was gay, Katelyn, if you want to marry and have kids, you better make darn sure that man really wants those kids because a man will tell a woman anything to get her to marry him. And this is coming from a woman who's as straight as a ruler."

 

"Regardless of the fact that I've always been attracted to women, I'd say most men are selfish, spoiled little wimps," Ashley stated in a matter-of-fact tone of voice which Katelyn found amusing. She admired the open bluntness and the spunky energy this sweet little lady possessed.

 

"Do you want any someday?" Ashley asked her. "I mean, we are living in a time where women are encouraged to skip the family and go straight for the careers."

 

Katelyn looked thoughtful a moment. "Well, if I never have any, and I probably won't, it won't be because of what the going lifestyle is, but because I choose not to have them. What about you?"

 

"Nah, I don't think so. I'm a little selfish and spoiled."

 

Katelyn laughed. "How's that?"

 

"Well, the idea of regular 3 AM wake-up calls isn't exactly appealing to me. Neither is having to pass up spontaneous outings."

 

"Then I guess we're a good match."

 

Ashley turned her head sharply towards Katelyn. "Seriously?"

 

"I am if you are and if you don't think we're moving too fast," Katelyn said with a smile.

 

"No, not at all. I'd love to be your girl," Ashley said, smiling back.

 

"Good. Now that that's settled, let's decide where to go from here."

 

Ashley stopped and looked at the neat row of stores. "Well, I didn't have much of a breakfast.

Want to stop for a bite to eat at the coffee shop?"

 

"Sure, we can do that. Dalene lightened up my breakfast pretty well, too."

 

They laughed and headed down to the coffee shop at the end of the strip.

 

Ashley looked around her as they walked. She studied the dozen or so people that were going in and out of the stores. "You know," she began, "I look around me and I wonder, could any of these people be the one who attacked me and killed that poor girl?"

 

Katelyn glanced about at the people as well and considered the idea. "Let's hope not," she said dubiously.

 

"Think it's some student from your all-American dysfunctional family or an outsider or what?"

 

"Don't know."

 

They entered the pleasantly warm coffee shop. A heavyset African-American woman sat at the counter. She was the only one present, so it seemed. There were curlers still in her hair as if to suggest she was too lazy to pull them out when she'd gotten up this morning. Ashley thought she looked ridiculous.

 

Ashley and Katelyn took seats in a nearby booth. Not long afterward a redheaded waitress snapping loudly on a piece of gum appeared from in back. "G'mornin'. What can I getcha?"

 

They decided on ham and cheese omelets. The waitress then gathered their menus and headed off to place the order with the cook, disappearing in back once again.

 

After a few minutes, the African-American woman called out to the waitress.

 

Nobody came.

 

"Hey," she called again, growing impatient. "I asked for more coffee ages ago."

 

The waitress still did not appear.

 

Ashley reached for some sugar for her coffee only to find the sugar dispenser was empty.

 

"Hey, I'm calling you. Are you deaf?" yelled the woman even louder.

 

Ashley's ears rung painfully from the woman's shouts. Then, noticing that the dispensers along the counter were full, she stood up and headed for one of them just as the huge woman stood up as well to reach over the counter for the coffeepot where Ashley stood. Suddenly, she was roughly shoved aside.

 

"Excuse you," said the woman in an impatient, irritated tone of voice.

 

Ashley stared at her a moment with both shock and disgust. Then, without warning yet with lightning speed, she shot out a clenched fist and boxed the woman square in the temple.

 

The large woman staggered a few steps and then went down with a mighty thud.

 

"No," Ashley said. "Excuse you."

 

Katelyn stood up, amazed at what she'd just seen. "Come on, let's go," she said, ushering Ashley out of the store. "If she gets up too soon, you never know if she may pull a gun on you, so let's go!"

 

They managed to get a few yards out the door when the thunderous wave of cussing and threats began, prompting them to move faster. The woman was so big that she couldn't run very fast anyway and she was obviously still in pain, holding the side of her head as she continued to scream out a flurry of threats and profanity that hurt Ashley's ears even with the fifty or so feet they now had between them.

 

The two didn't stop to catch their breath until they entered the campus grounds.

 

Katelyn was the first to speak. "Ashley, I know that woman was a rude b***h, but why hit someone who isn't trying to harm you?" She continued to breathe heavily, eyeing Ashley expectantly.

 

"You spend enough years down here at my height getting shoved around and you just might react that way, too."

 

Katelyn seemed to weigh Ashley's words in her mind. Then she said, "Yeah, well, I guess I can't say I wouldn't want to pop someone in the head myself if they gave me such a rude push like that."

 

 

Chapter 6

 

They continued to head back toward the house. Because their house was on the corner by the street, they could see the detectives out front talking with Rose long before they approached the house. As they got closer, they could see from the expression on Rose's face that the detectives hadn't come with good news.

 

Ashley and Katelyn looked at each other.

 

"What do you suppose is going on?" Ashley asked Katelyn.

 

"Don't have a clue. Perhaps it's just a routine follow-up."

 

It was the same two detectives who had questioned them after the girl was murdered in the first row of houses. One was a young chubby blond woman with her hair pulled back so tightly in a bun that it looked almost painful. Her icy gray eyes were very serious looking. The other was a tall, lanky sandy-haired man in his forties with dark, sad looking eyes.

 

"Good morning, ladies," said the man.

 

"Hello," said Katelyn. "What's up?"

 

The detectives studied Ashley and Katelyn.

 

"I'm afraid there's been another murder, this time in row D," the woman said, watching their reaction.

 

"Oh, no," Ashley moaned. This really escalated her concerns with campus safety. She felt herself tremble.

 

"That's horrible," said Katelyn. "Who…"

 

"I had to tell them," Rose interrupted, sounding a bit uncertain.

 

"Tell them what?" asked Katelyn.

 

"About Dalene."

 

"Dalene?" Katelyn asked with a confused frown.

 

The man spoke again. "The name of the woman who was killed is Beth Ashton."

 

"My God!" Ashley and Katelyn said at once.

 

"It apparently happened late last night," the detective continued.

 

"What about the others in the house?" asked Katelyn.

 

"She was alone, I'm afraid. Only three people resided in that particular house." The detective glanced at his notes. "A Miss Julia Drake and a Gertrude Doll." He looked back up at Ashley and Katelyn. "Miss Drake was at her boyfriend's all night and Miss Doll was called home on account of a family emergency. Their alibis checked out."

 

Ashley and Katelyn thoughtfully absorbed the detective's words.

 

The lady detective spoke up again. "We spoke to Miss Nicolette Carey on her way out, but Miss Andreas here tells us that a Miss Dalene Wilson, who also resides with you, was rather angry at this individual. Is this true?"

 

"Yes," said Katelyn, "she was definitely angry at Beth. Same with Julia. They took some rather steamy pictures of her with some guy, according to what she told us."

 

"And where is Miss Wilson now? Do either of you know?"

 

Ashley shook her head.

 

"No, I'm afraid not. She's hardly ever here," Katelyn told them.

 

"You three were home last night?" the detective asked.

 

Ashley and Katelyn nodded as did Rose which surprised Ashley a bit, though she really didn't think much of it at the time. It's just that she could've sworn her door was open and her room was dark just like Dalene's was when she left Katelyn's room to return to hers. The girls always closed their doors when they were in their rooms.

 

"Okay," said the man, "before we go, remember to keep the doors locked at all times and not to open them if someone comes knocking without verifying who the person is first. If you have any concerns or suspicions, don't hesitate to dial 911. Keep in mind too, that there is always safety in numbers, so stick together and consider staying in after dark."

 

"Okay," said the girls.

 

"We'd also like it if someone would have Miss Wilson call the number on this card as soon as she gets in."

 

Rose took the card.

 

The woman spoke again. "It might also be best if you didn't mention to Miss Wilson that you told us about the threats you said she made. You just never know," she added with an unfortunate look on her face.

 

The girls agreed, looking glum, and the detectives took off for the house next door to continue with their questioning of students. They looked at each other, unsure of what to make of the situation.

 

Finally, Ashley spoke up. "My aunt's going to be so worried when she hears about this one."

 

"I can just imagine what my folks will be like, too," said Katelyn.

 

Rose remained silent.

 

 

It wasn't until after dinner that both Dalene and Nicolette finally entered the house. Ashley, Katelyn and Rose had been watching a movie with Rose in the easy chair and Ashley nestled up comfortably against Katelyn on the couch.

 

"Have you two become an item?" Rose asked with a smile.

 

Ashley and Katelyn chuckled.

 

"You could say that," Katelyn told her.

 

Rose didn't seem the least bit put off by the idea of Ashley and Katelyn being a couple, though the two wouldn't have cared if she had.

 

Nicolette acted as if she didn't notice their closeness, but Dalene occasionally eyed them a bit strangely as Rose informed them of what happened. She didn't seem the least bit surprised or upset by the news, as Rose handed her the detective's card so she could call him.

 

"But I don't have any information to give them. This is the first I've heard of it. I've been with

Johnny all day."

 

"Better call them anyway," Katelyn said, "It may make you look suspicious if you don't."

 

With the movie just about over, Ashley, Katelyn, Rose and Nicolette retreated to their rooms and let Dalene have the living room to herself to make the round of nightly calls she usually made when she was at the house.

 

Ashley and Katelyn had phoned their families earlier. They were, as expected, quite upset over the news. Ashley's aunt had even suggested she consider leaving, assuring her that she could pick up with her studies elsewhere. However, Ashley had insisted on staying put at least for now. If it wasn't for Katelyn she might want to take her aunt's advice. But she was fast falling for Katelyn and the thought of leaving her bummed her out. It would be bad enough as it was with her returning to Las Cruces once she graduated. Who knew what would happen then? Katelyn might very well forget about her, given the distance between Las Cruces and Belen, and decide to get on with her life, which would ultimately mean finding someone new. Until then, Ashley was determined to savor each and every moment she could have with her until their time together ran out.

 

A soft knock on her door jarred her from her thoughts. She glanced at her clock. It was almost 10:30. "Yes?" she called out.

 

It was Katelyn.

 

Ashley opened the door. Katelyn was already in her sleep shirt as was she.

 

"I was hoping you'd come," Ashley said.

 

A slight suggestive smile formed on Katelyn's lips. "Yeah?"

 

Ashley nodded. "Come on in."

 

Katelyn stepped into the room and Ashley closed the door.

 

"Actually," Katelyn began, hands clasped together in front of her, "I was wondering if you'd like to spend the night with me in my room."

 

Ashley felt a smile began to form on her lips.

 

"I thought that with my room being a little more secluded and what with these killings going on that you might feel a bit more comfortable with me. I know I'd certainly feel better knowing you were close by."

 

"I'd feel much more than just a bit comfortable with you," Ashley told her. "Let me just grab my pillow and my purse."

 

"Sure."

 

Ashley grabbed the pillow and purse and followed Katelyn to her room, closing her door behind her to make it at least appear like she was in her room in case anyone got the bright idea to go snooping around. She was especially wary of Dalene, considering that one of the girls she had threatened had just been killed.

 

Upon entering Katelyn's room, Ashley was overcome by a wonderful flowery aroma. "Ahhh, smells good in here."

 

"It's jasmine incense. You like the smell of jasmine?"

 

"I do now." Ashley eyed the smoking stick that sat in a holder on the desk. "It's a rather romantic scent."

 

"Yeah, I think so, too," said Katelyn as Ashley tossed the pillow on the bed and placed her purse on the desk. Ashley then strode towards Katelyn and wrapped her arms around the girl's slim waist, running the palms of her hands lovingly up and down her back.

 

"Ooh, what did I do to deserve this?" Katelyn asked.

 

Ashley giggled as Katelyn returned the embrace.

 

This time Ashley led Katelyn, first by pulling her lips towards hers for a sweet, passionate kiss, then by tugging her long T-shirt upwards.

 

Katelyn got the message and finished taking off the shirt on her own as Ashley slipped her own shirt up over her head. They tossed the shirts aside.

 

Ashley slipped her fingers under the elastic waistband of Katelyn's panties and slid them down over her hips where Katelyn took over and slipped them down and off completely.

 

With Ashley's panties now off as well, she sat down at the foot of the roomy twin-size bed and spread her legs, her sex invitingly wide open to Katelyn. When Katelyn dropped to her knees, Ashley took hold of one of her hands, inserted her long index and middle fingers into her p***y, then laid back and allowed her to take over from there.

 

Katelyn was delighted to do so too, admiring the wet, silky warmth of Ashley's tight p***y as her fingers glided in and out of it. With her free hand, she roamed the creamy smoothness of Ashley's inner thighs. She watched as her fingers slid in and out of Ashley. Their breathing became heavier, their need greater.

 

Katelyn slipped out of Ashley and stood up to her full height, licking her fingers of Ashley's sweet nectar as she did so. "Scoot back," she told her.

 

Ashley shimmied up so that her head was close to their pillows and spread her legs in eager anticipation of what was to come.

 

Katelyn positioned herself above Ashley and rubbed her p***y against hers. It felt like heaven as the two clung desperately to one another. In no time at all Ashley felt herself nearing the throes of ecstasy as Katelyn's movements became quicker and more frantic. This time she was the one to throw a hand over her mouth to keep from crying out. Her body shuddered beneath Katelyn's. Their bodies had become one, hearts beating as one. Katelyn trembled with sweet relief as a light film of sweat broke out upon her smooth, firm body.

 

They prepared to fall asleep that night on their sides with Ashley's back pressed firmly against Katelyn's stomach. Katelyn held her in a snug embrace, kissing her tenderly as well as playfully. To Ashley, Katelyn's hold was tight and secure. It made her feel safe, wanted and happy as she drifted across the line between wakefulness and sleep.

 

And then it happened. She thought she was dreaming at first, but when she opened her eyes and gazed at the glowing red digital numbers of the clock, which said it was just past three, she knew she wasn't dreaming.

 

The voices were real.

 

And they were definitely outside the window.

 

She strained to make out what was being said but wasn't able to. There was another sound accompanied by the voices. It was a strange hissing sound of sorts.

 

Ashley turned towards Katelyn and nudged her urgently. "Katelyn!" she whispered loudly.

 

"Wh-yeah? What is it, babe?"

 

"Shhh, listen. Hear the voices outside?"

 

Katelyn listened as she rolled onto her back with a yawn and brushed her bangs back off her forehead.

 

All was silent.

 

"I don't hear anything, hun," said Katelyn after a minute, rubbing the palm of her hand over

Ashley's back and shoulders in a soothing, circular motion. "You're just a little jumpy because of what's been going on, but you're okay. I'll take care of you."

 

The voices began again. This time they came closer, growing louder with their approach.

 

"Oh, that's just the security guard and the walkie-talkie they carry," Katelyn said with assurance.

 

Ashley breathed a sigh of relief. "Now that it's closer I can tell what it is. I'm sorry I panicked and got you up for nothing."

 

"It's okay, sweetie. You did the right thing."

 

Katelyn gathered Ashley into her arms and the two once again drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

© 2018 Jodi


Author's Note

Jodi
While feedback about the story itself is welcomed, I'm especially interested in any discrepancies or spelling and grammatical errors. If anyone who is kind enough to read this spots any, please point them out to me. Thanks in advance!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on February 16, 2018
Last Updated on February 16, 2018
Tags: Lesbian, suspense, mystery, thriller

Author

Jodi
Jodi

CA



About
Liberal, married writer in NorCal with three pet rats. more..