Sacrifices

Sacrifices

A Poem by Dr Joe
"

A man reflects back on his choices in life and discovers his sacrifices to achieve his goals make him question his decisions.

"
Sacrifices

In my twenties I wanted to begin my journey in life, so I sacrificed my youth and the joys of freedom.

In my thirties I wanted to be successful, so I sacrificed time with family and friends in order to peruse my career goals.

In my forties I wanted to be wealthy, so I sacrificed many of my ideals, my beliefs, and principles to acquire riches.

In my fifties I wanted to be powerful, so I sacrificed camaraderie and friendship for control.

In my sixties I wanted to be respected, but I was only feared instead.

In my seventies I wanted to be recognized for my achievements, but they were all personal accomplishments that benefited me alone, so I was the only one who saw value in them.

In my eighties I wanted to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of success with my family and friends, but they had long ago gone away.

In my final days I did not want to be alone, but sadly there was no one left to share their time with me.

© 2021 Dr Joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A tragic offering, reminiscent of mythology, The Bible or Shakespeare in its topic. Worldly success can be momentarily gratifying, but if it becomes an idol its trajectory leads to pain. The trophies are nice, but they tarnish in the end.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
1 Review
Added on May 29, 2021
Last Updated on May 29, 2021