The Legend of Piedmont Cove

The Legend of Piedmont Cove

A Story by Joey Hubbard
"

A rock band group of high school graduates decide to travel across the country to stay together as friends and a band, and they eventually end up in a small town that nobody believes exists.

"

The Legend of Piedmont Cove

By

Joey Hubbard

3/11/08

 

 

Have you ever heard the legend of Piedmont Cove? Do you even know what Piedmont Cove is? Piedmont Cove is a small suburban town hidden somewhere in Indiana. They say it’s a place that cannot be found except by those who already know where it is. Why can’t it be found you might ask? No one really knows. Some people might call it a small hole-in-the-wall town. Others refer to it as a town that time forgot. Most people even go so far as to call it the kind of town that you don’t drive to, but the kind of town that you drive through. Just like the legend of the infamous Route 66, very few people believe in it. To this date, the only people who believe in Piedmont Cove are the people who are silly or foolish enough to live there. The population alone is less than fifteen. The people who do live there describe it as a place that you go to escape life. It’s a place where you have no worries, no troubles, no problems, no responsibilities, and everyone knows each other. But I’m getting off the topic. This story isn’t all about Piedmont Cove. This story is mainly about a young man named Adam T. Logan and his struggling journey towards finding the right path to adulthood, love, family, friendship, fame and fortune. The journey is what would eventually lead him to Piedmont Cove.

 

Some time ago, Adam T. Logan (the T. stands for Tyler) was just another average everyday high school student growing up in Milwaukee Wisconsin with hopes of someday becoming a famous musician and singer. Now Adam didn’t come from a well-to-do family, but he didn’t come from a broken family either. He came from an in-between type of family (the kind of family with parents that could always afford to give their kids the things they never had as children). His parents had divorced when he was six years old. When he was seven, his dad remarried after falling in love with a woman named Isobel Scotts, who had a daughter of her own named Jennifer “Jen” Scotts, so he gained a new stepmom and stepsister. During his senior year in high school, he, Jen and six of his closest friends formed their own rock band. They called themselves Adam and The Alley Cat Blues. The band consisted of him as the lead singer and lead guitarist, his best friend Eric Myers on electric guitar, Wesley “Wes” Collins on drums, Lucas Kendall on keyboard, Tori Hanson was the bassist and Katie Walker was the tambourine player. Tori and Katie were also the backup singers. Jen was also a backup singer and the songwriter. Adam’s last friend Trip Regis was the special effects technician for the band. Trip also played the saxophone in the band every once in a while. They were more than just a band though; they all were the best of friends. Adam and Eric had known each other since the first grade. They met Wes, Lucas, and Trip when they were in the fifth grade, and they had met Tori and Katie during their freshman year in high school. Wes and Tori began dating during their sophomore year and Lucas and Katie began dating around the same time. Trip developed a crush on Jen during their junior year, but he could never get up the nerve to tell her, so Adam eventually told her for him. The eight of them had been close friends ever since.

 

It was less than three weeks before graduation day and each of them had no idea about what would become of each other after that day. They wondered, “Would the pressures of college and summer jobs force their band apart, or would the bitterness of adulthood simply pull them apart no matter what?” Adam, who had always been somewhat of a natural born leader, was determined to make sure that they stayed together no matter what the cause. He decided to spend some time over the next few days thinking and considering what ideas he might have and which could possibly be the best of them all.

 

 One day while they were in his garage having a rehearsal, Adam said to them, “Hey you guys, let’s settle down for a minute. I want to ask you guys something.” Wes struck a riff on his drums to get everyone to quiet down. Eric stopped plinking and asked, “What’s up Adam T.?” Adam cleared his throat and said, “As you all know, in less than two weeks we’re all going to graduate from high school and we’ll have to move on with our lives and all that, right?” Lucas struck a few keys and said, “I hope you’re going somewhere good with this A.T.L, because if you’re not then I see no point in listening to this conversation.” Wes added, “I’m with Lucas on this one man.” A.T.L was the band’s personal nickname for Adam because they were his initials. Katie said, “Why don’t you guys just keep quiet and listen to what our leader has to say? After all he is the one that brought us together, and he’s also the one that keeps us together.” Trip added, “Yeah you guys, settle down and listen to our buddy.” Adam replied, “Katie and Trip. Thank you both very much for looking out for me, now what was I saying? Oh yeah, what I want to suggest is that after grad week, why don’t we all just pack up our gear and band equipment, and take a little cross country road trip across the Midwest? If you guys think about it, it could really be a lot of fun. I mean after this summer is over, some of us are gonna go off to college or get full-time jobs and we’ll only get to see each other on holidays, weekends and on our birthdays if we’re lucky. This could be the last chance we have to be together as a band. It could also be our last chance to spend real quality time with each other and have some real rock n roll fun. What do you think guys?” Tori didn’t have to think twice because she immediately stood up and said, “Adam, I’m in!” Katie stood up next, raised her tambourine in the air and said, “You can count on me to come along.” Wes stood up with both drumsticks raised in the air and said, “As Fleetwood Mac once said, “I wanna be with you everywhere.” I’m definitely in.” Eric plinked a few notes on his guitar and said, “I’m with you all the way buddy.” Lucas slowly got up and said, “I will tag along too my friend. There’s no doubt in my mind about that.” Trip said, “I’m behind you 100% of the way my brother from another mother.” Jen stood up and asked, “What kind of songwriter and band member would I be if I didn’t come along?” Adam replied, “Okay then, it’s decided. After graduation week, we’ll put all of our gear and band equipment together in my dad’s truck, gather up all the money we have, and then we’ll pack up all our clothes, and hit the road for the summer.”

 

Over the course of the next week, Adam and the others spent a lot of time rehearsing and talking about where they would go and what they would do. The reason they continued to rehearse was because Miles Warren, their school principal had asked them to perform at the prom and at the graduation ceremony next week. They had decided to work their way south towards Illinois and Indiana and eventually work their way into Michigan and Ohio. Other than that, they spent the entire week learning some new songs they’d written for the prom and they spent two days working on a new rock n roll rendition of “Pomp and Circumstance.”

 

Finally, it was Sunday, the night of the school prom. Wes, Lucas, and Trip were all going with Tori, Katie, and Jen, but Eric and Adam unfortunately were unable to get dates for the prom that night, but it didn’t matter to them all that much anyway. They were going to be too busy setting up their band equipment for the night. They had even offered to let Katie, Tori, and Jen sing a few songs that night, which they were all too happy to pass up. Adam and Eric spent most of the afternoon setting up the equipment on the stage in the school gym. After they finished setting up shop, they both went to the nearest restrooms to change into their tuxedos. Eric was wearing a complete tux, but Adam was only wearing a pair of tuxedo pants and a jacket along with a button-down shirt and a pair of black Converse sneakers. He even put on a black haberdasher to top it off (because for one thing he hated to wear ties and he had never been one of those natty-daddy dressers anyway). Then they called up the rest of the gang to tell them to meet them at the gym as soon as possible.

 

The rest of the gang arrived at the school around a quarter to 5:00. They were checking the stage for any safety hazards when Principal Warren walked in and told them (much to their relief) that they wouldn’t have to perform right away because he thought the rest of the juniors and seniors would want to listen and dance to some real dance music. The reason that the gang was relieved was because that would give them a chance to dance too. Adam gave a disappointed sigh, sat down on the stage, picked up his guitar and began plinking on it. Eric sighed too and sat down next to Adam. Wes, Lucas, and Trip knew why they were disappointed. It was because they would be the only ones without anyone to dance with during the prom. They sat down next to Eric and Adam. Lucas said, “Hey Adam? I know you and Eric are upset about not having anyone to dance with. But if you want, we can ask Katie and Tori if they’ll dance with you for awhile, isn’t that right Wes?” Wes replied, “Absolutely man. Tori and Katie love you guys just as much as they love us, and I’m sure they won’t have a problem about dancing with you guys.” Eric said, “That’s very nice of you guys to offer that, but they’re your girlfriends and your dates and it wouldn’t feel right to us, right Adam?” All Adam could do was nod and continue plinking the guitar.

 

The juniors and seniors started arriving around 6:00. The music was playing softly throughout the gym. Everyone was slow dancing with their dates. Adam and Eric were over at the buffet table observing the activity. By now, they were officially the only ones without dates at the prom. Adam said to Eric, “I’m gonna step out for a minute man. Do you wanna join me?” Eric nodded and they both headed out the front door. Katie saw them head out and decided to check on them when she got the chance.

 

They walked up the stairs and Adam opened a door with a sign that said, “Rooftop access. Maintenance only.” and began to climb up the ladder with Eric right behind him. The roof had become a little bit of a hangout spot for them since the beginning of their senior year. The reason they had access was because at the beginning of the year, when they told Principal Warren about starting their own band, he gave them a roof access key after they asked if they could use the roof to rehearse after school hours. Adam and Eric both climbed out of the roof access panel and sat down on top of a steel air duct. For a while they just sat there watching the stars come out in the night sky and neither of the boys said anything to each other, mostly because they felt like they had nothing to talk about. Finally, Adam broke the ice and said, “Man, this whole thing really sucks doesn’t it? I mean it was bad enough having to go to our junior prom without dates, and now this is even worse.” Eric replied, “Who’re you telling? And you know what makes it worse even more? We could be down there right now dancing with Katie and Tori like we got to do the last time.” Adam said, “I know Eric, but I didn’t wanna go through that whole sympathy thing again. You know that’s what it was right? They were only gonna dance with us because Wes and the others felt sorry for us, and they thought they’d be sympathetic. I mean, if I was that desperate, I’d rather take my chances and dance with Jen all night.” Eric replied, “I know, but do you know what makes it worst of all? We are gonna graduate and be the only ones in this school who didn’t get any all year.” Adam pointed at Eric and said, “There now, that right there, that’s exactly why it’s a good thing that we’re taking that little road trip of ours. I guarantee right now my friend; you and I will get lucky and find love on this little trip.”

 

Meanwhile, downstairs in the gym, the music was almost done playing and the principal was getting ready to announce Adam and the others to the stage. By now Lucas and Trip had honeycombed the entire gym and didn’t find hide or hair of Adam and Eric. They went back to Wes and the girls and Trip said, “We checked the whole gym and we can’t find either of them.” Tori asked, “You guys don’t think they got so upset that they left the school do you?” Lucas shook his head and replied, “No way. Adam and Eric would never do that to us. The band means everything to them. Heck, we mean everything to them.” Jen looked at Katie and asked, “Katie, did you see Adam or Eric leave the room?” Katie replied, “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you guys. I saw both of them walk out the gym door a little while ago.” Wes said, “I think I know where they are. They must’ve gone up to the roof. Jen, you go and tell Principal Warren to wait a little longer to announce us while we go upstairs and get our two lead guitarists.”

 

Wes, Lucas, Trip, Katie and Tori all headed upstairs. Wes opened the roof access door and climbed up the ladder with Lucas and Trip right behind him. Tori and Katie stayed by the door because they couldn’t climb the ladder in their long gowns. Wes pushed open the access panel and practically jumped onto the roof. Then he reached out his hand to pull up Lucas, and then he did the same for Trip. Adam and Eric were still wrapped up in their conversation and they hadn’t noticed any of the guys. Wes cleared his throat to get their attention. They both turned around and Adam said, “Oh, hi guys. What happened, did the prom get too boring for the rest of you?” Wes shook his head and Trip said, “No actually. We just came up here to tell you guys that the principal is going to announce us up on stage in a few minutes, so you two need to get your butts in gear and we all need to get back downstairs.” Adam and Eric slid off the air duct and all five of them walked back to the access panel. Adam led the way and Trip brought up the rear. Adam lifted the access panel and all five of the boys began descending the ladder. Trip went first, and then Wes, Lucas, and Eric went next. Adam went down last. He took a few steps down, locked the access panel, and climbed the rest of the way down.

 

The seven of them quickly headed downstairs and back to the gym. Trip went to double check the smoke machines and the rest of them took to the stage. The principal and Jen went up to the stage as well. Mr. Warren tapped the microphone to see if it was on. He softly spoke into it, “Testing 1, 2, 3. Good evening Nicolet high school. Tonight, we are proud and honored to present in their first onstage appearance, Adam and The Alley Cat Blues!”

 

The principal stepped down and Adam stepped forward and said, “Hello Nicolet High! Is everybody having fun tonight?” The whole room exploded with cheers and applause. Adam said, “Okay everybody. We’re gonna start off small with some hits of yesterdays and then we’re gonna rock out loud.” They started off by playing a pop rendition of Silhouettes, followed by Message in a Bottle, I Melt with You, Jessie’s Girl, Summer in the City, Everybody wants to Rule the World, One Thing Leads to Another, Our Time Now, Hey There Delilah, Dirty Little Secret, Move Along, Be My Escape, Found Out About You, and You Wanted More. While they performed, Trip turned on the smoke machines one by one, and the smoke blew all over the stage. After playing fourteen songs in a row, Adam spoke into the mike and said, “Yeah! Did ya’ll enjoy that?” The room was buzzing with applause and shouts of, “Encore! Encore! Encore!” Adam said, “You guys want an encore? Well we’ll give you an encore. But, unfortunately my fellow students, my voice is feeling a little low so I don’t think I can sing anymore tonight. But do not fear; because we asked our three lovely ladies to sing tonight as well and now they are gonna take it from here. So without further ado, let’s all give it up for Jennifer “Jen” Scotts, Katie Walker, and Tori Hanson!”

 

Katie, Tori, and Jen picked up their microphones and stepped to the center of the stage. Tori stood on the right, Katie stood on the left, and Jen stood in the middle. Jen spoke into the microphone, “Okay Nicolet high, now it’s time to really (as Hannah Montana puts it) pump up the party!” They started playing again and the girls sang wonderfully. They started with Let’s Hear it for the Boy, followed by Dancing Queen, Mamma Mia, Can’t Stop the World, Just What I Needed, No Ordinary Girl, A Thousand Miles, Linger, Sway, Kiss Me, I Just Can’t Help Myself, Pieces of Me, A Public Affair, and they topped it off with You’re Still the One. Trip carried one of the handheld smoke machines around the stage while the girls were singing. He was hoping it would be enough to spark up the ambience.

 

By the time the girls had finished singing, it was 11:00 at night, the exact time that the prom was meant to end. The crowd began to slowly file out through the front and rear doors of the gym. Adam stepped up and said, “Thank you all for a wonderful evening and for being a wonderful audience everybody. We’ll see you all on Wednesday for graduation and on Thursday for yearbook signatures. One more thing everyone, I’d like you to take a good look at me and my friends here. Memorize our faces, because the next time you see us, we just might be on the cover of our first debut album.” The students looked back at them and raised their arms in acknowledgement.

 

After the rest of the students left the gym, Adam and the others began closing up shop. Trip packed up the smoke machines, Adam, Eric, and Tori put their guitars in their carrying pouches, and Lucas put his keyboard in its case. Adam said to Jen, “Hey Jen? Would you do us a favor?” Before she could answer, Adam reached into his pocket, pulled out his keys and tossed them to her. He asked, “Could you bring the truck around to the front of the school so we could start loading up our equipment?” She nodded and headed out the gym door. Katie asked, “What about me? What do you want me to do?” Adam replied, “You? I know what; you, Tori and Trip can carry the rest of the equipment out to the front door while Eric, Lucas, and I help Wes with his drums.” Katie picked up her tambourine, Adam’s guitar and Lucas’ keyboard, Trip carried the smoke machines, and Tori carried hers and Eric’s guitars. Wes tucked the drumsticks in his pocket and picked up the cymbals, Eric carried the tom drum, Lucas carried the bass drum, and Adam carried the snare drum.

 

Before Adam could walk out the door, Mr. Warren came up to him and said, “That was a wonderful show Adam, and it was worth every penny.” Adam asked, “What do you mean sir?” He replied by reaching into his pocket and pulling out a big roll of money. He unrolled it and pulled out six separate dollar bills. He had a $50, two $20s, and three $10 bills in his hand which he handed to Adam. Adam was shocked and said, “Oh no sir, we can’t accept this money. We didn’t ask to be paid for this.” Mr. Warren replied, “I know Adam, but you and your friends earned this money. That’s why I’m paying you for it. Also, I thought you might want to know that I’m going to cancel school for tomorrow because I’m sure that you, your friends, and all of the juniors and seniors will be too tired to come tomorrow anyway.” Adam said, “Thank you very much sir. We’ll see you on Tuesday then.” Adam turned and headed out the door with the snare drum in his right hand and the money in his left hand.

 

By now, Jen had brought the truck around, and everyone had loaded their equipment into the back. The truck was a black 2001 Chevy Trailblazer. There was a small trailer hitched to the back of it for all of their instruments to be placed in. Eric had gone back inside to get his extra clothes and Adam’s extra clothes. He didn’t watch where he was going, and he nearly bumped into Adam and the snare drum. Adam asked, “Hey man, what’s the big rush?” Eric replied, “I’m sorry man. I was just going to get our clothes. I wanna get out of this tux.” Adam said, “Yeah me too.” Just then, Trip came back inside to get a drink of water. Adam looked at him and said, “Hey Trip. Can you do me and Eric a favor?” Trip wiped his mouth with his sleeve and said, “Sure, what’s up?” Eric replied, “Would you carry the snare drum out for us while Adam and I go change into our regular clothes?” Trip nodded and said, “No problem my buddies.” He picked up the drum and walked back outside. Adam went into the restroom first and changed back into his regular clothes; blue jeans, a sleeveless shirt, a button-down striped shirt, and a leather vest. The only things he kept on were his sneakers and the haberdasher. Eric went in next and changed as well. He stepped out wearing a pair of camouflage jeans, white Nike shoes, a blue Nike t-shirt, and a silk jacket. They both folded their tuxes and walked out of the school.

 

Adam and Eric put their tuxes underneath the backseat. Adam looked and saw that there were three other overnight bags with clothes in them, and there were supposed to be five. From the looks of the contents in the bags, they must’ve belonged to Wes, Lucas, and Trip. Adam turned around and said, “Katie, Tori, would you both come here a minute?” They both walked over to him and Katie asked, “What’s wrong Adam?” Adam replied by asking, “Where are your overnight bags?” Tori asked, “What overnight bags?” Adam said in disgust, “Aww, don’t tell me you girls forgot about the party.” Again, Tori asked, “What? What party?” Adam sighed and said, “The post-prom party we agreed to have at my house tonight. Don’t you remember? We were gonna order pizza, watch some movies, and play some games. Does any of that ring a bell?” Katie replied, “Oh yeah, that party. I’m sorry Adam. I guess I forgot because I’m so excited about our road trip.” Tori said, “Yeah. I’m pretty much the same story.” Adam took off his hat, ran his fingers through his hair and said, “Okay. This shouldn’t be a problem. I’m sure that Jen can lend you both some of her clothes.” They didn’t waste another minute. Trip, Wes, and Lucas got in the second backseat. Jen, Katie, and Tori got in the first backseat. Eric got in the front seat and Adam got into the driver’s seat. He started the engine and drove out of the school parking lot. As they headed towards Adam’s house, Adam suddenly remembered and said, “Oh. I almost forgot to tell you guys. You are not gonna believe what Mr. Warren said to me and what he gave us.” Eric asked, “Really? What did he give you?” Jen asked, “What did he say to you?” Adam replied, “First off, he said he’s gonna cancel school for tomorrow so that we and the rest of the juniors and seniors can get some rest after this big night. As for what he gave me...” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the nice little chunk of change, “Cha-ching, cha-ching.” They were all gawking at the money like lions to a big hunk of meat. Eric reached out and took the money to look at it and said, “Jeez you guys, this is like 120 bones right here.” Adam took back the money and said, “That’s right Eric, and these bones are going into our emergency road trip fund.” He put the money back into his pocket. They stopped at a local corner store on the way home and picked up some supplies like chips, pretzels, pop, and some candy.

 

        Finally, they arrived at Adam and Jen’s house. Adam let the others get out while he parked the truck in the garage. Jen got inside first, followed by Eric and the others. Lucas picked up the phone and dialed up the number for Dominos pizza. Trip and Wes went into the kitchen and began sorting out the supplies. Katie and Tori went upstairs to Jen’s room to borrow some of her clothes like Adam had suggested. They both went into her room and looked through her closet and drawers. Katie picked out a black skirt and a matching sleeveless shirt. Tori picked out a cerulean skirt and a purple shirt. Katie unzipped the back of Tori’s baby-blue dress, and Tori untied the back of Katie's pink dress. They both peeled out of them like fresh ripe bananas. They both took some hangers out of the closet and hung up their dresses. They began to put on their clothes when there was a knock at the door. It was Lucas with the phone still in his hand. He had cupped the phone to his shirt and said, “Girls? It’s me Lucas. Are you decent? I need to ask you something.” They both finished putting on the clothes and Katie opened the door. Lucas popped his head in and asked, “Did you guys want your own pizza or should I just order something at random?” Katie replied, “Order us a pepperoni and sausage pizza and a side order of cheesy bread.” Lucas put the phone back to his ear and asked for that to go with their order.

 

        By now Adam had come into the house through the garage door. He had gone into the kitchen, grabbed an already opened bag of nacho cheese Doritos from the counter and a Pepsi from the fridge, turned on the big screen TV and had made himself comfortable on the big black leather couch in the living room. He was in the middle of watching Knocked Up, one of his all-time favorite movies, when Jen and Eric came into the room and plopped down next to him. Jen asked, “Adam?” He took a swig of his pop and replied, “What’s up?” Eric said, “Lucas already placed our order to Dominos if you want to know.” Adam asked, “So, what’d he order?” Jen hesitated and replied, “He ordered three medium pizzas and one of each side dish.” Adam stopped munching on his Doritos and suddenly had an angry look in his eyes. He’d forgotten that Lucas had a knack for getting carried away every once in awhile. He especially went in over his head when it came to food. He remembered the one time that they ate at Long John Silver’s and Lucas ate so much that he got sick and wound up throwing up in both of the restroom trash bins, but it wasn’t completely his fault. The shrimp that he’d eaten was tainted and that’s what made him sick. He asked, “And how much is this going to cost us?” Eric said, “I think he said it’d be like $36.50 or so.” Then Adam asked, “And where is our friend Lucas?” Jen replied, “He’s up in my room with Katie and Tori.” Adam took a deep breath and stood up, brushed the chip crumbs off of his clothes and walked out of the living room and into the hallway. Trip and Wes, who were still in the kitchen watched Adam walk past them. Trip said, “Ooh, he’s mad about something man.” Wes nodded his head in agreement. Adam continued making his way upstairs. Lucas and Katie were now sitting on Jen’s bed talking; and as for Tori? She had excused herself to go to the bathroom. Adam pushed open the door, waltzed right over to Lucas and grabbed him by his shirt. He said in a very sneer tone, “I’d like a word with you right now old buddy, old pal, old dear good friend.” Lucas said, “Wait dude. If this is about the pizzas, then don’t worry about them. I knew exactly what I was doing and I’ll pay for it all.” The angry look on Adam’s face faded as he let go of Lucas. He’d also forgotten that his temper could sometimes get the better of him and that caused him to act without thinking. He straightened out Lucas’ shirt and said, “I’m sorry about that old friend.” Lucas patted him on the shoulder which was his way of saying, “It’s all right.” Adam patted him back and left the room.

 

        Half an hour later, their food arrived. Katie and Tori got their pepperoni and sausage pizza and their cheesy bread, Adam and Jen got a cheese pizza and regular breadsticks, and the rest of the boys split a meatZZa feast pizza and they split two sides. Eric and Lucas had the Buffalo wings and Wes and Trip had the Buffalo chicken kickers. They spent the rest of the night pigging out, watching movies, and playing video games. It was almost 3:00 in the morning by the time they finally went to bed. Tori and Katie bunked up with Jen. Eric bunked up in Adam’s room and slept in a sleeping bag that he’d brought along. Wes, Trip, and Lucas wound up sleeping in several places. Trip had passed out on the couch in the living room. Lucas fell asleep on the bed in the guest room. Wes had fallen asleep on the futon in the basement/den. Adam had put a pillow under Trip’s head for him and Jen took off his shoes and covered him with one of their extra blankets. They did the same thing for Wes. By the time Jen got back to her room, Katie and Tori had stripped down to their underwear and were both lying on an inflatable bed. Adam went back to his room and found that Eric was already lying in his sleeping bag but he hadn’t quite fallen asleep yet. He said to Adam, “Boy, this sure has been a busy day hasn’t it?” Adam took off his shirt and replied, “You said it my pal.” Then Eric said, “I can’t wait to see what we’ll do in the morning.” Again Adam replied, “It is morning.” Eric said, “Oh, right. I forgot. I guess we’re probably not going to wake up before breakfast today but I’m sure we’ll wake up before lunch.” Adam said, “We’ll worry about that in the morning when it’s daylight out. All I know for sure is that we’ve got the day off tomorrow and we’re not going to waste it sleeping. So let’s get a good night’s sleep.” Adam pulled back the covers and climbed into bed. Eric said, “Good night Adam.” Adam replied, “Good night Eric.” He turned out the light and they both went to sleep.

       

They all wound up sleeping until 11:00. Trip was up first because he was awakened by the sound of a door being opened and closed. It was Adam’s father Michael Logan and his stepmom Isobel. They walked into the living room and saw Trip lying on the couch. He looked at them and said, “Oh, good morning Mr. and Mrs. Logan.” Michael said, “Hello Trip. Are Jen and Adam still home?” Trip replied, “Oh yeah. I’m sure they’re around here somewhere. That was one heck of a night we all had.” As he spoke, Adam was just coming downstairs stretching and yawning. He saw his parents and said, “Oh. Hi dad. Good morning Isobel.” Isobel replied, “Good morning Adam.” Michael said, “Good morning son.” Adam asked, “Do either of you guys know what time it is?” Trip looked at his watch and said, “It’s about 11:00.” Isobel asked, “Would either of you care to explain why you’re all here and not in school?” Adam replied, “Oh, that’s because Principal Warren told us that he was canceling school for today. Now if you two would excuse us, we have to go wake up the others.” Trip went downstairs to wake up Wes and Adam went back upstairs. He decided to wake Eric first and then Lucas. He went into his room and gently nudged Eric’s sleeping bag with his foot. Eric groaned and said, “Not now dad. Let me sleep for ten more minutes.” Adam let out a short chuckle, shook his head and nudged him again. Eric said, “C’mon dad, I said not now.” Adam knelt down and said, “It’s not your dad, now wake up you lazy son of a gun.” Eric turned over, opened his eyes and said, “Oh. Good morning buddy.” Adam replied, “Good morning. You better hurry up and get dressed if you wanna go out for lunch. I gotta go wake up the others.” He walked out of the room leaving Eric to get dressed, and then he walked into the guest room and woke up Lucas. They said good morning to each other and Adam pretty much said the same thing he said to Eric. Then he walked further down the hall and peeked into Jen’s room. He softly said, “Rise and shine my lovely ladies.” Jen turned over and opened her eyes and the others did the same.

 

        They were all dressed and ready fifteen minutes later. They left the house and ended up driving all the way out to Janesville and had lunch at Hardee’s. On their way back home, Adam said to the gang, “Hey guys? Remember what you have to do today. Start packing your bags and gather up all your money. Come Thursday night, we are all getting in my dad’s truck and we’re blowing out of town.” Everyone gasped in shock. Jen exclaimed, “Thursday night?!” Lucas asked, “You’re saying you want to leave right after school on Thursday?” Eric asked, “Yeah, why so soon?” Adam replied, “Because I wanna get started on this trip as soon as possible.” Katie asked, “Don’t you think that’s a little too rash? Don’t you want to spend another day with your parents? It could be the last time we see our parents for awhile.” Again Adam replied, “Katie, we’ve all been around our parents our entire lives. We’ve all given them 18 years and we’re still gonna be around them for the rest of our lives. But we might not be together like this for a very long time. However, if it makes you guys feel better, we’ll stay an extra day and get a fresh start Friday morning.” Tori said, “Thanks Adam. You’re very understanding.” Wes asked, “So where are we going first again?” Adam replied, “We’re gonna start by working our way south towards Indiana, and I do realize we’ll have to go through Chicago to get there, but I want us to wait until the end of the trip to go to Chicago because that is most likely where we’ll have the most fun. Plus, my mom lives out there and we’ll stay with her.” Trip asked, “And is your mom okay with that?” Jen said, “I wouldn’t have asked that if I were you.” Adam said, “Trip, that’s a stupid question. You know darn good and well that I haven’t seen my mom since I turned 18. She’s driving down here today for our graduation and she’ll be here until Friday when we leave. That’s when I’ll ask her.” He dropped off Tori first. Then he dropped off Trip, Wes, Katie, Lucas, and finally, he dropped off Eric. Eric said, “I guess I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” Jen got in the front and said, “Of course you’ll see us tomorrow. It’ll be our graduation in one more day.” Eric went into his house and Adam and Jen drove home. They all spent the remainder of the afternoon packing up their clothes and equipment. They gathered up all the money that they had. They also decided to bring along a little memento to remind them of home. Adam had a picture of him and his parents. Jen kept a picture of her mom and her mom’s favorite hairbrush. Eric’s keepsake was a red beret his grandpa had given him before he died. Lucas had a pair of black and blue biking gloves that his brother had left him before going off to college. Wes’ mementos were a pocketknife and an old lighter that had belonged to his uncle. Trip had a green harmonica that his dad gave him for his 13th birthday. Tori had a Hawaiian hair clip and a pair of Hawaiian sunglasses she had gotten on vacation a few years ago, and Katie’s most prized possession was a pair of red authentic Las Vegas dice that her mom had given her when she was 17 years old.

 

The next day was Tuesday, the last day of classes. Adam and his friends spent most of the day signing a few yearbooks. Adam and his friends got a few signatures too, as well as a few phone numbers from various friends. After school, Adam, Jen, Eric, and the rest of the gang went out for a pre-graduation dinner at Hooters. After dropping off the gang, Adam and Jen drove home themselves. They all were almost too darn excited to sleep that night, but they somehow managed to find a way to do so. It was especially hard on Adam.

 

The following day was graduation day. Adam and the others spent part of their morning in the school gym rehearsing their rock ‘n roll rendition of “Pomp and Circumstance.” Several of the other students came in during the rehearsal to get some signatures for their yearbooks. They rehearsed until they were called to get into their gowns for the ceremony. After putting on their gowns, they went back to the gym ahead of everyone. By now, the gym was filling up with students, teachers, and parents. Principal Warren stepped up to the podium and spoke into it, “Hello everyone and welcome to the gymnasium of Nicolet high school. We are here today to honor the graduating achievement of several of our wonderfully gifted students. Eight of which are the band for the ceremony here. Let’s give a small round of applause to Adam and the Alley Cat Blues.” The room was exploding with applause. Adam and the others began to play while the other students made their way into the gymnasium. After the rest of the students sat down, Adam and his friends put down their instruments and joined them at their own seats. First, the teachers gave out the awards to their students, including the graduates. Then one by one, Principal Warren called up the graduating students to step up and receive their diplomas. The order was as followed: Steven LaRusso, Wendy Davis, Jessica Evans, Theresa Rogers, Lisa Turner, Toby Morgan, Andrew Collins, Kenneth Heywood, Jeremy Thomson, and Sarah Lewis. Then it was their turn to go up. Trip was called up first, followed by Tori, Wes, Katie, Lucas, Eric, and Jen. Finally, it was Adam’s turn. He stepped up to the podium and delivered a very small but very meaningful speech. He said, “Thank you Principal Warren, and good afternoon my fellow students. I first wanna start off by thanking my mom for being here today, I also wanna thank my dad and stepmom. I wanna thank my teachers for helping me persevere for the past four years. There is one more little group that I wanna thank. As the Beatles once said, “I get by with a little help from my friends.” That is a true statement right there. I have gotten by, but not just the past four years. I have gotten by my whole life with some help from my friends, whom I’m happy to say are graduating with me today. You know what else? I look around this room today and I see many, many wonderfully gifted students, eighteen of which are about to embark on a journey. I look at us and see eighteen students including myself that are about to make their leap into the real world and show it what they can do; and as for me? I hope to further pursue my dream of being a famous rock star. My friends share that same dream, and together we will make it happen. As to the rest of you, I say good luck on your challenging and hard but wonderful and enjoyable journeys into adulthood. Oh, and one more thing. Remember that life is what you make it, so make it good and make it rock.” He stepped down from the podium and Principal Warren stepped back up. He said, “Thank you for that wonderful speech Adam Logan. Now without further ado ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Nicolet High School graduate class of 2008.” The students threw their caps into the air and everyone else stood up and applauded ‘til their hands were sore.

 

Adam, his friends, and all the other graduate students left the gym and headed into the staff lounge for the post graduation buffet. There were two kinds of cake, candy, cupcakes and punch. They picked out what they wanted and stepped out of the room. While they were outside the lounge, Adam’s parents came up to him and hugged him. His mom, Allison Williams Logan (Williams was her maiden name) said, “I’m so proud of you sweetie. Congratulations.” Isobel said, “I’m proud of you too Adam.” Michael added, “I’m very happy for you son and I hope you’re happy too.” Adam replied, “We’re all very happy for each other. You guys know that.” The rest of the graduates came out of the lounge to extend their congratulations. Several other students and parents offered their congratulations as well. After shaking hands and offering congrats, Adam let out a low sigh and said, “Man, what a day this has been, huh? I don’t know ‘bout the rest of you guys, but I’m glad this part of it is over. The sooner we get outside; the sooner we get out of these itchy gowns.” Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Then he added, “Oh, and don’t forget you guys, my parents are treating us to a graduation dinner tonight at Old Country Buffet. So everybody dress up sweet and sharp.” Lucas asked, “What time are we gonna go there?” Adam replied, “Jen and I will pick you guys up around 6:30 and we’ll meet my parents there. Oh, and Lucas? Make sure your stomach is empty before then. We don’t want to have a repeat of the Long John Silver incident.” Lucas gave him the thumbs up insuring that he got the message.

 

Adam excused himself and went to find his parents. He wasn’t so much concerned about finding Isobel as he was about finding his own parents; after all it had been a long time since he’d seen his mom. He found them standing outside one of his classrooms talking to Principal Warren. He cleared his throat and said, “Excuse me. Mom and dad, I just want you guys to know that Jen and I are gonna go ahead and take the others home and then we’ll meet you guys back at the house, and then later at the restaurant.” His mom said, “Okay honey, we’ll see you guys there. I hope you’re in the mood for some surprises because you’re gonna have quite a few of them coming your way tonight.”

 

Adam, Jen, and the others hopped into the truck, but not before removing their caps and gowns. They pulled out of the parking lot and drove off towards home. They stopped at a Dairy Queen for some ice cream and sundaes. Then they continued on and Adam dropped off Trip, Tori, Katie, Wes, and Lucas. They were going to drop off Eric, but he insisted on sticking with Adam and Jen. She asked, “Don’t you wanna go home and freshen up and change your clothes before the celebration dinner?” Eric replied, “I’ve already thought about that. I can just freshen up at your place. I have some extra clothes in my backpack. All I really need to change is my shirt anyway.” Adam, who was in no position or mood to complain said, “I say we just bring him home with us Jen. In my opinion, the fewer stops we have to make on the way to dinner the better.”

 

Later that afternoon around 6:00, Adam’s parents left the house to go to Old Country Buffet. Eric was just finishing up in the bathroom. He had decided to shave off his sideburns and any stubble he might’ve had on his face. Jen still hadn’t decided on what to wear and Adam was feeling more and more restless. Adam knocked on Jen’s door and said, “I don’t mean to rush you Jen, but if you’re not dressed and ready in ten minutes, Eric and I are going to pick up the gang without you.” Jen began to file through her clothes once more. Adam went back downstairs and Eric joined him shortly after. They were sitting on the couch when Jen finally came downstairs. She looked to them and asked, “Does this look okay to you guys?” Adam let out a disgruntled sigh and they both turned to look at her. What they saw astounded them so much that Eric nearly fell off the arm of the couch, and Adam’s eyes went wide. She was wearing a black beret, a purple silk jacket over a pink sleeveless shirt, a green skirt over blue jeans and blue Converse sneakers. Eric stood up and said, “Wow Jen, I don’t know whether to call you our songwriter or a fashion model.” Adam got up and added, “Gosh Jen you, you look great.” Jen said, “Thank you, so shall we go?” Adam shook his head for a second and replied, “Yeah, right. Let’s go pick up the gang.” They went into the garage, unhitched the trailer, got into the truck and headed out to pick up the gang.

 

The three of them picked up the gang and continued on to Old Country Buffet. They parked in the front of the lot. Adam and the others walked in and saw his parents sitting at a table for 12. His dad waved them over and they all sat down. Adam sat next to his mom, Jen and Trip sat next to her mom, Eric, Lucas, and Katie sat next to Adam, and Wes and Tori sat next to Trip. They spent an entire two hours eating. They ate deep dish cheese pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, French fries, baked chicken, biscuits, macaroni & cheese, ribs, and mashed potatoes. After polishing off that gourmet meal, it was time for dessert. They helped themselves to ice cream, cupcakes, chocolate cake, brownies, cookies, and sundaes. While they were eating, they were also making conversation. Adam told his mom about the road trip and she was delighted. She was especially thrilled when he asked about staying with her at the end of their trip. Both his parents and Isobel kept mentioning how much they loved his graduation speech. After dessert, Allison and Isobel gave Adam and Jen their graduation gifts. Allison’s gifts to Adam were a brand new Dell laptop computer, a Nintendo DS along with five games, and the complete series of 21 Jump Street because she knew he was a big fan of Johnny Depp. She gave Jen a gift as well; a brand new handheld video camera. Isobel’s gifts for Jen were a PSP with three games, a portable DVD player, and she also got a laptop computer. Her gift for Adam was the complete series of What’s Happening!! Finally, it was Michael’s turn. He gave Jen the soundtrack to Jersey Boys and Jersey Beat: The Music of Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. He gave Adam the complete series of Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Life as We Know It, and My So-Called Life. Then he said, “Everyone, can I have your attention please? I have a small announcement to make. Adam my son, I’m about to give you the greatest graduation gift ever. As you all know, I retired my 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 pickup truck seven years ago to buy that 2001 Chevy Trailblazer. I am now proud to say that I will be bringing my old 4x4 out of retirement and I’ll now be passing on the Trailblazer to my son Adam.” Adam was so surprised that he couldn’t even speak. He wasn’t speechless, he just had no words. Everyone else on the other hand was practically leaping for joy. Adam finally said, “Wow dad. I don’t know what to say. Thank you just isn’t enough at a time like this.” His mom said, “We’re just glad to know that you’re happy sweetie.”

 

It was almost 10:00 by the time they all left the restaurant, not that it mattered to Adam and the gang. They were all eighteen and therefore had no curfew. Adam and Jen loaded all of their graduation gifts into the trunk while the rest of the gang piled into the truck. When Adam climbed in, a strange sensation fell over him all of a sudden. It was a spur of the moment type of feeling he never felt before, something that he couldn’t begin to describe. Maybe it was the fact that they had finally graduated from high school. Perhaps it was the excitement of the road trip and the feeling of finally being free to come and go as he pleased. It might even have been the idea of him and his friends being able to maybe, just maybe stick together through anything (even college and jobs). Or, it could’ve just been the plain and simple thought that he was no longer sitting in his dad’s truck, but was now sitting in his own truck. Everybody knew that having your own vehicle equaled total freedom and Adam was no exception to that fact.

 

They pulled out of the parking lot and drove off. Adam wasn’t sure where he was going and right now he didn’t care. As they were driving, Adam suggested, “Hey guys. What do you say we blow off the last day of school tomorrow and just spend the day at Bradford Beach?” Lucas replied, “Why should we skip out on the last day of school just to spend a day at the beach?” Jen added, “Yeah, we can go to school and still go to the beach in the afternoon.” Adam said, “Because you guys know that the last day of school is always boring for us. You wanna end up doing what we did last year; spend the day either getting more signatures for our yearbooks or sitting in one of the empty classrooms watching movies? I sure as heck don’t.” Eric replied, “But Adam, that all happened last year. Last year we were just friends and not a band. Look at us now; we’re both friends and a band.” Tori added, “Eric’s right Adam. You never know what might happen. Principal Warren might ask us to perform again.” Wes threw in his two bits and said, “Yeah Adam, you never know. He might ask us to perform tomorrow and who knows? We might get a little more money out of it.” Adam chewed that thought over for a minute and finally said, “Okay guys, you got me convinced. We’ll go for the last day of school, but pack up your swimsuits in the morning because as soon as school’s out, we’re hitting Bradford Beach for the rest of the day.” Adam dropped off everyone at their house except for Eric, who again insisted on crashing at Adam and Jen’s place. They were almost too excited to sleep that night because they only had to get through one more day until it was road trip time.

 

They were all practically up at dawn the next morning. Adam picked up the gang and they all got breakfast at Burger King. As the day went on, Adam began feeling grateful that his friends suggested they go to the last day of school. They got to perform in the gym again. Adam sang seven songs including Two Princes, Margaritaville, Couldn’t get it Right, and What’s Going On. The girls sang five songs including Everywhere by Michelle Branch. Lucas and Eric even took over and sang a few songs. There was also a big buffet luncheon in the cafeteria. They spent the rest of their last day in one of the classrooms watching TV, but they didn’t care. To top it all off, Principal Warren came up to them and he did pay them again. This time he paid them only $50 but they weren’t discouraged; they were actually very grateful in fact. As soon as school let out, they changed into their swimsuits and pulled out of the school parking lot for the last time.

 

When they got to Bradford Beach, they were surprised to find that there was nobody else there. They had the entire beach to themselves. Lucas, Wes, Trip, and the girls did a little swimming while Adam and Eric just sat by the water for awhile and relaxed. Eric was lying on his back and Adam was resting his arms on his knees. Adam slowly began closing his eyes and before he knew it, he was beginning to have a daydream. In the dream, he was walking up a flight of stairs. At the top of the stairs was a hallway, and the first door on his left was hanging open slightly. He pushed open the door and walked into a girl’s bedroom. He softly called out, “Hello?” A voice from outside said, “You’re in the right place.” He followed the voice out to the balcony and saw her. A beautiful redhead girl sitting on a kind of futon-esque chair who was just taking her shoes off. Adam sat down next to her and they talked for awhile. The talking led to a sensuous back rub which then led to a little kissing action. Unfortunately, that was as far as it got, because the next thing that Adam heard was someone saying his name, “Adam… Adam… Oh Adam? Wake up you melodious monarch.” It was Trip’s voice that was calling out to him. The vision of the girl disappeared and Adam slowly opened his eyes and said, “Dang it Tripper, I was having a great dream. Why’d you have to wake me up and spoil everything?” Tripper was Adam’s personal nickname for Trip. Trip replied, “I’m sorry man, I didn’t know. I just wanted to tell you I’m going to get a hotdog over at the snack bar and I wanted to know if you wanted one too.” Adam turned around to look at Eric but he wasn’t there. He looked at Trip and asked, “Where’s Eric and the rest of the crew? Furthermore, what time is it?” Trip answered all three questions in order, “For some A or B reason, Eric went to sit on the dock over there. The girls just washed all the sand off of them and are all toweling off. Wes and Lucas are still swimming, and…” He looked at his waterproof watch and then continued, “It’s uh, about a quarter to seven.” Adam nodded and said, “Good. That narrows it down.” He stood up and brushed the sand off his clothes. Trip asked, “So do you want me to get you a hotdog or not?” Adam replied, “Why don’t you put eating on hold for a little while? We’ll stop and get something to eat on the way home. In the meantime, why don’t you go wash the sand off of you and then change your clothes while I tell Wes and Lucas to do the same? There’s something I wanna tell you guys. One more thing, would you and the girls meet me and Eric on the dock when you’re all done cleaning off?” Trip said, “Aye aye, mon cap-i-tan.” Trip headed over to the shower area while Adam called to Wes and Lucas, “Hey fellas. Come on out of the water. We’re gonna leave soon and I wanna tell you guys something. Meet us over on the dock. Come on you guys, roundabout.” Lucas looked at Wes and asked, “Did he say roustabout?” Wes shook his head and said, “No. He told us to roundabout. It means like come around or gather ‘round or something like that. We better just go and see what he wants. The water’s getting pretty cold now anyway.” They slowly started swimming back to shore. By now, Trip and the girls had just finished toweling off and were changing in the nearby restrooms and Adam had made his way over to the end of the dock where Eric was sitting. He was watching the sunset as Adam sat down next to him. He said, “Hey man. What are you doing all the way here at the end of the dock?” Eric replied, “You know how much I dig sunsets right? Well I just wanted to get a good view of it and I thought here would be the best place to watch it.” The others joined them shortly after. Jen sat down next to Adam and asked, “So what’s up Adam?” Katie also asked, “Yeah, what’s this important thing you wanna tell us?” Adam took a deep breath, stood up and said, “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking today you guys. I’ve been thinking that, if this is our last summer together, then I want us to make it one to remember. I mean like I want it to be one that we’ll remember for the rest of our lives. So, I say that we make a pact right here and now. The pact is that we make sure that this will be the best summer of our lives no matter what, and no matter what happens, our friendship will never end and we’ll always be there for each other. What do you say guys? Are you in or out?” He held out his hand for the others to touch. Eric and Jen stood up and put their hands on top of his. One by one, the rest of them put their hands in too. Then they grabbed their gear and left the beach, but instead of Eric or Jen sitting in the front seat like usual, Trip got to sit up front this time.

 

They stopped on the way and got Wendy’s for dinner. Trip asked Adam, “So tell me Adam, what was so exciting about that dream you were having before I woke you up? What was so stimulating about it?” Adam replied, “Oh man. I just gotta tell you. There I am walking up some stairs and I come up to a hallway. I notice that the door on my left is hanging open a smidge, so I walk in and find myself standing in some girl’s bedroom. I call out hello and then a voice says to me that you’re in the right place. I walk outside to the balcony and there she is man. A tall, beautiful and extremely gorgeous redhead sitting on a big futon-like thing and she just takes her shoes off in front of me. The next thing I know, I sit down next to her and we start talking. The talking leads to a little sensuous back rub which in turn, leads to a little kissing action. I think there may have even been a little bit of the tongue tango if you know what I mean. But then that’s it. That’s as far as it got before you woke me up Trip.” Trip said, “Again man, I’m very sorry I ruined it for you.” Eric said, “Boy. That sounds like every man’s dream to me.” Adam dropped off the rest of the gang and then he and Jen headed home as well.

 

Adam was up at dawn the next morning. He got up around 6:00. He showered up, got dressed, and made sure that he had everything he needed. The last few items that he packed were his graduation gifts, his portable DVD player, and a few more of his favorite movies. Jen woke up around seven. She also showered up and got dressed. When she saw Adam putting all of his graduation gifts into a separate bag, she asked, “You’re taking your graduation gifts with you on the trip?” Adam replied, “Of course I am. I’m not waiting for three months before I get to use them. You might wanna consider doing the same thing. Think for a second. You could put that video camera to good use and document our trip. Besides, do you really wanna wait for three months before you can use that laptop and the PSP?” Jen thought about it for a minute and said, “Yeah, you’re probably right.” An hour later, Adam gave his dad a big hug goodbye, he gave Isobel a kiss, and he gave his mom both a hug and kiss. Jen gave everyone a hug and kiss goodbye. Then they hitched on the mini trailer, and left to pick up the gang. Eric was picked up first, and the last one they picked up was Tori. The instruments and band equipment were all placed in the trailer, the graduation gifts were right underneath the seat, and the suitcases were stacked in two rows in the back of the trunk. They stopped at a Citgo station to fill up the gas tank and load up on supplies. Then they took off towards Janesville and headed onto the expressway. And so their summer journey had begun at last.

 

It took them the entire morning before they finally reached Chicago. It was mostly because they had to stop a few times for restroom breaks and the flow of traffic was not quite on their side. It was only after they entered Chicago and were cruising down Western Ave that Eric suddenly had a thought. He asked Adam, “Hey Adam? I know this isn’t the time to bring up something like this but, where are we going to stay tonight? We don’t know anybody here in Chicago except your mom and she’s still in Milwaukee.” Adam smiled and replied, “Ah, but fortunately my mom took the liberty to provide us with the means we’d need. It just so happens that my mom made an extra set of keys before she left here. She gave them to me last night after I told her about the trip. Her house is somewhere in Skokie. We’ll focus on looking for it later.” Lucas added, “Yeah Eric, we shouldn’t be worrying about where we’re gonna stay. We should be focusing on what we’re going to do. We’re in Chicago baby, one of the biggest cities in the United States. Where should we go? What should we do?” Trip, who was now sitting in the front again, pointed out the window and asked, “Anybody feel like going bowling?” They all looked at what he was pointing at: Waveland Bowl, one of the best bowling alleys in Chicago. Adam looked and said, “Trip, you’re a genius!”

 

They paid for three games and played for the next two hours. All of them were split into teams of four. Adam, Jen, Eric, and Lucas were one team. Trip, Wes, Katie, and Tori were the other. All of them bowled fairly well. By the end of the third game, each of them had bowled a little over 100. They wound up eating lunch in the Alley Dogs snack bar. Adam and Trip had the hotdog specials. Eric and Wes had the burger platters. Lucas had a plate of mini tacos and the girls all had the chicken strip platters. After that gourmet lunch, they hung out in the arcade area for a while to kill some extra time. They played Dance Dance Revolution Max, the Spider-Man arcade game, and Street Fighter. They left the bowling alley around 3:00.

 

They were cruising around another neighborhood when Trip asked, “So what should we do now guys? The day is still pretty young.” Wes added, “Yeah, what else is there to do? You guys wanna catch a ball game?” Adam shook his head and said, “I know what we can do. My mom told me that there are a couple of water parks in her neighborhood. We can check them out and then go find my mom’s house. What do you say guys?” They didn’t have to think twice because they began chanting, “Water Park. Water Park.” Adam stepped on the gas and drove off towards Skokie.

 

When they got to the water park, they were met with a bitter disappointment. The pool was just being closed for the day. Then Adam had a thought. He said, “I just remembered. My mom has a pool in her backyard. Let’s stop at a gas station and get some supplies. Then we’ll go to my mom’s house.” That’s just what they did. They got their supplies and made their way to Allison’s house.

 

Eric, Lucas, and Trip unloaded the bags while Adam unlocked the door. The first thing he did was go into the garage to open the door. Jen pulled into the garage and parked the truck. The rest of them went into the house. The boys put all of their stuff in the front room. The girls went upstairs to change into their swimsuits. Adam plopped down on the couch relieved that he could finally relax. Eric plopped down next to him. The rest of the boys were ready to plop down too when the girls came downstairs. As soon as they saw the girls in their bikinis, Lucas, Wes, and Trip grabbed their stuff and headed upstairs. The girls went outside, laid their beach towels on the lounge chairs and sat down to unwind and relax. The boys joined them shortly thereafter. Adam and Eric were left inside watching TV.

After awhile, Eric got up and said, “Adam, I’m gonna go check out the rest of the house.” Adam replied, “All right but remember, this is my mom’s house so whatever you do; try not to make a mess of the place.”

 

Eric went upstairs and Adam settled back into the couch. He slowly fell asleep and began to dream. He had that same dream like at the beach. Only this time instead of a redhead, it was a pitch-black brunette that he saw. Also, instead of giving her a back massage, he gave her a soothing foot massage. He wasn’t sure how, but this time he managed to go all the way with the girl. It wasn’t until after he finished the deed that he woke up. He opened his eyes and noticed the room had gotten very dark. He figured it must’ve been night time. He tilted his head up and saw Katie’s head hovering over him. He shouted, “Whoa!” She began giggling. Adam sat up and said, “Very funny Katie.” She stopped giggling and said, “Hi.” He replied, “Hi.” She asked, “I trust that you slept well?” Adam said, “Yeah of course.” Then she asked, “Did you have any special dreams during your nap?” Adam replied, “I had a dream about that girl again, but this time it was a brunette. Why?” Katie said, “Oh, it was just a hunch.” She pointed down at him until he looked down as well. He saw what she was pointing at and immediately flipped out. He put a pillow on his lap and said, “Oh my God!” Katie started giggling again and he said, “Stop laughing Katie, it isn’t funny.” She sat down next to him and said, “You have to admit it’s a little funny and I don’t know what you’re flipping out for. What you’ve got there is perfectly natural.” Adam replied, “Yeah, but you seeing it is what’s embarrassing. Furthermore, you sitting next to me in that little teeny-weeny yellow g-string bikini of yours is not helping me.” She giggled again and he said, “For cryin’ out loud, would you stop laughing? It isn’t funny. Geez, does your family have a history of incessant laughter or is that just a trait you developed on your own?” She responded by continuing to giggle. Adam shrugged and said, “Whatever. Now if you’ll excuse me, I will be going upstairs to downsize if you know what I mean.” He got up and went upstairs to his mom’s room to lie down. He was thinking about that funny comment he made to Katie about her family. It was times like that when he was glad that there were no racial problems between him and his friends. Katie was African-American, Lucas was Filipino, Trip was Hispanic, Adam, Eric, Wes, Jen, and Tori were all Caucasian. Adam checked his watch and it read 7:30. He thought, “Thank goodness this day is almost over. Tomorrow, we’ll be on our way to Indiana and I can kick back for a week.” He was just beginning to relax again when he heard a voice coming from downstairs, “Oh Adam. Dinner’s served.” It was Katie who was calling on him. He slowly got up from the bed and made his way downstairs.

 

As soon as he walked into the kitchen, Lucas put his arm around him and said, “Hey buddy. Man, I cannot get over how nice your mom’s house is.” He was interrupted by a grumbling noise and said, “Listen, my stomach’s growling like an old hound dog. What’s for chow you guys?” Jen looked up and said, “It’s my specialty. Deep fried chicken tenderloins and baby back ribs with homemade French fries, salad and macaroni & cheese. For dessert, we have chocolate cake and crème brulee a la mode.” Trip pretended to lick his fingers as Wes said, “Mmm, mmm. Sounds like some finger licking goodness.” Adam looked at the girls with a suspicious look in his eyes and said, “I don’t know. How is it that you girls managed to cook all of that food in a hurry like that?” Katie looked at him and said, “Well, we didn’t have to cook the desserts because they were already in your mom’s fridge.” Tori added, “Plus there was a whole bucket of ribs in the fridge as well, so we just reheated them in the microwave. I just hope your mom won’t mind us eating her food.” Adam reached for a French fry and replied, “Nah, she won’t mind. After all, you guys are her houseguests.”

 

The girls each picked up a tray and carried them into the dining room while the rest of the gang sat at the table. You would never have seen such a funny looking bunch gathered around a table. Adam and Eric were the only ones fully dressed, the girls had shawls wrapped around their waists, and the boys had changed into their jeans but were either shirtless or partially dressed. Lucas was wearing a sleeveless shirt, Trip was wearing an unbuttoned shirt and Wes was shirtless. While they ate, Lucas said, “So Adam, Katie was telling me that you had that dream again. She also said that you had a little visit from premature peter.” Adam felt himself blush with embarrassment. Trip said, “I wouldn’t worry if I were you old buddy. We’re not gonna knock on you about it.” Adam replied, “Good, because what I do in my dreams is none of your business. Is that clear you guys?” Tori said, “Whoa, ease up A.T.L.” They all laughed and finished eating mostly in silence.

 

After dinner, the girls brought in the dessert. Adam took both a piece of cake and the crème brulee, excused himself and went out to the porch. He was sitting on the lounge chair chewing the brulee when Lucas and Wes came outside to join him. They both sat down and Lucas asked, “So what’s up chicken butt?” Wes couldn’t help but chuckle. Adam slowly replied, “Nothing much Luke.” Lucas said, “Luke? Heh, no one’s ever called me that before. Are you sure you’re okay buddy? You look kind of down and seem distracted about something.” Wes added, “Yeah man. You don’t seem like your normal, cheerful, happy-go-lucky self. You were awfully quiet during dinner. Is something on your mind?” Adam got up, walked to the end of the porch, and set himself up on the banister next to the porch gate. Adam let out a low sigh and said, “I just don’t know anymore. I feel like a total emotional wreck right now. I don’t know what to think, I don’t know what to do.” Then he said, “I think I need to take a drive.” He got up and went back inside the house with Lucas and Wes following right behind him. Adam went into the dining room and reached down to pick up his keys off the table, but he stopped short. He fell back and plopped down on the couch. Lucas said, “What’s the matter Adam? I thought you said you wanted to go for a drive.” He replied, “Yeah, but I just realized that it’s getting kind of late out and I wouldn’t know where to go. Besides, I’ve probably just got a lot on my mind and need time to clear my head.” He picked up the remote and started scanning through the channels trying to find a good movie. He found it in the form of A River Runs Through It starring Brad Pitt. As it began, he said, “All right, I haven’t seen this one in a long time. Do you guys know that’s one of my all-time favorite books?” Wes replied, “No Adam, I didn’t know that.” Lucas added, “Me either.” The rest of the gang came in and joined them soon afterwards. After the movie, they finally decided to turn in and call it a night.

 

They were all up bright and early the next morning. It was a beautiful balmy Saturday. The girls showered up and began cleaning the house. Adam and Eric showered up and helped them. The rest of the boys cleaned themselves up as well. They put their dirty clothes in a separate bag. Adam unlocked the garage door and Eric hitched the trailer to the truck while Lucas pulled out onto the driveway. While the others piled into the truck, Adam locked both of the garage doors and then the front door. They stopped for breakfast at one of the local diners. After breakfast, they left the diner and drove towards the quickest expressway entrance.    

 

They had been driving for an hour when Tori asked, “Hey Adam? What are we gonna do once we get to Indiana? Is there anything to do in that state?” Adam replied, “Let me tell you something Tori. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from taking geography all these years, it’s that every state has something for people to do. It so happens and I know this for a fact that Gary Indiana is home to the Gary South Shore Railcats, a minor league baseball team. All I’ll have to do is stop somewhere and ask for directions when we get to Hammond.” Wes added, “I hope they’ll be playing today. A ball game is just what I want to see right now.”

 

They entered Indiana about half an hour later. They stopped for lunch at a Burger King. After lunch, they stopped at a gas station. While Eric and Jen filled up the gas tank, Adam went inside to ask for directions. Unfortunately, the gas station attendant didn’t know how to get to Gary so he wasn’t able to help him, so they left. They were driving along a forest road on their way to another gas station when Adam saw something out of the corner of his eyes. There, walking along the side of the road was a tall, slender, young redhead girl much like the one in Adam’s dream. He asked, “Hey you guys, is that a hitchhiker?” They looked out the window and Jen asked, “What in the heck?” Adam asked, “Should we pick her up?” Jen hastily replied, “And get chopped to bits? Are you nuts? Keep driving.” Eric said, “Come on Jen, wake up and see the light. It’s a teenage girl walking along the side of the road. They make scary movies that start out like that, and even if she is dangerous, there’s eight of us and only one of her.” Adam added, “Yeah. Besides, she’s probably from around here and might know how to get to Gary. We’ll just offer her a ride, ask her for the directions and then take her where she wants to go.” Adam slowed down and pulled over. He honked the horn twice to get the girl’s attention. She turned around and walked over to the truck. Jen hesitantly rolled down the window. Adam looked at her and said, “Hi, how’s it going?” She looked and said, “I’m pretty good and yourself?” He replied, “I’m great. Do you need a ride?” She replied, “Yeah, actually I’d love one.” Lucas opened the backdoor and she climbed inside. She sat between Katie and Tori. Adam pulled back onto the road and continued on. He looked in the rearview mirror and asked the girl, “So, what’s your name and moreover what’s your story?” She replied, “My name’s Sarah. Sarah Blake Evans. What’s yours?” Adam said, “Nice to meet you. My name’s Adam Tyler Logan. This is my stepsister Jennifer Scotts; we call her Jen. The four boys sitting in front of you are my buddies Eric Myers, Lucas Kendall, Trip Regis and Wes Collins. The lovely ladies you’re sitting between are Katie Walker and Tori Hanson.” Sarah said, “Nice to meet all of you. As for my story, my dad’s the head of a publishing company. You might know it as Evans Books Inc. My family has a lot of money and more wealth beyond their wildest dreams.” Adam said, “Okay, I think I see where you’re going with this. You’re daddy’s little princess and you’ve gotten tired of living the life of Riley and you just wanna leave that life behind and make it out on your own. Does that pretty much sum it up?” They all were amazed as Sarah replied, “Yeah. Yeah that’s exactly right. How did you figure it out like that?” Adam replied, “Sarah sweetie, I’m like a modern day Sherlock Holmes. Sometimes, I have a deductive intuition when it comes to people. By the way, where are you heading?” She replied, “Right about now, I’m going wherever you guys are going.” Eric said, “Well right now we’re trying to get to Gary to see a Railcats baseball game. You wouldn’t happen to know how to get there would you?” Sarah replied, “I’m afraid not. I haven’t been to Gary in a long time.” Adam said, “Oh well. I’m sure we can find something else to do around here.”

 

They continued driving down the road towards another gas station. Adam kept checking out Sarah and he began noticing something. He wasn’t sure of it or not, but it seemed to him that Sarah was being rather flirtatious and touchy-feely with Katie and Tori. She kept saying things like, “You girls are pretty hot, do you know that?” It was so very overwhelming that Adam finally had to ask, “Sarah, please tell me that this isn’t your way of telling us that you’re a lesbian.” Sarah was shocked and said, “No. No Adam, I’m not a lesbian; god no. I’m anything but that. I love boys but at the same time, I love girls. I’m not a lesbian. I’m... I’m… I’m a bisexual young woman and I’m not afraid to admit it.” Their discussion was cut short because just then, the engine of the truck started making funny noises and white smoke started coming out of the hood. Adam slowly pulled over to the side of the road. He got out, pulled the switch to open the hood, and went around to the front to see what the damage was. Eric and Lucas got out of the truck to see if he needed help. Eric asked, “Is there anything we can do Adam?” He replied, “Yeah. There’s a kit for the engine in the trunk. Would one of you get it?” Eric popped open the trunk and grabbed the kit. He closed the trunk and began to go around to the front, but as he did, one of the tools fell out of the kit. As he reached down to pick it up, he looked at the left rear tire and saw that it was looking kind of flat. He pressed his hand against it and it seemed to push through. Adam asked, “Come on Eric where’s that kit?” Eric replied, “Sorry Adam, but I think this tire’s low on air.” Adam said, “Well don’t worry about the tire right now. Right now, we have to worry about the engine.” They spent more than ten minutes looking over the engine before Adam said, “It’s no use guys. We can’t fix this thing on our own. I’m afraid we’re gonna have to call in for a tow truck.”

 

As fate would have it, just now coming down the road was a big black tow truck. It wasn’t one with a hook on the back, but one with a ramp on the back. It was being driven by a full grown man with brown eyes, sideburns and a goatee and a young woman with blue eyes and chocolate brown hair. The man saw Adam’s truck and slowed to a stop. The young woman rolled down her window and asked, “Hey, are you guys having some engine trouble?” Adam looked up and said, “Yeah we are. Could you help us out?” The man and woman both got out of the truck. The man lowered the ramp and together, they unhitched the trailer and they all pushed the truck onto the ramp. Then they hitched the trailer to the back of the tow truck. The rest of the gang had to get out of the truck so the man could lift it. After lifting the ramp, the gang climbed on top of it and clambered back into the truck except for Adam. He would have to ride with the man and woman. They got into the tow truck and drove on. The woman sat in the middle and Adam sat on the right end side. As they drove on, the woman asked, “So, what’s your name stranger?” Adam, who was enjoying the afternoon breeze looked and said, “What? Oh, my name is Adam Tyler Logan. What’s yours?” She replied, “My name’s Rachel Dawson, and this is my uncle Russell Dawson.” Russell looked at Adam for one second and said, “Good to meet you sonny.” Rachel asked, “So what exactly is the problem with your truck?” Adam replied, “I’m not exactly sure. My guess is that it could probably be a loose distributor cap or the carburetor might be busted. The left rear tire is low on air as well.” Rachel then asked, “So are you guys from here or are you just visiting?” He replied, “Oh no. We’re all from Milwaukee, except for that redhead girl. We just met and picked her up a little while ago. My friends and I have just graduated high school. We’re all a band and we’re taking this vacation so we can be together one last time.” Rachel said, “That sounds great, but what do you mean by one last time?” Adam replied, “You know, this is gonna be our last summer together as a band before we go off to college or get full-time jobs.” Russell said, “Well don’t you worry son. I’ll have your truck fixed up in no time and you kids can be on your way. Soon enough, we’ll be back at my home and my garage in Piedmont Cove.” Adam couldn’t help but burst out laughing. Russell asked, “I’m sorry, did I say something that was funny?” Adam stopped laughing and said, “Yes, as a matter of fact you did. That whole thing you said about your garage being in Piedmont Cove. How can you have a house and auto garage in a place that doesn’t exist?” Russell replied, “I beg your pardon son, but Piedmont Cove does exist. We’ve been living there for the past six years.” Adam chuckled and said, “Come on Russ, stop playing games. I’ve heard the legend of Piedmont Cove so many times ever since I was a little boy. My friends have heard the legend too.” Rachel said, “You just wait Adam. We’ll be back at our house in ten minutes and then you’ll see how much you don’t believe in legends.”

 

Adam didn’t realize it, but he was gonna come to regret it all too soon. Exactly ten minutes later after turning onto a deserted forest road in a sequestered glen, the tow truck came to a clearing. Russell drove onto a bridge that covered a beautiful little babbling brook. Adam took one look at what lay ahead of him and was not only taken aback but was left completely and utterly astonished. For what lay ahead of them was a small but incredibly wonderful town. From what Adam could make out, there before him was a type of diner/nightclub, a movie theater, a grocery store, a book, music and movie store, a gas station and auto shop, a radio/record company building, a park, and several different sized houses. Adam had never seen anything like it before. Russell said, “Well Adam my boy, welcome to the beautiful little town of Piedmont Cove, your own personal slice of paradise. Are you convinced now?” All he could say was, “I… I… I think I am.”

 

Russell slowed to a stop in front of his house. Adam and Rachel got out of the truck. The rest of the gang piled out as well. Russell said to them, “You kids might wanna grab all of your stuff while you can, because I’m gonna take your car over to my garage so I can look it over. Rachel will show y’all into the house and I’ll join you as soon as I can.” Upon hearing this, Jen and the others wasted no time. Jen popped the trunk open and Eric, Trip, and Lucas began taking everything out one by one. First, they unloaded the suitcases, and then they unhitched the trailer and unloaded the instruments and band equipment. It took all ten of them to carry everything inside the house.

 

Rachel went into the kitchen while the others put their belongings in a corner of the front room. Adam, Jen, Eric, and Sarah settled down on the sofa, Lucas and Katie made themselves comfortable on a recliner, Trip settled onto a chair, and Wes and Tori sat down on another sofa. Rachel came back into the front room carrying a tray of glasses and a pitcher of either pink lemonade or raspberry lemonade. She poured a glass for each of them and then handed it to them. Adam tasted it and immediately felt his lips pucker. That told him that it was raspberry. Finally, Rachel poured a glass for herself and sat down next to Wes. They all sat around and talked for the next few minutes. Adam filled Sarah in about everything, the graduating, the vacation, the whole nine yards. It turned out that Sarah also had an interest in singing, and the instruments she could play were the trumpet, the trombone and the acoustic guitar. Adam said, “That sounds great Sarah. I don’t know if we have a need for those instruments, but we’ll give you a fair shot and if we like what we hear, we’ll keep you around.” Russell came in a minute later and said, “Hey kids, I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news for you. It looks to me like your carburetor is completely shot. Either that or you need a new engine altogether. It’s gonna take a few days to get a new one, and it’ll take even longer for me to put it into your engine. I’m afraid that you all are gonna have to stay here in town for awhile. You’ll have to stay for four days, a week tops.” Adam angrily stood up and said, “Great, that’s just perfect. What could possibly be worse than having to stay in a town that doesn’t exist? I’m sorry, check that. A town that nobody believes exists.” Russell replied, “Adam, relax son. Like I said, it’ll only be for a week or so. You and your friends can stay here and meet the people and maybe even play at the club. Who knows? This town does have a knack for growing on people in a hurry. Anyway, there’s nothing more I can do about your truck tonight. Tomorrow, I’ll drive around the city and look for a carburetor and Rachel will show you the town and you can find an empty house to stay in, goodness knows we have plenty of them. Tonight you’ll stay with us. Rachel and I will get started on fixing dinner while you all get yourselves settled in.”

 

This wasn’t easy for Adam to accept, but unfortunately he had no choice. Rachel and Russell went into the kitchen to start preparing dinner. Adam and the others went into a bedroom and laid out their stuff. Adam said, “Hey listen guys; believe me when I say this. This little detour will not interfere with our trip. We’ll spend a week in this hick town and be out of here before they know it.” They went back into the kitchen and gathered around the table. Dinner was pretty much silent for everyone. The girls ended up bunking up with Rachel and the boys slept in the spare room.

 

During the night while Adam slept, or at least while he tried to sleep, thoughts kept racing through his head. His mind got so bottled up that he woke up, got dressed and decided to go outside for awhile. He sat down on a lawn chair in the yard. He looked at his watch and it read 12:30. It seemed a lot longer than that to him. He soon heard footsteps behind him. He turned around and asked, “Who’s there?” A voice said, “It’s me, Sarah.” She came outside wearing nothing but a tankini and a pajama bottom. She asked, “What’s the matter? You couldn’t sleep?” He shook his head no. She said, “Me either.” Adam asked, “Would you give me a sample of your singing?” She asked, “What, right here and now?” Adam replied, “Sure, there’s no time like the present.” Sarah asked, “What should I sing?” He replied, “Sing me anything. Sing me Stay by Maurice Williams.” She did sing that, and she sang it wonderfully. Adam said, “Wow. You’re pretty good. I’ve never heard a voice like that. You could be like a Frankie Valli for women.” She reached over, leaned in really close to him, almost close enough for their noses to touch and said, “Thank you.” Then she began to kiss him softly. He resisted for a second, but then decided to go with it because it had been far too long since he had kissed a girl, especially one as beautiful and sexy as Sarah, plus he’d never kissed a bisexual before. It was only when she began to take off his shirt that he pulled back and said, “Wait. Stop, wait.” She asked, “What? What’s wrong?” He replied, “I can’t do this.” She said, “What? You said you’d give me a fair shot.” Adam said, “No I don’t mean that. I mean I can’t do this. Have you done this before?” Sarah replied, “Yes. I’ve done this three times; once with a boy and twice with a girl.” He said, “Then you’ll probably understand why I can’t do this. I want my first time to mean something. I want it to be with someone who’s as inexperienced as I am. If I do it with you, I won’t feel anything and it won’t mean anything. Plus, I don’t have any protection on me and I don’t wanna be careless when I do it.” She replied, “I understand. If you wanna wait, then I’m willing to wait for you. In the meantime, so this won’t be a total loss, I’ll give you a little freebie.” She lifted up her shirt and took hold of both of his wrists. He asked, “What are you doing Sarah?” She smiled and placed his hands against her soft, supple and perky little breasts. As he felt himself cup them, a wave of sensation fell over him. She kept his hands on her for three whole minutes before she felt like it was enough. She covered herself up and they both went back inside the house. Sarah was about to go back to the bedroom when Adam took hold of her arm and said, “Wait, don’t go. Why don’t you stay with me tonight?” She grabbed her blanket from the bedroom and he grabbed his pillow. They both lied down on the couch. Adam wrapped his arm around Sarah and she pulled the blanket over them. They slept together all night long and well into the morning dawn.

 

The very next morning by dawn’s early light, Russell got up early and left. He probably wanted to get an early start on finding a new carburetor. Rachel and the girls woke up an hour later. They all showered up and put on clean clothes. Rachel offered to throw their dirty ones in the wash. After the girls gathered up their dirty clothes, they walked into the front room and saw Adam and Sarah asleep together on the couch. They all thought it was rather lovely and sweet seeing them holding hands like that. The boys were awoken up from the sound of the washing machine. They also showered up one at a time and got dressed. They walked into the front room and saw Adam and Sarah asleep together. Eric looked first and said, “Hey guys, check it out.” They all looked and Lucas said, “Well I’ll be doggoned.” Trip added, “I wonder what they did last night.” Wes said, “I think I can guess.” They went into the kitchen to join the girls. Eric asked, “So Rachel, what’s for breakfast?” Rachel replied, “Actually, as soon as Adam and Sarah wake up and get cleaned up, I’m gonna take you guys out for breakfast at the Hard Times Café. You’ll get to meet some of the townspeople, including my boyfriend and his two buddies.” Jen went into the front room to wake them up. She gently shook Adam’s shoulder and he slowly opened his eyes. He saw Jen and said, “Oh, good morning Jen.” She said, “Good morning.” He asked, “What time is it?” She replied, “It’s about 8:30. Rachel’s offering to take us for breakfast as soon as you and Sarah get cleaned up. So you two might wanna get moving.” She went back into the kitchen and Adam woke up Sarah. They both took a shower and got dressed.

 

They left the house and Rachel led the way towards the diner. Adam walked with the guys and Sarah walked alongside the girls. The boys kept ganging up on him and Lucas asked, “So? Don’t hold out on us man. Give us the juicy details.” Adam replied, “I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Trip said, “Come on Adam. You always tell us everything.” Adam finally caved and said, “All right. Here’s what happened. I couldn’t sleep last night so I sat outside for awhile. Sarah came outside too for the same reason. We talked and then I asked her to sing me a song. She sang me Stay by Maurice Williams. I complimented her and before I knew it, she leaned over and started kissing me. That’s it in a nutshell. There was a little bit of the tongue tango, but that was all it was.”

 

They entered the diner and sat on the stools at the counter. They waited for a minute before Adam asked, “Hey Rachel, who do we have to call on to get some service in here?” Before Rachel could answer, a grown man with a beard came out from behind the kitchen holding a bunch of grocery bags. A young man with light brown hair came up behind him. The older man saw Rachel and said, “Sorry we’re so late Miss Rachel. We had to get groceries for our breakfast rush.” She replied, “That’s okay Justin. These are my new friends. They’re a couple of out-of-towners. Meet Adam, Jen, Eric, Lucas, Trip, Wes, Katie, Tori, and Sarah. You guys, this is Justin McKnight. He’s the owner and head chef of this place, and this is his nephew Conner McKnight.” Each of them shook hands with one another. Justin said, “Pleased to meet y’all. Now what can we get you?” Adam asked, “Uh, what do you have?” Justin replied, “Of course, how silly of me. Conner, get these kids some menus and let’s get to work.” Conner said, “You got it uncle J.” He reached under the counter and handed each of them a menu. He said, “I recommend you try the chicken frittata. It’s our breakfast special of the day.” Lucas said, “That sounds both tasty and exotic.” After looking over the menu, Lucas was the only one who ordered the chicken frittata. The others either ordered a breakfast sandwich or a breakfast platter. While they waited for their food, they were joined by two young men. One was black and the other was Hispanic. They both sat down next to Rachel. She said, “Hi sweetie” to the black man and kissed him hello. She looked at the others and said, “Hey guys? This is my boyfriend Ethan James and his friend Trent Fernandez.” They waved hello to each other and Ethan said, “Nice to meet you guys.” Trent asked, “So what brings you guys here to Piedmont Cove?” Adam had already explained everything twice and didn’t feel like doing it again, at least not right now. So Eric and Jen told them everything. They started explaining everything just as Conner came out of the kitchen and began serving their food. Eric and Jen finished explaining their story and Conner said, “Wow. That’s a pretty interesting story. It sounds like a great plot for a fiction novel. So all nine of you guys are a band and fresh out of high school?” Adam replied, “Actually, it’s just the eight of us. Sarah over there, is not part of our band as of yet. We only just met her yesterday. What about you guys? What’re your reasons for being here and just out of curiosity, what do y’all do to keep yourselves occupied?” Conner replied, “I came here after I graduated high school last year. I was actually born here and decided to move back. I’m pretty much a natural born athlete at everything, but my main game is soccer. I happen to be a former all-star player. Just ask my girlfriend Monica Reynolds. She never missed a single one of my games when we were in high school.” Ethan said, “I moved out here with Conner because I wanted to live close to my best friend. I’m a champion video gamer. I am also a top-notch super-genius with computers and electronic devices. I once took apart a toy airplane just to see how it worked and then I put it back together again.” Trent added, “I moved out here for the same reason as Ethan. I’m an aspiring artist. I mostly draw comic books because I’m a huge comic book fanatic. But I also like to draw and paint pictures every now and then. Lately, I’ve been drawing a lot of self-portraits and landscapes. Would any of you care to see my work?” Adam, Jen, and Eric nodded. Trent picked up his sketchpad and slid it over to them. The three of them looked through the sketchpad and Adam said, “Wow Trent, these pictures are awesome.” Jen said, “I’ve seen a lot of artistry in my day but these are something different entirely.” Eric added, “Geez man, you’re like a collaboration of Rembrandt, Renoir, Monet, Manet, and Picasso of this generation.” Adam looked at a few more portraits and noticed that each of them featured a young woman with brown eyes and light brown hair. He asked, “Whoa, who’s the pretty lady?” Trent said, “That’s my girlfriend Charlene “Charlie” Hunter. She loves it when I draw pictures of her. Lately, she’s been on my case about how I haven’t drawn a nude portrait of her yet.” Adam commented, “Oh, that would be nice wouldn’t it?” Trent chuckled and said, “Hey, I’m not complaining. I love her and I love what I do.” Adam asked, “Will we get to meet these uh, lovely ladies?” Conner replied, “You’ll get to meet them both later on tonight, along with their other friends Nicole “Nikki” Lawrence and Kira Ford.” Eric asked, “Why so long?” Conner replied again, “Well, you guys are gonna find out anyway but I might as well tell you now. This place isn’t just a restaurant; it’s only that during the day. At night, this place becomes well, a nightclub. All of the girls except for Monica and Rachel perform here together about three times a night for twice a week.” Trip said, “I sure hope that isn’t the only way you guys entertain yourselves around here.” Ethan replied, “Oh, no way man. We also have an old-time movie theater and a store that sells books, music, and movies.” Katie asked, “But how is that possible? How can you guys receive and sell that stuff or show movies in the theater if nobody knows this town exists?” Rachel replied, “You guys would be surprised to what the adults here are capable of doing.” The conversation between them lasted until long after the breakfast hour had ended. In fact, Adam and the others got so caught up in talking with their new friends that they practically stayed at the diner all day long through the lunch rush, dinner, and until nightfall. I ask you, what else could they have done? They had no mode of transportation and therefore couldn’t go anywhere. Plus, they didn’t have anything better or else to do. It was either stay there at the diner and talk with their new friends, or go back to Russell’s house and lounge about for the rest of the day.

 

When nightfall came around, Justin and Conner began closing up shop for the kitchen, and began setting up shop for the nightclub bar. Conner brought out bottles of cider and various flavored juices. While Justin was laying out glasses on the counter, five more people entered the diner. The only one Adam and the others recognized was Russell. There were two older looking men, a young man who looked about 20, and one young woman. Adam guessed that the woman was Monica, and he got his answer all too quickly. She walked over to the counter, leaned across it and gave Conner a kiss hello. He said, “Hey sweetie. How’s it going?” She said, “I’m pretty good. How was work?” He replied, “Work was a little different today. Ethan, Trent, and I made some new friends.” He pointed at Adam and the others and continued, “You guys, this is my girl Monica Reynolds. Monica, these are our new friends.” They all said hello and introduced themselves. Monica said, “It’s nice to meet y’all.” Adam said, “Same here. Is that a southern accent I detect in your voice?” She replied, “Yeah. I’m from Dallas Texas.” Then the three men approached them. The first one said, “So, you must be the kids that Russell has been telling us about all day. I’m Roger Lawrence. I don’t believe you kids have met my daughter Nikki yet, but I’m sure you’ll all meet her soon enough.” The second man said, “I’m Anthony Ford. Roger and I understand you kids are a band. My daughter Kira is a musician as well.” The only thought going through Adam and Eric’s minds were, “Great. What could be worse than meeting the father before the daughter?” Then the young man approached them and said, “Hi everyone. The name’s Samuels. Johnny Samuels. I’m Nikki’s cousin and the DJ of the local radio station. It’s great to meet y’all.” He had a bit of a southern drawl in his voice too. Adam said, “Nice to meet you Johnny.” Then he turned around and asked, “So Conner, when do we get to meet this Kira and Nikki?” Conner checked his watch and replied, “Their show will be starting in about five minutes. In the meantime, glasses of cider all around on the house.”

 

Five minutes later, the curtain of the stage opened up and several overhead spotlights turned on. Johnny stepped onto the stage, tapped the microphone, and spoke into it, “And now ladies and gentlemen, The Hard Times Café is proud to present, our entertainment of the evening. Here they are everyone, three lovely ladies that you can’t help but love, The Heavenly Angels!” Everyone clapped as Adam asked, “The Heavenly Angels?” Monica replied, “It was the best name they could come up with at the time.” Johnny stepped off the stage, walked over to the counter, and sat behind Sarah. Three young women stepped out on the stage, the one in the middle was holding an acoustic guitar and the other two had tambourines. The spotlight turned on and the one in the middle, a blonde began singing and playing her guitar. The other two, a black haired brunette and a brown haired brunette began playing their tambourines and singing along. Adam recognized the brown haired one as Charlie, the girl from the portraits. He asked Monica, “Which one is Nikki and which one is Kira?” Monica replied, “Kira is the blonde and Nikki is the dark brunette.” They sang a total of five songs, and oddly enough the songs were all by the same artist: Emma Lahana. The songs were True Love, Patiently, Freak You Out, Just Words, and Just a Little. While they were performing, a strange feeling came over Adam all of a sudden. Now Adam had never been the type to believe in love at first sight, but the moment he saw Kira, the thought seemed to stick to him like a leech and it wouldn’t go away. The same feeling seemed to have fallen over Eric when he saw Nikki. After the last song, Kira spoke into the microphone and said, “Thank you everyone. You’re a wonderful audience. We’re gonna take a little break right now, but we’ll be back real soon to sing again.” They all stepped off the stage. Nikki and Charlie headed straight into the ladies’ restroom, but Kira slowly made her way past everyone and walked out the front door. It seemed to Adam, (and he wasn’t sure of it or not) that for a brief moment, five seconds even, that she locked eyes with him and she smiled at him. He was so lost in thought that Eric had to snap his fingers to get his attention. Adam shook his head and asked, “Huh? What? Oh, what is it buddy?” Eric replied, “You were zoning out man, I had to snap you back. Now I know this is silly to ask but, where are we gonna stay tonight? Should we stay with Russell and Rachel again?” Adam looked out the door and back at Eric and said, “You know what? Why don’t you just hold that thought? I’m not sure at the moment.” He slid off the stool and headed for the door. Eric asked, “Hey wait man, where’re you going?” Adam replied, “What’s it look like? I’m going out there to introduce myself to Kira. If I were you, I’d be doing the same with Nikki.” He turned and walked out the door leaving Eric to think that over.

 

As soon as he got outside, he heard a humming noise coming from the right end side of the diner. He walked over there slowly. He turned the corner, and there she was. She was lying on her back on the hood of a 2007 Chevy Camaro bumblebee. She had a bottle of water in one hand and an iPod in the other. Adam spoke in a loud clear voice so she could hear him, “Hello.” She leaned up, looked at him, took off her headphones and said, “Hello there.” He said, “I um, I really enjoyed your performance in there.” She replied, “Thank you.” Then he began walking towards her and said, “I must say that I’ve heard a lot of wonderful voices in my time, but your voice really takes the cake on this one. That voice of yours is that of an angel.” She replied in a very unenthusiastic way, “Uh-huh.” Adam hastily said, “Oh, I’m not a weirdo or a creep or anything, and I’m not trying to hit on you or pick up on you or anything like that, so don’t be afraid.” Kira replied, “That’s some good thinking on your part, whoever you are.” He walked right up to her, held out his hand and said, “My name is Adam, Adam Tyler Logan.” She shook his hand and replied, “Nice to meet you Adam. My name is Kira, Kira Ford.” He asked, “Mind if I sit with you?” She replied, “No. Go right ahead.” She scooted over and Adam slid onto the car’s hood. Kira asked, “So, do you live around here; because I’ve never seen you before.” Adam replied, “No, no I’m not from around here. My friends and I are just kind of passing through.” Then the whole story came out. Even though he didn’t wanna explain it again, he told her everything: about him and his friends, about being a band, where they were from and where they were going, the prom, the graduation, the passing of the truck, the pact, the reason they were on vacation, meeting and picking up Sarah, and how they came to be at Piedmont Cove. Kira took a few minutes to let it all sink in. She finally said, “Okay, let me see if I’ve got all the facts straight. You, your stepsister, and your six friends are all part of a band and you’re all fresh out of high school. You’re all on vacation for what may be your last summer together. Your dad passed on the family truck to you, and yesterday you picked up a young bisexual hitchhiker who’s very wealthy but is tired of living that kind of life; and the only reason you’re here is because of a broken carburetor.” Adam said, “Yeah, that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. So until Russell can get a new carburetor and put it in the engine, my friends and I are pretty much stuck here for a week or so. I guess we’ll just have to make the most of this little situation.” Kira replied, “That’s a shame. It’s a sad, sad shame. But it isn’t completely bad. You’re lucky you guys came when you did.” Adam asked, “Really? Why’s that?” Kira again replied, “My dad and I have been living here for the past two years. For the last two years, Nikki’s had a party every first week of summer. She’s having it this Wednesday night. But she doesn’t just host a regular party; she hosts make-out parties.” Adam said “Really? Then I guess staying here won’t be bad after all. I mean we’ve only been here for a day and a half and good fortune is coming our way.” Kira asked, “How so?” He replied, “Well, we’ve met all of the people. I especially got to meet you Kira. If I didn’t know better, I would say that destiny somehow brought me here and to you.” She leaned in close to him and said, “You know Adam? I’ve had a fair share of men in my life and they all turned out to be a bunch of mindless, self-centered, conniving jerks. But there’s something different about you. I could tell it from the second I looked at you. You don’t seem to come off like other guys.” He said, “Maybe that’s because I’m not like other guys. Maybe it’s because I’m different and the good kind of different.” They began leaning in close to each other when a noise came from inside the diner. It was Johnny talking into the microphone. He was calling for Kira. She looked at Adam and said, “We should probably go back inside. My dad and our friends might think we eloped to Mexico.” Adam chuckled as they both slid off the car and headed back into the diner.

 

Kira went up onto the stage and Adam went back over to his stool at the counter. By now both Nikki and Charlie had long since come out of the ladies’ room and were sitting with Jen, Rachel and the others. Charlie was sitting next to Trent and Nikki was sitting with Eric. They too had been talking for a long time. Adam sat down and Eric asked, “Hey man, what happened to ya? You were outside for like fifteen minutes. What was going on out there?” Adam replied, “Nothing. I just went outside, introduced myself to Kira, and we got to talking. What did I miss in here?” Eric replied, “Oh man, you would not believe it. I was talking up a storm with Nikki here just like you were with Kira. It turns out that Nikki is hosting a make-out party this Wednesday.” Adam replied, “Yeah. Kira already told me that.” Eric said, “Well I bet she didn’t tell you this. Apparently, Nikki’s dad Roger, he owns the radio station which is also a record company. Plus, he devotes himself to strictly promoting unknown artists. According to Nikki, he’s about to promote her, Charlie, and Kira to a two album record deal. He’s gonna help them record their first single and then broadcast it over the radio.” Adam said, “Wow. Well that’s something. That’s something different entirely.” While Eric was catching Adam up on what he missed, Kira came out of the restroom and headed up to the stage. Nikki and Charlie got up from the counter and began making their way back to the stage as well, but Eric stopped them short so he could introduce them to Adam. Eric said, “Nikki, Charlie? This is Adam Logan, our bandleader and my very best friend. Adam this is Nikki Lawrence and Charlie Hunter.” Adam said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you ladies.” Nikki said, “It’s nice to meet you too handsome.” Charlie said, “The pleasure’s all mine. It’s good to meet you.” Kira looked over at Adam and the others as she went up to the stage, then she was struck with an idea. She spoke into the microphone, “Attention everyone. I have a little surprise for you all. This one is for the out-of-town group. I’d like you all to welcome to the stage a fellow musician and my new friend: Adam Logan, please come up here.” When Adam heard her call his name, he didn’t know what to do. He looked at Eric and Jen. Eric said, “Go on up there man. She’s calling on you to sing with her.” What else could Adam do? He got up and made his way up to the stage. He took hold of the mike and spoke into it, “Thank you Kira and hello everyone. I’m Adam Tyler Logan and I’m the lead singer and one of the founders of my band: Adam and the Alley Cat Blues. Does anyone have any requests for me?” Kira said, “I know what. Why don’t you and I sing a few songs together?” Adam nodded eagerly. Together, with Kira playing guitar, they sang four songs: Still There for Me, Like You, Ain’t No Mountain High Enough and The Lady Loves Me. After they finished singing together, Adam asked, “Did y’all like that?” Everyone stood up and gave them a standing ovation. Adam said, “Thank you everybody. Is there anything else anyone would like to hear?” Roger asked, “Hey Adam, do you happen to know Father & Daughter by Paul Simon?” Adam replied, “Gee Mr. Lawrence. I haven’t sung or heard that song in a long time.” Then Roger began rubbing his chin and went into his best impersonation of the godfather. He said, “Adam my boy, let me explain to you how this works. Around here, when you do a favor for me, one day I’ll do a favor for you. Pretty soon, I’m gonna be promoting my daughter and her two friends for their first album. So I’m gonna make you an offer you can’t refuse. You sing me this song, and one day, one day soon I’ll make you and your friends real big-time stars.” Adam said, “Sure thing, Don Corleone.” Kira handed him the guitar and he played like never before. He again got a standing ovation from the crowd. Then Justin announced, “All right everyone, that’s it for the night. It’s almost 1 in the morning and these kids have had a long day. I’m sure they’ll have a bigger day tomorrow.” Everyone began clearing out one at a time while Justin closed up shop.

 

It turned out that Anthony was the keeper of the keys to all the empty houses in town. He gave one key to Jen and another to Eric, and then told them where to go. Before any of them could part ways, Roger took Eric aside and told him, “Say Eric, I want you to know that I noticed how nice and polite you were being to my daughter in there, and it’s not easy finding a gentleman like yourself. Do you know what I’m saying?” Eric replied, “I read you loud and clear Mr. Lawrence.” Roger continued, “Good. Now let me tell you something. If you wanna spend time with my little girl while you’re here, then that’s fine with me. But all I’m gonna ask you is this. Try not to get too close to Nikki okay? Because if you’re only gonna be here for a week, then I don’t want my little girl getting her hopes up for you and then getting her heart broken all right? My baby’s happiness is real important to me and I’d hate to see her sad. Do you get the picture Eric?” Eric replied again, “Yes sir.” Roger said, “Okay. Oh, one more thing. I’m not gonna be at the house when Nikki has that party of hers. If she invites you and your friends, then all I can ask is that you keep that snake of yours in its cage, and if it should decide to come out of its cage, make sure its mouth is all taped up so no poison can escape.” Eric replied yet again, “You have my word sir.” Roger patted him on the back and walked away. Anthony meanwhile, had taken Adam aside and had pretty much told him the same thing, and then he offered to let Adam stay with him and Kira which he gladly accepted. Sarah asked to stay with them too. So Jen, Katie, and Tori stayed in one empty house, Eric, Lucas, Trip, and Wes stayed in another. Kira offered to let Sarah bunk with her, but she insisted on staying with Adam. They both said good night to Kira and went into the guest room. Adam took off his shirt and got into bed. Sarah changed out of her clothes and got into bed wearing only her underwear and a pajama top. Even though Adam had made it clear that he wasn’t willing to let her be his first, she didn’t let that stop her from cuddling up with him, so he finally decided to give into temptation and put his arm around her as they both fell asleep.

 

The next morning, Kira was up at dawn. She woke up and went into Adam and Sarah’s room. She walked over to the bed and gently shook Adam’s arm. He slowly opened his eyes, saw Kira and said, “Now here’s a beautiful vision to wake up to. Good morning.” She whispered, “Good morning.” He asked, “What time is it?” She looked at the clock on the nightstand and said, “It’s about 6:00.” He asked, “Then why the heck are we awake? Come on, climb in and let’s go back to sleep a little longer.” Kira said, “No. I wanted to wake you up because I want to show you something. Come on, get dressed and come with me.” He gently moved Sarah’s arm off of him and got out of bed. He picked up his button down shirt and jeans, put them on, and followed Kira.

 

She led him outside to the backyard. She opened the gate to reveal two lawn chairs perched at the base of the wide river. Adam couldn’t believe his eyes for he had never seen anything so beautiful and majestic. He could also see the reflection of the rising sun in the water. He sat down on one of the chairs and asked, “So is this what you wanted to show me?” She sat down and said, “Yes it is. Haven’t you ever seen anything so beautiful?” He looked at her and asked, “You mean, more beautiful than you are?” She looked back at him and asked, “What? What did you just say?” He replied, “I asked if you mean more beautiful than you. Was I coming on too strong?” She replied, “No. That was honest, sincere, and rather… sweet.”

 

Meanwhile back upstairs, Sarah had turned over on her side to put her arm on Adam, but all she felt was the bed sheets and the blanket. She quickly opened her eyes and saw that she was alone. She picked up a red bedspread and wrapped it around her practically naked body; then she got up and walked over to the window. She looked outside and saw Adam and Kira talking together. Seeing them together like that seemed to put a smile on her face. Being a bisexual, Sarah wasn’t the type of person to get jealous about either of the sexes. Watching them seemed to turn her on, because the next thing she knew, she had let go of the bedspread and began feeling herself up. She closed her eyes and slowly began to moan with passion. Before you knew it, she had laid out the bedspread, picked up two of the pillows from the bed, removed the rest of her clothes, made herself comfortable and continued to please herself.

 

By now, Kira and Adam had come back inside the house. He offered to help Kira make breakfast but since she could barely cook anything herself, she suggested they meet the rest of the gang for breakfast at the café. Adam decided to shower up so Kira went upstairs to get him some clean clothes, as well as to wake Sarah. As she approached the bedroom, she heard a noise coming from inside. It was the sound of Sarah moaning, but Kira didn’t realize that. All she could tell was that Sarah was awake. She poked her head inside and asked, “Sarah? Hey Sarah, do you wanna get some breakfast?” Sarah didn’t answer because she was too busy enjoying herself. Now Kira had never been with anyone before let alone another girl, and she certainly wasn’t planning on it anytime soon. But when she saw Sarah’s naked body, curiosity had gotten the better of her. She walked in, closed the door and walked over to Sarah. She knelt down right behind her and asked, “What’re you doing?” Sarah gasped and giggled at the same time and Kira giggled too. Sarah asked, “Um, what does it look like?” Kira looked again and said, “Oh, I see. Well I’ll just leave you to…” Sarah wrapped her arm around Kira’s neck and said, “Oh no. Come here.” She reached over and kissed Kira who slowly pulled her head back. Sarah asked, “How was that?” Kira replied, “Hmm. It felt nice, but I’ve never done it with a girl before. I’ve never done it with anyone before.” Sarah said, “Oh, come on.” Kira replied, “I haven’t.” Sarah said, “Come on Kira. Every girl wants to do it with another girl at least once in her life. Don’t make me beg please. You’ll love it, I promise you will.” Kira was still very hesitant, but at the same time, being with a girl did sound fun and enjoyable, plus she heard that it was supposed to be very gentle. So she finally gave into temptation and let Sarah go back to kissing and caressing her. Kira slowly slid her hand down Sarah’s stomach and began rubbing gently against her. Sarah said, “Mm. That’s just what I needed.” Kira asked, “Oh is it?” Sarah giggled and replied, “Hmm-hmm yep. I think it’s my turn to pleasure you now.” Kira hesitantly stood up to let Sarah undress her. While Sarah began to remove Kira’s pants, Kira took off both her shirt and tankini. Sarah peeled off Kira’s underwear and lied down on her back. Kira leaned down really close to Sarah as they began to kiss again. Sarah slowly reached below Kira’s stomach and began to return the favor. Kira began to moan incestuously. Sarah said, “Slide into me with your fingers. I want… I want you to make me come.” Kira licked her fingers, reached down and slid them in. It made Sarah moan with ecstasy. Finally, Kira sat up, pulled Sarah up by her back, and they both began to rub against each other yet again, but not with their hands, but with their bodies. Kira remarked, “Ooh. My God, you’re so wet.” Sarah replied, “Yeah? So are you. You think maybe we can both come at the same time?” Kira nodded, “Mm-hmm.” As they continued rubbing against each other, they both moaned so loud that they could’ve almost broken the sound barrier. They climaxed together, then held each other close and kissed again.

 

Meanwhile, Adam had long since come out of the shower. He had heard the girls moaning so he picked up his clothes and decided to go upstairs and take a peek. Surprisingly, he found the door was unlocked. Perhaps Kira meant to lock it but didn’t, or maybe she left the door unlocked on purpose in hopes that Adam might watch. Either way, he got to see the last part from when Kira and Sarah sat up together. They were so busy that they didn’t see him. He could hear them talking. Sarah asked, “So, how was your first girl-girl experience?” Kira’s breathing was slightly heavy and her hair was covering her face but she managed to say, “Oh my God. I didn’t know that it could feel so good.” Sarah replied, “And this is just your first time. It’s only gonna get better the more you do it.” Kira said, “Yeah. But if this is what it feels like with a girl, I can’t wait to see what it feels like with a boy.” Sarah replied again, “You know something? You and Adam have more in common than you think.” Kira asked, “Really; how’s that?” Sarah answered, “The night before we met you, I came onto Adam and he wouldn’t do it with me because he said he wanted his first time to be with someone as inexperienced as him. You on the other hand only hesitated but still went through with it.” Kira said, “Wait! You tried to seduce Adam? Oh my God. What’d you do?” Sarah said, “Oh, nothing much. All I really did was kiss him a little bit, plus I took hold of his hands and made him give me a feel-ski. Other than that, it wasn’t much.” Kira said in a rather angry voice, “If I had known that before, then I wouldn’t have gone through with this.” Sarah replied, “Kira, relax, it’s alright. Look, it’s pretty obvious that you like Adam and it’s plain to see that he likes you back. Trust me, the last thing I wanna do is mess things up for you and him. Besides, what we just did, it didn’t mean anything. It wasn’t serious or romantic or any of that. It was just fun.” Kira asked, “You’re right, but do you think we can convince Adam of that?” That’s when Adam made his entrance. He pushed open the door and said, “I don’t think you girls will have a problem with convincing me of anything.” As soon as he walked in, the girls quickly covered themselves up. Kira covered every part of herself with the bedspread except for her legs and Sarah covered herself with the pillows. Adam said, “Talk about getting a little morning glory.” Kira asked him, “How did you get in here? I thought I locked the door.” He replied, “No. You only closed the door.” Then Kira remembered something and said, “Oh yeah. I forgot that our guestroom door doesn’t have a lock. No wonder you were able to come in like that.” Adam sighed and said, “It doesn’t matter how I came in here. I just want to get out of this robe and into my clothes. So I’m just gonna grab my stuff and change in another room. You two might wanna get cleaned up and then get dressed as well.” He picked up his shirt, socks, and shoes and walked out. Kira looked at Sarah and asked, “Do you think he’s upset at me?” Sarah replied, “No, absolutely not. He’s probably just shocked and taken aback about seeing us together like this.” Kira wrapped the bedspread around her, got up from the floor and said, “Maybe I should probably go talk to him anyway, just to make sure he’s okay.” Sarah replied, “Okay. I’m gonna get cleaned up and wait for you guys downstairs.”

 

Kira walked down the hallway and found Adam in her room putting on his clothes. He had already put his boxers on and taken off the robe. She watched as he slipped on his jeans. She knocked on the door and walked in. She looked at Adam and said, “Hi.” He looked back at her and said in an emotionless way, “Hi.” He reached for one of his shirts and she asked, “Are you mad at me?” He replied, “No I’m not mad, I’m just surprised, disappointed, confused and most of all, I’m hurt. I’m hurt that you would do something like that before you really knew a person.” He slipped on his shirt as she said, “Well if it’s any consolation to you, she told me about what she did to you, about making you give her a feel-ski and all that, but I’m not angry about it.” Adam said, “Yeah, I heard her tell you.” Kira moved closer to him and said, “You have to understand Adam that I didn’t expect this to happen. It was a spur of the moment thing. It was like, as soon as I saw her naked body, curiosity got the better of me and I couldn’t help myself. Speaking of which, how much of that did you happen to see and did you like what you saw?” He slipped on his other shirt and replied, “All I saw was the part where you two sat up and were rubbing against each other and I’m not answering that other part.” She walked up closer to him until they were three feet apart from each other. She gazed into his brown eyes and said, “Adam, you are my new friend and you’re only going to be here until your truck’s fixed. So we should make the most out of what little time we have together. Besides, I’d hate to ruin what could be a long lasting friendship. I say we just forget about this incident and enjoy the rest of the day.” Then she leaned in really close as if to kiss him but he backed away and said, “As much as I’d enjoy that, maybe now’s not the best time for it. Besides, the gang will probably be waiting for us at the diner and you still have to get dressed. So whenever you’re ready, I’ll be waiting downstairs.” He walked out of her room and went back downstairs leaving her to get dressed.

 

Sarah was already dressed and sitting on the couch when he came downstairs. Adam plopped down on the chair without even bothering to look at her. She asked, “Adam?” He neither moved nor looked at her.  She said, “Okay Adam, you don’t have to look at me, but at least hear me out. You don’t have to be angry at Kira. She’s not to blame for any of this. I’m the one who was caught naked and touching my self. Kira likes you and it’s plain to see that you like her. So if you’re gonna be mad at anyone, be mad at me.” Adam sighed and then said, “I’m not mad. I’m not mad at anyone. I’m mad at everything around me. It hasn’t even been a week since we’ve been out of school and already this vacation is falling apart, especially with that truck of mine out of commission. My dad and I have had that thing for seven years and there’s never been a problem with it until now. My friends and I shouldn’t be here right now. We should be in Gary trying to catch a ball game or two. This whole thing’s a disaster waiting to happen.” Kira, who had come downstairs, heard everything he’d said and couldn’t help but feel sympathetic for him. She motioned for Sarah to keep quiet as she came up behind Adam. She reached from behind the chair and put her hands on his chest. As she began to move her hands up towards his shoulders, she asked him in a rather soothing voice, “Do you feel better now, you poor baby?” Adam responded by taking hold of her left hand and kissing it. Then he said, “Kira, I forgive you and Sarah. Also, I’ve umm, had a few minutes to think about what you were saying, and I realize that you were right. We should be taking advantage of what little time we have together and we shouldn’t let small things like this get in our way. So, I suggest that we all forget about what happened and enjoy the rest of the day. Speaking of which, we should probably get going. The rest of the crew is probably at the diner wondering where we are.” With that, he stood up and held out his hand which Kira took hold of. Then he looked at Sarah and held out his other hand which she also took hold of. Together, the three of them walked out of the house and started off for the diner.

 

It turned out that Adam was right, because sure enough, the rest of the crew were already at the café sitting in various booths, except for Conner who was in the kitchen helping Justin. Sarah saw Johnny and decided to sit with him. Adam and Kira sat in a booth near the restrooms. While they waited for Conner, Kira said to Adam, “You know something Adam? You never got to introduce me to any of your friends last night.” Adam replied, “You know what? You’re right. I guess I might as well point them out to you as long as we’re here.” He began to point them out as he continued, “Do you see the three people sitting over there with Nikki? The one with the red hat is my best friend Eric Myers. The two people sitting across from him are my stepsister Jen Scotts and my friend Trip Regis. The people sitting in the next booth are the rest of my friends: Wes Collins, Tori Hanson, Lucas Kendall, and Katie Walker. They’re all like my second family and I’m sure you’ll all come to like eachother really quick.” Kira looked at them one at a time and replied, “They all seem really nice Adam.” Adam said, “Oh they are, believe me.” Conner came up to them and said, “Good morning. May I take your order?” Adam ordered a breakfast sandwich and Kira ordered a breakfast platter. While they waited for their food, Adam asked, “So um, is it just you and your dad or is there anyone else in your family?” She replied, “Well there is my mom. My parents separated from each other about five years ago. Her name is Michelle and she lives out in Calumet City. I haven’t seen her in almost two years.” After Conner brought them their food, Kira asked, “Say Adam? How do you feel about performing again with me tonight?” He replied, “That sounds like fun. But you know what? I think I’ll talk to Justin about letting me and the band perform tonight. Maybe you could even perform with us if you’d like.” Kira gave him the thumbs up sign and said, “I’d like that a lot.”

 

After breakfast, Kira offered to give Adam and his friends a tour of the town, to which he replied, “I think we’d all appreciate that Kira, but I have to ask you. What’s there to do in this town?” She said, “There’s plenty to do in this town Adam. We can go to the park, or the movies. We could also go to the bookstore or the radio station. Nikki has a pool in her backyard if you’d like to check that out or else we could go swimming in the creek. What do you think?” Eric took off his hat, wiped his forehead and said, “I don’t know about you guys, but I think going swimming is the best case scenario right now.” Everybody agreed except for Adam who replied, “You know what? You guys go on ahead to the creek. I think I’m just gonna spend the day with Kira. Oh, one more thing. Be sure to get all of our gear and bring it all over to the café later on. I got a little surprise for us. Don’t forget okay? I’m counting on you.”

So everyone went their separate ways. Sarah decided to check out the radio station with Johnny, Eric and the rest of the band headed for the creek, and Adam and Kira took off for the park.

 

        At the radio station, Johnny was giving Sarah the grand tour. First he showed her the storage room where they kept all of the records and old cassettes. Next he showed her the sound booth and the broadcasting booth. Third of all, he showed her the recording studio and he explained to her that this was where Kira and the girls would record their first album. Finally, he brought her into the staff lounge and turned on the coffee pot. He asked, “Would you like some coffee Sarah?” She shook her head and replied, “No thank you Johnny. I could never stand the stuff.” Johnny said, “Suit yourself.” Sarah sat down and asked, “So what do you wanna do now?” Johnny sat down across from her and said, “Well, maybe we could just talk and get to know each other better. How’s that sound?” Sarah smiled and said, “I’d like that. I’d like that very much.” So basically for the next half-hour or so, they just sat there and talked to each other.

 

        Elsewhere down by the creek, Eric, Jen, and the rest of the gang were relaxing either on the grass or in the water. Lucas, Wes, and Eric were wading in the water up to their stomachs. Trip was sitting on the grass playing a tune on his harmonica. Jen, Tori, and Katie were all lying on the grass together and soaking up the sun, but unlike Tori and Jen, Katie was sitting ankle deep in the water. Jen asked, “So girls, what do you think of our new friends?” Tori lifted up her sunglasses and replied, “I think they’re all really nice, especially Nikki and Charlie. I like Rachel and Ethan too. I personally think they make for a cute couple, although their relationship probably can’t compare to any of ours.” Katie said, “I think Conner and Monica are pretty cool. Trent seems pretty nice too. I especially like those sketches of his. Maybe I’ll ask if he’ll draw me before we leave.” Jen said, “Johnny seems okay, but I’m still not sure about Sarah. There’s just something about her that I can’t figure out. Oh well, I guess it is best not to dwell on questions that can’t be answered. It’s a beautiful day and I’m gonna try to enjoy it all.” She sat up, reached behind her head and removed the clip holding up her hair, letting it flow down. It was only at that very moment that Trip had stopped playing his harmonica and was looking over at Jen. As he watched her let her hair down, all he could think was, “What is it about girls letting their hair down that men like me find so darned attractive?” That was one question he just didn’t have an answer for.

 

        Meanwhile at the park, Adam and Kira were talking it up, laughing it up and having a good time on the playground. They tried everything from the slide to the monkey bars, to the swinging tire to the tunnels, to the teeter totter to finally the swings. Best of all, Adam had turned his frown upside down and he was enjoying his time with Kira. They were both sitting on the swings slowly pumping back and forth. Kira asked him, “So do you feel better yet?” He kicked at some wood chips and replied, “Yes. I’m feeling a little bit better. Can I ask you something Kira?” She chuckled and said, “You just did.” He chuckled and asked, “No seriously though, can I?” She replied, “Okay, shoot.” He said, “First off, this probably isn’t a question you’re asked on a regular basis. You don’t have to answer it if you don’t wanna. I’ll understand if you don’t.” Kira shook her head and said, “Adam, you’re stalling. What is it?” He took a deep breath and asked, “Do you believe in love at first sight?” She was silent for a moment but then she smiled and said, “Most of the time… I really do. What about you?” Adam said, “Up until I met you, I didn’t believe in it myself.” He slowly leaned in close as if to kiss her but then he stopped short. He didn’t feel like pushing the envelope, so to speak. Kira smiled at him and mouthed, “Thank you.” Adam checked his watch and it read 1:00. He asked Kira, “So what should we do now?” Kira said, “I don’t know, what do you think we should do?” Adam thought for a minute and said, “You know what? I just remembered something, all of our equipment and my graduation gifts are at Russell’s house. I’ve had the gifts for almost a week and I still haven’t used any of them. What do you say we go over there and check them out and maybe have ourselves a private jam session?” Kira stood up and said, “I’d be delighted to do that.” Adam stood up as well and held out his right hand, which Kira took hold of with her left hand. Together, they walked over to Russell’s house.

 

        They walked past the trailer which was still sitting outside. Adam knocked on the door but there was no answer. He knocked again and there was still no answer. He looked at Kira and said, “I guess that Russell must be out trying to find a carburetor for my truck.” Kira replied, “Maybe you’re right. But hold on, let me try something.” She reached for the doorknob, turned it, and pushed it open. She smiled and strolled right into the house. Adam just stood in the doorway too stunned to move and too confused to think. Kira stuck her head out and asked, “Are you coming in or not?” All Adam could ask was, “Who leaves their door unlocked?” Kira took him by the hand and pulled him inside. She said to him, “Adam, we’re in a town that nobody believes exists. Everybody knows each other so it’s not like someone’s gonna break in and ransack the place.” He replied, “Oh yeah, I forgot.” He followed her inside and went straight to the guest room. He rummaged through everything until he found the bag with his gifts. As he reached out to pick it up, he saw his suitcase sitting next to it and he realized that he was still wearing the clothes he’d worn yesterday. So he took both bags and decided to change into some clean clothes. While he was busy doing that, Kira was in the living room checking out and admiring the instruments. She looked at the guitars, the drum set, and the keyboard. She picked up the Gibson Les Paul and began to strum it softly. She was so busy playing that she didn’t notice Adam standing in the hallway. His backpack was perched on his shoulder and he had his gift bag in his hand. He set the stuff on the table and sat down next to her. She opened her eyes and smiled at him. He asked, “Do you like that guitar?” She nodded her head as he continued, “That’s Eric’s guitar. Mine’s a Fender Stratocaster. Here, let me show it to you.” He got up and picked up his guitar carrier, took out the Stratocaster and sat back down. Together they began to play In My Life by the Beatles. They also played Ticket to Ride, All My Loving, Yesterday, P. S. I Love You, Do You Want to Know a Secret, If I Fell, This Boy, and Nowhere Man. Then they began to play some Elvis Presley songs including Follow That Dream, I’m Not the Marrying Kind, Angel, What a Wonderful Life, Sound Advice, King of the Whole Wide World, This is Living, I got Lucky, Riding the Rainbow, A Whistling Tune, and of course One Broken Heart for Sale and Return to Sender. Then their fingers began to get sore so they decided to stop playing. They put the guitars in the carriers and set them on the floor. Adam said, “Wow. You’re pretty good at that Kira. I didn’t think you would know all of those songs.” She replied, “Are you kidding? I practically grew up listening to Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and the Beach Boys. They’re all my musical influences. I think the first song I ever heard was Return to Sender.” Adam said, “Me too. But the first song I ever heard was either This is Living or I’m Not the Marrying Kind. I just can’t remember which one it was.” Kira said, “You wanna know something? My dad gave me my first acoustic guitar when I was nine years old and I’d been playing ever since then. Three years ago, he bought me another guitar for my fifteenth birthday. It was one of those Gibson Flying-V guitars.” Adam asked, “You have a Gibson Flying-V? I’ve always wanted to play one of those. Maybe you could show it to me later.” Kira straightened out her dress and asked, “Adam?” He looked at her and said, “Yes Kira?” She said, “I want the truth. What did Sarah do to make you kiss her and touch her like you did?” He sighed and said, “Oh boy. It was just one of those things you know?” She moved closer until their knees touched and said, “I want you to tell me everything, and I want you to show me everything too.” Adam wasn’t really feeling up to it but he realized that Kira would probably do the same thing that Sarah had done, so he succumbed. He leaned back and rested his head on the couch pillow and said, “Well, we were outside in the yard sitting on some lawn chairs. She had just sung a song for me and I was complimenting her singing. She got up from her chair and lied down on top of me.” He paused as Kira leaned forward so her body was on top of his, “Like this?” She asked. He continued, “Yeah. Then she put her arms around me.” Kira did exactly that and asked, “Like this?” He said, “Mm-hmm. Then she leaned down really close to me and kissed me for about a minute and I guess I kissed her back.” Kira leaned forward and kissed him passionately as he kissed her back. She finally pulled back and asked, “Was it like that?” Adam replied, “Absolutely.” Then Kira asked, “Now tell me how she made you touch her.” He replied, “Well, after she stopped kissing me, she lifted up her shirt, took hold of my wrists and placed my hands on her breasts for about three minutes.” Kira began to lift up her shirt when they both heard the door open. Kira quickly pulled her shirt down and they both sat up. It was Russell who was coming inside the house. He waltzed into the living room with a dirty rag in his hands. He looked up at them and said, “Oh, Kira and Adam. How’s it going?” Adam looked at Kira, smiled and replied, “Right now, I’d say that everything’s going just fine.” Kira added, “Yeah, me too. Everything’s great.” Russell said, “Good. Don’t let me hear any different. Oh, I’ve um, got some good news for you Adam. One of the garages I checked out is gonna be receiving a load of carburetors on Thursday. So if all goes well, I can have that truck of yours fixed and ready to go by Saturday morning. What do you say to that?” Adam halfheartedly replied, “That’s awesome. Thanks a lot Russ.”  He wasn’t sure whether he meant it or not. Russell said, “Oh, there’s one other thing. I saw your friends outside when I pulled up. They said they were coming over to get the instruments as well as their belongings.” Adam asked, “Already? Wait, what time is it?” Kira checked her watch and said, “It’s a quarter past five. Boy, where has the time gone?” Adam replied, “Time flies when you’re having fun, or in our case, when we’re rocking out loud.” The rest of the gang came inside the living room. Lucas looked at Adam and said, “Hey A.T.L., you missed one heck of a day of fun.” Wes added, “Yeah Adam T. You missed a lot. That little brook was cool and refreshing.” Trip threw in his two bits and said, “Plus, you missed getting to hear me play my harmonica. I felt like a true performer of the blues.” Adam said, “You guys can tell me all about it later. Right now, I think that what we need to do is get all of our gear and take it over to the diner.” Eric asked, “Why man? What do we need them for?” Adam replied, “It’s a surprise, so don’t go asking questions all right?” Jen asked, “Why can’t you just tell us what it’s about?” Adam sighed and said, “All right. When we get to the diner, I’m gonna ask Justin if he’ll let us perform tonight instead of Kira and the others. You all saw how much they loved me last night. Well now we have to make them love you guys. That’s why I want us to perform tonight. Now what do you guys have to say to that?” Lucas replied, “That’s totally awesome man.” Wes added, “You’re the coolest Adam.” Katie went up to Adam and thanked him by kissing him on the cheek. Trip said, “I can hardly wait buddy.” Tori said, “You rock Adam.” Eric added, “You are the best buddy.” So they grabbed all of their equipment and belongings and (with a little help from Russell and Kira) hauled everything all the way over to the diner.

 

        They all entered the diner and put each of their belongings in the booth by the door. Then they put all of their instruments backstage for when they needed them. The rest of the townsfolk were already there sitting in various tables and booths conversing with each other and placing their dinner orders. Kira saw her dad and decided to go sit with him. Russell went to sit with Rachel and Ethan. Adam and the rest of the group sat at the counter once again. Conner came out of the kitchen balancing two trays of food. He noticed Adam and said, “Hey guys. I’ll be right with you.” Adam replied, “Take your time Conner. We’re in no hurry.” He looked into the kitchen and saw Justin. He asked, “Hey uh, Justin, do you have a minute?” Justin replied, “Hold on Adam. I’ll be with you as soon as I finish fixing these burgers and sandwiches.” Conner finished serving the food and headed back towards the kitchen to pick up the next order. He said to Adam, “As soon as I take care of these orders, I’ll be ready to take yours too.” Adam looked at Eric and Jen and asked, “Is it just me or do Conner and Justin have too much work on their hands?” Eric replied, “It certainly would seem that way man.” Justin wiped his hands with a paper towel and came out of the kitchen. He said, “Okay Adam, now I can talk. What’s on your mind?” Adam asked, “What would you say if I were to suggest that my friends and I play as the house band tonight?” Justin replied, “I’d say that that’s a mother lode of an idea. I like it. I’ll uh have a word with Anthony, Roger, and Johnny and see what they think about it.” Justin excused himself as Conner came back behind the counter and said, “Okay, now I’m ready to take your orders.” The girls ordered sandwiches and side salads. Eric, Wes, Lucas, and Trip ordered some burgers and onion rings. Conner asked, “How ‘bout you Adam? What’ll you have?” Before Adam could answer, there was a really, really loud grumbling noise that seemed to echo throughout the entire diner. Conner asked, “What in the name of all that is good and decent was that?” Adam replied, “That was my stomach C-man. I haven’t eaten anything since that breakfast sandwich this morning.” Conner said, “Well, judging from that grumble, I’d say you must have a ravenous appetite right about now.” Adam replied, “Yeah. Now that you mention it, I am feeling pretty hungry. So I think I’ll have a grilled cheese sandwich, a side of fries, a chicken strips platter, and a double dog if you make that.” Conner said, “I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ll get started on your meal first.” He picked up the menus and went into the kitchen. Justin came back around the counter and said, “Hey Adam, we talked it over and guess what? You and your friends are playing tonight.” Adam replied, “That’s great Justin. Thanks.” Conner said, “Hey uncle J, I need some help back here with this food.” Justin went back into the kitchen to help out his nephew. In no time at all, they both brought out the orders to Adam and his friends. Adam and his friends were so filled with excitement that they could hardly contain themselves as they gorged themselves.

 

        After polishing off that gourmet meal, Lucas popped a toothpick in his mouth and said, “Man that’s what I call some real down-home cooking.” Adam replied, “I agree wholeheartedly. I just hope you guys have had your fill.” Then he looked at Justin and asked, “Hey Justin, when do we go on?” Justin looked at the clock and said, “I’d say you guys got about fifteen minutes before show time.” Eric suggested, “Maybe we should get backstage and get ready.” Adam replied, “You guys go on ahead. I’ll catch up with you in a minute.” Eric and the others got up and went onto the stage and behind the curtains while Adam stayed behind and continued drinking his glass of pop. Conner came out to collect the glasses and the dishes. He looked at Adam and asked, “What’s wrong Adam?” Adam looked up and asked, “What?” Conner replied, “I said what’s wrong. You look like you’re depressed.” Adam said, “Yeah, well a lot has happened today and I’m still trying to take it all in.” Conner again replied, “Hey uh, Russell told us the good news about finding you a replacement carburetor. Isn’t that great? You and your friends could be out of here by Saturday morning.” Adam halfheartedly said, “Yeah I know.” Conner said, “Well you don’t sound happy about it.” Adam said, “No. No I am believe me I am. It’s just that…” He paused, looked over at Kira, and continued, “I’m just not so sure that I want us to leave yet.” Conner looked over and replied, “Oh. Of course, I get it. It’s Kira right?” Adam said, “Yeah, she’s incredible.” Conner asked, “You like her, yes?” Adam asked, “Hmm. Does it show?” Conner replied, “You should tell her.” Adam said, “Conner, it was hard enough for me to accept the fact that a girl like her would even talk to me, let alone hang out with me. The thought that a girl like her could love me is another thing entirely.” Conner simply said, “As long as you think that way, it will be that way.” Adam said, “Conner, love is a complicated thing. It’s kind of like an entirely different language almost.” Conner replied, “There’s only one language of the heart Adam. Speak to her in it, and trust me, she will listen and she will understand.” Adam thought that over for a minute and then said, “You’re right Conner, and I know just the way to do it. I’ll sing some love songs when we’re up on stage. Maybe she’ll get the message.” He chugged down the rest of his pop, got up and headed for the stage. He stopped short, turned around and said, “Hey Conner, wish me luck man.” Conner asked, “With what, your performance or with Kira?” Adam thought and said, “Both.” Conner replied, “Very well then, break a leg.” Adam walked onto the stage and slipped in behind the curtain. Everyone was doing a final check. Lucas was adjusting his keyboard system, Eric and Tori were tuning their guitars and Trip was setting up the smoke machines. Adam saw his guitar in the corner so he went over and picked it up. He turned around and said, “All right guys, listen up. If it’s alright with the rest of you, I wanna do a solo number to start us off.” Eric asked, “What do you wanna do that for?” Adam replied, “I wanna sing With a Little Help from My Friends. This way, the folks will see and know how much I appreciate and care about you guys. It’ll show them how much you guys really mean to me.” Jen said, “That’s very considerate of you and it’s not a half bad idea.” Adam replied, “Okay then. I’ll get out there and warm them up, and you guys just be ready for when I introduce you all.”

 

        Johnny stepped up to the stage and spoke into the microphone, “Ladies and gentlemen. We have a real treat for you. Tonight, we are proud to welcome a group of young individual musicians. Here they are folks, making their debut appearance here in Piedmont Cove; let’s give it up for Adam and the Alley Cat Blues.” Adam pulled open the curtains and stepped out. He rose up his hands and said, “Thank you everybody. My friends and I talked it over and they agreed to let me do a solo performance before I introduce the rest of the band.” He reached back behind the curtain and pulled out a stool. He set it in front of the microphone, sat down and began to play With a Little Help from My Friends. By the end of the song, everyone was giving him a standing ovation. Adam said, “Thank you ladies and gentlemen. Now, it is my distinct honor and pleasure to introduce to you my best friends in the whole world, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Alley Cat Blues!” Trip and Johnny quickly began to pull the ropes. The curtain opened up and each of his friends took a bow. Eric said, “Thank you Piedmont Cove. Are you guys ready to start rockin’?” They replied with a great big applause. Adam said, “Okay then, let’s start rollin’.” They played several love songs like Uptown Girl, Somebody’s Baby, Come Go with Me, In Too Deep, I’m Not Crazy, If You’re Gone, You Get What You Give, An Everlasting Love, Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, The Reason, Brighter Than Sunshine, and You and Me. They ended up playing long into the night, but Adam wasn’t the only one who sang. The girls sang a few songs. Sarah even joined them onstage for a few songs. At one point, Adam let Eric sing a few songs while he asked Kira to dance with him. Eric sang You Make Me Feel like Dancing, When a Man Loves a Woman, Stand by Me, Happy Together, and Dancing in the Moonlight. Kira joined them onstage for the last performance of the evening. She and Adam sang A Whole New World.

 

        It was 2:00 in the morning before everyone finally called it a night. The gang packed up their equipment and grabbed the rest of their stuff. Conner and Justin locked up the diner and everyone headed home. Sarah went with the girls and Adam went along with his buddies to the separate houses. Everyone was so wiped out that they all wound up sleeping until noon. Eric and the guys were anxious to explore the rest of the town, but Adam was too exhausted to leave the house, so he decided to stay behind and check out all of his graduation gifts. He was busy watching Life as We Know It on his portable player when Kira made her way into the house. His back was to her so he didn’t notice her walk in. She came up behind him, kneeled down and asked, “What are you watching?” Adam was so surprised that he nearly jumped out of his skin. He turned around and said, “Don’t ever do that again! God, I hate it when people sneak up on me like that. You nearly gave me a heart attack.” Kira replied, “Sorry Adam, but I did knock to let you know I was here. You obviously didn’t hear me because you were too busy watching whatever you’re watching.” Adam straightened himself out and said, “I happen to be watching the short lived series Life as We Know It with Sean Faris and Missy Peregrym. It’s a drama show about three teenage high school boys and their girlfriends dealing with basic teenage problems, the biggest of which is sex. It’s a really good one.” Kira asked, “So what are you doing here by yourself? I figured you’d be out and about with your friends or you’d come looking for me.” Adam replied, “Normally I would, but I wore myself out playing and singing last night.” Kira put her arms around him and said, “That’s too bad, because I was hoping we could spend the day together.” Adam replied, “We still can. We could take this and the rest of my stuff upstairs to one of the rooms and watch this together.” Kira objected playfully, “Aw, but Adam, I don’t want to stay inside all day. I wanna be outside getting some fresh air.” Adam asked, “Didn’t you get enough of it yesterday? Besides, what else could you possibly show me in this little town?”  Kira replied, “Well, I haven’t shown you any of the shops around here and you haven’t seen the radio station, the theater, or the gas station.” Adam said, “Well I was hoping to just stay in today. Why don’t you stay in with me? Maybe we could cuddle up with each other or something.” Kira rubbed against his shoulders and said, “I assure you, there will be plenty of time for cuddling later on.” Adam was too exhausted to argue with her, plus he remembered what she said about their time together having a limit and everything. So he gave into temptation and mustered up what little strength he had left in his muscles. He slowly stood up and said, “I just don’t know why I can’t say no to you. So, where are we going first?” Kira said, “I think that the radio station is our best bet.” So they headed out of the house and quickly made their way to the station.

 

        Kira basically gave him the same tour that Johnny had given Sarah. But instead of bringing him into the staff lounge, she suggested, “Adam, I’ve got a great idea. Why don’t we check out the recording studio and cut ourselves a few demos?” Adam said, “That sounds great, but I don’t know if I can do that because my voice is still feeling a little low from last night.” Kira replied, “You don’t have to sing loud, just sing softly enough so it doesn’t hurt your voice.” Kira sat at the control panel while Adam went into the recording booth. He sat down on a stool, put on some headphones, and tapped the microphone. Kira adjusted the controls until the sounds matched his voice. He started off by singing a few Elvis Presley songs. He sang Flaming Star, Summer Kisses Winter Tears, Young and Beautiful, I Want to Be Free, Don’t Ask Me Why, Crawfish, Young Dreams, Lover Doll, Home is Where the Heart is, Didja Ever, Beyond the Bend, and Pocketful of Rainbows. The last song made him a little teary-eyed. It made Kira feel somewhat teary-eyed as well. Kira finally said to him, “Okay Adam, I think it’s your turn to listen to me now.” Adam nodded as he removed the headphones and got up. Kira went inside, put on the headphones and sat down. She began to sing Permanent Midnite by Saucy Monky. Then she sang three Sam Cooke songs: Cupid, Chain Gang, and What a Wonderful World This Would Be. Finally, she sang a few songs by the Four Seasons: Sherry, Big Girls Don’t Cry, Walk like a Man, December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night), Dawn (Go Away), Working My Way Back to You, Rag Doll, and Who Loves You. By the time they finished cutting their demos, it was almost four in the afternoon. Adam said, “I swear your voice just keeps getting better and better all the time.” Kira replied, “Thanks. I think yours is getting better too.” Adam looked at his watch and said, “Boy, time really does fly when you’re having fun. What do you say we head over to the diner and get some chow?” Kira pushed her hair back, smiled and said, “Sounds like a plan.” Adam picked up their CDs and the both of them left the radio station.

 

        As they walked towards the café, Adam looked at Kira and asked, “Can I tell you something Kira?” She replied, “Sure, go ahead.” He cleared his throat and said, “It’s starting to become clear to me that the more time I spend with you, the more I find myself liking you, and the more I like you, the more I regret the moment when my friends and I will leave here.” Kira replied, “That’s very deep of you Adam, but don’t you mean if?” Adam asked, “What?” Kira said, “Adam, there’s nothing set in stone that says you guys have to stay here, but there’s nothing that says you and your friends don’t have to stay here either. If you really do care about me as much you say you do, then maybe you should talk it over with your friends. I’m sure that they’ll all support you if you tell them, especially Eric since he feels the same way about Nikki, and Sarah might agree with you since she feels the same about Johnny.” Adam asked, “Do you really think so?” She replied, “No doubt about it. From what you’ve told me, you and your friends have supported each other all your lives. So there’s no reason why they shouldn’t support you now.” Adam nodded his head and said, “Maybe you’re right. I’ll see if I can talk it over with them after dinner.”

 

Adam and Kira both entered the café and sat down at the counter. Eric, Jen, and the others came up and sat with them. Trip said, “Hey Adam, you missed a lot of fun today. We hung out at the park and we checked out the bookstore.” Lucas added, “That bookstore has the coolest stuff ever. It had movies, books, CDs, magazines, comic books and even a coffee shop.” Conner came up and took their orders. They mostly ordered some sandwiches and burgers. Adam and Kira shared a platter of chicken strips and French fries. After dinner, Kira, Charlie, and Nikki got up and headed backstage to rehearse. Adam chugged down the last of his soda and said, “Hey guys, would you mind gathering around? I wanna talk to you about something.” They all moved in closer and Eric asked, “What’s up buddy?” Adam asked, “What do you guys think of this place?” Sarah asked in a joking way, “What, the café?” Adam giggled and said, “No. I meant what do you guys think of the town, like what are your general perspectives about Piedmont Cove?” They all responded one by one. Sarah said, “It’s certainly hospitable, I’ll give it that. What really catches me is that Johnny character. I think he’s smooth and sexy.” Katie said, “I personally think this place is great.” Wes said, “Let me put it this way man, if I could describe heaven, it would resemble this little town.” Tori said, “I agree with Wes. This town is like heaven on earth.” Trip said, “As hard as it is for me to believe, this place is actually starting to grow on me, and that’s no lie.” Lucas said, “Well, this town sure is peaceful, I’ll give it that. It’s also got a lot of friendly features as well as friendly townsfolk.” Eric said, “I think everyone’s really nice around here, especially Nikki. I’m really growing fond of her.” Finally, Jen said, “I’m slowly but surely beginning to like it here too. I wouldn’t mind living here.” Adam looked at her and asked, “Do you mean that Jen?” She replied, “Yeah. I guess so.” Adam suggested, “Then how about it? What do you guys say that we all move down here together and make this place our new home?” Everyone was so taken aback in surprise and shock that they didn’t know what to say. Finally, Jen said, “Wow Adam. That’s an awfully big proposition you’re throwing at us. I’m afraid we’re gonna need some time to think about this.” Trip held up his hand and said, “Ding-dong. I’d like to interject for a second and say something. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and give my decision right now. If Adam wants to stay here, well then doggone it, I’m gonna stand beside him all the way.” Lucas added, “I say ditto to that Tripper.” Katie said, “Well if Lucas, Trip and Adam want to stay here, then they’re gonna need a sisterly figure like me around.” Eric threw in his two bits and asked, “What kind of best friend would I be if I didn’t stick around to support my buddy when he needs it?” Wes said, “I’m with you all the way A.T.L.” Tori added, “Same here Adam. I’m with you to the end.” Sarah added, “I know that I’m not technically part of the group yet, but I’m willing to stay here with the rest of you guys.” Adam looked at Jen and said, “Well Jen, it seems to me that everyone else has already thought it over and made their decision. I guess it all comes down to you my dear stepsister.” Jen said, “Well I’m just gonna take my time and think this over thoroughly before I do something I might regret.” Adam replied, “Whenever you’re ready to decide what it is you wanna do, you just say the word to me.” Jen said, “Don’t worry. When I make my decision, believe me you’ll be the first to know.”

 

        After Kira and the girls finished their performance for the evening, Kira went up to Adam and asked, “Can I see you outside for a minute?” Adam quickly got up and they both stepped outside. She asked, “Well, how did it go and what did they say?” He replied, “It went well. Everyone’s convinced that this place might not be so bad to live in. Jen’s the only one who’s not convinced quite yet.” Kira said, “I guess that stepsister of yours has a one-track mind.” Adam replied sarcastically, “More like a one-crack mind.” They both looked at each other and then quickly broke out in laughter. Adam said, “Come on. Let’s go back inside because I’m sure everyone will be itching for us to perform.” They went back inside as Johnny began to call them up to the stage. Adam picked up his guitar and spoke into the microphone, “Thank you everyone. We’re gonna take things a little slow with a little soul music. This first one goes out to all the lovely ladies in this little establishment, especially my girl Kira.” He began strumming and before you knew it, he was singing My Girl by the Temptations. He also sang Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Limbo Rock, its All Right, Smokestack Lightning, My Babe, Under the Boardwalk, On Broadway, Blue Moon, Save the Last Dance for Me, Walk Away Renee, and Baby, I Need Your Lovin’. They finally closed up shop at a quarter to two.

 

They all woke up late that Wednesday morning. All that Adam and his friends had to look forward too was a day of relaxation followed by a night of fun at Nikki’s party. Jen, Katie and Tori decided to lay out by the creek and do a little tanning in the sun. Lucas, Wes, and Trip wanted to check out the radio station. Sarah planned to meet up with Johnny at the bookstore. Adam and Eric decided to find and spend the day with their girls. They decided to start by looking at the café. They entered and were immediately greeted by Justin. He said, “Good morning boys. What can we get you?” Adam replied, “Nothing right now Justin, but thanks. We were just looking for Kira and Nikki. Are they here?” Justin said, “You know what? I don’t actually, but Conner might know. He was on his way to the grocery store with Ethan and Trent the last time I saw him. If you hurry, you can still catch them.” Eric said, “Okay, thanks Justin.” They quickly bolted out the door and took off down the street towards the grocery store.

 

Eric and Adam entered the grocery store and the first two familiar faces they saw were Rachel and Monica standing over by the delicatessen. Adam approached them and said, “Good morning ladies.” Monica turned around and said, “Hi y’all.” Rachel said, “Morning boys.” Eric asked, “By any chance, have either of you seen Nikki or Kira?” Monica said, “Oh yeah. They’re ‘round here somewhere. Everybody’s here in fact.” Adam asked, “Really; how come?” Rachel replied, “Because Nikki needs to load up on supplies for her party tonight. She needs all the basics: food, refreshments, cups, utensils, plates, the whole enchilada. The reason we’re here is to help her load it all into her dad’s pickup truck and then we have to help her set it all up at her house.” Eric asked, “Say, what time does this party start anyway?” Monica said, “Well her dad’s gonna leave around seven so I’d say it’s gonna start around eight.” Adam said, “That should be pretty cool.” Eric added, “I can hardly stand the wait.” Adam said, “Well c’mon E-man, let’s split up and go find our girls.” Adam decided to look in the dairy section while Eric looked in the frozen food section. Adam eventually found Kira in the cereal and fruit snack section. She was rummaging through the granola bars when Adam came up behind her and covered her eyes with his hands and said, “Guess who.” Kira smiled and said, “Hi Adam.” He said, “Hey sweetie, what are you doing?” She replied, “Helping Nikki pick out supplies for the party tonight.” Adam replied, “Cool. So I guess I’ll see you there tonight?” Kira said, “I guess you will.” Meanwhile, Eric had found Nikki and Charlie in the chips and snacks section. He straightened out his hat and casually approached them. He cleared his throat and said, “Hi ladies.” They both turned around and Charlie said, “Hi there Eric.” Nikki said, “Hey baby.” Eric asked, “So, what’re you girls up to?” Nikki replied, “Oh, we’re just picking up a few odds and ends for the party tonight.” Charlie asked, “So will you guys be attending or do the Alley Cat Blues have a no party policy?” Eric chuckled and said, “No. We’ll be there all right. I um… I’m especially looking forward to seeing you tonight Nikki.” He slowly reached out and ran his fingers across her cheek. She said, “I’m really looking forward to seeing you tonight too.” Just then, Adam came around the corner and said, “Hey E-man. C’mon, we gotta get going.” Eric looked at Nikki and said, “Well, I’ll see you later. Bye for now.” As the boys left the grocery store, Eric asked, “Where are we going now?” Adam replied, “Well, I’ve seen just about everything there is to see in this town except for the bookstore, so that’s where we’re going now.”

 

The boys entered the bookstore and the first place Adam went was to the directory. He looked through it until he saw what he wanted to find. He looked at Eric and said, “Okay man. I’m gonna go upstairs and check out the movie section. Let me know if you need me for anything.” Eric gave him the thumbs up sign. Adam slowly made his way up the stairs to the movie section. He couldn’t believe how many movies there were in that entire section. He was rummaging through the musical section when he felt a pair of soft hands wrap around his stomach. He smiled and said, “Hello Kira.” A soft voice said, “Sorry, wrong answer. Would you care to guess again?” Adam gasped and pulled away. It was Sarah who had put her arms on him. He asked, “What’s the big idea Sarah?!” She began unbuttoning her blouse and asked, “What’s the matter? Aren’t you happy to see me?” When he saw what she was doing, he took hold of both of her wrists and said, “Hey! What the heck are you trying to do, start some trouble?!” Sarah replied, “What? It’s hot in here and I want to cool off. That’s why I’m taking off my blouse.” Adam let go of her and said, “I’m sorry Sarah. I didn’t mean to overreact like that. It’s just that first you put your arms around me and then you began unbuttoning your shirt. I thought maybe you were gonna try and put the moves on me again.” Sarah replied, “Now why would I do that when I know that you’re still a virgin and that you’re completely hung up on Kira? But I still meant what I said about promising to save myself for you.” Adam remarked, “Yeah, well you sure did a bang-up way of showing it when you slept with Kira the other day.” Sarah shrugged and said, “First of all, I don’t think you could call it sleeping together since we did it during the morning. Second of all, when I said I’d save myself for you, I meant I wouldn’t sleep with any other men. I never said I wouldn’t sleep with women because that’s a different story entirely.” Adam said, “Man, you just may be the weirdest, strangest, most uncontrollable, and most obnoxious girl I’ve ever met. I never should’ve stopped my truck to pick you up. I should’ve just kept on going and left you to wander the lonesome trail. Why I picked you up is because I’m too much of a gentleman. Maybe you should just go back to your Johnny boy. Speaking of which, where is he and furthermore, what are you going to do if he wants to try and hook up with you tonight?” Sarah replied, “Oh, he went to the store to help Nikki and the others with all of their stuff. I also saw your buddy Eric leave as well. So it looks like you and I have the whole bookshop to ourselves. As for hooking up tonight, I’ll handle it in my own way if the situation calls for it.” Adam asked, “So, you wanna find some place to sit so we can talk?” Sarah said, “Yeah sure.” Adam added, “Just to talk.” Sarah replied, “All right, fine.” So Adam and Sarah found a spot to rest in and they decided to talk things over with each other until they both came to a mutual understanding regarding their relationships with Kira, Johnny, and each other. They spent most of the rest of the afternoon talking together.

 

The night finally fell upon Piedmont Cove. Adam, Sarah and the rest of his friends gathered up in the town square. Together they all walked towards Nikki’s house. The boys pulled back a few inches from the girls because Lucas had something to tell them and give them. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a pack of contraceptives. He quickly began pulling them apart and handing them out to the others. He handed out one to Wes, Trip, and Eric. When he reached out to Adam, Adam was completely taken aback. Adam asked, “Lucas?! Where in the heck did you get those things and what’re you carrying them around for?” Lucas put his arm around Adam and said, “Adam, Adam, Adam. I’m about to give you a valuable little piece of advice, a very valuable piece of advice. I’ve been to quite a few make-out parties in my time. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that people can go from making out, to making love in a real hurry. So if anyone should happen to get lucky tonight, you might as well get lucky while protecting yourself and your girl.” Adam said, “You still didn’t answer my other question. Where did you get them?” Lucas replied, “I found a whole bunch of them in the pharmacy section at the grocery store, so I thought I’d grab some of them for us.” Adam took the condom unenthusiastically and looked at it. Then a thought struck him and he asked, “Are they at least silicone based contraceptives? Because you know that I’m highly allergic to that latex stuff.” Lucas replied, “Relax man. I didn’t forget about your allergy condition. Yours is a 100% pure silicone based condom. I made double sure of it. I have an extra one for you just in case.” Adam sighed and said, “Well anyway, thanks for looking out for me Lucas.” Lucas said, “Anytime old buddy, old pal, old dear good friend.” Adam put both of the condoms into his back pants pocket and the rest of the boys put them in either their pants pocket or their jacket pocket. Then they broke out in a quick sprint to catch up with the girls. All nine of them walked right up to Nikki’s house.

 

As soon as Adam and the gang entered the house, they were immediately greeted by Charlie. There was music blaring from the speakers in the front room as everyone hung up their coats except for Adam who wanted to keep his on. While Jen and the others settled themselves in the front room, Eric went over to talk with Nikki, Sarah went to look for Johnny, and Adam decided to look for Kira. Eric found Nikki in the dining room lighting some scented candles on the table. He came up behind her, put his arm around her waist and held her close so their skin touched. He said, “Hi Nikki.” She giggled and replied, “Hello Eric.” He let out a short sniff and said, “Those candles smell great. But they don’t smell nearly as great as you.” Nikki smiled and said, “Flattery will get you everywhere and anywhere with me baby.” Eric replied, “That’s kind of the general idea. You wanna go someplace and talk?” She said, “Oh, there’ll be plenty of time for us to do that later, I assure you.” Eric said, “Okay. We’ll meet up later.”

 

Meanwhile, Sarah had found Johnny down in the rumpus room. He was getting ready to shoot a game of billiards with Trent and Ethan. Rachel was sitting on the couch flipping through channels on the plasma-screen TV, and Charlie (who had followed Sarah downstairs) was now at the bar pouring herself a glass of sparkling cider. Sarah went up to him and said, “Hi Johnny.”  He replied, “Well howdy little Miss Sarah.” She asked, “Do you guys need a fourth?” Trent asked, “You know how to play?” She replied, “Yeah. My brother taught me how. We used to play the game all the time with our friends.” Ethan asked, “Are you any good?” Sarah replied, “Well I’m not great, but I’m not terrible either.” Johnny said, “I say we give her a chance and see what she’s got. Come on Sarah, you can be my teammate. Let’s rack them up.” Trent began pushing around the billiard rack while Sarah picked up a pool cue. Charlie sat down next to Rachel. She took a swig of her cider and said, “Rachel, can I ask you something?” Rachel raised and lowered one shoulder. Charlie said, “I was just curious. How does a plain Jane like you win the heart of a modern day Albert Einstein like Ethan?” Rachel replied, “Oh, well it’s just one of those things really. It all started during my junior year in high school. I was in a few advanced placement classes like English, science, and physics. I wasn’t doing too well with my grades, so I signed on for a tutor. My tutor ended up being Ethan. The more time we spent together, the more I found myself attracted to his intelligence, his wittiness, and his humorous ways. After I took my final exams, I mustered up the courage to ask him out. We’ve been together ever since.” Charlie said, “That’s an amazing story. I have a similar story about how I met Trent. We had art class together during our junior and senior years. I somehow always found myself admiring his work. One time, he asked me if I would model for him as part of an assignment, which I was all too happy to do. Once he was finished painting my portrait, I told him what I thought of it and then I asked him if he’d like to spend time with me. We began hanging out and pairing up in art class shortly thereafter. Once graduation day came around, we had become an inseparable couple.”

 

Back upstairs, Adam had made his way into the kitchen. He didn’t spot Kira, but he did spot Conner and Monica. Conner was at one end of the counter slicing up some deli meats and various cheeses on a cutting board, and Monica was at the other end of the counter chopping up vegetables. Adam cleared his throat and said, “Excuse me guys.” Conner looked up and said, “Oh, hi Adam. I’m glad you could make it to the party.” Adam said, “Thanks man. Have either of you seen Kira?” Monica looked up and said, “Oh yeah. She’s around here somewhere, and if I’m not mistaken, she brought her acoustic guitar along with her.” Adam asked, “Well where do you think she is?” Conner said, “Don’t worry about it Adam. You’ve been spending the whole week with her, and you’re probably gonna spend the rest of the night with her. In the meantime, you might as well unwind and enjoy yourself and this party.” He reached across the counter, picked up a slice of deli meat, held it out to Adam and said, “Here. Try some of this.” Adam took the piece of meat and bit into it. He smiled and said, “This is delicious. What is it?” Conner replied, “That is a fresh piece of smoked turkey. You ought to try the rest of the deli meats. Goodness knows we have plenty of it to go around.” Monica said, “Ooh, you’re darn tooting.” Adam finished chewing the piece of turkey and said, “Say guys? I don’t wanna sound rude or anything, but I’m curious. Monica, just how is it that a good ole Texas country bumpkin like yourself ends up winning over the heart of an all-American soccer athlete like Conner here?” Monica replied, “Well, it’s kind of a long story. It all started about three or four years ago. My family and I had just moved from Texas to Indiana. It was the beginning of my sophomore year and the first thing I did was go out for a few teams. I used to be a real athlete too. I went out for the women’s swim team, the tennis team, and the girl’s soccer team. I wound up making the team as the goalie. Conner saw how I was struggling with the power saves and he offered to help me out.” Conner said, “It’s true. Monica wasn’t doing so well making saves. We spent the next few weeks working together on saves and plays. We became close friends afterwards. By our senior year, we were an official couple.” Adam said, “Wow. That sounds like it would make a great romance novel, a short one at that, but a great one none the less.” Their discussion was interrupted as Nikki and Eric entered the kitchen. Adam asked, “Hey Nikki? Have you seen Kira anywhere?” She looked at him and replied, “Oh yeah. The last time I saw her, she was on her way upstairs. I think she might be out on the balcony patio.” He asked, “How can I get up there?” Nikki replied, “You can access it through my room or my dad’s room. Just go straight upstairs and my room is the first door on your left.” Adam said, “Okay. Thanks Nikki.” Adam began to leave, but he stopped short. He turned around, picked up a paper plate and began piling it up with various slices of deli meat. When he decided that he had enough to munch on, he left the kitchen and made his way to the staircase.

 

As Adam began making his way up the stairs, he suddenly realized something. What he was about to do right now was just like what he had done in his dreams. All he could think was “Wait a minute. Is this it? Is this what my dreams were about? Was all of that leading up to this? Is my fantasy finally going to come true?” He couldn’t answer the questions himself, but he knew that the answers lay ahead for him upstairs and outside on the patio. He reached the top of the stairs and entered Nikki’s room through the first door on the left just like she’d said. He paused for a minute and looked around her room. It was no different than any other girl’s bedroom that he’d seen before. It had a canopy bed, some posters of male pop stars, and there was an abundance of the colors purple and pink. It was then that Adam heard the sound of a guitar strumming. He looked outside and saw Kira sitting on a big black futon-esque couch. Her back was to him and she was singing. From what Adam could tell, she was singing Midnight Rider by Gregg Allman. As quietly as he could, he pushed open the door, walked outside, closed the door and locked it behind him. Adam paused and looked around the patio. He had never seen anything like it. Aside from the couch, there was also a glass table with an umbrella in the center, a canopy hammock on the left and a porch swing with a cabana cover on the right. He walked up behind the couch and set the platter of deli meats down next to her. She stopped playing and looked at the plate. Adam said, “Nikki told me that I might find you up here.” Kira batted her eyes at him and said, “Well you’re in the right place so your inside info was right.” Adam went around the left side of the couch and sat down next to Kira. He said, “Man, this place is absolutely amazing. I can see why you wanted to come up here.” She said, “Actually Adam, I sort of came up here to escape the party.” He asked, “How come?” She took off her shoes and replied, “Well, the last two times I came to Nikki’s party, I was the only one who didn’t have anybody to make-out with. So I came up here with my guitar and played long until the wee hours of the night. I could’ve made out with Johnny, but I knew that it would’ve been out of pity and I didn’t need that.” Adam slowly put his hand on her arm and began moving it up and down as he said, “Well, now that I’m here, maybe we could change all of that.” She rested her hand on his and said, “Adam, you are the nicest and most wonderful boy I’ve ever been lucky enough to meet, and whether you decide to stay or go, I’ll never forget about you.” Adam pulled back his hand so he could let out a short stretch. He asked, “Remember when you asked me if I liked seeing you and Sarah together and I told you I wouldn’t answer?” She replied, “Yeah.” He said, “Well the truth is I did like what I saw. In fact, I was jealous that I wasn’t part of it.” She said, “I’m really sorry about that.” He replied, “Ah, forget about it.” Then he asked, “May I see your guitar?” She said, “Sure.” and handed it to him. He put the strap around his shoulder and said, “You know, there was one soul song that I wanted to sing last night but I didn’t get a chance to do it. This one in particular always helps me when I’m feeling down.” He began to play and sing Up on the Roof by the Drifters. Then he sang Where Are You Tonight, Strawberry Fields Forever, I Should Have Known Better, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, and I Saw Her Standing There. Kira said, “You’re pretty darn good at that. How did you get into the world of music anyway?” Adam said, “I guess I owe all my thanks to Elvis Presley. From the first time I heard his voice, I wanted to learn all I could about popular music. I think that one of my favorite songs of his is Kismet from his movie Harum Scarum.” She asked, “But wasn’t that always considered one of his worst movies of all time?” He replied, “Yeah. He was only paid $1,000,000 to make that movie, but I personally think it was one of his best. The reason I like the song so much is because of the scene in which he sings it. He’s at the riverbed with the beautiful princess and they’re holding hands and then he sings to her about love.” He took the guitar strap off of his shoulder and then took hold of Kira’s hand. He began to sing Kismet to her. By the time he finished the song, Kira was so entranced that she leaned over and kissed him. They slowly began to caress each other as Adam moved down to kiss her neck. She began to moan with passion. She became so turned on that she whispered, “Adam?” He replied, “Yeah?” She leaned forward and whispered something in his ear, something he almost couldn’t and didn’t want to believe, “Let’s make love.” Adam slowly pulled his head back and asked, “Are you sure?” She nodded her head. He asked, “You’re positive?” She replied, “I’ve never wanted anything more in my life.” He replied, “Okay. But first.” He picked up the guitar and the plate of deli meats and put them both on the table. Then he said, “One more thing.” He reached around the back of her head and removed the clip that was holding up her hair, thus letting it all flow down like a gleaming golden waterfall. He looked at her and said, “I think you look better that way with your hair down.” Kira replied, “Thanks Adam.” As he leaned forward to kiss her again, she asked him, “Have you ever done this before?” Adam wasn’t sure how to answer the question or if he even wanted to answer it. Oh, sure he could’ve lied to her. He could’ve said something like, “Sure, I’ve done this before.” But at this point, Adam didn’t feel like he needed to lie to Kira just to get with her, so he said, “No. Have you?” She responded by removing his jacket and saying, “I want to with you.” She sat up and began to pull off his shirt as he ran his fingers through her hair. She asked him, “Do you have something for me?” Adam wasn’t sure what she meant at first, but then he remembered. So he reached into his back pants pocket, pulled out the contraceptive, held it up and asked, “Are you talking about this?” She looked up and nodded her head. While Adam reached back to pull off his shoes and socks, Kira began to unbutton and unzip his jeans. Soon, Adam had been stripped down to only his boxers. Kira leaned back as Adam began to undress her. First, he removed her vest and then her shirt. Then he untied the long skirt she was wearing. Finally, he unbuttoned and unzipped her jeans. But as he began to remove them, Kira suddenly said, “Adam? Adam wait, stop!” He looked up and asked, “What? What’s wrong?” She replied, “Nothing. I’m… I’m just… I’m just having a lot of thoughts.” Adam asked, “Are you really sure that you wanna do this?” Kira replied, “No.” He asked again, “Well do you want me to stop?” Again she replied, “No. I… I do want to do this. I’ve just got too many thoughts on my mind.” Adam rested his fingers on her lips and said, “Shh. Just relax Kira. You’re probably just scared about this and I can understand that. It’s always hard and scary the first time, and it can even hurt too. In fact, I’m just as scared as you are. The difference is that I’m handling it better. The key is to know how to handle it just the way that I’m doing.” Kira slowly opened her mouth and Adam’s fingers slid onto her tongue. They finished undressing each other and then Kira lied back on the couch. Adam slowly began to go down on her, moving from her chest, to her stomach, and then down towards her legs. Kira continued to moan with passion. Then Adam lied down on his back and Kira began to return the favor. Finally, Adam picked up the condom, unwrapped it and slid it on. Kira turned over and Adam got up. He started out by taking her in from behind. Then Kira turned over on her back again and Adam took her in from her front. All the while when they were going at it, Kira continued to moan louder and longer in ecstasy. Adam lied down on his back and Kira got on top of him with her back faced toward him. She slowly began to thrust back and forth and then up and down. Then she turned herself around again so they faced each other. As she continued to thrust her body up and down, Adam raised up his arms and they took hold of each others hands. Kira continued to moan and thrust, until finally both she and Adam moaned so loud that they couldn’t help but climax at the same time. She lied down on top of Adam and they kissed each other passionately. She rested her head on his chest as Adam reached for a nearby blanket and covered both himself and her with it. They both felt hot, sweaty, bothered and almost unable to move or breathe. Adam put his arm around her and said, “It’s okay Kira. Sometimes it can feel this way too. I’m here baby. I’ll take care of you.” Kira wrapped her arms around him and said, “You’ve gotta be kidding me. All of this time and that’s what I’ve been missing?” Adam replied, “Yeah I know. It surprised me too.” They soon fell asleep in each others arms.

 

Back downstairs, most of the partygoers had long since called it a night. In fact, the only ones that were still there were Eric, Sarah, and Johnny. By now, Johnny and Sarah were still in the rumpus room downstairs. But they weren’t playing billiards anymore. They were now lying down together on a futon. They had been conversing with each other for the past few hours. Sarah told Johnny everything there was to know about her. She told him about her family, being bisexual, what she had done with Kira, and how she had feelings for both him and Adam. She expected Johnny to be angry about the last thing, but instead he seemed more ecstatic. They soon began to kiss and make out with each other like crazy. There was even a little under the shirt action at one point. They had become so into each other that they had soon stripped themselves down and were making love. But the love they were making wasn’t the same as what Adam and Kira had done. The love they were making was the romantic type, but to them it was mostly just for the fun of it. They seemed to focus more on the physical part rather than the emotional part of the act. Their transcendent fusion was fun and short, but at the same time, it was serious and cosmic. Just like Adam and Kira, Sarah and Johnny had soon fallen asleep in each others arms after doing the deed.

 

Meanwhile elsewhere, Nikki had led Eric outside and into the pool house. They had spent the last few hours talking to each other. Their conversation had consisted of several topics, mainly music, movies, books, and sports. By now, their conversation topic had turned to love and sex. Nikki asked, “So Eric, when did you have your first time?” Eric felt sheepish as he replied, “Well, you might find this hard to believe, but I’m actually still a virgin.” Nikki asked, “You, still a virgin? How come? I would think that a boy as handsome as you wouldn’t have a problem getting a girl.” Eric said, “Well. It’s not that I didn’t want a girlfriend. It’s just that at the time, I was so busy focusing on everything else in my life that I never found time to go out with girls. I didn’t even get a date to my prom this year. Plus, I guess I’m just the type of guy who wants to wait until the time feels right. Say, if the right girl came along and we were really into each other, then I’d probably be willing to, how shall I put it, throw my inhibitions out the window.” Nikki took hold of his arm and said, “Well maybe I could be the right one for you to share the moment with.” Eric replied, “Oh, I think you would definitely have the right qualifications for something like that.” Nikki added, “Besides, I’ve never done it either.” Eric replied, “Well, I guess the experience will be special for both of us.” They leaned towards each other and began kissing. Before you knew it, they had both undressed and were going down on each other. Their intimate act was much like the one that Adam and Kira had shared, except their act mostly involved the classic missionary position. Nikki and Eric made love long into the night until finally they both fell asleep holding each others hands.

 

Everyone woke up really late the following morning. Nikki and Eric were the first ones up. They showered up, got dressed and went back inside the house. The first thing they did was handle the cleanup. They picked up the empty bottles, plastic cups and paper plates. Johnny was the next one to wake up. He didn’t wanna wake up Sarah because she looked so peaceful. He cleaned himself up and put on a clean set of clothes. Then he left a note on the bed for Sarah, left the house and headed down to the radio station. It was shortly after he left that Sarah woke up as well. She read the note and then took a long hot shower. She put on her clothes, went upstairs and offered to help Nikki and Eric finish cleaning up the house.

 

Adam and Kira were the last ones to wake up. The morning sun was shining brightly outside. In fact, it shone so bright that Adam seemed to squint as he slowly opened his eyes. He looked over at Kira, leaned forward and gave her a good morning kiss. She moaned and smiled as he said, “Good morning Kira.” She replied, “Good morning sweet Adam.” With her eyes still closed, she asked, “What time is it?” Adam looked at his watch, which read 9:30. He replied, “It’s half past nine, so I’d say it’s definitely time to get up.” Kira said, “Not yet. I wanna sleep for fifteen more minutes.” Adam replied, “Okay. I’m gonna go take a shower and get cleaned up. If you wanna join me, well then feel free baby doll.” He picked up his clothes, unlocked the patio door and went back inside Nikki’s room. A few minutes later, Kira heard the sound of running water and she opened her eyes. She slowly sat up, wrapped the bedspread around her body, got up from the futon and went inside the house. She slowly made her way to the bathroom where Adam was showering up. As she pushed open the door, she could hear Adam singing. He was singing songs from the Elvis Presley film Blue Hawaii. Right now he was beginning to sing Moonlight Swim. Kira soon began to sing along with him. At the end of the song, Adam said, “Hey Kira. We sound great when we sing together.” Kira replied, “I know we do.” Adam asked, “Why don’t you get in here with me? Maybe we can sing another duet.” Kira said, “As tempting as that sounds, I may have to pass.” Adam tapped his hand against the wall and said, “Whoops. I uh, seem to have dropped the soap Kira. Why don’t you stick your head in and help me find it?” Kira knew he was just messing around, but she couldn’t deny the fact that she was dirty and needed to get cleaned up. So she decided to give into temptation and humor him. She hung the bedspread on a towel hook, pulled open the curtain and got in behind Adam. She looked down and asked, “Okay, so where’s the soap at?” Adam put his hand under her chin so that their eyes met each other and he said, “Right here.” He leaned forward and gave her a sweet passionate kiss. The feeling of his lips pressed against hers and the feeling of the water pouring rapidly all over her nubile naked body made Kira feel hot, hotter than a fire. Adam picked up a small loofah and Kira picked up the movable showerhead. They soon began to wash each others bodies.

 

After that soothing and cleansing shower, Kira and Adam both wrapped a towel around their bodies and went back into Nikki’s room to dry off. Kira picked up a hairdryer from Nikki’s dresser, sat down in front of the mirror and began to dry her hair. Adam picked up his clothes which he’d left on Nikki’s bed and got dressed as soon as his body was dry. He asked, “Hey Kira? Where are your clothes at?” She replied, “They’re still outside. Would you mind getting them for me?” Adam said, “Sure thing baby doll.” Adam went back out onto the patio and picked up all of Kira’s clothes. Then he went back inside the bedroom. He said, “I’ve got all your stuff Kira, but I didn’t find your shoes.” She replied, “They’re probably underneath the futon; why don’t you double-check and could you grab my guitar too while you’re at it?” Adam said, “No problem.” He went outside once again to look for her shoes. He found them underneath the futon like Kira had predicted. He slowly stood up and picked up the guitar from the table. But instead of going inside, he sat down on the porch swing and began strumming the guitar. Kira heard the strumming and soon came outside. She asked Adam, “Hey sexy, what’s taking you so long?” Adam replied, “Oh, nothing. I was just strumming and thinking.” She asked, “Thinking about what?” He replied, “Everything really. I was thinking about you and me, this whole week, and especially last night.” She sat down next to him and said, “Yeah. That was really something last night, wasn’t it?” He replied, “Uh-huh.” Kira sadly said, “It’s too bad that this can’t last forever.” Adam asked, “What?” She replied, “You and me. I don’t wanna see things end between us.” Adam said, “Maybe it doesn’t have to.” Kira asked, “How’s that?” Adam replied, “Remember what I said about talking it over with my friends? They all told me that they like it here and they might like the idea of moving down here and making this place our permanent home. If they do decide to live here, then you and I will be able to see each other everyday. We’ll be able to spend forever together.” Kira said, “I hope you’re right Adam, because you know what? When I’m with you, I feel like I’m in heaven.” Adam replied, “Same here baby. I got the same feeling.” Their conversation was cut short as Eric came outside to the patio. He said, “Oh good. You guys are awake. I was just coming to wake you myself.” Kira asked, “What’s up Eric?” He replied, “The rest of the gang is waiting for us to join them at the diner. Nikki and Sarah have already gone ahead. But before we join them, we should probably head to the houses and put on some clean clothes.” Adam said, “I like the way you think Eric.” The three of them made their way downstairs and headed out of the house. Kira headed back to her house, while Eric and Adam went to the empty house.

 

When they got to the house, Eric picked up his bag and decided to change his clothes upstairs while Adam stayed downstairs to change clothes. Eric soon came back downstairs wearing his favorite black jacket, a green t-shirt and a navy blue pair of jeans. Adam had changed into his camouflage cargo pants, a black sleeveless shirt, a white long sleeved button-down shirt and his blue Converse sneakers. Adam asked, “So Eric tell me, did you and Nikki ever hook up last night?” Eric replied, “I could ask the same question about you and Kira.” Adam said, “Let me put it this way. Last night, was the most incredible, magical and most romantic night of my life man.” Eric said, “I could only say the same my friend.” Adam said, “We’d better get going buddy. The rest of the crew is gonna be waiting for us.” Eric picked up his hat, and they both left the house.

 

As they made their way to the diner, Eric asked, “Hey Adam? What should we say if Lucas and the guys ask us to give them the details of last night?” Adam shrugged it off and said, “Hey Eric. If you’re not gonna kiss and tell, then I’m not gonna kiss and tell. So don’t worry about it.” Adam pulled open the diner door and they both went inside. Lucas waved them over to the booth he and the boys were sitting in. So Adam and Eric sat down and joined them. Eric asked, “So, did you guys have a good time at the party last night?” Lucas replied, “I think we could ask you guys the same question.” Adam said, “Well I don’t know if I can speak for Eric, but I am not one to kiss and tell, or should I say make love and tell.” Eric said, “That goes double for me.” Lucas said, “Aw, come on fellas. I wanna hear all the juicy details.” Trip said, “All right Lucas, relax. If they wanna tell us, then they’ll tell us. If they don’t wanna tell us, then they won’t. So let’s just squash it and order some breakfast.” Wes added, “Yeah. Let’s just squash it and chow down on some grub.” Conner came up and asked, “What’ll it be my good friends?” They each ordered a breakfast platter. While they were waiting, Adam saw Kira walk into the diner. He excused himself, got up and walked over to her. He said, “Hey there you sexy baby.” She looked at him and said, “Hey sweetie.” Adam pulled her close to him and kissed her. Lucas looked over at them and said, “Hey fellas, there’s some major lip-lock action at 10:00.” Eric, Trip, and Wes looked over at Adam and Kira. Adam took a good look at Kira and said, “I sure like the way you singer girls don’t dress.” She was wearing a black tank-top that showed off her stomach and a pair of matching black jeans. She replied, “I’m a woman now and it’s also my day off so I can dress how I want to.” Adam asked, “Would you care to join us?” Kira replied, “Thanks, but I think I’ll eat with the girls over here. But we’ll talk afterwards okay?” Adam said, “You got it baby.” Kira went over to sit with Jen and the others while Adam went back over to his buddies. Adam sat down and said, “You guys, I think I’ve now officially entered heaven.” Eric replied, “I know exactly what you mean my friend. I’ve got the same feeling.” Over at the other booth, Kira had sat down next to Nikki and Sarah and had ordered herself a breakfast sandwich. She and Nikki were telling Jen and the others about their magical and romantic night with Adam and Eric. Nikki said, “You girls probably won’t believe me, but Eric is the best and only man for me in my love life.” Kira said, “Adam is the nicest guy I’ve ever been lucky enough to know. He was a perfect gentleman throughout the entire night. He’s my personal Don Juan.” Sarah said to them, “I don’t know about y’all, but I think I’m in love with Johnny. I’ve only been with one other man in my life, but I won’t find anyone better than Johnny. He’s a wonderful man.” Jen said, “Well, it seems like all three of you ladies had a wonderful night last night.” Kira replied, “It was the best night of my life. Oh, and confidentially, I think I’m in love.” No one knew what to say to that, except for Nikki who said, “I think I’m in love too.” Katie asked, “Really? Well I think that’s great news.” Kira replied, “Speaking of news, is there something you wanna tell us Jen?” Jen said, “I don’t think so. Why?” Tori said, “I think she’s asking you if you’ve made your decision about staying here in town.” Jen replied, “No Kira. I haven’t made up my mind yet.” Kira said, “Well I hope you make up your mind soon because, not that I wanna rush you or anything but Russell said that he’d have the truck fixed by Saturday and it’s already Thursday.” Jen replied, “Don’t worry yourself. I’ll make up my mind before Saturday.” It was at that point that their conversation was interrupted as Trent, Ethan, and the rest of the crew entered the diner and sat down at the counter. Adam finished his breakfast and stood up. He straightened out his shirt and said, “I’ll be right back fellas. I’m gonna step out for a minute.” Lucas asked, “What for man?” Adam replied, “Oh, I just wanna step out and get some air, and maybe call up my mom.” They all looked at him and Eric asked, “Are you sure about that man?” Adam replied, “Of course I’m sure. I haven’t spoken to her since we left home and I miss her.” Wes said, “You should really think that through man. I mean, suppose that she asks you where we are, then what’ll you tell her? That we’re in Piedmont Cove? She’ll think that you’ve gone mentally wacko.” Adam said, “I don’t necessarily have to tell her exactly where we are. I could just tell her that we’re somewhere in Indiana. At least that way, I’ll still be telling the truth.” Trip said, “He’s right you know. In fact, I’ll step outside with you.” Trip chugged down the last of his apple juice and got up from the booth. Just as Adam and Trip made their way to the door, Conner called out, “Hey Adam?” Adam turned around and asked, “Yeah?” Conner said, “The guys and I were just talking it over and, well we were wondering, do you and your buddies play ball?” Adam asked, “What kind of ball? If you mean soccer, I can’t kick. If you mean baseball, I can’t hit. If you mean football, let’s just say that I’d much rather soon die.” Trent replied, “We’re just talking about playing some good old-fashioned basketball my brother man.” Adam said, “Yeah sure, we used to play basketball in gym class all the time. We’d even play it on the weekends at one of the parks in our neighborhood. Why do you ask?” Conner said, “Well Ethan, Trent and I are gonna go play some ball after the breakfast rush is done. Would you guys care to join us?” Adam said, “That sounds like fun. Trip and I are about to go outside anyway, so we’ll just wait up for you guys at the park.” Adam and Trip both left the diner and headed on down to the park.

 

Trip sat down on the swing while Adam made the call to his mother. The call went to her voicemail so Adam left her a message. He said, “Hey mom, it’s me Adam. I’m just calling to say hi and to let you know that we’re having a good time on our vacation. Right now, we’re somewhere in Indiana and let me tell you it’s really something. We’ve made a few new friends including a soccer player, a computer technician, an artist, a radio DJ, and a bisexual girl, and you probably won’t believe this, but Eric and I met some girls. Their names are Nikki and Kira, and they’ve both been very sweet to us. So um, I guess that’s it. Please call me when you get this message. I love you and I’ll talk to you later. Bye mom.” As he hung up the phone, Conner and the rest of the gang approached them. Conner was bouncing the basketball up and down. Eric came up to Adam and asked, “So what’d your mom have to say?” Adam replied, “Ah, she didn’t answer so I had to leave her a message. She’ll probably call me back later.” Conner grasped the ball in his hands and asked, “So, who wants to be the captain for the other team?” Trip said, “Wow. You’re getting a little ahead of yourself there aren’t you Conner?” He replied, “Nah Trip. I’m just anxious to get this game going. There are only eight of us, so we’re gonna play four on four.” The eight men quickly formed into two teams of four. Team one consisted of Conner, Adam, Trip, and Eric. Team two consisted of Ethan, Trent, Lucas, and Wes. They shot baskets for the next two hours. The girls came along at some point to watch the guys shoot around. After getting themselves a little worn out and overexerted, they each went their separate ways. Conner, Ethan, Trent, and their girls headed back to the diner. Trip, Wes, and Lucas headed back to their house to get cleaned up. Katie and Tori followed right behind them. Only Adam, Eric, Jen, Sarah, Kira, and Nikki were left at the park. Eric was now pushing Nikki back and forth on one of the swings and Jen was pumping back and forth on the other swing. Kira was getting a drink of water from the fountain. Sarah was lying down on a bench looking up at the clouds and Adam was just coming over there to pick up his jacket. Sarah looked up at him and said, “Hey baby. So I heard that you and Kira hooked up last night.” He replied, “Yeah we did. So what’s it to you?” Sarah asked, “Well, now that you’ve tried the lobster, why don’t you step up and try the filet mignon?” Adam asked, “There’s really no end to this, is there? You are just not gonna let this go and be happy until I give in and do it with you, are you?” Sarah said, “I can’t help it Adam. When I know what I want, sooner or later I get it.” Adam said, “Well that’s just about the understatement of the year. Especially considering the fact that it’s coming from a little miss rich girl who claims that she wants to learn about life from the bottom up. Besides, even if I were to give into your little temptations, I can’t do it tonight. Kira and I already have plans to see each other.” Sarah asked, “Well why don’t you bring her along, after all this concerns her too doesn’t it?” Adam scoffed and said, “Oh yeah sure. I bet you’d like that wouldn’t you? Get all three of us together in one big dark room so we can all have ourselves a great big threesome? Hmm, when I put it that way, it doesn’t sound all that bad, but still I don’t know if I like the idea. I’ll talk it over with Kira and I guess we’ll get back to you on everything later on.” Sarah replied, “Well as the Beatles would say, “Any time at all, all you’ve gotta do is call and I’ll be there.” You just let me know what you and Kira decide.” She got up and decided to go meet up with Johnny at the radio station. As Adam began to put his jacket back on, Kira came up behind him and put her arms around his waist. She kissed him and said, “Hey sweetie.” Adam halfheartedly replied, “Hi Kira.” She asked, “What’s the matter? You sound like you’re down.” He replied, “No, I’m fine. It’s just that, well I was just talking to Sarah and she really got me to thinking.” Kira frantically asked, “Thinking about what? Should I be worried at all?” Adam said, “I don’t think so. Um, Sarah did tell you about how she came onto me the night before I met you right?” She replied, “Yeah she did.” Adam asked, “Well did she happen to mention that she’s interested in me and she wants me to do it with her?” Kira said in a somewhat bitter tone, “No. I’m afraid she neglected to mention that little detail.” Adam said, “Well that is what we were talking about. She told me that she’s not gonna let it go until I give into her temptations and consent to do it with her.” Kira said, “I see. So what did you say to her?” He replied, “I took the liberty of mentioning to her that you and I already plan to see each other tonight. She made a few suggestions that got me to thinking. Kira, what is your general outlook and perspective on uh, um a ménage a trois?” She asked, “You mean a threesome? Well I’ve never really given much thought about that kind of subject. Although I will admit that it does sound both tempting and fun.” Adam said, “So do you like wanna think about it and give me an answer later on, because Sarah asked me to give her an answer by the end of the day.” Kira kissed him and said, “Yeah. I will think about it.” Everyone soon left the park and went their separate ways. Nikki decided to go join Charlie and the others at the diner. Jen headed over to the house. Kira went over to her house. Adam and Eric headed back to their place to join the rest of the guys.

 

When Adam and Eric got inside the house, they saw that the rest of the guys were all plopped down on the couch. Adam approached them and said in a joking way, “You guys look like somebody bludgeoned you all and left you for dead.” Lucas said, “Oh hardy har-har Adam, very funny.” Adam settled himself into a recliner chair and Eric settled into an easy chair. Wes began to rub his right shoulder as he said, “I don’t know about you guys, but that was the most exhilarating and exhausting game of b-ball I’ve ever played. It really took a lot out of me.” Trip said, “Trust me, you don’t know the half of it. I sometimes forget that I have weak knees.” Eric said, “I played just as hard as you guys and I’m not nearly as tired.” Adam said, “I may end up having a threesome tonight.” Suddenly the room went dead silent. Everyone slowly turned their heads to face Adam. Lucas asked, “What did you just say?” Adam began, “I said that…” Lucas cut him off and said, “No. I heard what you said. I just can’t believe I heard it.” Trip asked, “Are you really gonna get lucky with two girls tonight man?” Adam said, “It’s a possibility.” Eric said, “Let me take a wild guess. It’s Kira and Sarah right?” Adam said, “Yeah. That Sarah really likes me and she can’t help but want me.” Wes said, “You are like the luckiest son of a gun I’ve ever met. You’ve got two girls who want you.” Adam shook his head and said, “No Wes. Sarah only wants me for sex, once I sleep with her, she’ll be over me. But Kira really does care about me and I care about her too. In fact, you guys, you might not believe it but I think she might be the one.” Lucas was astonished as he said, “Wow.” Trip said, “Well that’s great man. That’s really great.” Eric added, “I totally hear you man. I’m feeling the exact same way about Nikki.” Adam said, “I’m so glad that you’re all up for the idea of staying here in Piedmont Cove because now I don’t know if I can live without Kira.” Wes asked, “So what does she think about this threesome thing? When’s it going down?” Adam replied, “Kira’s gonna think about it and we’re gonna give Sarah an answer by the end of the day. I don’t really wanna think about it right now. I just wanna kick back and relax. So if you guys need me, I’ll be upstairs trying out the rest of my graduation gifts.” He picked up his stuff and went upstairs to one of the bedrooms. He was watching an episode of 21 Jump Street on his portable DVD player when he slowly started to doze off. Adam soon began to dream. He saw himself in a dark room sitting on a bed with Kira and Sarah. Kira was lying down on her back while he and Sarah began to give her a full body massage. The massage soon became so sensuous and stimulating that Kira soon sat up and kissed both him and Sarah. They slowly helped each other undress. Then the three of them slowly began to cuddle and caress one another. Finally, the three of them began to go at it with each other. The dream ended with another three-way kiss. Then Adam woke up. He sat up and let out a long stretch. He lowered his right arm and looked at his watch, which read 3:45. Adam thought to himself, “Oh man. Where did the time go for me?” He turned off his player, put it in the carrying case, picked up the rest of his stuff and went back downstairs. He was surprised to find that the house was empty. He figured that the rest of the gang was probably out about the town whooping it up and enjoying themselves. So he shouldered his backpack and headed out the door. He decided he’d start by looking for them at the diner.

 

As Adam made his way over to the diner, he walked past the gas station and saw Russell in the garage working on his truck. He decided to peek in and see how it was coming along. Adam slowly pushed open the door and walked inside. Russell looked up and said, “Oh, howdy Adam. What’re you doing here?” Adam replied, “Oh I just wanted to come by and see how my truck’s coming along.” Russell said, “It’s coming along fine. I should have it finished by tonight or tomorrow. As soon as I put in the carburetor, all I’ll have to do is put air in that tire of yours and you’ll be all set to go.” Adam said, “Great. That’s great news. Say, you haven’t seen my friends anywhere have you?” Russell replied, “Yeah. Now that you mention it, I did. I saw them about an hour ago. I think they’re all gathered up at the café.” Adam said, “That’s great. I was just on my way there anyway. I guess I’ll see you later pal.” Russell said, “All right then.” Adam walked out and slid the door shut.

 

Adam entered the café and the first thing he saw was all of his buddies sitting in one of the booths. He also saw Jen, Katie, and Tori sitting at the counter with the rest of the girls. He walked right over to the booth and said in a low gruff voice, “Hello boys.” They all looked up and Eric said, “Oh, hey buddy. How was your nap?” Adam replied, “Oh, it was swell. But the real question is why didn’t any of you blockheads wake me up?” Trip said, “Well, you looked tired and we didn’t wanna wake you. Besides, it’s not like we had anything to do all day.” Adam shrugged in agreement as Kira came up to him and asked, “Hey Adam, can we talk?” Adam replied, “Yeah sure.” He followed her over to one of the tables and they both sat down. Adam asked, “What’s up baby doll?” Kira said, “I’ve been thinking on the subject all day and I’ve come to a decision. I’ve decided that I can’t go through with it.” Adam asked, “What? Why not?” Kira replied, “Well Adam, I’ve only just begun to experience my sexual awakening and I wanna take it in one step at a time. I just realized that a threesome is a really big step that I’m just not ready for.” Adam asked, “Well what’re we gonna do? Sarah wants an answer and she won’t quit until she gets me in bed with her.” Kira said, “I know, which is why I’ve come up with a solution to the problem. I’m gonna give you a guilt-free pass tonight.” Adam asked, “A what?” Kira replied, “I mean that I’m giving you a license to fly tonight. You can sleep with Sarah so she can get it out of her system and there won’t be any consequences between you and me.” Adam asked, “Really? You’re willing to make that sacrifice for me?” Kira replied, “Yes Adam. So tonight, you and Sarah get it over with so she can stop bugging and hassling you about it.” Adam slowly reached forward, placed his hand on hers and said, “Thank you Kira. I appreciate that you’re being so very understanding with me about this. Do you wanna know something?” Kira nodded her head as he continued, “I think that if we can talk about getting through a situation like this, then maybe, just maybe we can get through anything together.” Kira nodded her head in agreement, but the truth was that the both of them had doubts about whatever might or might not happen that night. It was especially hard for Adam. He wasn’t sure how he’d be able to enjoy being with one girl when he clearly had feelings for another girl altogether. In fact, if it were up to him, he’d have called the whole thing off, but he really wanted to get the whole thing with Sarah over with. So the only thing he could do now was wait until night fell upon him.

 

Adam spent the rest of the afternoon back at the house watching his DVDs, all the while feeling slightly unsure of himself. He didn’t wanna go through with it but at the same time he felt like he had to. It wasn’t as if he didn’t like Sarah because he did like her, but all that really mattered to him at this point was his relationship with Kira. If there was one thing he wouldn’t deny, it was the way he felt about her. He was in the middle of watching more of 21 Jump Street when there was a knock at his door. He looked up and said, “Come in.” The door opened and Sarah walked inside. She said, “Hey baby.” Adam replied, “Oh, hi Sarah.” She sat down at the edge of the bed and said, “Eric and Lucas told me that you’d be here.” She looked around the room and asked, “Where’s Kira at? I figured she’d be here with you.” He replied, “She decided to pass on this.” Sarah asked, “Really? How come?” Adam said, “Because she decided that she’s not ready for something as big as a threesome. However, she was understanding enough to give me a license to fly for tonight, so can we just hurry up and get on with this?” Sarah said, “You don’t sound too excited about this.” He replied, “Well I’m not. I mean, how am I supposed to be comfortable making love to one woman when I’m clearly gonna be thinking about another woman?” Sarah said, “I don’t know. I can’t answer that for you.” Adam thought and said, “Wait a minute. Do you have a blindfold or something like that?” Sarah replied, “Yeah. I’ve got one in my bag. Why do you want it?” Adam replied, “If you tie it on me, then I won’t be able to see that I’m doing it with you. If I can’t see, then I won’t have to worry or be uncomfortable with myself.” Sarah reached into her bag and pulled out the blindfold. She began to hand it to Adam but then she was struck with an idea. She said, “Wait. I have a better idea. What say that I wear the blindfold, then I let you ravish me to your heart’s content, and when you’re comfortable, you remove it from my head?” Adam replied, “That’s a pretty good idea. Let’s get to it.” Sarah handed him the blindfold and he put it over her eyes. As he began to tie it, Sarah said, “Oh, um, Lucas told me about your allergy so he gave me a silicone based condom for us to use.” Adam sighed in disgust and said, “Oh, good old Lucas. Always looking out for me.” Sarah replied, “Well hey, it’s better to be safe than sorry.” After Adam finished tying on the blindfold, both he and Sarah began to undress. Adam stripped down to his boxers and Sarah stripped down to her underwear. She removed her top and began to remove the bottoms when Adam said, “Wait. Don’t take them off yet. I wanna be comfortable with the rest of your body first.” Sarah slowly lied down on the bed. Adam lied down beside her and ever so slowly, softly and gently, he began to caress every inch of her body. The soft touch of his hands made Sarah’s whole body tingle with sensation. It also made her feel hot, hotter than a sauna rock. Finally, Adam leaned over on top of her and gave her a soft, yet strong kiss. He reached up and pulled the blindfold off of her face. Then he turned over and she leaned on top of him. She reached behind her head and removed her scrunchy, thus letting her cherry red hair flow down. She asked, “Do you like me like this Adam?” He slowly replied, “Well you’re awfully close, I’ll give you that much.” Sarah took hold of his right arm and put it around her as she said, “Adam, just put your arms around me and, and do whatever you feel comes naturally to you.” Adam said, “Well I’m still a little uncomfortable, but I think I can handle it.” Then they both began to go down on each other. Adam started out by taking her in from the front and then he took in from behind. Then Sarah got on top of him and began to thrust herself up and down. Adam put his hands on her hips as they both moaned with passion and ecstasy. They finally moaned so loud that they climaxed at the same time. Sarah leaned down on top of Adam and they kissed each other again. Sarah sat up and said, “Thank you so much Adam.” Adam said, “Your welcome, but man you wore me out. I mean look at me, I’m all hot, sweaty and bothered.” He sat up and wiped the sweat off his face. Sarah stood up and said, “I hate to break it to you Adam, but that’s how sex is supposed to make you feel. I’m gonna go grab a shower. Do you wanna join me?” He replied, “Why don’t you start without me? I’ll be there in a minute.” Sarah picked up her clothes and walked down the hallway to the bathroom.

 

Adam soon heard the sound of the shower running as he sat on the bed trying to recuperate himself. He picked his boxers up from the floor and slipped them on. Then he glanced at his watch which read a quarter to nine. He got up from the bed and picked up the rest of his clothes. As he finished putting his clothes back on, his phone began to ring. He picked it up and it showed that his mom was calling. He clicked the phone and spoke into it, “Hello?” His mom said, “Hello Adam. How are you sweetie?” He said, “Oh, I’m doing fine mom.” She asked him, “Are you and the others having fun on your vacation?” Adam replied, “Oh yeah. We’re all having a great time out here in Indiana.” Allison said, “So, tell me about these new friends you’ve made. I’m dying to know.” Adam rubbed his chin and said, “Well, we met this former soccer player named Conner McKnight and his girlfriend Monica Reynolds. We also met this guy named Ethan James who’s like a total genius and his girlfriend Rachel Dawson. There’s also this artist named Trent Fernandez and his girl Charlie Hunter. Then there’s this radio DJ named Johnny Samuels and a bisexual girl named Sarah Blake Evans. Finally, we met these two girls. One of them is a brunette named Nikki Lawrence. Eric really likes her a lot. Last but not least, I met a girl named Kira Ford. She’s a musician just like us. She likes all the music that I do. She’s like my musical soul mate.” Allison replied, “It sounds to me like she’s the perfect girl for you.” He said, “Believe me, I think she is. In fact, and you might not believe me when I say this. I’ve only known her for a week, but I think I’m in love with her.” Allison asked, “Do you really think so?” Adam replied, “I don’t just think I am. I’m pretty positive of it.” Allison said, “I can’t believe that my baby boy’s all grown up now and he’s found himself a girlfriend.” Adam said, “Yeah I know. It’s pretty exciting for me.” Allison said, “Well, I guess I’ll speak to you later honey. I love you.” Adam replied, “I love you too mom.” He blew her a kiss and then clicked off the phone. Sarah came back into the room as he put the phone in his pocket. She asked, “Who were you talking to?” Adam looked at her and said, “What? Oh, that was my mom. She was returning my call from earlier today. She just wanted to see how I was doing.” Sarah asked, “You didn’t tell her where we are did you?” Adam replied, “Of course not. All I really did was mention Kira, you, and everyone else we got to meet.” Sarah asked, “What’d she say?” He replied, “Well she was definitely glad to hear about Kira, that’s for sure.” She asked, “You really care about her a lot don’t you?” Adam slowly said, “Yeah, but there’s a lot more to it than that. You know how there’s always the one person that you know you’re destined to be with forever? Well that’s the way I felt when I met Kira. I know I’ve only known her for a week, but it’s already clear to me. I don’t just like her; I’m in love with her.” Sarah was so touched by his words that she didn’t even realize that her towel was coming undone. She said, “Wow. I don’t know whether to look at that as an epiphany or a revelation.” Adam said, “I think it’s a little of both. Have you ever felt that way about anyone before?” Sarah replied, “Before I met Johnny, I didn’t. Before him, I wasn’t sure what love felt like for me. I didn’t even know what love was.” Adam said, “It seems to me that we both have someone we care deeply about here in this little town, and I think we both know what we have to do about it.” Sarah nodded and replied, “You’re right Adam. Tomorrow, I’m gonna tell Johnny how I feel.” Adam said, “And I’m gonna do the same with Kira. I’m sure she’ll be glad to know how I feel. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if she felt the same way.” It was then that Adam’s phone began to ring again. He took it out of his pocket and looked at it. Sarah asked, “Who is it now, your dad?” Adam said, “No. This is a number I don’t recognize.” He clicked on the phone and spoke into it, “Hello?” A soft voice said, “Hello Adam.” He said, “Kira? Hey, how’d you get my number?” She replied, “Eric offered it to me.” Adam said, “Oh, well please remind me to thank him for that later. So what’s up?” Kira asked, “I just wanna ask you; did you and Sarah go through with it?” Adam slowly replied, “Yeah, we got it out of the way. But it’s all water under the bridge now, so I think it best not to dwell on it.” Kira said, “I’m at the diner. Can you meet me in the park in about fifteen minutes?” Adam replied, “Yeah, it won’t be a problem baby doll.” He blew her a kiss and clicked off the phone again. He looked at Sarah and said, “Well uh, Kira wants me to meet her at the park in fifteen minutes. So I suggest that you get yourself dressed and do the same by going to look for Johnny.” Sarah replied, “I’ll do that and thanks Adam. By the way, if Kira ever gives you another license to fly or changes her mind about a threesome, please let me know.” Adam halfheartedly said, “Right um, I’ll keep that in mind.” he put his phone back in his pocket, picked up his backpack, said to Sarah, “Well as they said in the movie, “Here’s looking at you kid.” I’ll see you later Sarah.” He headed down the stairs and out the door.

 

When Adam got to the park, he didn’t spot Kira anywhere. So he called out, “Kira? Kira, are you here?” Then he heard her voice say, “I’m over here, in the tunnel.” He walked over to the tunnel, took three steps up the ladder, looked inside and asked, “Hey, what’re you doing in there?” She was lying on her back looking up at the night sky. She replied, “This is where I like to be when I watch the night sky. Every now and again I see the stars come out. It’s a beautiful sight isn’t it?” he looked up at the sky and said, “Yeah it’s a beautiful view up there, but I like the view down here better.” Kira asked him, “Do you wanna come in here and join me?” Adam asked, “Do you think we can both fit in there?” Kira said, “Sure, come on inside.” As careful as he could, Adam wiggled into the tunnel feet first, all the while making sure he didn’t bump Kira. As soon as he was settled, Kira asked him, “So, how did it go with Sarah?” Adam replied, “I’d say it went as well as could be expected.” Then she asked, “Did you enjoy it?” He again replied, “Well naturally I enjoyed it. But I didn’t enjoy it with her as much as I enjoyed it with you. With Sarah, it was just fun, but with you, it was passionate, serious, hot, steamy, animal wild and meaningful. I mean I could go on forever describing what it was like with you.” Kira said, “I could say the exact same things to you Adam.” Adam rubbed his shoulder and said, “It’s getting kind of chilly out here Kira. Maybe we should head back to the diner.” Kira said, “I’m with you on that.” They both slowly crawled out of the tunnel, climbed off the playground ladder, and began walking back to the café while holding each others hands. Kira asked, “Say Adam, that friend of yours, is he okay?” Adam asked, “Which friend? What do you mean?” She replied, “Trip. Why did he wanna go with you when you made that call to your mom? Is something wrong with him?” Adam said, “No. Trip’s kind of had a rough go in life. His parents weren’t nurturing enough to him and he got picked on a lot as a kid. He really didn’t have many friends until he met me. I defended him once and he’s been a really close friend to me ever since. Eric may be my best friend, but when it comes to loyalty and care, Trip’s my main boy. He’s always looked up to me a lot, almost like the older brother he never had but always wanted.” Kira took that in and said, “Okay.”

 

When they got back to the diner, Johnny called Kira, Nikki, and Charlie up to the stage for their evening performance. Adam went and sat in a booth with his buddies. He sat down next to Eric, who slid him a plate and said, “Hey buddy, I ordered you a burger and fries incase you might be hungry.” Adam gratefully took the plate and said, “Thanks E-man, and thanks for giving Kira my number.” Eric replied, “No problem A.T.L.” Lucas asked, “So, Adam? Are you gonna give us the juicy details or not?” Trip asked, “Yeah, did you and Kira go through with it?” Wes said, “Hey cool it fellas. Give the guy a chance to eat.” Adam said, “No it’s okay Wes. I don’t have a problem telling them. If you guys must know, it was only me that went through with it. Kira decided that she wasn’t ready for something as big as a threesome. So she gave me a license to fly with Sarah tonight. But the important thing is that Sarah and I got it out of the way and now Kira and I can enjoy our relationship in peace. Just for the record, I did enjoy it with Sarah, but not as much as I enjoyed it with Kira.” Eric said, “That’s good for you Adam. You know who you’re comfortable with and that’s all that matters.”

After the girls’ final performance, Justin and Conner began to close up shop for the evening. Kira went home with her dad, Sarah went with Jen, Katie and Tori, and Adam went home with his buddies.

 

        Adam and his buddies woke up early the following morning. It was a beautiful, balmy Friday, as far as Fridays go. Adam was already dressed and sitting on the couch when the rest of the boys came downstairs. Trip asked, “So, since we’ve seen just about everything there is to see in this little town, what’re we going to do today?” Lucas suggested, “Maybe we should just stay in today and relax.” Eric said, “You guys can stay in if you want, but I’m planning on spending the day with Nikki.” Adam added, “Yeah, and I’m planning on doing the same with Kira.” Wes asked, “You guys are really hung up on those girls aren’t you?” Adam said, “I’m not just hung up on Kira Wes. I don’t just like her anymore, I’m in love with her and I’m gonna tell her later on tonight.” Lucas said, “Wow! That’s an awfully big step Adam. You might wanna think that through before you do something you might regret.” Adam replied, “I’m not gonna regret it Lucas. I already know that I might never find someone else like Kira, and I’m not gonna let her be the one that got away. I’m gonna tell her today and nothing’s gonna change my mind, and as for you Eric? I suggest you do the same with Nikki.” Eric replied, “You don’t have to tell me twice buddy, because I am gonna be all over it.” Adam said, “Okay then. If there will be no more implications, I suggest we go meet the others at the diner for breakfast.” They all gradually got up and left the house. Wes, Lucas, and Trip were all completely unnerved, for none of them knew what to expect or think for what lay ahead that day for Adam and Eric.

 

        Jen and the rest of the girls were sitting in a booth waiting for their orders when Adam and the guys came inside the café. They all sat down at the counter and Conner came over to take their orders. Adam, Lucas, and Trip ordered sandwiches and Wes and Eric ordered breakfast platters. Shortly after being given their orders, Kira entered the diner and sat down at the counter two seats down from Adam. He looked over to her and said, “Good morning Kira.” She looked back at him and said, “Good morning Adam.” Conner came up and asked, “Hey Kira. What can I get you?” She replied, “I’ll just have some scrambled eggs and sausage with some apple juice.” After Conner brought out her food, Adam got up and slid his plate down towards Kira and sat next to her. He said, “Kira, there’s something I wanna tell you, something very serious and important. It’s hard for me to say. I don’t know how to say it or how to begin.” Kira replied, “Maybe you could just say it and make it easy on us both.” Adam said, “I don’t feel comfortable telling you here in front of everyone. After we finish eating, we’ll go to the park and I’ll tell you there, all right?” Kira said, “That sounds like a good idea to me.” They both finished eating in silence.

 

        When they got to the park, Kira sat down on the swinging bridge and Adam stood in front of her. She asked, “So what is it that’s so important that you wanna tell me out here?” Adam took a deep breath, took hold of her hands and said, “Kira Ford, I know that I’ve only known you for a week, but I feel like I’ve known you forever. All my life, I’ve been hoping to meet the right woman and I’ve never found her before now. You and I have so much in common. We both love the same things, especially music. If my truck had not broken down, I never would’ve come here to Piedmont Cove. It was almost like destiny had brought me to you. You know how there’s always one person that you know you’re destined to be together with forever? When I look at you, I see that person. You and I are just like Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing. We’re also like Rob Lowe and Demi Moore in About Last Night, uh, like John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga in The Sure Thing.  I can think of a lot of onscreen couples that I can compare us to. I feel that what we share is a bond that can never be broken by anyone or anything. What I’m trying to say is, Kira Ford, I am in love with you.” Kira just sat there too stunned to speak. Adam said, “Kira, I understand that this is a big shock to you, but please say something, anything.” She finally said, “Adam, I’m sorry, but I don’t know if I can or how to respond to that. I have to think about that before I can give you an answer.” She quickly slid herself off the bridge accidentally knocking Adam to the ground, and she started running. Adam got to his feet and cried, “You just spoiled the whole doggone thing! Kira, wait a minute!” He took off running after her. Kira ran all the way to the back of the diner. She got into her Chevy Camaro, pulled the keys out of the glove compartment and calmly started the car. She drove around the side of the diner just as Adam reached the diner. He spotted her in the car and called out, “Kira!” She reached over and began to roll up the window, but Adam reached in and covered the handle with his hand. He asked, “Kira, can you please just get out of the car so we can talk about this?” Kira responded by putting the car in gear and pushing down on the gas pedal. Adam held onto the door and began running with the car. Kira said, “You’re gonna have to let go eventually Adam. You can only keep up with me for so long.” Adam asked, “Why are you making this so hard on yourself? Why can’t you just admit that you’re in love with me just as much as I am with you?” Kira said in a tearful way, “Because it isn’t easy for me. Love’s never been easy for me. I need time to think before I can give you an answer.” The car began to pick up more and more speed and Adam finally had to let go. He cried out, “Whoa!” as he fell to the dirt ground. As Kira drove away, Eric and the rest of the guys (who had watched the whole thing from inside the diner) ran up to Adam and helped him struggle to his feet. Eric asked, “Adam, are you all right?” He gruffly replied, “Yeah, I’m all right.” Lucas asked, “Adam, are you gonna be okay?” Adam brushed the dirt off of himself, looked up and watched the last cloud of dust disappear and said, “You were right Lucas. I shouldn’t have said what I said to her, because I just made the biggest and stupidest mistake of my life and now I totally and completely regret it.” The impact of the fall and all the running he’d done had temporarily weakened his knees and leg muscles, so he leaned on Eric and Lucas as they helped him walk back to the diner. Trip and Wes followed close behind them.

 

        When they got back inside the diner, Eric and Lucas helped Adam sit down in one of the booths. Then they went to get him some icepacks and a beverage. As Adam winced in pain, Anthony came up to him and said, “Hello Adam.” He slowly looked up and said, “Oh hi Mr. Ford.” Anthony asked, “May I sit down?” Adam replied, “Go right ahead sir.” Anthony sat down and said, “I um, I saw what happened out there Adam, and I just wanna say I’m sorry.” Adam asked, “Who’re you sorry for, me or your daughter?” Anthony replied, “I’m sorry for you Adam. My daughter wasn’t the one who held onto the door of a moving car, ran alongside said car and then fell down and hurt their self. What I saw you do out there was probably the craziest, most desperate, daring, surprising and bravest thing I’ve ever seen a man like you do for the woman he must love.” Adam said, “Yeah well, love can make a person do some crazy things like that. I just don’t understand. My heart was in the right place and I thought I was doing the right thing. Did I do something wrong to deserve that? Was I wrong in telling her how I felt about her?” Anthony replied, “No Adam, you didn’t do anything wrong, and you did do the right thing. It’s just that Kira and love have never exactly seen eye to eye. She’s only had three other men in her life. Two of them cheated on her and one was just using her to make his ex-girlfriend jealous. They all broke her heart and she’s been running away from love ever since then.” Adam said, “But that won’t happen to her with me. Can’t she understand that?” Anthony replied, “Of course she can understand it. She just can’t see it yet. That’s why she left, because what you said caught her off guard and now she needs time to be alone. She probably has to clear her head and think about everything. You give it time and I guarantee you that she’ll be back here before the end of the night.” Adam asked, “But isn’t there a way I can get a message out to her now?” Anthony replied, “I don’t know. You may have to figure that out.” Adam slowly turned his head and looked out the window. All he could see was the radio station, and then it hit him. He looked at Anthony and asked, “Anthony? Does Kira ever listen to the radio station?” He replied, “Yeah she does. Why do you ask?” Adam slowly stood up and said, “Because I’m gonna send her a message, through the healing powers of music.” He hobbled his way over to Johnny and the rest of the gang. He asked, “Hey guys? How do you feel about broadcasting our music over the radio?” Everyone looked at each other, and then they looked back at Adam with smiles on their faces.

 

Kira meanwhile, was riding down the highway. She wasn’t sure where she was going and right now, she didn’t care. All she knew was that she had to get as far away from town as possible, and she had to find a place where she could be alone and think about Adam and what he’d said to her about his feelings. The truth was that she was too proud and scared at the moment to admit anything to anyone, including herself. All she could think was, “I can’t believe I let myself get involved with another man. For all I know, he might still leave town whether or not he has real feelings for me and that’s a risk I’m just not willing to take.” She couldn’t hide the tears that were developing in her mud brown eyes as she continued driving down the highway.

 

        Ten minutes later, Johnny, Adam and the rest of the band had rendezvoused at the radio station. Everyone had their instruments and a microphone. As Adam settled himself on the stool, Jen asked, “Adam, are you sure you wanna do this?” Adam raised up his right arm and said, “Jen, I made this mess and now I’m gonna fix it. But I’m gonna need all of you to help me.” He tapped the mike and asked, “Johnny? Are we ready to go?” Johnny replied, “Yeah. I’m gonna call Kira and we’ll be all set in about two minutes.” He flipped open his phone, scrolled down to Kira’s number and hit the dial button. The phone rang twice before he heard her voice, “Hello?” Johnny said, “Hello Kira? It’s Johnny. This probably isn’t the best time to ask but, would you mind tuning into our station?” As silly as she felt, she turned on the radio and tuned it to the station. He asked, “Are you on it?” She replied, “Yeah.” Johnny flipped the on switch and gave Adam the thumbs up sign. Adam spoke into the microphone, “Kira. Before you turn off the radio, I’d like you to at least hear me out. Considering the physical and emotional pain that you caused me earlier today, I think you owe me this much. Your dad told me about your past relationship problems and I just wanna tell you that if you consent to be with me, then you will never have a love problem ever again. And to prove my love to you, I’m going to use the healing powers of our music. Let’s do it guys.” Together, they started off small performing songs like You’re in my Heart, Beautiful Soul, Baby Come Back and Following a Star. Then they kicked it up a notch with songs like Together Forever, Never Gonna Give You Up, Something Happened on the Way to Heaven, Raised on the Radio, I’ll Leave it up to You, I Will Always Think About You, Don’t Pull Your Love Out On Me Baby, If I Had Eyes, SOS, and Lay All Your Love On Me. Sarah and the girls joined in with their renditions of For You I Will, Torn, I’ll Never Get Over You, Forget Me Nots and Saving All My Love for You. Finally, Adam rounded things out with one of the greatest love songs of all time: Promise Ain’t Enough by Hall & Oates. After that truly riveting performance, Adam spoke into the mike again, “Kira, if you’re still listening, I hope you liked what you heard. When and if you decide to come back home, I’ll be waiting for you in the place where we first met, at the Hard Times Café. We’ll all be waiting for you there. I just hope you make the right choice and come back to me. Take your time Kira. I’ll be there waiting for you all day. Please come home when you’re ready.”

 

        By now, Kira had driven herself out to the middle of a grassy meadow. She had turned the car off and was sitting inside of it trying awfully hard to recuperate herself. She had calmed herself down enough to stop crying. She had changed to a different radio station, but she kept hearing romantic songs like Sway, Linger and Kiss Me. She finally had to turn it off. She was just beginning to finally relax. She closed her eyes and began to think. Visions of Adam began to flow through her mind. Everything that had happened between her and Adam that week continued to play over and over in her head. Little by little, Kira slowly began to realize that the short time she’d spent with Adam had been the happiest time of her life. It was at that point that she realized she was in love Adam as much as he was with her. She opened her eyes and realized how very wrong and hurtful she had been to Adam. She also knew that she had to apologize to him in the biggest way she could think of. She knew exactly what she had to do and where she had to go. She started her car, slowly pulled out of the meadow and took off for what she thought seemed to be like parts unknown.

 

        Back in Piedmont Cove, Adam was inside the diner sitting in a booth sulking with himself. Everyone else was sitting either in a table or at the counter. Trip looked at him and said, “Man. I’ve never seen Adam so torn up and downhearted before.” Lucas said, “Well what do you expect man? The poor guy just got his heart broken to pieces. He’s probably so sad that he won’t even want to talk or sing anymore.” Wes suggested, “Maybe we should try and cheer him up.” Eric replied, “We can try that later. Right now, I think the best thing for us to do is to give him his space and let him sulk.” The girls were looking at him too. Tori said, “Look at the poor baby, he looks completely helpless. He probably feels helpless too.” Sarah suggested, “Maybe we should go over there and try to comfort him.” Jen shook her head and said, “Look, I know my stepbrother okay? If we give him an hour, two hours top, he’ll feel a whole lot better and he’ll bounce back.” Katie stood up and said, “I don’t care. Adam’s like a brother to me. So I’m gonna go sit with him and give him some comfort.” She went and sat down next to Adam just as Conner came up to him and said, “Hey Adam. I thought you might be hungry so I brought you this whole tray of food that I know you like.” He set the tray down in the middle of the booth and Adam said, “Thank you C-man.” Katie put her arm around Adam and said, “Adam, this is Katie speaking. If you need a hug or a shoulder to cry on, or if you need someone to talk to, I’m right here for you.” Adam wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. He was secretly imagining that it was Kira he was hugging, not Katie. Then he heard his stomach growl and he let go of her. The tray consisted of a grilled cheese sandwich, chicken strips and a lot of French fries. He picked up a ketchup bottle and said, “Katie, why don’t you go back and sit with the girls? If I need you, I’ll let you know.” Katie kissed him on his cheek and said, “Okay, and don’t worry. Everything will be all right.” As Katie walked away, Adam covered his food in ketchup and continued to sulk in his ever so doubtful emotional breakdown.

 

        Meanwhile, Kira had driven all the way out to Calumet City. She finally stopped in front of a small white house in a suburban neighborhood. She locked up her car, walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. At first there was no answer, so she tried knocking on the door. A voice from inside said, “Okay, I’m coming.” The door opened to reveal a 30-something young woman with pitch black hair. She looked at Kira and said, “Hello sweetheart.” Kira replied, “Hi mom. Can I come in?” She replied, “Yes, please do. I was about to brew some coffee. Would you care for some?” Kira replied, “Yes please. I could actually use a nice hot cup of Joe right now.” Kira followed her mom into the kitchen and sat down at the table. Her mom handed her a small mug and sat down across from her. As Kira sipped her coffee, Michelle asked, “Boy, I haven’t seen you in almost two years sweetie. So how’ve you been?” Kira replied, “Right now, I could be a lot better mom.” Michelle asked, “How are you and dad doing in Piedmont Cove?” Kira replied, “Dad and I are doing fine and Piedmont Cove is really nice.” Then Michelle asked, “How’s your music career coming along?” Kira said, “It’s coming along really well.” Michelle asked, “So what brings you by after all this time?” Kira said, “The truth is mom, that I came here because I needed to ask you for some advice. Love advice to be more specific.” Michelle said, “Ooh, this is something serious.” Kira took a deep breath and began to tell the whole story. She said, “I met this boy named Adam Logan on Sunday night. He and his friends came to town because their truck broke down on them, but that’s beside the point. The point is that I’ve been spending time with him all week and I really like him. We both have so much in common, especially when it comes to music.” Michelle asked, “So what seems to be the problem?” Kira said, “This morning, he told me that he was in love with me, and instead of returning the feeling, I flipped out and panicked, so I got in my car and drove out of town. I’ve been driving around all day trying to clear my head. It was only sometime shortly there afterwards that I realized that I really do love Adam as much as he loves me, and the short time I’ve spent with him has been the happiest I’ve ever felt in my whole life. I know that I have to go back and apologize to him, tell him how I feel and make up for what I put him through. That is what I want your advice on. Would you happen to know how I can apologize to him in the biggest way possible?” Michelle replied, “Well. That’s quite a question and an even bigger predicament honey. You said that you both like music right? So why don’t you use the healing powers of music to tell him how sorry you are? I’m sure he’ll take you back if you try it that way.” Kira smiled and asked, “Mom, would you happen to have something sexy I could wear tonight for when I apologize to him?” Michelle smiled and said, “Come upstairs with me and we’ll do a little raid through my closet. We’ll find you something.” They both left the kitchen and went upstairs to the bedroom.

 

        Later in town that afternoon, right before night began to fall, Adam was slowly but surely starting to come around. He still wasn’t happy, but at least he was showing a different emotion other than sadness. Eric and the rest of the gang were sitting with him. Eric said to him, “I’m really glad to see that you’re on your way back to a smile Adam. You just keep on thinking positive and before you know it, things will get better.” Lucas added, “That’s right Adam. It’s just like the song goes, “I’m not gonna stop ‘cause that’s who I am. I’ll give it all I’ve got because that is my plan. Will I find what I lost? You know that you can bet on it.” You remember those words and they’ll cheer you up in no time buddy.” Adam said, “Thanks guys. I always knew I could count on you all to be there for me.” Conner, Ethan, Trent and the girls all approached Adam. Trent asked, “How’re you holding out Adam?” Adam replied, “I’m still a little shook up, but I’ll be okay. That’s one good thing to know about me. I always bounce back from a problem no matter how big or small it might be.” Charlie asked, “Would it help you bounce back faster if you and your band performed with us tonight?” Adam said, “We might as well since it could be our last performance here.” Ethan asked, “What did you just say?” Adam replied, “You heard what I said Ethan. If Kira doesn’t come back by tonight, then I’m leaving tomorrow morning.” Jen asked, “After everything you went through to convince us to stay here, you just wanna throw it all away like that?” Adam said, “Kira was the reason I tried to convince you guys in the first place. Without her, I have no reason to stay here.” Monica said, “That’s not true Adam. You’ve got a lot of reasons to stay here.” Nikki added, “Yeah. You have us, and that should be a good enough reason to stay here.” Rachel said, “You’re like a part of our family now Adam, and you can’t abandon family.” Conner threw in his two bits and said, “They’re right Adam. It’s not just Kira you’ve bonded with. You’ve bonded with all of us, especially me and we’d all miss you and your buddies.” Adam took everything in and said, “Well you guys aren’t giving me a good enough reason, but yeah you’re giving me a reason.” Johnny said, “I’ll tell you something else. If Kira doesn’t come back by tonight, then tomorrow we’ll help you go look for her.” Adam said, “Thanks guys. I guess you really are my family.” Rachel said, “Oh. That reminds me Adam. My uncle Russell wanted me to tell you that he finally finished fixing your truck. I would’ve told you sooner, but considering the way you were feeling, I figured it was best to wait and tell you when you were feeling better.” Adam said, “That was very considerate of you Rachel and thank you. I just wish I knew where Kira is. Then I could go out and look for her. I just hope that she comes home really soon.”

 

        When nightfall came around, it was half past seven. Justin and Conner began setting up for the nightclub scene. Adam and the others were up onstage rehearsing and tuning their instruments. Trent, Ethan, and Johnny were seated at the head table. Rachel and Monica were seated across from them. Russell, Roger, and Anthony were all sitting at different tables. Adam finally sat down on the stool and spoke into the microphone, “Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Tonight we are proud to present, together for the first time ever: the combined performances of Adam and The Alley Cat Blues and The Heavenly Angels!” The room was combusting with applause. The girls started out by singing small stuff like Come See about Me, Together Again, Doesn’t Really Matter, Get into The Groove, La Isla Bonita, Come on Over and Genie in a Bottle.       

 

           Elsewhere outside, Kira was in her car making her final approach back into Piedmont Cove. She had turned off her car lights because she didn’t want to be seen by anyone. Instead of going around the back of the diner, she drove on towards her house. She went inside and came back out three minutes later carrying both her acoustic guitar and her Gibson Flying-V guitar. She got back in the car and drove it around the back of the diner. Then she took the keys out of the ignition and put them back in the glove compartment. With one guitar in her hand, and another strapped on her back, she went into the diner through the backstage entrance.

 

        While Kira was sneaking in backstage, Adam was speaking into the microphone, “I wanna dedicate these songs to our beloved friend Kira. Wherever you are, I hope you’re on your way home girl.” He began singing Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac. Then he sang Rock Steady, Always and Forever, Cruel to Be Kind, Just the Girl, Maggie May, Some Guys Have All the Luck and he rounded it off with I’m Still Here. Then he spoke into the microphone again, “I uh, believe this song will pretty much self-explain the way things have been going for me today. It only goes to show that breaking up is a really, really hard thing to do.” That was when Kira decided to make her move. She picked up a microphone headset from a table, put them on, hit the on switch, and spoke into it, “Nobody’s gonna be breaking up anybody or anything tonight Adam.” The room suddenly went eerily quiet. Adam called out, “Kira? Is that you?” She replied, “Yes Adam. I’m back, and I’m here to tell you something very important, and I think the best way for me to tell you is through song.” Adam asked, “Where are you?” She smiled and said, “Right back here.” Nikki, being the closest, quickly pulled on the curtain rope. As it opened up, Kira began to play on her Gibson Flying-V. The entire place boomed as everyone began to applaud while Adam slowly turned around. Just like the first time he saw her, Adam was completely awestruck with happiness. She was wearing a white dress with yellow daisies all over it and yellow heels. She began to sing I Don’t Want to by Ashley Monroe and Ronnie Dunn. Adam quickly stood up and began to play and sing along with her. They both slowly moved closer to each other. They moved closer and closer until they were both three feet apart from each other. It was quite a sight to behold. When the song ended, Kira asked, “Adam, can I talk to you outside please?” Adam said, “Sure thing.” He walked over to the mike and said, “Listen up everyone. Kira and I are gonna step outside for a minute, so until then, please enjoy the musical styles of my buddy Eric and The Alley Cat Blues.” They both walked off the stage and went outside the main entrance.

 

        They stood right outside the door and Adam asked, “Okay, so what’s up?” Kira said, “First of all Adam, I just wanna say that I’m really, very, truly, madly and deeply sorry for everything I put you through today.” Adam said, “Maybe we could hold the apologies until the end of this. What I really wanna know is why you ran away like that today.” She replied, “Adam, love is the most powerful force on earth. But it’s also the most complicated force and it can sometimes do really, really crazy stuff to you. When you told me that you were in love with me, instead of returning my feelings to you, I got scared and I panicked. So I ran from you and I drove out of here.” He asked, “What did you get scared for? Were you mad at me or something?” She said, “No Adam, it had nothing to do with you whatsoever. It was me. I was scared and afraid of being hurt again. But now I realize that I was wrong. I’m not gonna make a mistake like that ever again. That is a solemn promise.” He asked, “Well if you weren’t mad at me, then why did you take off the way you did?” She replied, “I left because I had to be alone and have time to figure out what to do. I also needed to think, and I mean do some very serious thinking.” He asked, “Think about what?” She said, “You, me and love.” He asked, “What did you decide?” Kira replied, “I decided that, oh Adam I love you.” Adam said, “You know what? I love you too Kira.” They put their arms around each other and shared a long, meaningful, passionate kiss. They soon heard applause coming from inside the café. They looked inside and saw everyone applauding them, everyone except for Eric, Nikki, Sarah, and Johnny. Sarah and Johnny were lip-locking with each other. Adam saw Eric telling Nikki something who responded by leaping into his arms and kissing him. That meant he’d told her that he loved her too. With their guitars holstered on their shoulders, Adam and Kira once again took hold of each others hands and walked back inside the café together. Everyone sang, played, and danced long into the night. As she had promised, Kira let Adam play her Gibson Flying-V when they played the final songs of the evening, all of which were considered some of the best love songs of all time: (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life, The Start of Something New, Breaking Free, You Are the Music in Me, Right Here Right Now, If I Never Knew You and Can You Feel the Love Tonight. Adam and Kira ended the night with another passionate kiss.

 

        By the end of the summer, Adam, Jen, and the rest of the gang had all decided to make Piedmont Cove their permanent home. Roger Lawrence made good on his promise and helped launch the musical career and recording deal of Adam and the Alley Cat Blues, which Kira, Sarah, Nikki, and Charlie were all lucky to become part of. Adam and Jen’s parents would later go on to visit them in Piedmont Cove at least three to four times a year. Adam and Kira dated each other for three years before they got married. Adam and the Alley Cat Blues later went on tour after their meteoric rise to fame. Trent and Johnny went along on their grand tour as well. Over the course of the next five years, Adam and The Alley Cat Blues had cut and released a total of seven albums, had over twenty chart-topping singles, earned three Grammy awards and had even garnered themselves a movie deal. But through all the fame and fortune, and the glitz and the glamour, Adam and the others always remembered where it had all started: in the small legendary town of Piedmont Cove Indiana. They still live there to this day with their biggest fans and closest friends Conner and Justin McKnight, Ethan James, Trent Fernandez, Rachel and Russell Dawson, Monica Reynolds, Roger Lawrence, Anthony Ford and Johnny Samuels. That one summer, Adam Tyler Logan was on a journey to keep his friends together, and what he got in return was not only his friends, but also a second family, a promising future and Kira Ford, the one woman who had become the one true love of his life.

 

The End

© 2018 Joey Hubbard


Author's Note

Joey Hubbard
Please feel free to like, comment, rate, and critique my work. I'd appreciate some good feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 29, 2018
Last Updated on January 29, 2018
Tags: young adult, coming of age, teens, musical, romance

Author

Joey Hubbard
Joey Hubbard

Chicago, IL



About
I’m a 28 year old man from the Windy City of Chicago. I’ve been writing since I was about 11. I’ve written three stories since I was 16. I’ve been working on my latest story fo.. more..

Writing