Tuesday 10:33

Tuesday 10:33

A Story by Johanna
"

I didn´t know what to call this one.. I never upload my stories usually, but excited to see what you think of this .. and if you like it I will continue :)

"

Tuesday 10:33


She looked at me in a strange way, like she could see right through me; though the thought of that made me feel like ice was running down my spine. If she could see just how cold and damaged I was she wouldn´t be looking at me at all. I broke away from her gaze, and tried to find a more comfortable position on my chair. My eyes still kept flickering back to hers; they were moss green, and always thoughtful. Like she was thinking more than any other human being in the world, maybe she was, for it to be showing so much in her eyes. The museum director cleared his throat; she smiled briefly before finally turning her attention towards the front of the room. I followed suit. It was an older man today, night and day from the young lady from last time. He was short and lanky, wearing a plain gray suit that was too big for him. His voice was low and muffled through his gray beard; I had to focus hard to catch every word. “Thank you for joining us today ladies and gentleman, before I show you around; let me tell you a little about this grand, famous and treasured building. Here at the British Museum we have the finest collection in existence…spanning two million years of human history…” He rattled off the information without passion, like he had done it a million times before, he probably had. I smiled half-heartedly along with the other´s as he tried to crack a joke; inwardly frustrated that he was taking so long. The minutes passed slowly, finally we rose. She caught my eye again as the group vaguely gathered around grey-suit. He led us towards the wide staircase on the left side of the room; everyone started copying his pace as the group walked up the stairs. She and I and an old lady made up the back. She rested her hand elegantly on the railing as she was walking upward, while the old lady strode up gruffly right in the middle. I tried not to get distracted, this was when it counted, and every detail was crucial.

 

As I walked I let information soak through my mind, every corner, every door, every sign while graysuit´s droning voice went on deepening my insight. He seemed a little more experiences than the girl from yesterday, but with a lot less energy and interest. No surprise there. We walked past the jade plaque of the Maya king when she decided to say hallo, or “Do you see anything interesting?” as she preferred to put it. Her tone was soft, nonchalant. I decided to reply honestly, “not really. I prefer ancient Egypt over the Maya´s.” She nodded, and smiled politely. I waited for her to say something else but she seemed satisfied. We walked, I tried to regain focus, trail my steps from yesterday, aware of any change. Everything was like clockwork, secure, the same number of people at each door, a false sense of safety. When we stepped into the Egyptian section on the second floor she glanced my way again smirking, raising her eyebrows. Her eyes holding the same depth they had done when we had been sitting downstairs. She was surprising, staring someone in the eyes seemed to be her way of communicating. I was surprised of what an unsettling feeling it gave me, I usually avoided eye contact with people except when it was needed. The rest of the time it was better to fade into the background. I wanted to know what she wanted, if it was my number, why not just ask? Everyone in our group were easy to read, bored but utterly predictable, exactly the kind of people I liked. She was different, either very unpredictable or just the same as the rest of them, if she was, she was hiding it well.

 

I listened to graysuit another half hour before the tour came to an end. Two hours on the dot. A polite applause and the group broke up, everyone walking in different directions. I looked at my watch again and realized I had more time than I had assumed. Graysuit had spent ten minutes and eleven seconds less than the girl from yesterday, I had time for coffee. I started walking toward the exit carefully avoiding a bunch of German tourists. She was still standing in the center of the room, talking to greysuit, he looked angry. Frowning at her and shaking his head to what she was saying. I was tempted to go back and listen, but decided against it, I needed coffee. Coffee would take away the edge of my exhaustion, and my appointment required me to be fully alert. Ready. When it was over, I´d sleep

© 2014 Johanna


Author's Note

Johanna
I didn´t know what to call this one.. I never upload my stories usually, but excited to see what you think of this .. and if you like it continue :)

PS. Let me know of any writing mistakes, english is not my first language.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really want to know what eventually happened between you two.... Good one here....

Posted 9 Years Ago


I liked the way you have described some ordinary things so effectively that we are able to imagine everything with the help of your words. I like original ideas which avoid predictable plots and this is one of them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Johanna

9 Years Ago

Thankyou avinash! means a lot to me :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 9, 2014
Last Updated on June 21, 2014
Tags: Museum, crime, mystery, secret, look, eyes, she, job, exhausted, alert, action

Author

Johanna
Johanna

Norway



About
I´ve started to post most of my poems on my facebook poetry page instead. If you like my work, feel free to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/johannamagdalenapoetry?_rdr=p Hope you have .. more..

Writing
Trust Trust

A Poem by Johanna


A long time A long time

A Poem by Johanna