Quantum Dream

Quantum Dream

A Story by Dakota
"

I have no idea where this came from.

"

There are times in which I simply choose not to be here. I don’t die and I certainly don’t move from where I’m sitting. I simply shift to another world, another reality really. It’s simple for me to do, like blinking or breathing, but nigh impossible for most others. Nearly every person and version of that person lacks my talent. I’ll live in one world for a few years, get bored, and then move to the next. Sometimes I’ll get into trouble and have to zip out before I’m destroyed. Despite my talent I’m completely mortal. I've tried to enter a world where there are such means to live forever but these worlds always end in some contrived way, usually a massive fire. I set those fires sometimes. More to the point, I revel in mortality because of the limit, because it makes everything matter more.


Right now, I’m sitting in a park on the concrete rim of a pond eating an apple. It’s a normal red apple, much like the apples I grew up with. I lived on a farm before I lived everywhere. In those days I struggled to keep the good fight going, to find my place in this world, and to find a mate. I accomplished two of those goals. But in the pursuit of the first and third I destroyed my chances for the second. I always had a problem with shutting my mouth, with stopping my mind from seeing connections. This is what was wrong with me. I saw too much and talked too much. It must be a way in which nature keeps the human race struggling to become gods; keeping smart people flawed enough to render little to no change. Often enough these people are burnt at the stake, sometimes metaphorically. Intelligence is defined as capacity for learning, reasoning, and understanding; mankind believes more in concocting ways to fake this. It works and I sometimes feel sorry for the poor souls to trust that deceptive creature. Predicting what can happen next is often a past-time of humans before they die.


I digress.


There was one girl I loved. She was the pale blind girl; she made it alright in high school but was made fun of throughout the lower grades. I saw her face, pale as it was, as a perfect thing. Too poetic, sorry. It was a mess though, messy dark hair, undeveloped�"incomplete I should say.


I finished the apple and am now in a world where it was a pear. I’m eating it.


I thought to myself, one day, that if she could only see the world she would be perfect. I felt a tightening in my gut and she became a different girl. This girl wore stylish clothes, her hair was a hazel blond, and her face was still her face. She turned to a bulky Neanderthal�"I wonder if I’m real or just an observer�"and kissed him. The chemicals in my brain fired off and I shot into another world. In an instant this new world, through wild and extreme powers of quantum science, the Neanderthal’s head exploded. Blood went everywhere. I thought it probably wasn't safe there anymore.


I can’t judge time either; I have a watch, thirteenth one. It rests on my wrist and tells me the time on another world where different time affects different particles of the same watch. I finish the pear; I peer up to the floating cephalopod above. Its bulbous, almost cartoonish, eyes on either side well up with cuteness. It silently begs for the pear core, pleading with cutesy eyes. I toss it to him and walk away; I pass a sign which says: ‘DO NOT FEED SQUIDS’. I wonder if I should go to a world where squids rule over the people who put that sign there, realizing it would be the same as if I wished myself to a world ruled by squirrels.


The repetitiveness of the worlds gets old after a while, like traveling too much, seeing too much. I’ve seen enough to realize that the sum total of any one human’s understanding or knowledge of the universe is less than a perceivable number when you factor in the m multiverse. They called this that in the world I’m from, made a whole lot of stories and movies about it. If you’re reading this in a universe deprived of movies, they are basically the same story that’s been told just with different actors and sets.

I’m in a place, dark, where the sun is a black hole. It swallowed up the worlds around it. I wonder what the civilizations were like or if they knew this was how they’d end. I also wondered if they had movies, wondered if they were better than those at home.


I look behind me and see the dark men, the shadow people. They’re men who are not men. They were men but somehow have lost their bodies and live in all worlds. Their power is only equaled by their apathy. This multiverse, this side of it, is spared from their destructive nature because this is the side where they’re procrastinating. It is laziness which saves this side of creation. I spoke to someone about that, I’m there now. I’m looking through a window as I watch the professor explain the shadow men, the dynamics of the universe, and a few things I know more about now. If I change universes too many times it alerts them to my scent. Though they’re too lazy to destroy the universe, consume it like a black hole consumes everything, they’re hunger is enough to get them out of bed and chase me down. There was a video game where something similar happened. There were only three worlds where I found that game fun.


I’m standing at the far side of a cliff. There’s an enormous sunset in the distance, it illuminates a primordial jungle. Dinosaurs roam about, unaware of any disasters or their probability of surviving. I would care if I wasn't seeing myself. I was standing on the other side of the cliff, standing in front of the sun. I’m wrapping my arms around a lovely girl, can’t tell if it’s her, as we watch the sun set over the primordial world.


It is my future.


I’m in my home, my new home. To human perspective it is a sphere with a white interior. I've furnished it as I've seen fit, changed it at will. This is the point in space where I can see the particles pass from one universe to another. All universes are connected in this way; atoms die in one universe but pass into another to form another atom as that one grows. It looks like a pendulum. 


I watch a movie.

© 2013 Dakota


Author's Note

Dakota
Does this sound like a story or a load of crap. I need help sorting that out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on May 2, 2013
Last Updated on May 2, 2013
Tags: multiverse, strange, bizarre, deep, weird, short

Author

Dakota
Dakota

About
I'm a beginning writer with a growing number of active projects I am working on simultaneously. I'm an intelligent and enjoyable conservationist as well as a lover of many topics. more..

Writing
CH 1 CH 1

A Chapter by Dakota


Untitled Untitled

A Book by Dakota


Red Morning Red Morning

A Chapter by Dakota